Indycar 2019

relapse98

44 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

Are you guys watching somewhere? I just have radio through the app. They said something about Alonso had a punctured tire or something. 

Has someone seen something like that to explain his first run?

i remembered that it was on just after his run.  they said he had a cut tire.  that's his only run afaik. 

reddit has streams for motorsports

PT saying let it go down the track as Alonso was running straight toward the finish line.

I was wondert about that earlier, I suppose the cars want to go left so even though it's a slightly longer distance to move down and back up on the straights, the car scrubs enough trying to go straight that it's overall slower.

Finally watched and really enjoyed the Grand Prix of Indianapolis from last weekend.  Loved all those moves Pagenaud pulled off to win the race in the rain.

I like the way Indycar does qualifying for their normal races. I really dislike the way they do qualifying for the Indy500. 

Edited by utee94

Well the Indy 500 is a bit different than the normal races in that the cars are qualifying to actually get INTO the race, not just starting order. There are also teams that only run the 500 which is why there are hours and hours of practice leading up to the race.

I like it. All the work put into all of these practices leading up to actual high stakes qualifying builds enormous tension. You just don't get that in lots of other series. And you know at any second someone can hit the wall and it's all over.

No matter how slow the Williams is in F1, you know they're in the race and will pointlessly circle at the back. For the 500, a car like that goes home.

Edited by Hawndoh
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, elfenix said:

i'm really amazed at how flip resistant these cars are

I am terrified with how many side-crashes have ended up with cars airborne.  Yes, they all came back down on the proper way, but I think that's just luck.  One of these gets up into the catch-fence it could get ugly.

the indy 500 is a different beast.  it's the oldest continuously operated race (everyone excepts WW2) at the same location in the world (predating the 24 hours by 12 years).  a national championship was built around it, but you go back in time to the 40s and it's the only paved track on the schedule.  the other races were all dirt tracks and pike's peak.  it was part of the FIA's world championship from 1950 through 1960 (then the manufacturer's championship came into being, and i'm going to assume ferrari didn't want to build one-off cars for indianapolis).  even when other paved tracks became part of the championship, indy was still the only superspeedway (most were 1 mile ovals, which just ain't that fast).  it was often the first race of the season (so the biggest event first, like nascar). so, considering all that, all the practice and all the qualifying made a lot of sense.  and it's also a rectangle with 4 distinct corners rather than most speedways where 1 and 2, and 3 and 4 aren't really separate corners. 

maybe if it were only open to those running in the full time championship they could change the long practice and qualifying schedule.  but it's not.  it's always been a part of but separate from the national championship.  which is really weird considering the tight relationship between the speedway and its sanctioning body since AAA pulled out (and that weirdness has helped lead to two splits so far in american open wheel.  could be mostly roger penske's fault).

it's nice that we have the indy GP instead of a full month of not racing in prep for a race, though. 

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1

The qualifying that NBC showed today was awesome. The fact that a 2 time F1 champion has to fight tomorrow to make the field is huge. 

So happy for Pippa. Man, Hinchcliffe can't catch a break. And I dont get the Arrow backup car being a road car. Do they not have spare oval cars? That hard up for cash?

Last chance qualifying set to finally happen in about 10 minutes. They only got about 20 mins of practice this morning and McLaren had problems again. 

Kaiser didn't practice at all. Chilton had problems too. Hinchcliffe ran a mock qualy and ran a time that would probably put him in the race. 

They all get only one run. 

• Like 1