Indycar 2019

relapse98

Fucking clown show.

My buddy who works for Indycar Radio said Alonso was very chill, collected, and honest with himself after getting bumped. Stayed and signed autographs. Did some interviews. He will be back.

Got my ticket yesterday - paddock penthouse. The section stuck on top of the grandstands. Outside of home stretch - quarter mile short from the pagoda. Can see the chute for turn 4 and 1 and even catch glimpses of the cars on the backstretch.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, elfenix said:

Why does my sister always schedule her birthday brunch during the 500?

Because you touch yourself?

No, seriously, my folks were always trying to do stuff on the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend as well.  So my brother finally put an end to it by hosting an annual Monaco Grand Prix/Indy 500 party at his house.  We do Euro breakfast and Champagne and watch Monaco (delayed until about 10 AM) and then go immediately into American lunch and beer whilst watching Indy.  

Perhaps you could offer to host her at your house, with the race being on your televisions throughout the event, of course? :)

• Like 1

Doomlet was nearly born on Big Race Day. We would have named him Miles if that had been the case. 

I'm molding him into a race fan, so we should be able to watch all three in peace going forward, but it was inconvenient during his first year or two before I could count on his vote. 

I was a little worried about Tirico doing the race as he has never done it before. Diffy isn't the best but he knows the series and the names and can identify the cars. 

Looks like Tirico is "host" of the broadcast with Danica Patrick but the normal crew of Diffy and Townshend, etc are actually calling the race. 

I expect there to be a lot of off track stories going on but hopefully it doesn't take away actual track action. At least maybe split screen it or something. 

If you’re watching at home, here’s what I’d do: sync up your tv (muted) with the radio broadcast. It’s infinitely better than the tv guys. And my friend is the broadcaster in turn 3. Born and bred Indy and his passion (as well as all the radio commenters) carries over. They just do a fantastic job.

5 hours ago, elfenix said:

Probably not going off on Sunday anywaya2658b6b5c72468bac4a65f7db8b1b69.jpg

I sure hope it does. Cubs game this afternoon: possible rain. Indy 500 tomorrow: rain likely, but a possible window at race time. Awesome. Rain gear: Packed.

A pretty good storm passed through about 5am north of town where we are staying. But it's all calm and dry now. It looks like most of the storm is going to go north of us and we might get some showers off and on. Just got parked on the street less than a mile from the track. No traffic, even though we were told we should leave an hour earlier than we did. So we got that goin' for us...

Edited by wood

On 5/23/2019 at 5:07 PM, BlueGreySky said:

If you’re watching at home, here’s what I’d do: sync up your tv (muted) with the radio broadcast. It’s infinitely better than the tv guys. And my friend is the broadcaster in turn 3. Born and bred Indy and his passion (as well as all the radio commenters) carries over. They just do a fantastic job.

Not sure what that's supposed to mean. Paul and Townsend do a great job and have great driver knowledge.  

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

Helluva driving clinic by Pagenaud.  Man what a well-driven race.  Maybe the most deserving run I've seen in 30 years, those last 10 laps he rewrote the book on how to protect a lead.

Been saying it for years. Pagenaud is going to kill someone out there. Never been a fan

Pagenaud deserved to win this race. Did you see his interview after the race? Never got flustered when Rossi passed him with <2 laps left. He knew he had the car and the ability to pass and hold the lead at the end. Indy GP winner,  pole position, and Indy 500 champ--what a month. 

4 hours ago, rantanamo said:

Not sure what that's supposed to mean. Paul and Townsend do a great job and have great driver knowledge.  

And then there's Leigh "The Human Outback Commercial" Diffey. 

So what's the point of a red flag if it takes another ~5 laps of yellow afterwards? 

28 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

And then there's Leigh "The Human Outback Commercial" Diffey. 

So what's the point of a red flag if it takes another ~5 laps of yellow afterwards? 

Yeah we were wondering a bit about that.

17 hours ago, pwinger said:

To shuffle the lap down cars to the back of the field.  I'm not sure why it took so long but the final laps were good.

That was the reason given by the trackside announcers, but nobody could understand why it was taking so long. It looked like the front end of the field was ready to go 3 or 4 laps prior to the green, but guys in the back kept pitting & fucking shit up. Marco pitted 2 or 3 laps in a row. The guys at the front were chomping at the bit to go. Even Rossi was saying he was getting pissed, even though more yellow flag running may have benefited him. Lots of fans were getting pretty pissed, booing, etc...

BTW IMS was beyond impressive. Amazing facility & wonderful people. The place is just massive, and well-run. They basically made the whole thing look easy. The museum is fantastic, and cheap. Walking the infield golf course area is like walking a nice park. Incredible experience, for me, but also esp for the boys. They had an absolute blast & were raving about the place even before the (great) race even started. Cannot recommend highly enough if you're thinking of ever going.

• Like 2

BTW IMS was beyond impressive. Amazing facility & wonderful people. The place is just massive, and well-run. They basically made the whole thing look easy. The museum is fantastic, and cheap. Walking the infield golf course area is like walking a nice park. Incredible experience, for me, but also esp for the boys. They had an absolute blast & were raving about the place even before the (great) race even started. Cannot recommend highly enough if you're thinking of ever going.

Glad you liked it! I lived in Indianapolis for six years and before I moved there never gave a shit about racing. Now the 500 is one of my favorite sports events, and I get so damn proud anytime somebody goes to IMS and has a great time. Had to miss the race this year, but try to go every year I can. It’s a cultural phenomenon.
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

The broadcast product is no better. 

Missed green flags, unannounced channel changes, copious commercials, Leigh Diffey, etc. 

Yeah I still see people bitching online that they miss the NBC coverage of F1. I do not understand that shit even a little bit. NBC is turrible. Sky's coverage of F1, while not perfect by a long shot, is far superior to NBC's.

Indycar used to put its races on YouTube the day after. I assume NBC paid for digital re-air rights but the app just sucks so much dick. I don't even really mind ads that much but when you're fast forwarding back to where you left off, then have to watch a 3 minute block of ads, then it goes to another block of ads, it's pretty frustrating.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2019 at 8:51 AM, Prepuce of Doom said:

The broadcast product is no better. 

Missed green flags, unannounced channel changes, copious commercials, Leigh Diffey, etc. 

Ah man, I wasn't sure if I was in the minority or what with Leigh Diffey. He knows things, has a long history as an announcer and I can respect that...but his voice is nails on a chalkboard for me. Like a Fosters beer or Outback commercial, way over the top Aussie.

• 2 weeks later...