Indycar 2019

relapse98

I guess their 2 biggest hurdles are the change to Chevy engines, that will probably be pretty significant, and the fact that they've bought into a 2nd or 3rd tier team that doesn't regularly win races and has never won an Indy level championship.

Edited by relapse98

Good gried lap 1 of Pocono. Some of these dudes need to chill. Basically ruin the race 2 miles in to a 500 mile race. 

Rosenqvuist went for quite a ride. Sato ended up upside down. Rossi out and basically screwed for the championship. 

Surprise surprise it's Sato being a bonehead. Dude needs to be out of the series. 

Edited by Hawndoh
  • Like 1

I'm assuming there's some history of Indycar issues at Pocono?  It's never been my favorite track, either from Indycar or from my time spent watching NASCAR there way back, but I didn't know there was something specific?

Definitely disappointed with that crash on lap 1, what a bummer.  Very glad nobody was injured.

Ovals can be fun, especially Indy. 

I do prefer road courses, though.

I'd be fine with like 50% road courses, 25% street courses and 25% ovals. 

I doubt Pocono ever comes back but 500 mile races at super speedway ovals is one of the things that has historically set this series apart from others, and those are disappearing. 

17 hours ago, Hawndoh said:

Ovals can be fun, especially Indy. 

I do prefer road courses, though.

I'd be fine with like 50% road courses, 25% street courses and 25% ovals. 

I doubt Pocono ever comes back but 500 mile races at super speedway ovals is one of the things that has historically set this series apart from others, and those are disappearing. 

gateway was crazy saturday night

Another IndyCar turn one mess. These guys need to relax on lap one, or Indy needs them to form up with more space between rows, or something because they can't seem to start a clean race. 

Seems the first 6 laps of each race is under yellow.

This time it was Rahal who seemed to think braking into the first turn wasn't really necessary. 

• 3 weeks later...

Good race today. Clean race, no major issues or bonehead crashes. 

Herta did a great job going pole to win. Newgarden gets the title. Pagenaud put up a good effort as did Rosenqvuist. 

Closest thing we had to a big mess was of course brought to us by Sato who decided to throw it in 3 wide entering the Corkscrew which caused Veach to bail out through the gravel but they got away with it without a major wreck. 

I try to ignore Diffey, but at one point it sounded like he was saying that the crowd was pretty good. Although he's often full of shit and/or just toeing the company line that it's hard to take him at his word. But it's also hard to tell crowd sizes at road and street courses. 

There didn't seem to be a ton of people in victory lane though. 

True to form, NBC managed to prioritize showing the same Golden Corral and Red Lobster commercials for the 15th time over cutting back to the action when crazy shit was happening, and then giving Diffey a 30 second bumper to talk about the upcoming NHL season (all while showing pictures of wine country scenery - not the race...). 

And fuck the continued network-wide slobbering over Ferucci. 

Newgarden had such a substantial safety net today that it was basically going to take something crazy or catastrophic to give the championship to Rossi or Pagenaud, but still an entertaining race. I'm not sure how I really feel about the whole "double points" thing though. 

This still seems way too early in the year to crown a champion though. 

• 3 weeks later...

Marcus Ericcsson is going to drive a 3rd Ganassi car next year. Pretty good step up from Arrow, and a little bit of a surprise. Rumor is also Ganassi may even run a 4th car because they have more capacity now and a bunch of crew employees from their IMSA teams that shutting down. 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, wood said:

It's very interesting how little time they wasted declaring their potential interest in bringing F1 back. 

Hearing that Rick Mears may be heavily involved.

PC-20, another great looking open wheel car.

1920px-RickMearsMonterey1991.jpg

By Stuart Seeger - Flickr, CC BY 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=3529847

The Indy thing is looking even more interesting in light of this news ...

Did COTA miss another Texas USGP subsidy deadline? https://www.wheels.ca/news/racing-roundup-penske-buys-indy-speedway-f1-and-nascar-are-both-in-trouble-in-the-u-s/

Now, F1 is having a problem in the States. They might tell you otherwise, but it’s a fact. I woke up Sunday to hear on local TV that the Circuit of the Americas, scene of this GP, had – once again – missed a deadline to apply for a state grant that would have covered the sanctioning fee required to have F1 show up. Somewhere in the vicinity of $25 million, which is not chump change. This has also happened in previous years, which makes you wonder what is really going on.

Anyway, there might be politics at play. The governor, Greg Abbott, has the power to over-ride the missed deadline and yet he refused.

On 11/5/2019 at 1:53 PM, wood said:

So, Robin Miller says the other bidder for IndyCar & IMS was Liberty Media.  That brings up some more questions ...

What questions?  LM buys The Indy series, rebrands it as Formula 1 America (or Americas if you want to include Canada), uses it as a farm league, and that’s that.   

F1 already has an extensive ladder system in Europe. They don't need Indy as a farm league. 

If anything Indy has served as a pasture for F1 retirees and washouts. 

I'm glad Penske is in control instead of Liberty. He is a business man and does want to run a successful business but he is also a racing fan, he understands the importance of the 500, and if anyone knows how to bring it back to the glory days of Champ Cars it's Roger. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

What questions?  LM buys The Indy series, rebrands it as Formula 1 America (or Americas if you want to include Canada), uses it as a farm league, and that’s that.   

Just some things bouncing around in my head ... like LM wanting to buy IMS & what they might do with it...

30 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

F1 already has an extensive ladder system in Europe. They don't need Indy as a farm league. 

If anything Indy has served as a pasture for F1 retirees and washouts. 

I'm glad Penske is in control instead of Liberty. He is a business man and does want to run a successful business but he is also a racing fan, he understands the importance of the 500, and if anyone knows how to bring it back to the glory days of Champ Cars it's Roger. 

Yeah I was thinking years ago that Bernie was gonna make a run on IndyCar, take it over and make it GP2 Americas. That way he could have a North & South American F1 ladder series & a racing series to compliment F1 in the Americas. 

& yeah, I think Penske is the perfect guy to run IndyCar.

I know it is unlikely but I would love to see Penske return the 500 to the days when it wasn't cookie-cutter racing. I used to really look forward to the month of May back when you didn't know who was bringing what and the internet didn't exist. Turbine cars, rear engine Lotus', pushrod Mercs. Crazy and fast. Leave the rest of the series alone for the obvious financial benefits but let the 500 be special again.

//old man shakes fist//

• Like 3

I heartily endorse Shoxthemonkey's post above. I miss the creativity, ingenuity, and variety that used to be a part of racing. Now everything is regulated and handicapped and homogenized to the nth degree. Some of it is economics, some of it is safety, some of it is to keep sponsors onboard, and some is the natural progression of engineering and optimizing a car towards a specific goal.

But I still want more 6-wheel F1 cars, turbine cars, and maybe even full-electric someday, all competing in the same field.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

I know it is unlikely but I would love to see Penske return the 500 to the days when it wasn't cookie-cutter racing. I used to really look forward to the month of May back when you didn't know who was bringing what and the internet didn't exist. Turbine cars, rear engine Lotus', pushrod Mercs. Crazy and fast. Leave the rest of the series alone for the obvious financial benefits but let the 500 be special again.

//old man shakes fist//

and here's where it all started (sorta):

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opinion/indycar/last-first-banned

On 11/7/2019 at 2:59 PM, Shoxthemonkey said:

For financial reasons, the 'rest of the series' will need to probably be the same car as Indy, for those that run the rest of the year. Those teams are already run pretty shoestring. they don't exactly have extra money to go throwing around for an Indy 500 car and then some rest of the year cars that may be different.

Also - I think it's easier to control speed with a spec car. Spec - easy as f to regulate so noone gets above a certain speed. Nospec - you're gonna be getting some sort of balance of performance, which is probably not the direction your dream would want to go. With BoP, they'll try and hold everyone to about the same general performance, negating whatever new and different things come to the race.

• 4 weeks later...

Fernando Alonso will 'definitely' be back at Indy in 2020 https://www.planetf1.com/news/alonso-will-definitely-be-back-at-indy-in-2020/

“I will definitely do Indy,” he told BBC Sport. “Let’s see how the next weeks unfold.

“Indy is the only one missing. If I do that after winning Le Mans, WEC, Daytona, there is nothing more I could ask.

“Definitely I will try again.”

Alonso says he is likely to go with either Andretti or the new McLaren Indy team when he tackles the 2020 edition.

“They are not the only options but for sure they are the strongest two.

“I have a loyalty to McLaren and there is also how good I felt in Andretti, and I feel part of that staff and team. I have a very good relationship there.”

Edited by wood

35 minutes ago, elfenix said:

he said that during the Q1-Q2 break on saturday afternoon (well, morning)

I saw that one too, but that was a different bit, where he mentioned 2020 Indy 2021 F1, & 2021 WEC. This bit is more specific, saying it's definite, talking about Andretti, etc. I've been thinking for a while now that he's gonna go with Andretti & hasn't been able to talk about it because of his McLaren contract, which is either over now will be at year's end. Andretti loves him & has said recently he's trying to get Alonso back for at least the 500.

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Would be glad to have him back for the 500.  I'd really love to see him do an entire season of Indycar but that doesn't seem to be something he's really interested in.

Yeah I don't think he wants to move to the U.S. for basically a year, which is about what it would take. Would definitely be cool though.

6 hours ago, Hawndoh said:

I can't imagine Honda will let him drive one of Andretti's cars. 

If he really wants to win Indy he needs to find a way into a Penske car. 

Andretti says Honda is good with Alonso & it's McLaren they want nothing to do with.