2019 Boston Red Sox Thread

dbecks

31 minutes ago, dbecks said:

No TJ for Sale, but he’s likely done for the year (getting some sort of plasma injections).

Oh well, they weren’t winning shit anyways this year. Bounce back in 2020.

Oh ye of little faith.  They are going to use the Sale injury as a rallying cry to reel off a 28-8 run to take the wildcard.  Then go undefeated in the playoffs.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Kudos to Brandon Workman.  Notched the final save of the season tonight, giving him 13 saves since July 15th, roughly the all-star break (even after which, he still sometimes shared the closer role) .  not bad for a guy who had been put into lesser roles for his thusfar MLB career.  Great job by a great Longhorn.  Now, if he could only fix the BoSox shitshow of a payroll abortion. . 

Edited by Lobo

• 4 weeks later...

It will be a very critical offseason for us this year.  The Mookie and JD decisions are looming large.  How do we address the pitching, both starters and relievers?  Unfortunately it seems like our best hope is just that everyone comes back healthy and have bounceback years.  That sounds like a recipe for disaster to me though.

Yep, pretty much.  They won't be able to get a king's ransom for him, but if they can get 2-3 young, team-controlled players or high-level prospects (especially pitchers), they'll sadly have to pull the trigger.

Mookie won't get Trout money, but he'll likely get at least $300-350M a year from now.  Can't necessarily ask for a bounty right now if a player is all but guaranteed to test the market after a season.

Fucking sucks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just asked my daughter who the next manager should be. She is 17 and not a huge baseball follower. She said she had no idea. I said what about Tek.

her- "Is he still a thing," 

Me- "Yes, they don't take retired players out and shoot them" 

Her- "well they did that to Papi.." 

I laughed and took a sip of beer.... So I guess she does follow her Dominican smart ass roots. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sounds like it’s over. 

Dustin Pedroia's lengthy comeback attempt endured another roadblock, as the Boston Red Sox second baseman suffered a significant setback with his left knee, sources told ESPN on Tuesday.

Pedroia has played just nine games over the past two seasons, collecting three hits in 34 plate appearances while trying to return from a knee injury suffered in 2017 on a slide into second base by Baltimore's Manny Machado. Pedroia last played a game on April 17, 2019.

Pedroia, 36, is now discussing his options with his family, the Red Sox and his representation, sources said.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28530624/sources-boston-dustin-pedroia-serious-setback-recovery

I was told that the Red Sox should get cleared of any wrong doing in the sign stealing scandal.  Supposedly they never did anything even close to what the Astros did.  Now the guys telling me that are on the team and may just being really biased and in denial but I have no reason to not trust them.  We shall see though.