Frozen 2: Electric Boogaloo

mdmost

I remember vividly watching the first one with my daughter.  She was 3.  I remember how much magic this move brought to the kid.  How entranced and enthralled she was with every single aspect of this movie.  That it did that much for my daughter made the movie magic to me.  It even culminated 2 years later when we took her to Disneyworld for Christmas, and they did a light show at night where Elsa "froze" the Disney Castle and turned it entirely blue and white (lights draped all over the castle exterior).  Her jaw dropped so hard I'm convinced it would have taken C4 to remove it from the ground.

She's 8 now.  Between the age difference and the things the kid has gone through in the last 4 years, this sequel probably won't bring the same level of enchantment to her.

But I'm still in.  So in.

Edited by Buffsoldier
  • Like 4

I don't have children. Occasionally I'll check out one of the highly recommended animated features. They're always a disappointment to me. Frozen was maybe the biggest failure of them all. I can't remember a thing about beyond the ability of one girl to freeze things.

It's interesting to me how taste changes. Body builders used to look grotesque to most people but not now.  I guess we can thank The Hulk and Ahnult for taking that look mainstream.

Now it's adults becoming connoisseurs of animated features directed mostly at children. Parents take their children to the movies and then replay them countless times at home. How could they not develop an appreciation for films that are the best of the genre?

For me, not forced to watch on a regular basis, this stuff is all unwatchable. I'm glad that I haven't had my eyes and ears pulverized over the years by cute animal pratfalls, sassy young women, and shy but decent young suitors. Such a bore.

I admire what parents will do for their children. I don't think I have nearly the patience required.

The number of hit songs are what made the first one so successful IMO. The story and animation and everything were good too, but the music gave it staying power. Frozen 2 will clearly be successful simply based on being the sequel but to equal or surpass the original they'll have to have memorable songs.

The song writers Bobby Lopez (EGOT winner who also co-created The Book of Mormon) and his wife are Broadway vets, and given the longer than usual time between the original and the sequel, I would hope that they have some good stuff written for this.  

Edited by LonghornSean

5 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

The number of hit songs are what made the first one so successful IMO. The story and animation and everything were good too, but the music gave it staying power. Frozen 2 will clearly be successful simply based on being the sequel but to equal or surpass the original they'll have to have memorable songs.

The song writers Bobby Lopez (EGOT winner who also co-created The Book of Mormon) and his wife are Broadway vets, and given the longer than usual time between the original and the sequel, I would hope that they have some good stuff written for this.  

They also did Avenue Q and Coco.  The songs should be strong.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

For me, not forced to watch on a regular basis, this stuff is all unwatchable.

I hear you, and a lot of it can be pretty terrible. Frozen sucked ass. But like Buffsoldier said above - you have a kid and you watch how excited they get and how magical this stuff is for them. The patience thing goes out the window when from in my kitchen I can hear my shy, reserved daughter singing "Let it Go" from the playroom upstairs when she thinks nobody is listening. It makes her happy and that makes me happy.

And for every Frozen there is a Jungle Book, for every Trolls there is a Muppet Movie, for every My Little Pony there is a Dumbo, etc...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

I don't have children. Occasionally I'll check out one of the highly recommended animated features. They're always a disappointment to me. Frozen was maybe the biggest failure of them all. I can't remember a thing about beyond the ability of one girl to freeze things.

It's interesting to me how taste changes. Body builders used to look grotesque to most people but not now.  I guess we can thank The Hulk and Ahnult for taking that look mainstream.

Now it's adults becoming connoisseurs of animated features directed mostly at children. Parents take their children to the movies and then replay them countless times at home. How could they not develop an appreciation for films that are the best of the genre?

For me, not forced to watch on a regular basis, this stuff is all unwatchable. I'm glad that I haven't had my eyes and ears pulverized over the years by cute animal pratfalls, sassy young women, and shy but decent young suitors. Such a bore.

I admire what parents will do for their children. I don't think I have nearly the patience required.

Frozen as a film sucks.  It was just right place right time and became a phenomenon.  Within the genre there a much better films.

16 hours ago, Drew said:

Nah it didn't suck at all.  I actually like that they twisted the "love story" on it's head a bit in it.

This is a good trailer.  Doesn't give shit away.  Interested to see where they go.

It sucks.  There are no explanation for her powers, the trolls, olaf, or any of it.  Just because it didn't follow the handsome prince true love cliché doesn't make it a good movie.

18 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

It sucks.  There are no explanation for her powers, the trolls, olaf, or any of it.  Just because it didn't follow the handsome prince true love cliché doesn't make it a good movie.

Um, they definitely explained Olaf, but okay.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2019 at 8:41 AM, Js1 said:

I'm very intrigued by Cassian Andor leading a plot to overthrow Elsa of Arendelle. 

Sounds awesome.  Star Wars musical! 

I'm the only white father that has not seen frozen ... they need to add Daenerys and Viserion and spice it up a bit.

4 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

It's a kids movie. Why do they need to explain anything? Kids will pretty much accept what's shown on screen. And as a father of 2 girls, it's a great message. 

• Like 1

Just now, mdmost said:

It's a kids movie. Why do they need to explain anything? Kids will pretty much accept what's shown on screen. And as a father of 2 girls, it's a great message. 

Obviously they don't.  The context of my post was in reply to a poster who didn't like the movie.  My point was from an adults eyes there are good and bad children's movies.  This is a bad one.  If Disney wants me to claim it as a good movie they shouldn't slap together a stupid storyline.  If they want to continue rolling in money the status quo is probably fine.

1 hour ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Of course Mdmost, the weird Disney dad who likes these things more than his kids, is in (and thinks the new Aladdin doesn’t look horrible). 

I was run through the ringer like most dads with little girls when this came out (even had a Frozen in July birthday swim party believe it or not) but luckily the kids are going to be too old to care too much about binge watching and wanting the merch and all that crap again. I’ll leave the beating that will be Frozen 2 to the new crop of dads

Your obsession with me, let it go. 

6 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Well, that's like...your opinion man.  I Disagree. 

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

What? 13 year old girls wielding machetes?

At a screening of Frozen?

Birmingham Star City: 13-year-old girl among arrests after ‘machete’ brawl during Frozen 2 viewing

A 13-year-old girl is among five teenagers arrested over a mass brawl involving youths armed with machetes at a Birmingham cinema.

Families were watching Frozen 2 at Star City when the disorder broke out late on Saturday afternoon, sparking a mass evacuation of the complex.

Police said up to 100 teenagers were involved in the “major disorder”, where people were armed with machetes.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/birmingham-star-city-attack-machete-arrest-cinema-police-evacuation-a9215511.html

Saw it with the family. My two daughters loved it. I thought it was pretty good.

Olaf's recap of the first movie was fantastic. Giving Kristoff his own full song and then making it a 1980s Journey power ballad style music video was weird but it kind of worked. 

You never really got a chance to care about the people who were trapped in the forest due to time constraints. Same with the mother. 

But each sequence of them overcoming the four element spirits or whatever I thought were well done. 

• 4 weeks later...