Still a little sad (shaggy)

It's sad for nostalgic reasons, but also pretty cool to see what's happened here. 

When the site name had to change the first time, I wondered if anything would change with the feel of the board, but the shag just rolled along. 

This was undeniably a bigger change, and I thought for sure it would take a few weeks to feel back to normal.  48 hrs later it felt like the same place, more or less.  It's the assholes, not the name or platform.

Granted, shaggy is arguably filled with more assholes now than before, just a more literal type.  Hope you enjoy poop gifs, Kevin, because that's what you bought. 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

It's sad for nostalgic reasons, but also pretty cool to see what's happened here. 

When the site name had to change the first time, I wondered if anything would change with the feel of the board, but the shag just rolled along. 

This was undeniably a bigger change, and I thought for sure it would take a few weeks to feel back to normal.  48 hrs later it felt like the same place, more or less.  It's the assholes, not the name or platform.

Granted, shaggy is arguably filled with more assholes now than before, just a more literal type.  Hope you enjoy poop gifs, Kevin, because that's what you bought. 

Este! You can take the man out of the Shag but you can't take the Shag out of the man.

It's the loveable assholes that make a home.

6 hours ago, MexHorn said:

Shaggy is not a place, it's a people

fify. And I may be beating a dead horse with that line but it's true. The transition was about as seamless as one could've hoped for. 

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, bongos55 said:

All the recipes and classics. For now they are there....but he might shut it all down. 10 years of  mspaints and gifs and chops. It was a fun play pen. Now it is a poop covered ghost town. I'm afraid to go back. Somebody tell me when he shuts it down.

Many will live on here (at least through late 2017)  

https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/

not everything, but a lot will.  Unfortunate archive.org wasn’t crawling Shaggy very aggressively. But you can manually plug your favorite threads/pages into web.archive.org (that weren’t already archived) and have it archive them. 

It's Easter.  I prefer to think of it as I threw off the mortal coil (Shag) and have been resurrected and dressed in a resplendent, eternal (well for 10 years proally anyway) new heavenly body encapsulating this soul.  And it only took about 3 days for most of it to happen.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

It's Easter.  I prefer to think of it as I threw off the mortal coil (Shag) and have been resurrected and dressed in a resplendent, eternal (well for 10 years proally anyway) new heavenly body encapsulating this soul.  And it only took about 3 days for most of it to happen.

hqdefault.jpg

Man, that cult might have put off people, but at least they had an ethos.  Plus I would have joined just for the Nikes.  They knew how to go in style.

They were all wearing the Nike Cortez model. The same ones Purple Wizard has custom made. Coincidence? You tell me...

11 hours ago, workswithseed said:

Just wished surly rolled off the tongue like the shag did.

I know what you mean.  "The surl"  just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Blacklab says he doesn't own this board, somebody else does. Here's my question: is this the final resting place?  In other words, what will happen when we inevitably screw up and piss the new board owner off to the point that he shuts it down, takes back the name etc...?   Because I don't want to waste all of my best material and impart all of my pearls of wisdom on a board that's just going to go away after 10 or so years. I've got posterity to think about!

32 minutes ago, Mac8111 said:

Truth.

Where the fuck did Surly come from ?

Word Origin and History for surly 
adj.

1560s, "lordly, majestic," alteration of Middle English sirly "lordly,imperious" (14c.), from sir. The meaning "rude, gruff" is first attested1660s. For sense development, cf. lordly, and German herrisch"domineering, imperious," from Herr "master, lord."

Shaggy was awesome, but like any great message board, its about the posters, not the name or format of the site.  And of course a big hats off to Black Lab for making it happen.

I've checked on the old site just to see if there are any new posts.  At first I thought it's shitty and insulting to BL for people to continue to use the old board, but I suspect a lot of the posts are calling the new management "cunts" and Vic burning the old place to the foundation and salting the earth with his pictures of fat chicks' vags.

10 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I like the comparison to the Dunkirk evacuation, because this is clearly on that level of magnitude.  

Shit went down, we were able to hop a life boat and GTFO and reform and regroup. 

And that would make Morgan Adolf Hitler.    Bwahahahahahahahaha.

• Haha 1

I’m expecting the board experience to improve not that I am happy it had to happen this way though.  We allow users to reboot and hopefully lose some of the baggage with rep whoring etc. 

Wait. What was your shaggy name? I’m assuming you are formerly washparkhorn on hf.

I don’t keep up with shit.

33 minutes ago, Jimbaround said:

I was looking at the thread names and thinking how amazing it is that we all transitioned so quickly.

It really is crazy to think that in the span of 3-4 days, a large community who had no warning, had to up and migrate to a completely new forum.  It's practically unheard of such a large community to completely stick together like that.  Then again, most of us were at Shaggy because we wanted nothing to do with the other Longhorn fansites, so we were going to stick together.

Still, we went from being told BL was losing Shaggy:

giphy-downsized-large.gif

To finding out who now owns Shaggy:

10670059.gif

to this

giphy.gif

And then to this:

giphy.gif

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 2

Echoing what plenty have already said but it is pretty amazing that we had a mass migration like that and the new site is basically the same as the old.    Sucks a little that we won't be able to go dig up old posts when they become topical but the new format has some distinct advantages that I have noticed already.