The Next Batman

EvilCaseMcCoy

Warner Bros are Team Edward it seems. Ghost of Tom Joad will be pleased.

Robert Pattinson Cast as The Batman for Director Matt Reeves

Pre-production could begin this summer.

319811502-1299831791.jpg?fit=crop&dpr=1&quality=75&width=39&height=39Jim Vejvoda 16 May 2019 7:53 pm
batman-affleck-placeholder-v1jpg-9b3938.jpg?fit=bounds&width=188&height=188batman-affleck-placeholder-v1jpg-9b3938.jpg?fit=bounds&width=188&height=188

The Batman

batman-affleck-placeholder-v1jpg-9b3938.jpg?fit=bounds&width=188&height=188batman-affleck-placeholder-v1jpg-9b3938.jpg?fit=bounds&width=188&height=188

The Batman

Twilight star Robert Pattinson will reportedly star in the title role in The Batman, director Matt Reeves' upcoming DC Comics movie.Variety reports that pre-production begins this summer. Matt Reeves is still polishing the script.

"No official start date has been set for The Batman. Insiders tell Variety filming could start in late 2019 or early 2020," according to the trade.

Pattinson will be the sixth actor to play the modern incarnation of the Dark Knight on the big screen since Michael Keaton starred in 1989's Batman. He succeeds Ben Affleck in the role, who bowed out after playing the Dark Knight in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and Justice League. Rpats_Batman-720x405.jpeg?fit=crop&dpr=1&quality=75&width=96&height=96Robert Pattinson will play the title role in The Batman. Pattinson's next movie will be Christopher Nolan's next film, which also stars John David Washington.

His film credits include not only his star-making turn as vampire Edward Cullen in the Twilight franchise, but in more recent years he has appeared in such indie films The Lost City of Z, High Life, Maps to the Stars, and Queen of the Desert.

The Batman swings into theaters June 25, 2021.

Maybe we are reading this wrong. Perhaps Pattinson will be a vampire again this time as Dracula in the live action version of this

5e2ccaaf8845af52d2aad21e0d92fc30.jpg

• 8 months later...
2 hours ago, smuggs said:

So this super-chinned Batman weighs 160 pounds and wears a techno armor suit with shoulder pads and a popped collar? Christ my jockeys can barely contain my boner right now.

I tend to agree.  But many folks had similar concerns about Keaton, Bale and Aflac.  They all turned out fine.

Not to pick on you, @troph, but it's not about what you need. (This goes to all the other surly-ites who complain about genres of movies, not just comic book type, that they don't like.) 

If people are willing to pay to watch these movies, they are going to continue to be made. We all know Hollywood tends to be formulaic and will churn out what ever makes a buck. 

It's simple, if you don't like these kind of movies, don't pay to watch them. I just don't understand why do you have to go on a thread and make negative comments about these movies that you don't like. If you watch the movie and it was bad, then sure comment about how it stunk.

I personally don't care to watch Rom-Coms or reality type shows like Survivor, but I don't go on any of those movie/show threads to complain about these kinds of movies/shows being made.

Since I don't go on the Music Forum, are the same type of comments made there? Is it a Surly thing to bash a genre just because you don't like it?

/rant off

• Like 5
  • Fuck You 1

What I find fascinating is we are going through a period of cinematic over saturation the same way the film industry did with Western's in the 50's.  It's a money business and hollywood is going to keep pumping these things out until they stop making money. 

Edited by Bateshorn

You are allowed to have different takes on a character. This is supposed to be more along the lines of The Animated Series. Also, Joker was just nominated for Best Picture and had its second actor win an Oscar for his take on the role. Hiring directors for their vision is what separates DC from Marvel and why I’ll give these more of a chance than Phase 4. Matt Reeves is a terrific director. 

Also, the bat symbol is rumored to be based off of this: 

spacer.png

Not to pick on you, [mention=93]troph[/mention], but it's not about what you need. (This goes to all the other surly-ites who complain about genres of movies, not just comic book type, that they don't like.)  If people are willing to pay to watch these movies, they are going to continue to be made. We all know Hollywood tends to be formulaic and will churn out what ever makes a buck. 

It's simple, if you don't like these kind of movies, don't pay to watch them. I just don't understand why do you have to go on a thread and make negative comments about these movies that you don't like. If you watch the movie and it was bad, then sure comment about how it stunk.

I personally don't care to watch Rom-Coms or reality type shows like Survivor, but I don't go on any of those movie/show threads to complain about these kinds of movies/shows being made.

Since I don't go on the Music Forum, are the same type of comments made there? Is it a Surly thing to bash a genre just because you don't like it?

/rant off

You’re totally right. I’m still pissed Eddie Murphy lost to joker and this thread popped up on my feed and I thought how can there really be another Batman movie? Carryon I won’t drive by shitbomb again.

16 hours ago, troph said:

You’re totally right. I’m still pissed Eddie Murphy lost to joker and this thread popped up on my feed and I thought how can there really be another Batman movie? Carryon I won’t drive by shitbomb again.

I mean Joaquin deserved it just as much...we're really splitting hairs there.

• 5 months later...

Trailer looks promising. The only film of Reeves' I've seen is Let Me In which was damn good (I haven't seen any of the planet of the apes reboots). 

I love Jeffrey Wright as Gordon. And Paul Dano should be awesome. Not sure about the need of Farrell as the Penguin unless it's just to set the table for the next movie.

Anyone else get this vibe from RP?

image.thumb.png.9663ab870ec8f279f421ded5806da095.png

image.png.b6b13858aef1b174bbd30ce7cd929fa6.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

Only concern is that fruit depicting the main character.

I mean... OK.  I'm old enough to remember people complaining about Heath Ledger being cast as the Joker because he was either the "gay cowboy" or "teen idol" or whatever.

Pattenson is a good actor. He'll be fine.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

Did a little digging on IMDB and apparently Reeves' vision for this is a detective noir take. Chinatown and Taxi Driver (at least the score) are cited as inspirations.

I'm pretty much done with the super hero genre & don't feel any great need to watch a new Batman movie, but if Reeves does make this a true detective thriller I might change my mind.

On 8/22/2020 at 8:46 PM, mdmost said:

Sure, why not.

In. Reminds me of Batman Beyond. Looks dark and jagged around the edges. Kind of a dystopian/bladerunner vibe. 

Good cast so it can't be that bad right? I mean we don't have fucking Zuckerberg playing Lex Luthor. Only thing that concerns me is what appears to be an early catwoman appearance. Hathaway was the worst fucking part of TDKR and kept that from being another great film imo.

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

In. Reminds me of Batman Beyond. Looks dark and jagged around the edges. Kind of a dystopian/bladerunner vibe. 

Good cast so it can't be that bad right? I mean we don't have fucking Zuckerberg playing Lex Luthor. Only thing that concerns me is what appears to be an early catwoman appearance. Hathaway was the worst fucking part of TDKR and kept that from being another great film imo.

Reminds me a lot more of Batman TAS (direct callback with the “I’m vengeance” line) & “The Batman”, a very underrated animated show on the WB in the mid-2000s. Also has big time The Crow vibes. I’m in, Batman has always been my favorite comic book character.

• Like 1