The Next Batman

EvilCaseMcCoy

I just saw it and thoroughly enjoyed it. I especially like Robert Pattinson as Batman, even better than Christian Bale. The movie was slow at times, especially toward the end which seemed to drag on forever. Even the wife kept saying "are we getting closer to wrapping it up?" I have to say I loved Zoe as Catwoman, damn she's so good looking, a perfect 10. I just looked forward to every moment she was on screen. I hope she's in all the rest of them.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Scraps said:

Nothing says badass like 'Robert Pattison'

Jesus christ he just looks like a.massive pussy. Maybe they can get the King of All Pussies Michael Cera to be the next one.

I didn't hate the movie, but at least give me a Wayne/Batman who can be believable as a badass

Which previous actors who played Batman other than maybe Bale screamed "badass"?  

Michael Keaton?  Adam West?  Val Kilmer?  Pete Holmes?

Edited by Tom
  • Hook 'Em 1

No disagreement there, although I still haven't seen this new one yet so I'm not ranking Pattinson anywhere as Batman yet.  But Bruce Wayne isn't supposed to be some Jack Reacher type either.  I don't really have any expectations on what Bruce Wayne should look like, but I'm more than confident in Robert Pattinson's acting abilities.  He definitely didn't come off as a pussy in Tenet.

I like the fact that Alfred was a former bodyguard type who taught Bruce how to fight after his parents got killed. Makes way more sense than "Bruce went off to some Asian prison to train and old man Alfred hung around by himself engineering multi billion dollar equipment on the off chance Bruce would return someday"

• Haha 1

The most forced, contrived scene by Reeves was Pattinson as Wayne with his emo bangs dragging across his face in the most in your fucking face imagery of "hey, his hair across his brow represents the bat cape."
It's the kind of scene that if done with a brief pan shot would work, but Reeves hung on it again and again and again. Just stunningly bad for a director of his ability.

I thought the movie was good overall but the hair was distracting. That and the mask on Kyle were my minor gripes.

Overall highly enjoyable. Probably my favorite Batman movie behind TDK.

Possibly unpopular opinion: Affleck was the best overall Bruce Wayne and on par with anyone else as Batman, the movies he was part of just weren't on the same level. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Saw it the other day and enjoyed it much more than I thought I would.  The 3 hours definitely worried me, but I didn't mind it in this case.

Mildly spoilery, but I did notice the liquid that Batman injected into his leg looked (and acted) a lot like the Venom drug.  I read a bunch of comics as a kid and that series always stuck with me (that shit was serious), so I definitely perked up when I saw it.  Looking around on the internet, I wasn't the only one who noticed it.  Who knows if they do anything with it, but put a pin in that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I thought it was just an OK movie.  The first hour was good but I felt the rest of the movie didn't live up to the hype that everyone was pumping.  Lots of scenes that could've been taken out IMHO.  Not a fan of this version of Bruce Wayne.  I also felt that the Riddler's motive at the end really was out of character.  His plan was to take out the corrupt and elite of Gotham but then goes full on Joker by trying to kill innocent people.  🤷‍♂️

• Hook 'Em 2

Just saw it. Was disappointed after seeing many strong reviews.
The last ~20min could have been cut after the big scene. It was just teasing for sequels, which no one needed for Batman. We already know they will milk this franchise for sequels forever.
I found the car chase incredibly meh, easy to tell from the chassis movements how slow the cars were going when filmed. It was just boring, and the engine sound was completely mismatched to how slow the Batmobile was.
Catwoman was well acted, very similar feel to Halle Berry. Pattinson felt like Emo Batman. Fine, we'll have plenty of multiverse Batmen with different styles. The others were solid.
Mentioned above, Batman armor tanking everything got ridiculous. Centerfire hunting rifle point blank? Ok. Double barrel shotgun point blank? Ok. Face and head never getting hit? Ok.
Fight scene somewhat channeled Star Wars Vader lightsaber wrecking his way down the hall.
Overall, I give it 2 shark jumps. Have no desire to watch it again.

Very racist

I agree with your take.

I always like the darker, grittier versions of these types of movies but it was like they were trying too hard with this one. I liked it ok but didn’t like the Wayne portrayal.

I thought it was just an OK movie.  The first hour was good but I felt the rest of the movie didn't live up to the hype that everyone was pumping.  Lots of scenes that could've been taken out IMHO.  Not a fan of this version of Bruce Wayne.  I also felt that the Riddler's motive at the end really was out of character.  His plan was to take out the corrupt and elite of Gotham but then goes full on Joker by trying to kill innocent people. 

He doesn’t see them as innocent. He sees them as all complicit in the fuckery. Heck, he tries to twist the anger he felt toward Bruce’s father onto his son partly because he was a high profile orphan with a trust.

I really also enjoyed how they didn’t have Catwoman hold her own or beat Batman. He kind of reacts to her fighting him at first and then just dominates her which is what one would expect.

I feel if they cut more material out it would end up disjointed as Justice League.

The good:

1) I loved the tone.  It went darker than Nolan had the courage to.  Reminiscent of Se7en for sure, but wasn't derivative.  This movie stood on its own.

2) No holes in the casting.  Skarsgaard was very good, and you wish you had more of him.  Ms. Kravitz was the right person to depict the Selena Kyle they wanted for this movie.

3) Not much competition, but this is the best Catwoman put in a movie.

3) Similar to #2, Pattinson was the right guy for this Bruce Wayne. 

4) Great chemistry between Pattinson and Kravitz. (I think they were boinking eachother off set?)

5) That car chase.

The bad:

1) The Riddler was very good...until we met him.

2) This movie ended 3 times.  Once when Falconi was shot, once when Batman fought all those guys in Madis...Gotham Square Garden, and once more when he saved all those people.

3) Not fan of how they deconstructed Thomas Wayne.

I think they had too much time for editing due to this being delayed like 2 years.  It's one thing to have enough time to get a lean, but not too lean, cut. But, if you keep extending that window, you probably start to tinker around too much and fall too in love with every frame.  You then keep stuff that would've been cut if you were pressed by a looming deadline.

23 hours ago, kevwun said:

It tried a little too hard.  Moody, raspy voiced Batman is a caricature at this point.

I guess I am the odd man out in that I think it is fine for him to try to sound completely differently than Bruce Wayne.   

On 4/21/2022 at 10:20 AM, BHMCruiser said:

Unpopular opinion time: the best of all the Batman fight sequences is Batman's rescue of Martha Kent in Batman v. Superman. 

Not unpopular with me. I'm a fan of large, stubby-eared Dark Knight Returns-style Batman going WWE on scumbags. I only wish the entire film had been good.

• Hook 'Em 1

Pleasantly surprised that I really enjoyed the film.

I'd forgotten that Dano was cast as the Riddler, so during the scenes of his videos, he sounded a lot like Clive Owen to me.  I was shocked when it turned out to be Dano.

I thought it landed somewhere in the middle between comic booky and the Nolan films, though much closer to Nolan than Burton.

The plot itself didn't impress me much.  I just enjoyed the atmosphere, Pattinson's performance and how Somewhere in the Way really set the mood.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2022 at 11:20 PM, wutang75 said:

Really enjoyed it but missed opportunity making it PG-13.

Also, if Paul Dano moved to my neighborhood I would move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah Paul Dano shouldn’t be allowed around children. Just gives that vibe 

Finally watched this last night I liked it but yeah they should’ve kept that joker scene in and the end was pretty over the top which I get. It’s a comic book movie, but like someone said above, no one noticed a couple dozen dudes with riddler masks on? Those vans just sat there? No overdue parking tickets resulting in a tow or any of that? Eh whatever. Didn’t like it as much as the Nolan ones, but I enjoyed it

On 4/21/2022 at 10:20 AM, BHMCruiser said:

Unpopular opinion time: the best of all the Batman fight sequences is Batman's rescue of Martha Kent in Batman v. Superman. 

Not sure about the best, but it was a really good one. Affleck was a pretty good Batman, but as usual DC fucks everything up.

• Hook 'Em 1

1) I appreciate the more grounded realism (ya know, except for the magical body armor) and their recognition that gravity is a thing that exists, but what's the point of a Batman that can't fly?

2) This has to be the most that any version of Batman has been surrounded by people. Dude just chilling around a bunch of cops on their coffee breaks. Kind of kills the mystique.

Finally watched it last night. I agree with most of the takes here, I really liked it but it’s a little too long and had trouble wrapping up. I had no issues with Bruce Wayne, it was a different take. This was the first Batman movie where Bats had no interest in Bruce Wayne. No high society fundraisers for this Batman. I liked all the moodiness and silence. RP is a good actor and can be Bats as long as he wants as far as I’m concerned. Farrell was unrecognizable.

I loved the music and the sound in general. The two-note theme that was based on the Nirvana song really worked for me.

The ratty muscle car Batmobile made me giddy. Totally preposterous but awesome.

The only thing that really bugged me was how they didn’t realize that “rat with wings” was a bat. A stool pigeon, really?