The Next Batman

EvilCaseMcCoy

Getting a sequel

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/the-batman-sequel-robert-pattinson-1235241667/

Warner Bros. revealed its plans for another Caped Crusader story during its Tuesday evening presentation at CinemaCon, the annual trade show for theater owners. “The Batman” director Matt Reeves was on hand to announce the news that he will write and direct the follow-up, but he did not provide any details about what the movie will entail.

30 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Started out "pretty damn good, glad I decided to watch it after all" ended up "what a fucking load of shit, why did waste two hours of my life?".

Well there's your problem.  You missed an hour of the movie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, rantanamo said:

Interesting to watch this morph from pretty good to great as more people watch it and second views are at home where reviewers are able to comb over fine details and time is less of a hurdle at home.

Uh, peaked at 96 RT when it released, now 85 RT. Trend has only been downward.

13 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I liked this version where, and Selena even says it to make sure we get it, the real person is batman and the alter ego is Bruce. He is only Bruce when he has to be or it helps batman. 

Not exactly breaking new ground. Batman Begins penultimate scene is Rachel Dawes telling Bruce she cant be with him once she learned about his mask and when he protests thinking she is talking about Batman she tells him that Bruce Wayne is his mask. 

Also some have talked about liking seeing Batman in a more detective mode and maybe that is something they are trying to do here. It didn’t work for me. Why?  Because Batman is well explored. I know who the fucking villains are, their MOs etc. I’m not along for the ride like in a good detective story where you meet a bunch of different possibilities in the whodunit but still often are not sure who it is. No Batman is detecting and I’m sitting there “It’s the fucking Riddler”. No real mystery for me. 

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

No real mystery for me. 

The detective batman is the best batman, but I completely agree with you.  If there's no mystery it doesn't really work.

I also thought they were really bad at the detective part.  It was either super easy, like batman finishing a riddle 2 secs after it being read or really terrible, like the stool pigeon. 

When this movie started on Oct 31, I thought they were gonna follow The Long Halloween, which is great and has an uncommon villain and plenty of red herrings. Oh well.  Overall I enjoyed, but I'll watch anything batman. 

16 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I liked this version where, and Selena even says it to make sure we get it, the real person is batman and the alter ego is Bruce. He is only Bruce when he has to be or it helps batman. 

There's only one Selena and she wasn't in this movie 

• Hook 'Em 3

I finished this last night and the only critical commentary I’ve read on the movie has come from reading these 10 pages. It’s interesting to read the pages pre-release, at release, and then once consensus started to take shape.

I personally thought the Riddler character was an awesome interpretation. The character actually shined post-getting caught when his insanity was unhinged. I appreciated the modern application of the Riddler a la Zodiac killer, along with the costume and even the antisocial online community. I liked there was an attempt to show a connection between the comics and comic-book trope-y things, like how the marque bad guys have henchmen and followers. What I didn’t like about the Riddler was how far-fetched the plot got. A lot of it said, the 7 vans, and the online community on the deep web and how it was secret and not leaked, and the whole “plan on getting caught to finish the grand finale” bad guy move. I also thought it was a strange writing move to head fake the audience like Riddler knew Batman’s identity, and having Batman deal with that anxiety, but it really just being pointed musings. It felt like the Riddler character would have been more put together than that. Also how he assumed Batman was on his side and cooperating felt like lazy writing for the character.

I thought the Westworld guy was a great casting choice; his voice and mannerisms were Batman-lite and I liked his involvement.

What I didn’t like was a lot of what was mentioned, taking bullets casually, etc. but even more what struck me was for such a long movie there wasn’t a lot of running exposition to give clarity on how Batman got to this point. How did the suit tech happen? How did he learn to fight as well as he did (Alfred mentioned teaching him, I guess?)? I think the other Batman movies do a good job of building up the operational and organizational design of Batman (including seeing his bat lair versus an old gothic mansion with an old maid).

As far as the emo and brooding, I didn’t think it all bad. I thought the journaling thing was going to be a whip but it wasn’t too heavy-handed and it gave insight into his journey. He’s a younger batman still processing and growing emotionally and part of that is necessarily emotional and messy. Most Batman’s we see on the screen have already more or less sort of figured the deeper emotional pain out versus showing the early catharsis of personifying vengeance. Maybe not Bale’s in the first two.

I think we saw an immature Batman on purpose, as far as the utility for a trilogy, and that’s spelled out with his soliloquy in the end about being more than vengeance, which hit home when the nut job said that is who he was as well. The guy held a mirror to him and showed him they were more alike than not and that jarred him to grow, which I think we will all benefit from in Batman 2 with a more three dimensional Batman.

• Hook 'Em 1

Finally saw it last night. Subtitles really helped. 

I was expecting it to be shit, especially since it's a DC movies, but I really liked it. It was long but it didn't drag on. I thought the 3rd act was necessary for Bats to learn that piss and vinegar is not sustainable if he actually wants to help Gotham. Really liked RP. He's come a long way since Twilight. Looking forward to future movies. If studio execs can stay the fuck out of the way, the new Batman movies will be enjoyable.

It was ok. Except for the fact that Batman is the only one with any idea how to read a crime scene or the fucking Batman boots, or the URL clue, or the bird clue, or the fact the bad guy was caught before the end of the movie. I lost it when Batman and Catwoman had a motorcycle ride together montage. 

Christian Bale Batman's are the best.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 4/30/2022 at 7:47 PM, Vegas64 said:

I finished this last night and the only critical commentary I’ve read on the movie has come from reading these 10 pages. It’s interesting to read the pages pre-release, at release, and then once consensus started to take shape.

I personally thought the Riddler character was an awesome interpretation. The character actually shined post-getting caught when his insanity was unhinged. I appreciated the modern application of the Riddler a la Zodiac killer, along with the costume and even the antisocial online community. I liked there was an attempt to show a connection between the comics and comic-book trope-y things, like how the marque bad guys have henchmen and followers. What I didn’t like about the Riddler was how far-fetched the plot got. A lot of it said, the 7 vans, and the online community on the deep web and how it was secret and not leaked, and the whole “plan on getting caught to finish the grand finale” bad guy move. I also thought it was a strange writing move to head fake the audience like Riddler knew Batman’s identity, and having Batman deal with that anxiety, but it really just being pointed musings. It felt like the Riddler character would have been more put together than that. Also how he assumed Batman was on his side and cooperating felt like lazy writing for the character.

I thought the Westworld guy was a great casting choice; his voice and mannerisms were Batman-lite and I liked his involvement.

What I didn’t like was a lot of what was mentioned, taking bullets casually, etc. but even more what struck me was for such a long movie there wasn’t a lot of running exposition to give clarity on how Batman got to this point. How did the suit tech happen? How did he learn to fight as well as he did (Alfred mentioned teaching him, I guess?)? I think the other Batman movies do a good job of building up the operational and organizational design of Batman (including seeing his bat lair versus an old gothic mansion with an old maid).

As far as the emo and brooding, I didn’t think it all bad. I thought the journaling thing was going to be a whip but it wasn’t too heavy-handed and it gave insight into his journey. He’s a younger batman still processing and growing emotionally and part of that is necessarily emotional and messy. Most Batman’s we see on the screen have already more or less sort of figured the deeper emotional pain out versus showing the early catharsis of personifying vengeance. Maybe not Bale’s in the first two.

I think we saw an immature Batman on purpose, as far as the utility for a trilogy, and that’s spelled out with his soliloquy in the end about being more than vengeance, which hit home when the nut job said that is who he was as well. The guy held a mirror to him and showed him they were more alike than not and that jarred him to grow, which I think we will all benefit from in Batman 2 with a more three dimensional Batman.

What Westworld guy are you talking about?

I am finding it very hard to get into this movie. I had to turn it off after about 30m. Looks like an art movie so far. The director is too fancy so my superhero movie needs. 

Edited by remoh
Hard

3 hours ago, remoh said:

I am finding it very hard to get into this movie. I had to turn it off after about 30m. Looks like an art movie so far. The director is too fancy so my superhero movie needs. 

I felt the opposite for the first 30 minutes. When the first scene was the trope of the exhausted politico who has to undue his red tie and pour three fingers of scotch neat and let out a long sigh to let you know he's just exhausted from the intense campaign while watching pundits talk about the latest speech or debate, I involuntarily eye-rolled and thought we were going to get all the trope-y hits.

Edited by Vegas64

• 1 year later...

I didn't know where to put this, but I just rewatched The Dark Knight Trilogy recently. After watching The Dark Knight Rises again, 10 years later, I think it's not as bad as it was panned originally. I liked it and thought the villainy twist was well done and didn't mind Bane's voice that was memed back then.

26 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Anne Hathaway being hot was the only thing remotely good about that movie. 

“Hey lets march our entire police force into this tunnel all at once.”

I thought it was interesting (and realistic) that people had deduced and knew Batman was Bruce Wayne. That stuck out more in the rewatch 10 years later.

On 10/11/2023 at 3:54 PM, BeardIP said:

I didn't know where to put this, but I just rewatched The Dark Knight Trilogy recently. After watching The Dark Knight Rises again, 10 years later, I think it's not as bad as it was panned originally. I liked it and thought the villainy twist was well done and didn't mind Bane's voice that was memed back then.

On 10/11/2023 at 4:02 PM, Helobious said:

Anne Hathaway being hot was the only thing remotely good about that movie. 

“Hey lets march our entire police force into this tunnel all at once.”

The only thing bad are y’all’s takes that it was a bad movie. Guess that’s to be expected from helobious. 

• Hook 'Em 1

My wife and I attended opening night of The Dark Knight Rises on IMAX. So basically us and several hundred hardcore fans. 

My wife fell asleep about 30 minutes in and was audibly snoring. The lady in a Catwoman costume next to us gave me a memorable death stare. 

Tom Hardy and Anne Hathaway are both good in it. The opening Bane scene on the plane is bad ass. It felt like Christian Bale is in a different movie. Just really disjointed and didn’t work. Probably Nolan’s worst movie. It’s a shame he couldn’t stick the landing. 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

Everyone loved the final Batman (Bane) when it came out but it's embarrassing now.  I've seen it twice since the theater and it's absolutely awful.

Again, I just rewatched it (it’s leaving Netflix Oct 31), and I thought it was better than I did at the time.

On 10/11/2023 at 2:29 PM, BeardIP said:

I thought it was interesting (and realistic) that people had deduced and knew Batman was Bruce Wayne. That stuck out more in the rewatch 10 years later.

You mean the cop who deduced that he was Batman because he saw Bruce when he was a child, and he looked super duper sad like only a crime-fighting orphan can?

Um...everyone on this website thinks the movie was hot garbage.
Bold claim from someone who joined this site 3 months ago.

Banes voice was a but annoying, sure not as good as the first two but damn both of those were epic. Can't imagine having to play the next villain after Ledger

6 hours ago, Smax said:

Bold claim from someone who joined this site 3 months ago.

Banes voice was a but annoying, sure not as good as the first two but damn both of those were epic. Can't imagine having to play the next villain after Ledger

I did a search of this website and literally one of the results was “this movie was hot garbage” which is why I even used that lexicon. Seemed like everyone agreed, I think it was on the Oppenheimer thread but I didn’t want to dig in too much yet as I’ve still not seen Oppenheimer.