Casey Thompson

Tex Long

Here’s the good news.  If Arky keeps looking impressive like this then our loss looks “better”.  Focus on winning the Big 12.  If somehow Texas were to do that without losing a conference game then the playoffs are not out of the question.  With that said, we are not remotely ready to talk about that kind of season.  Focus on each game one week at a time.

Let’s stop with the CFP talk until we beat OU and win the Big12 at least. Tech is not good.
  • Hook 'Em 9

2 hours ago, USNALonghorn said:

Really annoying to watch Arky trash aggy and wonder what if we had started Casey against them

Well, the staff still chose to feature the inside run game, the ol’ Barry Odom is waiting for you to make that mistake strategy, the OL still was out their fisting itself for 3 quarters on national tv and wundercoordinator dc still planned to defend the V/S with honest boxes against a QB who reads defenses at a remedial level. 

So don’t beat yourself up wishing Casey would have made the difference.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Well, the staff still chose to feature the inside run game, the ol’ Barry Odom is waiting for you to make that mistake strategy, the OL still was out their fisting itself for 3 quarters on national tv and wundercoordinator dc still planned to defend the V/S with honest boxes against a QB who reads defenses at a remedial level. 

I’m not saying it would’ve been a guaranteed win. Casey would have been able to use his legs better to extend plays and make Arky account for an extra runner. Our offense plays with a different intensity when Casey is out there.

Extended drives would’ve kept our defense off the field and would have prevented the demoralized third quarter collapse. It would’ve been a much different game. Probably would’ve been a one score toss up going to the last team with the ball.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, USNALonghorn said:

I’m not saying it would’ve been a guaranteed win. Casey would have been able to use his legs better to extend plays and make Arky account for an extra runner. Our offense plays with a different intensity when Casey is out there.

Extended drives would’ve kept our defense off the field and would have prevented the demoralized third quarter collapse. It would’ve been a much different game. Probably would’ve been a one score toss up going to the last team with the ball.

I understand your reasoning. I’m saying that virtually every other area of our strategy and execution was so sub par that it probably wouldn’t have made a difference. Casey has played well the last two games, but our offense in particular has decided to playable feature  non regarded football. That wasn’t the case against Arky. 

Might we like to see than again at the end of the season? Maybe?  Is that our KSU 98 game where the team gets trounced, picks itself back up and makes a conference title run as the offense gets its shit together? Sure. Need the defense to play non track meet football against an opponent with a pulse first. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 9/23/2021 at 9:36 PM, UTEE97 said:

If an injury happens to Casey, we maybe fucked regardless of if Card is available or not. I don't think he is anywhere close to being ready to lead Texas this year in conference play. 

That's why Sark shouldn't have shut down the offense after one good Card drive. Card needs more pressure reps - a lot more. If Sark will give 'em to him, he can be effective by the last couple of games this season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

I understand your reasoning. I’m saying that virtually every other area of our strategy and execution was so sub par that it probably wouldn’t have made a difference. Casey has played well the last two games, but our offense in particular has decided to playable feature  non regarded football. That wasn’t the case against Arky. 

Might we like to see than again at the end of the season? Maybe?  Is that our KSU 98 game where the team gets trounced, picks itself back up and makes a conference title run as the offense gets its shit together? Sure. Need the defense to play non track meet football against an opponent with a pulse first. 

I think the game was lost somewhere between the five straight 3 and outs and trotting Card out to start the second half. Even after the Dicker fuckup on the punt, our defense was able to slow them down and hold them to 3 on most drives. They crumbled and flat out lost hope in the third. By the time Casey came in, it was too little too late. Card being indecisive and self-sacking was not a pretty sight. 

Either way, it doesn’t matter, since a CFP appearance was not a realistic expectation his year. I’m just glad to see us have a coaching staff that can admit their mistakes.  

I’m liking the fact that we’ve actually kept the hammer down and built big enough leads that young guys actually get a meaningful chance to play. Builds depths, keep the young guys engaged, lessens injury and keeps guys fresh.  Plus there’s just no reason to white knuckle every fucking game.

AGNB indeed.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, USNALonghorn said:

I think the game was lost somewhere between the five straight 3 and outs and trotting Card out to start the second half. Even after the Dicker fuckup on the punt, our defense was able to slow them down and hold them to 3 on most drives. They crumbled and flat out lost hope in the third. By the time Casey came in, it was too little too late. Card being indecisive and self-sacking was not a pretty sight. 

Either way, it doesn’t matter, since a CFP appearance was not a realistic expectation his year. I’m just glad to see us have a coaching staff that can admit their mistakes.  

I’m just happy to have a coach that’s not a total dipshit blowing bubbles on the sidelines and playing some kind of 4D chess that any rational thinker would think it idiotic.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

10 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Casey has played well the last two games, but our offense in particular has decided to playable feature  non regarded football. That wasn’t the case against Arky. 

I extremely disagree with this statement. Saying Casey would have made no difference against Arky because the offense was playing bad ignores the the fact that Casey provides a more dynamic offense when he is starting at QB than Card. He is more mobile, gutsier, doesn’t get rattled and is just more advanced. More importantly, the players play better when he is playing. They trust him more, they know him better, they can probably relate to him better, they look up to his senior leadership, etc. Heck,  I bet they trusted Sark a little bit less when he chose Card. I sure did. 

I keep harping on this but Sark’s decision to start Card cause he looked good in shorts makes even less sense now than it did at the time and really set us back. Thank heavens Casey was mature enough not to opt out, and I wouldn’t have blamed him one bit if he had. 

The fact that Sark pulled Card against Tech and gave a Wright some snaps is very reassuring to me, as I don’t have to worry that he is an idiot like Herman who is so set in his ways that he has to prove that he is right, even to the detriment of the team. 

Edited by TreatyOak

The fact that our 3rd string QB is able to get reps because we're buttfucking conference opponents into oblivion and thus isn't some unknown black hole of talent feels almost like cheating after the last couple of decades, who knew you could build multiple QBs at once???

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

I watched the arky game yesterday with some aggies.   Arkansas is just fucking good. They were on the way to rolling ATM before Jefferson got hurt.  He was carving them up, but when Hornsby had to come in they had to stop throwing as much.  There's no doubt the offense would have played better with Casey, but I'm not sure we would have been able to beat them.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 3

Casey fucks now, Card will fuck in the future and it’s nice to have a head coach who corrects vs compounds his mistakes.

Remember that Kansas State game where Gilbert kept getting thrown out there interception after interception by Mack?  The game that destroyed any hope of Gilbert being anything but a bust at Texas?

Yeah, I’m glad we have a smarter coach than that for both these quarterback’s sake.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, UTGrad98 said:

To me that looked like he benched Card because he couldn't get the play off. Sark seemed pretty upset and it really should have been a delay of game. Wright came in shortly thereafter 

Yea a delay of game, followed up by a play that should have been a delay was a rager watching it unfold. The ginger came in right after those

Edited by StassneyHorn

19 hours ago, sidis said:

I really wish I could revisit fall practice and attend to see WTF it was that sark fell in love with on Card. Drives me nuts. 

The intra-squad practices can distort things a bit.  QBs wear the red jersey, so they know they are not going to get hit.  The DL knows they cannot hit the QB; there's a chance that they play a little "soft."  With an extra split second and the confidence he is not going to get hit, a QB can be VERY successful.  I think that happened to Card.

When you remove the red jersey and add an opposing front seven with zero interest in the QB's physical well-being, you really get to see who the gamers are.

Also, players learn the tendencies of their own team.  That can often lead to players looking fantastic in practice and struggling in games.  I've seen it other sports (basketball, lacrosse, etc.).  An offensive player will exploit his teammate-defender because he has learned how he will respond to specific footwork, leans, etc.  I wonder if that did not play a part here, too.

• Hook 'Em 3

My wife is native American, she somehow knew that before Caseys first start against Rice the Kiowa tribe came and blessed him.

Shits working yo

That deep ball to the corner of the EZ was insane I thought he was throwing the ball away from my angle.

One ball was a little behind but still was caught. Other than the early drop and the Washington stumble on the go ball he was vibing with the receivers and very accurate.

Casey may be the one to send Lincoln Riley to the cowgurls.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

That's why Sark shouldn't have shut down the offense after one good Card drive. Card needs more pressure reps - a lot more. If Sark will give 'em to him, he can be effective by the last couple of games this season.

seemed to me Card got up a little gimpy after that scramble to the 1.  Looked like a shoulder twinge to me.  Hopefully wrong.

4 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

I extremely disagree with this statement. Saying Casey would have made no difference against Arky because the offense was playing bad ignores the the fact that Casey provides a more dynamic offense when he is starting at QB than Card. He is more mobile, gutsier, doesn’t get rattled and is just more advanced. More importantly, the players play better when he is playing. They trust him more, they know him better, they can probably relate to him better, they look up to his senior leadership, etc. Heck,  I bet they trusted Sark a little bit less when he chose Card. I sure did. 

I keep harping on this but Sark’s decision to start Card cause he looked good in shorts makes even less sense now than it did at the time and really set us back. Thank heavens Casey was mature enough not to opt out, and I wouldn’t have blamed him one bit if he had. 

The fact that Sark pulled Card against Tech and gave a Wright some snaps is very reassuring to me, as I don’t have to worry that he is an idiot like Herman who is so set in his ways that he has to prove that he is right, even to the detriment of the team. 

I wonder if he felt Card might go portal and decided to call him #1 to head that off, feeling more confident that of the two Casey would be the least likely to bolt.   And then he kept seeing all the line and other mistakes going on and  kept Card in there to show confidence in him?    I imagine all of that played into the decisions.  

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, boilerhorn said:

The intra-squad practices can distort things a bit.  QBs wear the red jersey, so they know they are not going to get hit.  The DL knows they cannot hit the QB; there's a chance that they play a little "soft."  With an extra split second and the confidence he is not going to get hit, a QB can be VERY successful.  I think that happened to Card.

When you remove the red jersey and add an opposing front seven with zero interest in the QB's physical well-being, you really get to see who the gamers are.

Also, players learn the tendencies of their own team.  That can often lead to players looking fantastic in practice and struggling in games.  I've seen it other sports (basketball, lacrosse, etc.).  An offensive player will exploit his teammate-defender because he has learned how he will respond to specific footwork, leans, etc.  I wonder if that did not play a part here, too.

Card probably didn’t try to bail on the pocket and take off in practice and take risks that lead to INT (like yesterday’s). Casey doesn’t hesitate to.  Sark seems to prefer not having his QB run. I can see why he went with Card.  But this OL necessitates someone who can make plays with their legs. 

Edited by Js1

The pig situation may have been a blessing in disguise.  Yeah we got embarrassed on national television but it showed Card he wasn't ready yet so sitting out and giving the reigns to Casey isn't too bad.  Casey took over and has balled out.  We win out and will pretty much be guaranteed a seat at the cfb playoffs now that arkie has shown itself as legit

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, futureman said:

if you think casey would’ve beat arkansas that night in fayetteville you should be posting on texags. they obliterated us at the line of scrimmage. VY could’ve won us that game. not casey. 

Casey would have won the game…

card could barely get a first down. 
casey drives at will against every team he plays.  Including arky (and their first team d). 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, UTGrad98 said:

To me that looked like he benched Card because he couldn't get the play off. Sark seemed pretty upset and it really should have been a delay of game. Wright came in shortly thereafter 

He got a delay of game penalty, and then should have gotten another one on the very next play but a slow whistle bailed him out. Wright was in on the next play after that.

Edited by Nope

50 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Just think .  If Casey and the wr ever get the long game clicking Holly shit.

Well if the DB’s would stop talking Worthy before the ball gets there, Casey might be able to connect with him. I think it was Moore and Worthy that were held on the same play because they beat their defender so bad. 

15 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

This. I think the biggest catalyst for the change has been Sark/Flood’s admission that this team isn’t good running inside. I believe Ark game Sark called OZ ~9% on running plays. Now it is the focus of the offense and a running game that has 750-770 rushing yards the last 2 games. I am not going to bet the running game will continue at this pace, but for the first time in a long time the Texas offense isn’t dependent on the QB for success. If that continues for Sark’s tenure it will go a long way for developing QBs 

1 hour ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Just think .  If Casey and the wr ever get the long game clicking Holly shit.

The one issue I have with Casey is him lofting the ball 40 feet in the air on every throw more than 20 yards.  He got away with it on the wheel route TD to Worthy but not the pick in the endzone to Whittington.

He throws a real pretty ball when he's not doing that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fellside said:

The one issue I have with Casey is him lofting the ball 40 feet in the air on every throw more than 20 yards.  He got away with it on the wheel route TD to Worthy but not the pick in the endzone to Whittington.

He throws a real pretty ball when he's not doing that.

You see that often on long passes in other games. It’s something they’re coached to do….it technically “drops the ball in” instead of just throwing a laser with no trajectory. It’s supposed to make the pass more difficult to intercept. 

24 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

You see that often on long passes in other games. It’s something they’re coached to do….it technically “drops the ball in” instead of just throwing a laser with no trajectory. It’s supposed to make the pass more difficult to intercept. 

There's a difference between getting some air on a throw and hanging one. He's hanging deep throws.

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

Well if the DB’s would stop talking Worthy before the ball gets there, Casey might be able to connect with him. I think it was Moore and Worthy that were held on the same play because they beat their defender so bad. 

Worthy got straight up tackled on that play.  The Tech db form tackled him as soon as Worthy got around him.

• Hook 'Em 1