Casey Thompson

Tex Long

51 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

This. I think the biggest catalyst for the change has been Sark/Flood’s admission that this team isn’t good running inside. I believe Ark game Sark called OZ ~9% on running plays. Now it is the focus of the offense and a running game that has 750-770 rushing yards the last 2 games. I am not going to bet the running game will continue at this pace, but for the first time in a long time the Texas offense isn’t dependent on the QB for success. If that continues for Sark’s tenure it will go a long way for developing QBs 

That’s my greatest hope. That we have someone who can run a functional offense, and not depend on the QB’s legs to make things right time and again. Being able to make things happen is a good thing. Having to make things happen every down is backyard hero ball. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Zeus said:

My wife is native American, she somehow knew that before Caseys first start against Rice the Kiowa tribe came and blessed him.

Shits working yo

That deep ball to the corner of the EZ was insane I thought he was throwing the ball away from my angle.

One ball was a little behind but still was caught. Other than the early drop and the Washington stumble on the go ball he was vibing with the receivers and very accurate.

Casey may be the one to send Lincoln Riley to the cowgurls.

Oh so that explains Sam Bradford's career earnings. 

3 hours ago, Goredho said:

Casey fucks now, Card will fuck in the future and it’s nice to have a head coach who corrects vs compounds his mistakes.

Remember that Kansas State game where Gilbert kept getting thrown out there interception after interception by Mack?  The game that destroyed any hope of Gilbert being anything but a bust at Texas?

Yeah, I’m glad we have a smarter coach than that for both these quarterback’s sake.

Very good point raised here.

Card could be nearly permanently damaged by sticking with him and the gameplan of Arkansas.  Gilbert certainly was, and I think Buechele might have been en route but for being replaced by Sam.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, USNALonghorn said:

Really annoying to watch Arky trash aggy and wonder what if we had started Casey against them

The OL was still a mess, but yes, Casey would have done much better. The OL is now gaining confidence because of Casey, the exact same thing happened in 2003 with Vince.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Very good point raised here.

Card could be nearly permanently damaged by sticking with him and the gameplan of Arkansas.  Gilbert certainly was, and I think Buechele might have been en route but for being replaced by Sam.

I still think Buechele got hurt in the Cal game. Some blitzer nailed him in the ribs / armpit area and his deep ball wasn't the same after that. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

The OL was still a mess, but yes, Casey would have done much better. The OL is now gaining confidence because of Casey, the exact same thing happened in 2003 with Vince.

The worst part of it is many of us thought Casey was the clear #1 and we went through this dumbass dog and pony show to start the season. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Casey reminds me of Tim Duncan. He’s quiet and soft spoken but has a presence on the field that creates a zen-like collectiveness throughout the team. Everyone settles into their roles and executes well because they’re confident in his leadership. This is not only reflected in the scoreboard, but also in the lack of penalties we’re used to having at the line. It’s nice not to have a fuckton of delay of game penalties all the time.

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I’d say the 2003 OL gained confidence because VY’s legs provided the constraint that GD couldn’t begin to think of, and they tasted success, developed belief and confidence and were able to win against honest numbers.

Casey not self sacking, being decisive and his confident demeanor surely help, but we’re finally asking them to do things that they can do, and Bijan either makes the defense pay or makes less than perfect execution right with his ridiculous skills. And now they are tasting success, developing belief and confidence and Sark is going to make sure they they face winnable box counts or he’ll buttfuck them with the RPO/PA.

Edited by Bobby_Batronic
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Casey has my vote to finish the season as numero uno.  Will be watching from the upper deck here in Cowtown next weekend and hoping that the cockroaches don't fall into what has become a reason for all of us to be optimistic the following week in Dallas. Fatterson will have the froggies spitting blood after the home loss yesterday to SMU but as mentioned previously, Texas will be circled on every opponent's calendar and will be getting the max effort from everybody.  Happy that Casey has stepped up and lifted this team in performance and attitude.  Hudson's time will come, either here hopefully, or somewhere else.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, fellside said:

The one issue I have with Casey is him lofting the ball 40 feet in the air on every throw more than 20 yards.  He got away with it on the wheel route TD to Worthy but not the pick in the endzone to Whittington.

He throws a real pretty ball when he's not doing that.

From the game, the interception throw was open, he was just late. He throws to that spot a half beat earlier and it's 6.

Casey was named On3’s Big 12 PoTW

Big 12

QB Casey Thompson, Texas

The buzz: Thompson and the Longhorns’ offense put up huge numbers in a 70-35 blistering of Texas Tech. Making his second career start, Thompson was 18-of-23 for 303 yards and five touchdowns, and he also rushed for 29 yards and a score as the Longhorns piled up 639 total yards. Thompson threw two TD passes and rushed for a score in the first half, which ended with Texas leading 42-14. Thompson threw three more scoring passes in the third quarter.

• Hook 'Em 3

Casey was named On3’s Big 12 PoTW

Big 12
QB Casey Thompson, Texas
The buzz: Thompson and the Longhorns’ offense put up huge numbers in a 70-35 blistering of Texas Tech. Making his second career start, Thompson was 18-of-23 for 303 yards and five touchdowns, and he also rushed for 29 yards and a score as the Longhorns piled up 639 total yards. Thompson threw two TD passes and rushed for a score in the first half, which ended with Texas leading 42-14. Thompson threw three more scoring passes in the third quarter.
Those numbers are incredible to me because even though I am watching and can see the score, Casey is starting to take total command of the offense and I don't realize the numbers he is putting up.
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, troph said:

The worst part of it is many of us thought Casey was the clear #1 and we went through this dumbass dog and pony show to start the season. 

Us went to zero practices though.

Hard to tell when you got a guy who seems to be more accurate and more in command of the offense in practice that the other guy is actually the one who will ball out in games.

I do think that Casey's legs will help our O line because they can't abandon their lanes or Casey will smoke em. 

Traditionally that ain't really Sark's thing with QBs but he's probably starting to figure out that it's gonna work with Casey. He's tough, strong, and smart/shifty enough to scramble.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Hard to tell when you got a guy who seems to be more accurate and more in command of the offense in practice that the other guy is actually the one who will ball out in games.

I do think that Casey's legs will help our O line because they can't abandon their lanes or Casey will smoke em. 

Traditionally that ain't really Sark's thing with QBs but he's probably starting to figure out that it's gonna work with Casey. He's tough, strong, and smart/shifty enough to scramble.

Sark let Locker do his thing on the ground at UW. The man has shown he will adapt.

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Us have great hindsight though and it sure looks dumb to start card early at this point in the season. A practice qb or a gamer? He’s on record saying he didn’t count game film. Proved to be a mistake. I’m good though - frustrated yes but he saw the error and adjusted. I’m really happy right now with where things are headed.

9 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

I’d say the 2003 OL gained confidence because VY’s legs provided the constraint that GD couldn’t begin to think of, and they tasted success, developed belief and confidence and were able to win against honest numbers.

Casey not self sacking, being decisive and his confident demeanor surely help, but we’re finally asking them to do things that they can do, and Bijan either makes the defense pay or makes less than perfect execution right with his ridiculous skills. And now they are tasting success, developing belief and confidence and Sark is going to make sure they they face winnable box counts or he’ll buttfuck them with the RPO/PA.

Yep…. It’s amazing how O lines will respond to a decent QB.   Notice I didn’t say an outstanding QB.   If they know they can go a number of series with out a three and out and allowing a sack or two without getting the blame for it, they will get confidence.  Plus score a TD, set up field position for a FG, this helps too.     It’s the shit where they get blamed for a QB staying in the pocket to long or making piss poor decisions that can make the line in unison say WTF and give up early.  This can bleed over to the defense too

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Yep…. It’s amazing how O lines will respond to a decent QB.   Notice I didn’t say an outstanding QB.   If they know they can go a number of series with out a three and out and allowing a sack or two without getting the blame for it, they will get confidence.  Plus score a TD, set up field position for a FG, this helps too.     It’s the shit where they get blamed for a QB staying in the pocket to long or making piss poor decisions that can make the line in unison say WTF and give up early.  This can bleed over to the defense too

Yup there was so many times in the turtle Tom era where the offense would lose all momentum them the defense would start playing bad and every one would throw a fit on the D. 

• Rage+1 1

14 hours ago, Zeus said:

My wife is native American, she somehow knew that before Caseys first start against Rice the Kiowa tribe came and blessed him.

Shits working yo

That deep ball to the corner of the EZ was insane I thought he was throwing the ball away from my angle.

One ball was a little behind but still was caught. Other than the early drop and the Washington stumble on the go ball he was vibing with the receivers and very accurate.

Casey may be the one to send Lincoln Riley to the cowgurls.

I'm still gonna wear my burnt orange underwear I wore against Rice and Tech til we lose, just in case.

• Like 1

So it sounds like you’re blaming Arkansas on Card.

I want you to think real hard on this.

Arkansas play 1 gets positive yards. I believe it was a run. Play 2 was again a run. A massive cluster which led to negative yards. After ULaLa, there were positives from Cards effort. So that Oline came out and messed their drawers from the opening play (or 2nd if you will). But the pass game was cleaned up well before Casey came in.

With good QB play, we could have won.

But make no mistake the play calling post Arkansas is more variable to start the game. Also the Oline started cleaning things up from the 2nd quarter of Arkansas on. Still too many misses, but that was cleaned up versus Tech.

These last two games are a QBs dream. Easy, easy , easy. Lots of easy throws. Fairly easy reads on many. And a run game that has defenses skeert.

Casey has done his job. He’s the starter.

But damn if we can’t give the Oline some credit. And then if we aren’t attributing it to the QB.
Sorry, but my money is on new scheme. Angilau and Jones switching spots from last year. Same with Kerstetter who also broke his damn ankle. The other two dudes are relatively inexperienced in high profile situations. And for some, maybe OZ is a big reason. Rice and Tech we had lots of hats on hats. There were times we moved the LOS several yards.
  • Hook 'Em 3

I wonder how much we would have won by at Arky had Casey started.
The way the hogs are playing right now I'm not convinced it would have changed the W-L column, (especially in their home pigpen) but I AM convinced we don't get scoreboard embarrassed with Casey starting the game.
  • Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, Dr.Dre said:

Tech back up qb columbi? That dude put up 3 big throws.  Those throws were actually quite well placed and coverage wasn’t horrible. Pass rush needs to get there to prevent those.

dude went from literally tackling himself on one play, to dropping 50 yard dimes in the breadbasket the next...insane