Ann Arbor

tokamak

If you're looking for an outdoor activity in the summer, I'd recommend renting a kayak at Argo Park and going down the Huron river to Gallup Park. One of my favorite ways to spend a summer afternoon in Ann Arbor...and by that I mean get in a tube and drink the entire time while others waste their time with kayaks.

https://www.a2gov.org/departments/Parks-Recreation/parks-places/argo/pages/default.aspx

Arbor Brewing had some interesting beers and a pretty cool taproom near pretty much everything. Jolly Pumpkin is Jolly Pumpkin. Unless yr a fan of their beers in particular, its a pretty missable outpost. Fleetwood Diner was pretty good for drunk/hangover food and The Earle was pretty forgettable. Rousing endorsement, of Ann Arbor, i know.

• 1 year later...
On 2/14/2019 at 8:59 AM, phdhorn said:

Yes, one of the best places in that entire region - Nichols  Arboretum.  And there are a few nature ares just east of that.  East side of Ann Arbor is pretty damn beautiful, even if you just traipse through the neighborhoods.

On 2/14/2019 at 10:03 AM, IDIOTsavant said:

If you're looking for an outdoor activity in the summer, I'd recommend renting a kayak at Argo Park and going down the Huron river to Gallup Park. One of my favorite ways to spend a summer afternoon in Ann Arbor...and by that I mean get in a tube and drink the entire time while others waste their time with kayaks.

https://www.a2gov.org/departments/Parks-Recreation/parks-places/argo/pages/default.aspx

Do either of y'all live in Ann Arbor? I'm thinking it seems like a nice place to live from mid March to mid November. Looking at CO too...my future depends on what happens with a medical test I need soon but I want to get the fuck out of Santa Fe. Thoughts?

4 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Do either of y'all live in Ann Arbor? I'm thinking it seems like a nice place to live from mid March to mid November. Looking at CO too...my future depends on what happens with a medical test I need soon but I want to get the fuck out of Santa Fe. Thoughts?

My wife and I lived in Ann Arbor for 3 years (fall 2014- spring 2017), and we loved it. The winters are obviously cold, but the summers are great. It's like a tiny Austin, but with vastly different weather. What is your motivation for moving there other than to get out Santa Fe?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

My wife and I lived in Ann Arbor for 3 years (fall 2014- spring 2017), and we loved it. The winters are obviously cold, but the summers are great. It's like a tiny Austin, but with vastly different weather. What is your motivation for moving there other than to get out Santa Fe?

Lived in Austin for 25 years and we agreed it was time to leave but at first we kept a foot in the state at first. Santa Fe was relatively easy to do that from but we soon realized we didn't need to go back to Austin as often as we thought. Been here almost 3 years and I told my wife I'd give it 2 before I passed judgment...it's just not for me. I don't care for the culture here, too many old people and the cultural divide between the mostly wealthy white population and the other predominant groups - hispanics and native americans - is very apparent...just not a friendly place in the long-term. And I've since discovered the high altitude doesn't agree with me. Came close to buying a house in Monterey CA last month but we didn't get it and upon reflection that was probably a good thing. Still thinking about the WA and OR, but Ann Arbor seems like it's worth checking out due to it being a good size, good hospitals, proximity to airports, outdoor activities...and real estate appears pretty affordable. I wouldn't like the winters but maybe would consider it if we had a place we could lock and leave from mid Nov to mid March. A woman from MI who was staying at a vrbo across from us gave me the idea. I think MI would be better for my allergies, too.

Edited by Chopper

48 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Lived in Austin for 25 years and we agreed it was time to leave but at first we kept a foot in the state at first. Santa Fe was relatively easy to do that from but we soon realized we didn't need to go back to Austin as often as we thought. Been here almost 3 years and I told my wife I'd give it 2 before I passed judgment...it's just not for me. I don't care for the culture here, too many old people and the cultural divide between the mostly wealthy white population and the other predominant groups - hispanics and native americans - is very apparent...just not a friendly place in the long-term. And I've since discovered the high altitude doesn't agree with me. Came close to buying a house in Monterey CA last month but we didn't get it and upon reflection that was probably a good thing. Still thinking about the WA and OR, but Ann Arbor seems like it's worth checking out due to it being a good size, good hospitals, proximity to airports, outdoor activities...and real estate appears pretty affordable. I wouldn't like the winters but maybe would consider it if we had a place we could lock and leave from mid Nov to mid March. A woman from MI who was staying at a vrbo across from us gave me the idea. I think MI would be better for my allergies, too.

My allergies disappeared in Michigan. That might have been the best part for me.

33 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

Is still a whore 

Insert obligatory, "if Ann Arbor's such a whore, why couldn't you get in?" response.

On a serious note, yes to Zingerman's. 
They opened a Buddy's Pizza in AA I think last summer. If you've never been, it's a must. 
There is a Jolly Pumpkin brewery that's decent. 
For an upscale night time lounge experience check out Rick's American Cafe. 

I assume you suggested Ricks as a joke and no one noticed, but the one time I went there it was better than my expectations. My wife did get a cap knocked off her tooth though...

Yeah, Rick’s is a dump but legendary in AA. @sidis and I saw Jeter there after the OSU game in ‘05. He was in the “VIP” area, which was a corner booth where he had one of his guys unscrew the lightbulb above him. 

There was about an inch of water in the men’s room and someone had broken all the urinals off the wall. Party!