Looks Like We Have Another Fake Hate Crime

Kyle

We've probably reached the point where fake hate crimes occur more than actual hate crimes. Looks like Empire actor had his two buddies on the show fake attack him. He tried to play the Race Card and the Gay Card ... oops. Of course the regards already had him on the emotive circuit.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-jussie-smollett-persons-of-interest-20190215-story.html

I'm not gonna enter the discussion of hate crimes, nor racial politics, nor even rampant homophobia in this nation.  And I don't know the plight of being Black in this country, yet alone Black in NE Illinois/NW Indiana.  

But I'm gonna throw something out there and it's gonna be offensive.  

It's hard enough being a law-abiding black man in Chicago.  It's about all you can do to avoid getting shot as collateral damage in either West Side/South Side gang bullshit and on top of that avoiding being murdered by police for simply being black at night in the wrong place at the wrong time.  So with that in mind, the fuck are your idiot asses thinking carrying out fake hate crimes at night in Chicago?  The black community in Chicago needs this dumb shit going on right now with all the violence already taking place in the real world, not the Hollywood one inside your friend's imagination?  The next person that tries something like this will probably get shot, and you'll blame it on racial profiling, but it will be due in part to stupidity.  Stop fueling the fire.   This is Chicago, not Pasadena. 

46 minutes ago, Kyle said:

We've probably reached the point where fake hate crimes occur more than actual hate crimes. Looks like Empire actor had his two buddies on the show fake attack him. He tried to play the Race Card and the Gay Card ... oops. Of course the regards already had him on the emotive circuit.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-jussie-smollett-persons-of-interest-20190215-story.html

Probably?

• Like 1

I'm not a huge fan of hate crimes, as a category of offense.**  However, I was unaware that there was a rash of fake ones.

**Because I think it is yet another instance of using the very blunt instrument of criminal law to pander to a segment of the electorate, rather than to effectively solve a social problem.  And don't get me wrong, I realize that most of the time that segment is old, racist-y white people.  I don't like it either way.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Detectives tracked them down through surveillance cameras in the Streeterville area, where Smollett says two men shouted racial and homophobic slurs at him late last month, hit him and wrapped a rope around his neck while yelling, “This is MAGA country!”

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

I'm not gonna enter the discussion of hate crimes, nor racial politics, nor even rampant homophobia in this nation.  And I don't know the plight of being Black in this country, yet alone Black in NE Illinois/NW Indiana.  

It's hard enough being a law-abiding black man in Chicago.  It's about all you can do to avoid getting shot as collateral damage in either West Side/South Side gang bullshit and on top of that avoiding being murdered by police for simply being black at night in the wrong place at the wrong time.  So with that in mind, the fuck are your idiot asses thinking carrying out fake hate crimes at night in Chicago?  The black community in Chicago needs this dumb shit going on right now with all the violence already taking place in the real world, not the Hollywood one inside your friend's imagination?  The next person that tries something like this will probably get shot, and you'll blame it on racial profiling, but it will be due in part to stupidity.  Stop fueling the fire.   This is Chicago, not Pasadena. 

Just now, Gucci_Suit said:
1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Read more  

Sorry. Meant to add: “nothing about that is offensive. It’s on point. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I can't decide which happens more, fake hate crimes or fake sexual assault crimes. One thing is for sure, women and minorities cannot be trusted. 

Wrong.  The fair ladies in the University of Texas Women’s Studies/Sociology Department did a comprehensive study and found one in three undergrad females were sexually assaulted at our school.  Probably all at white male frat houses.  Those stats were 100 percent bullet proof.  You shouldn’t even look at the survey questions and criterion.  Because they were completely legit and scientific.  

Edited by Johnny Sack
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

Wrong.  The fair ladies in the University of Texas Women’s Studies/Sociology Department did a comprehensive study and found one in three undergrads were sexually assaulted at our school.  Those stats were 100 percent bullet proof.  You shouldn’t even look at the survey questions and criterion.  Because they were completely legit and scientific.  

The issue here is not whether we broke a few rules, or took a few liberties with our female party guests. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Continental Op said:
43 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:
Kind of.  Lib politicians and twitter bought in hook line and sinker.  Just like Lebrons gate, poop swastika, MAGA black church burning, and Michael Bennett. 

Do "lib politicians and Twitter" post on the Surly politics board?

Sometimes it sounds that way.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Kind of.  Lib politicians and twitter bought in hook line and sinker.  Just like Lebrons gate, poop swastika, MAGA black church burning, and Michael Bennett. 

Exactly. The Establishment Media retards paraded him around to emote for a bit while never questioning his story. As noted above, a good bit of folks will never hear the retraction because they're never will be one. Prophet fucking muhammed, we gave Matthew Shephard a state funeral like he was a national hero for getting killed for stiffing his ex-lover and meth dealer on a drug deal.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Continental Op said:
58 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Do "lib politicians and Twitter" post on the Surly politics board?

You think criticism on the Surly politics board is limited to shit said or done by people who post here?

Because unless Hillary, Trump and AOC post here, it wouldn’t get much action. 

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'm not a huge fan of hate crimes, as a category of offense.**  However, I was unaware that there was a rash of fake ones.

**Because I think it is yet another instance of using the very blunt instrument of criminal law to pander to a segment of the electorate, rather than to effectively solve a social problem.  And don't get me wrong, I realize that most of the time that segment is old, racist-y white people.  I don't like it either way.

The media rarely brings attention to the revelation. One, it would mean admitting they jumped the gun. Two, it’s often well after the incident and the story has faded away.

Just going by Smollett’s own words in his first interview with Robin Roberts yesterday bc honestly that’s all that matters with all the stuff going around social media etc are his own words:

He also said he believes that he would have been taken more seriously if his attackers were Muslim or minorities. 

"It feels like if I had said it was a Muslim, or a Mexican, or someone black, I feel like the doubters would’ve supported me a lot more, and that says a lot about the place that we are in our country right now,” he said. 

You can watch the interview as well here and read excerpts from it: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/2865051002

Edited by Nicole44

6 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

Been following this story on a gossip site and a majority of the posters were claiming hoax within days of this coming out. Just crazy.

When the story said the attackers said "This is MAGA country", I knew it was 100% bullshit. Who the fuck even talks like this, especially people from Chicago? And random white dudes roaming Chicago streets at 2am Lmao. I have no idea why anyone would believe that shit.

I stand by the the sentiment that if you falsely accuse people of shit like this as do women do with false rape chargers, you need to serve time. Isn't this falsely filing a felony report? That is a felony I believe. He needs to serve time for this bullshit. Especially crying about a hate crime. Does he not know cameras are everywhere these days? It can easily be proved or disproved. Not one camera recorded the "attack". 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

When the story said the attackers said "This is MAGA country", I knew it was 100% bullshit. Who the fuck even talks like this, especially people from Chicago? And random white dudes roaming Chicago streets at 2am Lmao. I have no idea why anyone would believe that shit.

I stand by the the sentiment that if you falsely accuse people of shit like this as do women do with false rape chargers, you need to serve time. Isn't this falsely filing a felony report? That is a felony I believe. He needs to serve time for this bullshit. Especially crying about a hate crime. Does he not know cameras are everywhere these days? It can easily be proved or disproved. Not one camera recorded the "attack". 

It should be... unfortunately victim advocates won’t let that happen for fear that victims won’t report if we stiffen the laws.  There was a USC football recruit a few years back that spent like 6 yrs in prison for a false accusation...   

i don’t have the answer but something needs to be done.  

2 minutes ago, SDG said:

It should be... unfortunately victim advocates won’t let that happen for fear that victims won’t report if we stiffen the laws.  There was a USC football recruit a few years back that spent like 6 yrs in prison for a false accusation...   

i don’t have the answer but something needs to be done.  

Something needs to be done. You should not be able to falsely accuse a crime and tarnish people's name with zero consequence. Like the woman or women who did that against the Duke lacrosse team. Even after it came out that it was false, the damage to them was done. By the time it came out it was not true, the court of public opinion had ruled and moved on.

It should not deter any real victims from coming forward because proof can usually be attained in these times. But making them serve time will start to deter the fake allegations from happening.

10 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Something needs to be done. You should not be able to falsely accuse a crime and tarnish people's name with zero consequence. Like the woman or women who did that against the Duke lacrosse team. Even after it came out that it was false, the damage to them was done. By the time it came out it was not true, the court of public opinion had ruled and moved on.

It should not deter any real victims from coming forward because proof can usually be attained in these times. But making them serve time will start to deter the fake allegations from happening.

I agree completely, but good luck. 

I don’t know why his two buddies from Empire would agree to go in on this. What’s in it for them, a few bucks? Is this dude that flush with work and cash that these guys would believe that he was going to put them on the Hollywood fast track to fame (if they pulled this off)?

Talk about a couple of nincompoops if this all really turns out to be shenanigans.

3 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

I agree with your general principle.

However, your questioning of white dudes roaming Chicago at 2 am is hilarious.

People that have never been have an idea of what Chicago is like that is SO far from reality.

I lived downtown and roamed the streets often past 2 am on the weekends and I wasn't alone. Lotsa white women and other hot races too. 

Lulz, Streeterville where his allegedly occurred??  Hehehe there is a W there.

I lived off the street where the W is and you could see Lamborghinis, Ferarris and Porches with amazing regularity. Hell, sometime you could see McClarens and Bugatis. Do yourself a favor and google search images of Streeterville Chicago. It's just north of the loop by the lake downtown.  

Cool, did you carry a noose and have gallon of bleach with you?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1