Looks Like We Have Another Fake Hate Crime

Kyle

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I'm TERRIBLE with knots.  Find the easiest knot for any circumstance, and that's the one I'll pick.  I have the manual dexterity of a 100 year old blind gorilla with Parkinsons.  And my vision ain't getting any better, either.  The day you have to tuck readers into your fishing vest is a sad day.

A guy who I worked with used to say "can't tie a knot, then just tie a lot!"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, I mean, it is an existing knot.  That knot looks like a noose -- seriously, if I saw that hanging in my garage (say that the teenage boy had tied it as a hoist to work on his bike or something), I'd be alarmed, because it looks like a fucking noose.

I tie lazy loops for a pull all the time.  Like this:

fRVUKhW9cOmcNcx6dNpO9LS773L-ox4mT_w76P8c

So, the visual on a hemp rope that looks like a noose is jarring, I get that.  And that fact that there is literally one, out of over a thousand stalls....that looks odd.  I believe the official version of the story, that this was a pull handle that had been there for months.   But I also get how it sure appeared troubling at the outset.  

The truth is most likely that this was something that legitimately appeared disturbing, and was an unusual sight in a NASCAR facility, that in the end, turned out to be a nothing, except for an unfortunate coincidence.

I don’t disagree with any of this.  I’d probably tie any number of easier knots to make a pull handle before the Bimini.  Probably some old guy who likes to show off his knot tying skills.  

Outside of the CNN interview, I don’t think Wallace did anything objectionable 

3 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Shaun King is also the same nut job who wants to tear down statues of Jesus. 

Why stop at statues?

69-BCF484-7-A52-4-CDF-946-A-D39-CBC1-A91
My wife asked our beta pastor if he had heard about this, and he responded that he hadn’t and that our church’s extensive stained-glass windows have glass on the outside to protect them...from hail. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Axiom of Choice said:

Perfection loops are very easy to tie and very useful, and they look nothing like a hangman's noose other than the fact it has a loop.  

and a perfection loop looks nothing like the knot tied in the image vic posted earlier.

this:

perfection-loop-2.jpg

vs:

Edited by elfenix

24 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Does the loop close under load?  The perspective on that picture is very misleading. That pic looks big enough for a human when in reality it might be too small for a squirrel. None of that changes that is been there for eight months. 

no one is saying it hasn't been there.  what's been presented by various forum goers and internet sleuths is a lot of knots that aren't the knot that was hanging in that garage. 

i found a clearer image (click):

2020-06-25_19-21-53.thumb.jpg.31c550d4add692e2743461d34ba93939.jpg

compare with the diagram of how to tie a hangman's noose:

How-to-Tie-a-Hangmans-Noose.jpg

Edited by elfenix

as i understand it, and i haven't seen anyone say otherwise, it's the rope that opens/closes the door.  every garage has one.  per these tweets and some other sources, nascar has stated that that one garage is the only where that rope is tied like that:

further, i'm inclined to take the FBI at its word that it is a noose.  and from the details that can be seen in the picture, it seems to match up the instructions for tying a noose.  i'm aware that seemingly minor variations in how the rope paths around in a knot can change everything about it, but i have yet to see a diagram of a knot that matches the pic but isn't a noose.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

If it doesn’t close under pressure then the pictures posted are moot. The fact it’s been there for months and is still a loop tells the story. If it were the knot you posted, it would close when pressure was applied. 

*JMO

It doesn’t f-ing matter. It looks like a noose on random viewing. Whether it closes or not doesn’t change the fact that it looked like a noose to the crew member who saw it which started this whole thing and then it looked like a noose to others that viewed it. It was investigated and determined to be from October. Great, it’s been cleared and it wasn’t a racist action towards Bubba specifically which is a positive.

Are you arguing at this point that they should have pulled on it to see if it closed before thinking it was a noose? If it didn’t close then they should have moved on? In light of the current environment, I don’t agree. It looks like a noose, it was worth checking into based on the background of nooses and the African American community. Blowing it off would have been a bigger issue.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Sandman said:

I worked in a lot of warehouses in my life, I've never seen anyone make a knot like that just to pull up a door. But I have seen them used to hook onto a bollard or hook to make sure the door didn't close on it's own. That's my guess.

Heck, I've just always seen knots tied in the rope.  Never a loop of ANY kind.

2 hours ago, Axiom of Choice said:

I was on the water a lot as a kid and had to learn how to tie all kinds of knots.  I've forgotten many of them, but still know the basics.  I have a hard time understanding how anyone around working environments can mistake a loop for a noose.  They are completely different types of knots.  Nooses, also sometimes called running knots, tighten under load while loops do not.  No one would use a noose for a pull down rope because it would tighten on your hand.  Also, a hangman's noose is not a very practical knot because it takes a lot of rope to tie and there are easier and more practical running knots if needed.  So you pretty much never see them, and if you think you see one just go take a closer look and realize it is not a hangman's noose.  Should take about 2 seconds.  Loops knots are very practical and used all over the place, so there probably should be some basic education done on them so we don't have national panic every time someone finds a loop knot.  Perfection loops are very easy to tie and very useful, and they look nothing like a hangman's noose other than the fact it has a loop.  

Well fuck, I can tie a square knot, and I can tie my shoes.  What the hell else does a man need to know unless it's some speciality shit?  Nothing.

Just thought...if the freaking thing closes under a load,(a noose) no one would use it for a door pull.  Who in the hell would want to crush/squeeze/pinch their hand pulling a damned door down?  The first time that happened the thing would be cut off and re-tied with a different type of knot.

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Axiom of Choice said:

I don't think the FBI is lying or anything like that.  I think many journalists & writers probably don't know or care the difference between a noose and a loop and are simply using the term they've heard repeated.  The knot does look excessive for pull rope purpose, and like a poster above mentioned I would have used a bowline or perfection loop.  The knot in the picture could be some type of bimini twist.  Again, it's not the one I would use, but some folks only learn a few knots and work with what they know.  It would not make sense to use a noose type knot for a pull rope.  A hangman's noose is easy to learn, so maybe it was the only knot the person who tied it could remember.  It would be odd, though. 

Some commonly used knots look like nooses.  Are we going to send in the feds every time we find a loop knot? 

e0e37611578caca8772827ab84be19f4.jpg

My point is that an ounce of basic sense and five minutes of investigation could clear it up.  No need for national story and 15 federal agents to determine the rope pulls down a door.  

Your bimini twist doesn’t look like the picture, see where the tag end comes out which is much more similar to a noose. Single black driver in the series, NASCAR banning confederate flags, current environment, etc are a little different than finding a random knot somewhere. Again, it’s been investigated and figured out. I’m not sure where your issue lays still. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Axiom of Choice said:

I think everyone should know how to tie at least one knot within each of the following categories of knot:  bend (for tying rope to rope, like the square knot), hitch (for tying rope to object), and loop.  I like blood knot, clove hitch, and bowline.  You can get a lot of use out of just those three.  

Just tie me a sheepshank..,

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Axiom of Choice said:

I said the knot in picture looks like a type of bimini twist.  It is very easy to do a modification of the standard setup of the bimini twist loop knot and get one that looks exactly like the one in the picture.  Other loops knots do look like nooses.  I think it would be better to not panic anytime we find a rope.  

My issue lays in the sheer absurdity of the situation.  Instead of an FBI task force, it could have been investigated by asking any kid in the area "hey kid, what's that rope for?"  Next time we might try that first.  

Everyone knew exactly what the rope was for. I don’t believe the investigation was why was that rope there but more so to the fact of why did someone tie a noose in that rope in an African American drivers garage just for the record. Does a noose only qualify as a noose that should be looked into if it is in a separately added rope hanging from a sturdy branch of an oak tree or could the image of a noose portray the same message?

I’m also fairly certain the FBI is brought in normally to investigate perceived hate crimes. There is nothing abnormal about that scenario.

Edited by Brew
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Axiom of Choice said:

I think everyone should know how to tie at least one knot within each of the following categories of knot:  bend (for tying rope to rope, like the square knot), hitch (for tying rope to object), and loop.  I like blood knot, clove hitch, and bowline.  You can get a lot of use out of just those three.  

I can get a lot of good taking a good shit too. Fuck a brunch of knots.

3 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

The likes for this post are like a rogue’s gallery of no CR safe spacers.

The inverse is true of the "yeah, but we know what we know because of an isolated photo not comparing the ropes of multiple stalls,  while also ignoring the video from last year showing multiple hand loops in garages at Talladega, and oh...ignoring the findings of the FBI investigation." crowd.

Edited by Iceman

4 hours ago, Axiom of Choice said:

I said the knot in picture looks like a type of bimini twist.  It is very easy to do a modification of the standard setup of the bimini twist loop knot and get one that looks exactly like the one in the picture.  Other loops knots do look like nooses.  I think it would be better to not panic anytime we find a rope.  

My issue lies in the sheer absurdity of the situation.  Instead of an FBI task force, it could have been investigated by asking any kid in the area "hey kid, what's that rope for?"  Next time we might try that first.  

it's like you think this is the first time a whole garage full of nascar people has ever been in a garage before. 

35 minutes ago, Iceman said:

while also ignoring the video from last year showing multiple hand loops in garages at Talladega

none of which look like this knot (looking more like the perfection knot than either a hangman's knot or some modified bimini that looks just like a hangman's knot), so who is ignoring videos?

35 minutes ago, Iceman said:

ignoring the findings of the FBI investigation." crowd.

who is ignoring the findings of the FBI investigation?  quit making up windmills to tilt against.

Edited by elfenix

I'm not tiliting...LOlz.

Just laughing at the folks insisting there's still something there... as if to say, all of the folks invested in the racism being there just gave up and went home.

That's not to defend anything about NASCAR, but the Monday morning QBing of "what was really there" is ludicrous.  It would have exploded if there was evidence to the contrary.

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Axiom of Choice said:

Are we going to send in the feds every time we find a loop knot? 

Are you purposely ignoring the circumstances and the fact it does look like a noose?

Side note: I learned to tie a noose as a kid and there was nothing racial about it. Hell, I didn’t even associate the knot with racism until I became an adult. I associated it with hanging criminals, regardless of color. Once I was educated on its history, in relation to African Americans, I never thought of tying one again.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lechuza said:

Bernstein described the men as “classic Wisconsin frat boys” who appeared to be intoxicated.

Is that second part even necessary?

53 minutes ago, Lechuza said:

I am skeptical as well.  There's apparently surveillance footage (there's a lot in the area)...I'll wait till that plays out before I reach any conclusion on this.  And that's what everyone should do, including the spokesperson for the Wisconsin Lt. Governor.  Let's see what the investigation shows.