Active shooter thread

Hugo Stiglitz

7 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i'm talking about the solution to school safety.  i was told upthread (by others) that arming and training sentries would not only neutralize an active shooter event, but would also deter potential situations from happening.

and you should not pivot to "you can't take our guns because it's our right to own guns" as that is by far the stupidest reason to allow something.  stick with home security, or whatever.

what point are you trying to make?  that because this one guy failed that no one else is capable of neutralizing an active shooter?

2 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

what point are you trying to make?  that because this one guy failed that no one else is capable of neutralizing an active shooter?

what point are you trying to make, that this one guy is the rare exception to a really good system?

The SRO's reaction to this emergency situation is common for untrained or poorly trained human beings who are placed in a life/death situations.  Without repetition and muscle memory built in, most people will react poorly.  Under severe stress, the human body will shut down.  Blood will first leave the fingers/feet resulting in a loss of fine motor skills.  As the stress continues, the blood will leave the arms/legs resulting in a paralysis.  There will auditory exclusion which is the brain attempting interpret sounds differently than they are actually happening.  The brain wants the sound to be anything but something deadly or scary and will work to make that logical.   The ability to make even the simplest rational decision goes away.  I believe this is what happened to this guy.  He was a bottom of the barrel level police officer who was poorly trained and completely overmatched for the event that took place.   

I am a big fan of training school teachers, administrators to be first responders.  They have a built-in care for the students that you will not find with a rent-a-cop who only took the job because nothing else was available.  I am also in favor of sentries/teachers/administrators at controlled entrances to the campuses.  I am in favor of them being armed but I am sure not everyone wants that.  No problem with that.  They still need to be trained to profile, and sound the alarm to shut down the schools.  Electronic locks on every door that can be centrally controlled will be a great help.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

and you should not pivot to "you can't take our guns because it's our right to own guns" as that is by far the stupidest reason to allow something.  stick with home security, or whatever.

I don’t really gaf whether you find the reasoning stupid. I have the access and means to the ones I want, and will for the rest of my life.   At worst, they will be grandfathered down to my kids and grandkids just like many of mine were. Believe it or not, you worry about the subject much more than I do. Like I said upthread, the people with the land, the money, and the power at the highest levels are gun owners/advocates. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

coming off Reuters.

“What’s going on?” a woman can be heard asking on one video. “Who’d shoot up a garlic festival?”

SACRAMENTO (Reuters) - An active shooter was reported at a food festival in California on Sunday and a police spokesman said there are casualties. 

Few other details were immediately available. NBC Bay Area reported that ambulance crews were told 11 people “were down” after shots rang out on the last day of the Gilroy Garlic Festival, an annual three-day event south of San Jose.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-california-shooting/active-shooter-reported-at-food-festival-in-california-police-idUSKCN1UO030

3 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

The regular occurrence of terrorist acts and the joking complacency that is naturally developing reminds me so much of the movie, Brazil.

Time to revisit that one.

Garlic Festival?  Misogynist?  When will these ANTIFA terrorists stop!

• Like 1

Gun was an SKS which is a WW2 era semiautomatic battle rifle that preceded the AK-47 but it takes the same round as an AK 47 so that’s what it’s being compared to in the media. 

The SKS was also the weapon of choice in 2016 Dallas shooting of police officers. 

43 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Gun was an SKS which is a WW2 era semiautomatic battle rifle that preceded the AK-47 but it takes the same round as an AK 47 so that’s what it’s being compared to in the media. 

The SKS was also the weapon of choice in 2016 Dallas shooting of police officers. 

Also shooter purchased it legally in Nevada on July 9th. 

15 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

From what I’m hearing this isn’t going to be good for Trump.  Don’t want to spread misinformation so I’ll wait for official confirmation.

Just spit it out and don’t play the same fucking games that Trump does with the “you’ll hear about it later on”.   

Just say you are hearing rumors and here they are.  We can decide for ourselves.   I’ve already seen the video of bodies, wounded or dead, in the parking lot.   

Edited by atomheartbevo

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

Just spit out and don’t play the same fucking games that Trump does with the “you’ll hear about it later on”.   

Just say you are hearing rumors about here they are.  We can decide for ourselves.   I’ve already seen the video of bodies in the parking lot.   

8chan white nationalist with manifesto is what I’m hearing but that has become the norm now and an easy scapegoat.  It might be something else.

27 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Just spit it out and don’t play the same fucking games that Trump does with the “you’ll hear about it later on”.   

Just say you are hearing rumors and here they are.  We can decide for ourselves.   I’ve already seen the video of bodies, wounded or dead, in the parking lot.   

I don't need to hear speculation from one of the 10,000 nobodies Hugo follows on Twitter. 

• Pancho changed the title to Active shooter thread