Active shooter thread

Hugo Stiglitz

43 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Maybe the majority of educated people are liberal because liberals are smarter than conservatives.

Just a theory.

Could be.  Many of the best educations are had on the coasts and the north, which may also lend to that.

40 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Now, the average Trump voter versus the average Non-Trump voter.  Yeah, that's an SAT Landslide.  

More likely this, though.  

5 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Maybe the majority of educated people are liberal because liberals are smarter than conservatives.

Just a theory.

hmm, jewish people are generally smart and generally funny.  jewish people are largely liberals/dems.

although the right is getting better at comedy, and it's making jewish people nervous.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, American Swindle said:

You're right, my bad.  I'm not entrenched in the board as much as others and mainly hang in the Cloak Room so in all honesty I'm not informed as to the political leanings of everyone on the board that do not post in the CR.  

It has been my experience that the CR seems to be more progressive than conservative or libertarian based on the most active users.  Call it my opinion from my limited experience.  

You should take a step back, read some history, and study what the words progressive, liberal, and conservative actually mean.

Then, you can come to realize that the American "conservatives" that hold political office have raced well past the line of conservative and enthusiastically plunged headfirst into the fascist deep end. The American "liberals" that hold political office would be considered conservative in just about any other civilized country.

I used to vote pretty much exclusively Republican until the 2012 election, but I just couldn't stomach Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan. I'm sure plenty of other CR posters followed the same or a similar pattern.

I was able to see how insane the Republican party was becoming, that the election and subsequent reelection of a black man as President had driven most of them to this bizarre derangement that the Mitch McConnell's of the world were happily demonstrating.

Today they embrace a level of corruption we've never seen in American politics, and they do it openly and enthusiastically, because they know that most Americans don't pay attention and just vote down party lines, and they think they can get away with it.

I still consider myself pretty conservative, but I'd be embarrassed to call myself a republican.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

I was able to see how insane the Republican party was becoming, that the election and subsequent reelection of a black man as President had driven most of them to this bizarre derangement that the Mitch McConnell's of the world were happily demonstrating.

You should see how deranged the left is after electing an orange one.

• Fuck You 2

58 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

You should see how deranged the left is after electing an orange one.

That's cute.

Meanwhile, in today's conservative world, it's the thing to get deranged at a foreign broadcaster who edited a third-rate movie in 2014 to remove a fleeting few seconds of a quasi-celebrity who would later become the cult-God of the GOP.

2 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

That's cute.

Meanwhile, in today's conservative world, it's the thing to get deranged at a foreign broadcaster who edited a third-rate movie in 2014 to remove a fleeting few seconds of a quasi-celebrity who would later become the cult-God of the GOP.

Hey man, we can disagree on many things, but if you are going to hate on the Home Alone series, you can f right off.

On 12/31/2019 at 10:45 AM, atomheartbevo said:

I'm still waiting on my grant to study it, but I have a theory that Surly, and previously Shaggy, see much more activity in subforms like CR, Movies, Music, hobbies, etc., when the football program has a dumpster fire going in the coaching ranks.

Everybody is a lot happier after last night.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Enchubben said:

Democrats: the party of tolerance.

While I'm not a Democrat, I tolerate very little foolishness from aggy, and coincidentally, I tend not to tolerate it from today's GOP.

There is a reason why aggy forums like TexAgs are absolutely in love with Trump, and worship the ground he walks on.  Hell, TexAgs has/had a pretty serious thread going on with Qanon.

Think about that.  Qanon's track record - not so good and batshit insane a lot of times, and yet Republicans, TexAgs, SECRant/Tiger Droppings, Free Republic, Reddit, etc. are full of people who hang on Qanon's every word. And Trump has retweeted the Qanon idiots.

When you are associating yourself with groups that are as far out as Alex Jones, and that think these mass shootings are staged, there's a problem.

But you won't hear Trump and Turtle bashing Qanon.  Oh no, they wouldn't do that.

• 3 weeks later...

Sums this up perfectly: “Imagine if a large group of black men with assault weapons and ski masks were marching in the VA capital.“

Oh, that happened.  Wondering what the response was?

”The Mulford Act was a 1967 California bill that repealed a law allowing public carrying of loaded firearms. Named after Republican assemblyman Don Mulford, and signed into law by then governor of California, Ronald Reagan, the bill was crafted in response to members of the Black Panther Party who were conducting armed patrols of Oakland neighborhoods while they were conducting what would later be termed copwatching”

My wife is staying a block away from where that shooting happened. She’s in Seattle for a work conference. She called after it happened so thankfully she’s fine. Nothing makes you feel quite as helpless as hearing about this when you’re 5 states away. 

• Like 4

I had folks I work with there in the nearby coffee shop. Close to a major transportation hub. 

Something something thoughts and prayers something. (It's Seattle, so whatever version of T&P works best for druids... Lamentations to Gaia or Pan?) 

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

My wife is staying a block away from where that shooting happened. She’s in Seattle for a work conference. She called after it happened so thankfully she’s fine. Nothing makes you feel quite as helpless as hearing about this when you’re 5 states away. 

glad she is ok my homie

21 hours ago, mdmost said:

Glad to hear this, so I’m guessing the party is still on in a few weeks!

• 2 weeks later...
Is this even considered news anymore?
This won’t even make a blip with Iowa , impeachment, and now Limbaugh.
So incredibly sad.
Already seeing TX "campus carry" law mentioned in this case (both ways), so I think this will get more press than a Walmart parking lot shooting.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:
this is so obviously not him it’s hilarious. 

What gave it away? The empathy? The vocabulary? The "pierce the soul"?  Factbase agrees with you that it is likely staff.

While in Florida tomorrow, the President is going to attend the Daytona 500. Too bad it's not the Little 500 in Bloomington. A trip around the oval on a bicycle and we wouldn't need to worry about November.

Dad: God-damned see-thru coffee!

Mom: He was very sickly until he started riding around on that bicycle.

Dad: Yeah... well... now his body's fine, but his mind is gone.

Dad: Refund? Refund? Are you crazy! Refund? Refund? Refund?

In other school shooting news...  the "good guy" with a gun thing is going great. It's like McDonald's workers with a gun.

A safe-school officer hired to protect children stood in front of a mirror, clutched her gun for practice and pulled the trigger of what she thought was an unloaded weapon. The gun fired and sent a bullet through the mirror.

At a Central Florida school, an officer on her lunch break slipped into a school bathroom and filmed a nude video of herself for her husband. An investigator concluded her response to a school shooting could have been delayed by her “disrobed state.”

One officer pawned his service weapon, pistol flashlight and ballistic vest and was then found patrolling his school with a pellet gun in his holster.

Those safe-school officer mishaps were revealed in the first batch of notifications school districts provided under a new state requirement and reviewed by the South Florida Sun Sentinel. Since May, school systems have been required to notify the state’s Office of Safe Schools whenever a safe-school officer is fired or disciplined for misconduct or discharges a weapon outside of training.

Eleven notifications have been filed so far, representing only a tiny number of officers patrolling the state’s schools.

But for Kenneth Trump, a school safety consultant, those notifications raise a question that leaders should be asking themselves: Do enough qualified armed guards exist to meet the state’s mandate that a “good guy with a gun” be stationed on every campus?

Police departments across the country are struggling to recruit qualified candidates, and Florida’s mandate created after the Feb. 14, 2018, Parkland school shooting only created more demand for qualified officers to keep schoolchildren safe.

Under pressure to meet the mandate, school officials and sheriffs have no choice but to lower the bar, Trump said.

“The emotional reaction to this is great,” said Trump, president of the Cleveland-based firm National School Safety and Security. “There’s a political benefit. The legislators come out shining like angels, but the school administrators are stuck struggling with the devil in the details.”

Broward County, for instance, lowered its standards for guardians because it was having a hard time filling the positions. Initially, the district required at least two years of military or law enforcement experience. It revised those standards to consider candidates with experience working as a security guard.

Safe-school officers in Broward County make about $26,000 to $34,000. Guardians who work during summer programs can earn an additional $5,100 to $6,600. Compensation and job requirements vary by district.

Broward’s standards go beyond those in state law, which doesn’t set specific job qualifications. State law requires that guardians complete 144 hours of training and pass a background check and psychological evaluation.

Bob Gualtieri, chairman of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Commission, said the notifications show problems only with a “minuscule” number of safe-school officers, and he thinks the standards are sufficient.

“The right oversight mechanism is in place," said Gualtieri, who is the sheriff in Pinellas County. "The reality is there is no perfect in the world. You take reasonable steps to ensure you get the right people, and they are trained properly. We in essence are putting these guardians through the same scrutiny that we put police officers through, and they are being signed off on by the sheriff.”

Nearly 3,000 law enforcement officers and 900 guardians are assigned to schools in Florida, according to a June presentation given by the Office of Safe Schools.

Here are some examples of issues reported to the state.

In Hillsborough County, a school guardian accidentally fired a bullet through a bathroom mirror while practicing before her firearms certification test at the sheriff office’s firearm range. Another guardian — who had passed the required psychological evaluation — handed a suicide note to the principal and abandoned his post. A nearby veterans hospital admitted him for treatment 40 minutes later. A third guardian pawned his service weapon, pistol flashlight and ballistic vest; his supervisor discovered he was carrying a pellet gun on campus instead of his assigned service weapon.
A safe-school officer sent a nude video to her husband on her lunch break while inside a locked one-stall bathroom at a Kissimmee Imagine Charter Academy near Orlando.
A Broward County school guardian assigned to Sheridan Hills Elementary School in Hollywood resigned in lieu of termination when an investigation revealed he left a loaded gun in a duffel bag inside his locked office. The district alleged that the firearm was not properly secured and violated procedures on the safe storage of firearms.
Other notifications involved a Clay County safe-school officer who was fired for shoving a student and a Brevard County guardian who was carrying unauthorized ammunition. School officials in Seminole County became concerned when a school resource officer drew his gun during a drill. An administrator said she worried the officer had post-traumatic stress disorder from prior military service.
Some districts provided scant details in their notices. A Volusia County school guardian resigned amid an investigation into “misconduct." Two safe-school officers in Duval County resigned after they were suspended for “prohibited conduct” that brought the school police force into “disrepute or ridicule.”
While there is a police officer shortage, districts have "no shortage of available options’ to meet the mandate of an armed guard on every campus, Gualtieri said.

Edited by Loco

26 minutes ago, Loco said:

Thanks. That's a credible source that I can bookmark. If I can't verify the source of information I find on the internet then it is useless to me and I just skip it. 

We in essence are putting these guardians through the same scrutiny that we put police officers through, and they are being signed off on by the sheriff.”

It's just a matter of time until an unarmed black student gets shot. 

3 hours ago, Loco said:

In other school shooting news...  the "good guy" with a gun thing is going great. It's like McDonald's workers with a gun.

Eleven notifications have been filed so far, representing only a tiny number of officers patrolling the state’s schools.

But for Kenneth Trump, a school safety consultant, those notifications raise a question that leaders should be asking themselves: Do enough qualified armed guards exist to meet the state’s mandate that a “good guy with a gun” be stationed on every campus?

This guy with this name and he's a school safety consultant? Unless he's pulling in $30,000 a month consulting on behalf of DeVos' Dept of Education, he's "nepotising" incorrectly.

Every time this thread gets bumped, "This Is America" plays in my head. We're just a violent society that solves our problems with violence and have the means to inflict as much damage and death as possible. And no one cares because no one wants to give an inch. 

• Pancho changed the title to Active shooter thread