Active shooter thread

Hugo Stiglitz

Yeah, just saw the shirt. That’s pretty racist. 

I am not getting what the shooter, who I believe is a racist, is hoping to do with his arguments.

”Yes, I gunned down all those people in cold blood. But it was because of my pathological hatred of women and deformed attitude to sex. I would hate for you to think I’m a racist.”

Does this move anyone’s sympathy needle one way or another even if it’s true? 

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

The cops never made a value judgment or editorialized.  They passed along exactly what the dude told them. It’s fine to say the neck beard is a racist shithead, but don’t flip out at the cops for writing down what he told them. That’s kind of their job.

1:06  "They got the impression that..."

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

You're complaining about something that may hypothetically happen by someone, somewhere. And that something doesn't change the big picture view of what this sick fuck did one iota. Your point is stupid and you are stupid for bringing it up. It is just bullshit deflection and self-victimization. Anything so that you can say: see, those folks aren't really righteous. Shut the fuck up Donny. 

the big lebowski brandt GIF

I'm wary of the sticklers for detail in situations like this. Facts are always important but it just feels like there's a "we're all victims of the same hate crime" shared sacrifice tone in the response. All lives matter type of bullshit that distracts from problem.

Years ago we used to make fun of the representation that so many crimes involving guns were attributed to AK’s. It wasn’t because we all owned AK’s or even supported ownership of those weapons (I do not) but rather the sensationalizing by the media. (Same went for pit bulls BTW).

You are making some pretty fucking big leaps here. For some of us, accuracy matters.
  • Like 1

It was how the former Moron-in-Chief pronounced China. His white nationalist followers loved it because any chance to make fun of cultural differences is something they enjoy. That's also why Kung Flu and Chinavirus get tons of play. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

33 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Years ago we used to make fun of the representation that so many crimes involving guns were attributed to AK’s. It wasn’t because we all owned AK’s or even supported ownership of those weapons (I do not) but rather the sensationalizing by the media. (Same went for pit bulls BTW).

You are making some pretty fucking big leaps here. For some of us, accuracy matters.

You think it's a pretty big leap to say his motive was to kill Asians, particularly Asian women? I'll go out on that limb.

5 hours ago, speed817 said:

Silly at first, probably.  I can forgive someone's ignorance at first.  But once you've corrected somebody, you would hope they would catch on.  When they purposely keep mispronouncing it, then it is a problem.  When I took my high school health class my senior year with one of the football coaches, he purposely would mispronounce my last name through the entire semester.  And it wasn't like I was the only Nguyen who had ever been at Arlington Lamar.  I didn't report it at them time because I knew I would be onto bigger and better things in ATX in a few months.  But if that shit happened to my kids today, something is going to happen....

For whatever it's worth, HS coaches are assholes (generally speaking).  I wouldn't be surprised if he did it just to be a dick or a racist.  My HS coach/teacher had the racism of low expectations and announced in class he doesn't care if black dudes swear, use improper language, but if a white kid does it..."well, you should know better."  

• Rage+1 1

33 minutes ago, Genco said:

You think it's a pretty big leap to say his motive was to kill Asians, particularly Asian women? I'll go out on that limb.

The men who beat Vincent Chin to death also said it wasn't racially motivated. They got off with a $3000 fine and 3 years probation  🤷‍♂️

21 minutes ago, Genco said:

Well the "all lives matter" people are fucking racists and morons, or a combo.  So liking a person to that for preferring accuracy in reporting, to those people is a big fucking leap. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

It is offensive. Characters like Long Duck Dong have made it seem like the offensive stereotype is just "good fun", but it really isn't. We need to stop normalizing that behavior. It is bullying and a way to make others feel superior.  It is no more funny than the jack ass yelling "four-eyes." We've done away with that phrase, leaving it to be used only in TV and movies by characters the audience is supposed to hate.  The stupid Asian jokes deserve the same treatment. 

The claim that the use of "ho lee fuk" in place of "holy fuck" - when not directed at an asian person - is done to make anyone feel superior makes no sense at all.

Are you telling me that if you were in, say, China and you heard a Chinese national randomly make a dumb Mike Hunt or Jack Mehoff joke, you'd think they were doing so to demean and bully westerners - even if it wasn't directed at a westerner? That's insane in my book. 

Edited by Hookah Horns

Give Chip Roy credit.  Takes his two minutes on gun violence committed upon Asian Americans recently, and somehow pivots it to public hangings in the South and the evils of the Chinese Communist Party.  

I know he's a cancer survivor but it appears as if his logic and sense of decency are also in remission.  

10 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

The claim that the use of "ho lee fuk" in place of "holy fuck" - when not directed at an asian person - is done to make anyone feel superior makes no sense at all.

Are you telling me that if you were in, say, China and you heard a Chinese national randomly make a dumb Mike Hunt or Jack Mehoff joke, you'd think they were doing so to demean and bully westerners - even if it wasn't directed at a westerner? That's insane in my book. 

That “joke” makes no sense at all absent the context of “derp, this sorta seems like one of those Asian names, but it also sounds like cussin.”  It’s racist AF. 

And why the hell would Chinese be making puns based on how some English names sound like some English vulgarities? 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Xian said:

Ive never heard of calling it chyna. Is this a known slur and im just blissfully ignorant?  

Same.  Completely confused.

58 minutes ago, mdmost said:

t was how the former Moron-in-Chief pronounced China. His white nationalist followers loved it because any chance to make fun of cultural differences is something they enjoy. That's also why Kung Flu and Chinavirus get tons of play. 

But this is exactly right.   I can hear it in my head.  

I thought it might be some obscure something I was missing.  Just idiocy.  

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, speed817 said:

The men who beat Vincent Chin to death also said it wasn't racially motivated. They got off with a $3000 fine and 3 years probation  🤷‍♂️

According to Wiki, it looks they sentenced one guy to 25 years but won an appeal due to a prosecutor coaching witnesses and they introduced doubt.   That wiki article makes everyone seem like an asshole.  

14 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

It is done to belittle Asians generally, so yes, I absolutely believe it is done from a sense of superiority. And if Chinese nationals are making stupid puns in Chinese based on how the think western names sound, I can goddamn guarantee you it is absolutely intended as a sign of disrespect and Chinese superiority. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

That “joke” makes no sense at all absent the context of “derp, this sorta seems like one of those Asian names, but it also sounds like cussin.”  It’s racist AF. 

And why the hell would Chinese be making puns based on how some English names sound like some English vulgarities? 

How the hell does it matter why they would be doing it? People make name puns. 

Would it be racist of the Chinese in my hypothetical? 

Just now, Hookah Horns said:

How the hell does it matter why they would be doing it? People make name puns. 

Would it be racist of the Chinese in my hypothetical? 

I think a better example would be “if Chinese people made jokes about how a string of nonsense syllables that sounds to their ears like a western name also sounded like the Chinese term for donkey scrotum, would that be racist to the Whites? ”

Yes.

And a lot of Han Chinese are racist AF, especially to Uighurs and Vietnamese and other minorities.  So what’s the point here? 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

It is done to belittle Asians generally, so yes, I absolutely believe it is done from a sense of superiority. And if Chinese nationals are making stupid puns in Chinese based on how the think western names sound, I can goddamn guarantee you it is absolutely intended as a sign of disrespect and Chinese superiority. 

I'm not sure why you assume the intent is to belittle, though. I know I sure as hell wouldn't feel remotely belittled if I heard a Chinese person make such a comment. 

I think you're assuming the intent is to mock the way Asian names sound. But that's not necessarily the case. 

2 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I think a better example would be “if Chinese people made jokes about how a string of nonsense syllables that sounds to their ears like a western name also sounded like the Chinese term for donkey scrotum, would that be racist to the Whites? ”

Yes.

Fair enough. Agree to disagree, though. 

10 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

I'm not sure why you assume the intent is to belittle, though. I know I sure as hell wouldn't feel remotely belittled if I heard a Chinese person make such a comment. 

I think you're assuming the intent is to mock the way Asian names sound. But that's not necessarily the case. 

Dude, take intent out of it. It is fucking offensive. Just trust me on this one. 

And to clarify, the airline news report where those names came out, the humor wasn't because the names were funny. They weren't. They were stupid and offensive. The humor was because the news report stupidly displaying (saying? I remember the screen, don't know if anyone actually verbalized the names) the names despite it being clear that they were not real. 

Edited by Dahobbs

Just now, Hookah Horns said:

Ok, can you explain why “Ho Lee Fuk” might be funny.  Pretend you are explaining this to someone who knows English curse words but has never heard an East Asian name or heard East Asians speak.  Why is it funny? Because it’s misspelled? 

14 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Ok, can you explain why “Ho Lee Fuk” might be funny.  Pretend you are explaining this to someone who knows English curse words but has never heard an East Asian name or heard East Asians speak.  Why is it funny? Because it’s misspelled? 

I'm not sure why whether it's funny or not matters in this discussion. I'm not defending its value as comedy. But its use largely stems from a local news prank years ago, referenced upthread. 

As an aside, a hookup of mine once jokingly introduced herself as Ivanna Suckuoff when I came over to get a beej. In retrospect I guess this wasn't just a dumb joke, what she was really saying is that Russians are an inferior people. 

Edited by Hookah Horns

14 hours ago, Hookah Horns said:

I empathize with how you feel. But I'm curious about the ho lee fuc thing. Are you referring to people calling you that or otherwise using it with/in regard to you because of your ethnicity - or do you find it offensive in general?

I ask because it's something I sometimes type instead of holy fuck (because I found the local news prank that popularized it hilarious). It didn't occur to me that it's offensive to asians in the abstract. To me, it's just one of many childishly amusing name puns. Like Jack Mehoff or Mike Hunt. 

If so, I'll have to retire it. 

So, to get this clear, you wanted to hear what Asian people thought on the topic and were willing to retire it. Several Asian people told you, and now it’s “nope, gonna double down.” 

Look, I get this. I’ve watched John Hughes movies, too and liked them. A lot of people thought the prank was funny. No one wants to think about themselves as someone who laughs at racist shit. No one likes to think of movies they enjoyed as being racist.

Its OK to move on. It’s OK to admit, “that was some racist shit we used to think was funny. Glad that’s not coming out of Hollywood anymore.”

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Hook 'Em 5

50 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Its OK to move on. It’s OK to admit, “that was some racist shit we used to think was funny. Glad that’s not coming out of Hollywood anymore.”

Watching Sixteen Candles with our daughter.....and as they introduce the character's name, and the "gong" sound every time he appears....yeah, that was awkward.  "So, you see....back in the 80s, shit was still pretty insensitive, and we really didn't realize it.  We laughed at this at the time, like all of our peers, and now we find it as mortifying as you do.  It's a good example of how times change."

We have had a similar experience with probably over half of the "man, we loved this movie when we were your age!" movies we've shown our kids.  And I really thought we were kind of enlightened folks back then.  Whoops.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Watching Sixteen Candles with our daughter.....and as they introduce the character's name, and the "gong" sound every time he appears....yeah, that was awkward.  "So, you see....back in the 80s, shit was still pretty insensitive, and we really didn't realize it.  We laughed at this at the time, like all of our peers, and now we find it as mortifying as you do.  It's a good example of how times change."

We have had a similar experience with probably over half of the "man, we loved this movie when we were your age!" movies we've shown our kids.  And I really thought we were kind of enlightened folks back then.  Whoops.

wait till yall watch crocodile dundee. ooooffff

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, and it’s easy to do when it’s something that doesn’t resonate with you like a movie from your younger years, or a “prank” you laughed at.  I think most people born after 1960 have no problem realizing that Mickey Rooney with taped eyelids and fake buck teeth in Breakfast at Tiffany’s is racist AF. Just like my parents had to figure out that some shit they thought was cool won’t fly anymore, I gotta expect to do the same.  

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Shit mine are all still too young to even know what racism is. They aren’t color blind, but they don’t know what that it means anything.   Anyhow, jumped in one of the community lease trucks awhile back and “If that ain’t country” was on the radio.  Hell I had just about forgotten about the “dirty” version because they play the clean one on the radio.    So he sang right thru the N bomb and right as it played, it was slow motion “oooooohhhhhh shiiiiiiit” from me.  Not knowing that word exists, it never even phased them.  Goddamn I’m so lucky wife wasn’t with me.  Oof.  

ETA:  when I literally said ooohhh shit the oldest thought I had dropped my beer. So had a bit of a cover. 

Edited by fattyflattie

2 hours ago, Hookah Horns said:

That’s because you’re white and from America.

Its obviously to mock how asian names sound. What are you even talking about?

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Shit mine are all still too young to even know what racism is. They aren’t color blind, but they don’t know what that it means anything.   Anyhow, jumped in one of the community lease trucks awhile back and “If that ain’t country” was on the radio.  Hell I had just about forgotten about the “dirty” version because they play the clean one on the radio.    So he sang right thru the N bomb and right as it played, it was slow motion “oooooohhhhhh shiiiiiiit” from me.  Not knowing that word exists, it never even phased them.  Goddamn I’m so lucky wife wasn’t with me.  Oof.  

ETA:  when I literally said ooohhh shit the oldest thought I had dropped my beer. So had a bit of a cover. 

David Allen Coe, to be fair, had an ironclad explanation for why that wasn’t racist.  He heard people saying it all the time when he was a kid, and it really puts an image in your head! Also, he went to American prison, where as we all know, color doesn’t exist. 

http://swampland.com/articles/view/title:david_allan_coe

In my new DVD I tell a story in there that there are certain things that I grew up with all my life hearing, “lazy as a Mexican,” “stingy as a Jew,” . . . It’s stereotype stuff that you hear growing up that immediately puts a picture in your head. Being in prison for 20 something years, when I first got out I didn’t even know I was white

• Pancho changed the title to Active shooter thread