Active shooter thread

Hugo Stiglitz

On 3/29/2021 at 1:48 PM, GRHorn said:

But what of the 3rd one, Lobo?

Easy. You can want/need a police system while still holding them accountable for their actions and ensuring they are providing the service that they were created for in a non-discriminatory way (you know, the whole "defund the police" thing). At the same time, understanding that some of their militarization and paranoia of the populace is due to the fear of being shot by that highly armed populace. A populace where just about anyone can buy a gun designed for military uses.

So, as a left leaning lib, I would like to see the police be held accountable for their actions, scope down what they are called out for, increase funds for other resources to assist in situations that police are typically called out for and shouldn't be, and also increase regulation so that those who are not responsible enough to own a gun, can't (registrations, forced gun safety courses, etc). 

31 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Our inaction regarding these recurring mass shootings tells the world that we value guns more than people. 

It's not just guns, and only addressing the gun issue will be horribly inadequate. Our whole mythology is solving problems by killing the bad guys. Everyone a Travis Bickle showing up as the real rain to clean the filth down the sewers.

We don't care about mental illness treatment. Just don't give nutty Jerry a gun, and everything is Jake.

It's so ingrained that the discussion comes down to gun ownership because panicking Clint Eastwood wannabees can't let go of their adolescent insecurity and people desiring change only think in terms of the tools used. 

I think we get stuck in this single line of argument because we're so locked into a mythology that an easy solution is the killing stroke or shot. Nobody want to look deeply into themselves and God help anyone raising issues with American Values. Egads, he want's to turn us all into fags. Not that there's anything wrong with that but we all that there is something wrong with that, amirite?

Nervous gun owners, nobody proposes taking all the guns.

Concerned citizens (including many gun owners), broaden your vision.

spacer.png

The beast is just resting up. Good luck to us all.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

It's not just guns, and only addressing the gun issue will be horribly inadequate. Our whole mythology is solving problems by killing the bad guys. Everyone a Travis Bickle showing up as the real rain to clean the filth down the sewers.

We don't care about mental illness treatment. Just don't give nutty Jerry a gun, and everything is Jake.

It's so ingrained that the discussion comes down to gun ownership because panicking Clint Eastwood wannabees can't let go of their adolescent insecurity and people desiring change only think in terms of the tools used. 

I think we get stuck in this single line of argument because we're so locked into a mythology that an easy solution is the killing stroke or shot. Nobody want to look deeply into themselves and God help anyone raising issues with American Values. Egads, he want's to turn us all into fags. Not that there's anything wrong with that but we all that there is something wrong with that, amirite?

Nervous gun owners, nobody proposes taking all the guns.

Concerned citizens (including many gun owners), broaden your vision.

spacer.png

The beast is just resting up. Good luck to us all.

The 70s was the high water mark of Hollywood because it told the truth. Taxi driver was a great example of that. Movie in the 80s were mostly crap and although movies were great in the early 90s, it had a varnished sheen to it that tended to gloss over things. 

• Like 1

Just now, hayden_horn said:

cnn reporting that the suspect rammed their car into two capitol police. nothing yet about shooting.

Yep.  What I saw was that USCPS was responding to a report of a shooting, and then were rammed by a car.  Both officers and driver taken to hospital.

15 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

I did, no stickers. Looked like a rental.

Odds:

1/2 Qanon nut

2/1 Lobo

5/1 Brisket with a false flag op

Wait, why am I on the odds chart?  

"Look, I'm not paying $8/gallon.  I filled it up before I headed back here to the lot.  Not my fault the gas tank was shot open in a Capitol insurrection attempt.  Also, that blood on the bumper was there yesterday when I rented it." 

3 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

I’m guessing he didn’t bother with the insurance.

You're not wrong.

I mean, I'm at my work desk right now and did not attack the Capitol today.  Also, I am not a cat.

But you're not wrong about the fact that I ALWAYS decline the extra coverage.  Except for that one time I had to drive the rental from Syracuse to Watertown in a heavy snow to take a deposition.  I checked all the fucking boxes, so if I careened off the road into tree, I could just get out and leave the keys in it and it was Avis's problem.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

You're not wrong.

I mean, I'm at my work desk right now and did not attack the Capitol today.  Also, I am not a cat.

But you're not wrong about the fact that I ALWAYS decline the extra coverage.  Except for that one time I had to drive the rental from Syracuse to Watertown in a heavy snow to take a deposition.  I checked all the fucking boxes, so if I careened off the road into tree, I could just get out and leave the keys in it and it was Avis's problem.

Not sure why they even go through the spiel anymore.  Credit cards cover all that shit.

16 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

One of the Capitol Hill Police officers has died.

Probably got hugged and kissed too hard.  I hear that happens.

Also, when the reporting revealed that USCPS cops transported him on their own in one of their cars right away....that didn't bode well.  If you decide "I'm not waiting on EMS, we're going now," shit is bad.  Bad shit.

Edited by Brisketexan

2 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

A lot of Nation of Islam stuff on the page.  

Yeah, and one of the Twitter images (partial) says something about "it's been a rough year, I'm now unemployed," that sort of thing.

America....we radicalizing ERRRBODY up in here!

• Pancho changed the title to Active shooter thread