Active shooter thread

Hugo Stiglitz

This is horrible.  Woke up this on CNN.  This happened just a couple blocks from APD HQ?  What kind of weapon was it the shot that many people so quickly?  

57 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Now is not the time to talk about that. 

It IS the time to ask why aren't bouncers armed? Bar patrons? Hell, arm the homeless when we strap wi-fi to their backs. These are all potential good guys with guns who've been overlooked until now.

Actual thoughts and prayers to the trauma ward folks. 

It's very much a bad thing for your body to lose five liters of blood while doctors are trying to figure out where all the blood is coming from. It's even worse when the nurses are pumping unit after unit of blood into you and it just keeps coming back out. 

If you are in or near the city of Austin today, please donate blood.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

It's very much a bad thing for your body to lose five liters of blood while doctors are trying to figure out where all the blood is coming from. It's even worse when the nurses are pumping unit after unit of blood into you and it just keeps coming back out. 
If you are in or near the city of Austin today, please donate blood.
Is there a specific location you'd suggest we go to donate? I haven't checked Google yet.

Question for y'all and would appreciate any advice. 

Quick background: My Trumper mother-in-law has purchased a couple of handguns recently. She's been going to the shooting range with one of her good friends.  She's 69 years old and not in the best physical/mental shape for her age. She occasionally takes our 4 year old son during the week to hang out at her house for a few hours.  My wife and I hate guns. We don't own them, we don't want to be around them, we don't want our son around them.  

What's the best way to approach her saying that we are concerned about guns in her house when our son visits? Our initial thoughts have been that they need to be secured in a safe before he even enters the home.

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Quick background: My Trumper mother-in-law has purchased a couple of handguns recently. She's been going to the shooting range with one of her good friends.  She's 69 years old and not in the best physical/mental shape for her age. She occasionally takes our 4 year old son during the week to hang out at her house for a few hours.  My wife and I hate guns. We don't own them, we don't want to be around them, we don't want our son around them.  

What's the best way to approach her saying that we are concerned about guns in her house when our son visits? Our initial thoughts have been that they need to be secured in a safe before he even enters the home.

It's your kid, whether it is this issue or any other you don't pussyfoot around the family, you tell them what you expect "this is how it's gonna be and if you disagree or we find that you don't comply you can go hang out with somebody else"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I am a gun owner, have been my whole life.

If a child is in the house, all guns are in a locked gun safe. Period. This is non-negotiable.

If she will not do so, your kid will no longer visit.

Yeah, I think we'd even want to go inside the house before him to confirm they are properly secured in a safe. We have no patience for this shit, but prefer to handle it in a respectful manner if possible. 

6 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Yeah, I think we'd even want to go inside the house before him to confirm they are properly secured in a safe. We have no patience for this shit, but prefer to handle it in a respectful manner if possible. 

fuck that. it's a simple choice: your son or her guns. if she doesn't like it then she can watch him grow up via zoom

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I've found having kids has finally allowed me to set expectations of my parents like never before.

It works because my parents are madly in love with their grandkids and they are not crazy trumpers.

I've also discovered that the only reason my mother wanted to have kids is so she could have grandkids.  I'm simply a transport for grandkids

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

42 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I am a gun owner, have been my whole life.

If a child is in the house, all guns are in a locked gun safe. Period. This is non-negotiable.

If she will not do so, your kid will no longer visit.

Este. This is what we had to do with my folks. They live out in the country and are empty nesters (obv), so a safe was never really a thing until the grandkids.  Now they have it all put up in a safe. Not a big deal. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Hank, by any chance was your mom on 6th St last night?

3 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Share this story with her:

https://www.10tv.com/amp/article/news/local/4-year-old-boy-fatally-shoots-himself-after-finding-gun-in-galion-home/530-2e3766ed-068b-4a74-afc5-2449a6457d45

Key facts about Americans and Guns:

Roughly half of Americans (53%) favor stricter gun laws, a decline since 2019, according to the April 2021survey. Smaller shares say these laws are about right (32%) or should be less strict (14%). The share of Americans who say gun laws should be stricter has declined from 60% in September 2019. Current opinions are in line with what they were in March 2017.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2021/05/11/key-facts-about-americans-and-guns/

4 hours ago, Post Oak said:

I've found having kids has finally allowed me to set expectations of my parents like never before.

It works because my parents are madly in love with their grandkids and they are not crazy trumpers.

I've also discovered that the only reason my mother wanted to have kids is so she could have grandkids.  I'm simply a transport for grandkids

Truth. My MIL was an alcoholic when we had our kid. We told her she wouldn't have our kid visit or spend the night until she got clean. After 20+ years of pill and alcohol abuse, and countless conversations trying to implore her to seek help, our kid was born and she immediately got clean. Leverage that shit. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Whoa

Editor's note: Police have only released a vague description of the suspected shooter as of Saturday morning. The Austin American-Statesman is not including the description as it is too vague at this time to be useful in identifying the shooter and such publication could be harmful in perpetuating stereotypes. If more detailed information is released, we will update our reporting.

On 6/12/2021 at 7:46 AM, Biff Tannen said:

Probably a slingshot or something. 

Think it was a knife or car that folks are so fond of saying would be used to kill if guns weren't readily available.  

On 6/12/2021 at 11:24 AM, 4th&Five said:

Best country on earth motherfuckers!!!! 

Certainly the safest, or so I'm repeatedly told.

Edited by Mdhorn

1 hour ago, Mdhorn said:

Think it was a knife or car that folks are so fond of saying would be used to kill if guns weren't readily available.  

Certainly the safest, or so I'm repeatedly told.

Had it been a car, chances are the law would allow him to mow down people who may have frightened him.

• Pancho changed the title to Active shooter thread