Colin Kaepernick & NFL Reach Settlement

Vic Mackey

Same here.  Ordinary guy who saw thing he didn't like and made a statement the only way he knew how.  Silly boy bought that "speak truth to power" and "free speech" thing hook, line, and sinker.

So you think that police brutality is backed by the federal government? Why openly disrespect and bad mouth our country when police brutality is a local issue that should be eradicated. Why not organize local protests in cities where this keeps occurring in a regular basis?

Or is he a victim of personal oppression? Is the government oppressing him? In between him obtaining millions of course. Or is it the NFL that is oppressing him? Does he even know what he is protesting or is it a spoiled brat who is no longer in the spotlight and craves attention as much as he does money? I think I know

He certainly has the right to dump on the flag if he wants but NFL owners also have the right to not think he is worth the trouble and I have the right to think he is a POS

• Like 1

yeah, it's because he's black...LOlz.

If JJ Watt did it, we all would have embraced it, right?  It's not about the anthem or misplaced disruption... It's all about skin color.

Such a lame fucking write off of what the guy did/ does.

Edited by slorch

On 2/16/2019 at 10:10 AM, RomaVicta said:

I wonder how empty a person's soul has to be that he/she embraces the belief that any protest is stupid, insincere, and done only for material gain or egotistical attention. Is this kind of person so unwilling to do something for someone else that he/she must project their own character onto others?

After consultation with a soldier patriot, the man kneels instead of sits because he specifically doesn't want to show disrespect for everything the flag stands for. Sadly, he does this in a sea of drunk NFL fans who don't see far beyond their own televisions and who, evidently, aren't the type to read or study a subject before hating it.

Another aspect of the ascendancy of Idiot World. Kapernick's expression is ballyhooed by idiot sports pundits and our idiot president.

giphy.gif

Trump supporters, NFL fans, aggy. One and the same.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 3

2 hours ago, slorch said:

If JJ Watt did it, we all would have embraced it, right?  It's not about the anthem or misplaced disruption... It's all about skin color.

His race is a HUGE part of it.  If you don't see that, then, I don't know what to tell you.

What exactly did he do?  Use his platform as a professional athlete to bring awareness to an issue he felt strongly about?  God forbid.

4 hours ago, slorch said:

If J.J. Watt had done it, white America would have supported it and Fox News would have found a way to portray him as a hero.

2 hours ago, sublime said:

What did he do?

He picked a public occasion to make a public point. And It was a valid point to be made. It was a point that had been made before, and in more muted ways, and few noticed or cared. He was drawing attention. And it came. 

To both you and me. We were his target audience. The unaffected white guy, thinking in stereotypes.

Nah he politicized football , ruining it for several fans who don’t give two shits about his opinions or politics.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

The NFL politicized football by wedding itself to the United States military.

Turns out the military paid for that wedding as advertisement. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/us-defense-department-paid-14-nfl-teams-54m-to-honor-soldiers/

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/pentagon-paid-nfl-displays-patriotism/

so protest that one cop.

The use of force by police in the United States is higher than other free societies and disproportionately impacts minorities.

The breakdowns include:

1) Police recruitment
2) training
3) Investigations of incidents and by whom
4) Laws
5) Legal interpretation
6) Drug laws and no-knock raids
7) Civilian weapon access

There are systemic issues in all branches and levels are government which cause the issue. It’s not like there are a few isolated incidents.

I disagree with the method of the protest, not the focus of the protest.
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

The use of force by police in the United States is higher than other free societies and disproportionately impacts minorities.

The breakdowns include:

1) Police recruitment
2) training
3) Investigations of incidents and by whom
4) Laws
5) Legal interpretation
6) Drug laws and no-knock raids
7) Civilian weapon access

There are systemic issues in all branches and levels are government which cause the issue. It’s not like there are a few isolated incidents.

I disagree with the method of the protest, not the focus of the protest.

Fuck off back to the cloak room

• Like 1

7 hours ago, slorch said:

This isn’t you Slorch.  But there’s certainly a segment of the population that hates uppity blacks.  That’s a fact.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, slorch said:

It fits a clear pattern, doesn't mean its causal of course.

Hardly the first time the NFL was brought into politics though the previous times were modtly the richer, whiter types.

Pete Rozelle, the commissioner of the NFL, and Spike Eckert and Bowie Kuhn, the commissioners of baseball, worked to put their sports on record in support of the Vietnam War, while laboring to silence those in the game who disagreed. 

Thst has always been the lamest excuse.

On 2/15/2019 at 10:40 PM, Valmy77 said:

I would prefer the attention gets focused back on that, yes. Somehow the whole point of his protest got lost in the noise.

Because the focus became what he was doing and whether he had the right to do it, instead of why he was doing it.  He didn't create that misdirection. 

Had people just asked the deeper question "why is he kneeling," or just said "fine, kneel," this may have been lead to a much needed and meaningful discussion on race relations in this country.

On 2/16/2019 at 2:01 PM, irishtexan said:

Btw, this isn’t a First Amendment issue. While I 100% support kap, the NFL owners are not the United States Government.

It is not that cut and dry.  It very well could be a first amendment issue if a private sector employer violates federal laws, as well as various state or local laws designed to protect and/or promote free speech, anti-discrimination, whistle-blowing, and labor conditions (for example).  Additionally, there is the question as to whether those owners and their teams lose that private sector protection when they accept money to build those stadiums from federal, state and local governments, and receive government tax-breaks.  To what extent do they become government actors and stand in those shoes?  It is a sliding scale and clearly the NFL felt at risk or they would have hidden behind it through summary judgment.

Edited by Saint Tacky

1 minute ago, Saint Tacky said:

Because the focus became what he was doing and whether he had the right to do it, instead of why he was doing it.  He didn't create that misdirection. 

Had people just asked "why is he kneeling," or just said "fine, kneel," this may have been lead to a much needed and meaningful discussion on race relations in this country.

It is not that cut and dry.  It very well could be a first amendment issue if a private sector employer violates federal laws, as well as various state or local laws designed to protect and/or promote free speech, anti-discrimination, whistle-blowing, and labor conditions (for example).  Additionally, there is the question as to whether those owners and their teams lose that private sector protection when they accept money to build those stadiums from federal, state and local governments, and receive government tax-breaks.  To what extent do they become government actors and stand in those shoes?  It is a sliding scale and clearly the NFL felt at risk or they would have hidden behind it through summary judgment.

Why would federal, state or local laws protecting free speech shield private sector employees from discipline from their employer? I can see how anti-discrimination and collective bargaining agreement would theoretically come into play in the league's response to his taking a knee. But wouldn't a government's attempt to protect speech of employees of private sector businesses in fact violate the employer's 1st amendment rights? 

Interesting point re: how accepting public funds to build stadiums could impact their status as a "government actor". Seems loose, but it's something to consider. 

9 hours ago, pacman said:

You shouldn't be surprised. 

It's American History 101.

Right or wrong, man of color protests in some fashion and America gets all hot and bothered.

Hmmmm he's half white, though. But yeah, it;'s only because he's black...

I had zero issue with his protests or anyone who did it but now it's obvious it was only about money and attention and using communities to push forward this, yeah fuck him. None of this protesting came until he was washed up and fading. Why not push this forward to rake the NFL over the coals if they claimed they had so damning evidence? Because it was never about that.

24 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Why would federal, state or local laws protecting free speech shield private sector employees from discipline from their employer? I can see how anti-discrimination and collective bargaining agreement would theoretically come into play in the league's response to his taking a knee. But wouldn't a government's attempt to protect speech of employees of private sector businesses in fact violate the employer's 1st amendment rights? 

Interesting point re: how accepting public funds to build stadiums could impact their status as a "government actor". Seems loose, but it's something to consider. 

It's a scale, and there are different categories that have been historically established by federal case law, and the SCOTUS.  The government, by way of example the Justice Department, would examine the alleged transgression and conduct of the employer, the statute or code alleged to have been violated, and it would then boil down to the government deciding whether it had a compelling interest to act against the employer on behalf of the employee and the likelihood of success.  It's been several years since constitutional law was a day-to-day business concern of mine, so I can't say affirmatively where this would fall on that scale, or whether compelling would still be the standard or terminology.  I can say with absolutely certainty that this particular Justice Department would not prosecute the NFL to enforce CK's right to free speech.  

2 hours ago, immamac said:

yeah, if this doesn't get better by page 5 this thread is gonna get moved to CR, it's not that the discussion is bad, it's just not sports related or NFL related at all at this point.

Cloak room is inevitable. If your answer is anything but acknowledgement of his free speech rights, the reasoning can only be cloaky.

1 hour ago, perfectchaos007 said:

He lost my respect when he admitted he doesn’t even vote. 

The guy who is now Oklahoma's governor hadn't voted for 20 years. He won by a lot against the best democrat opponent in a decade, because cloak room.

Edited by 'stache

9 hours ago, slorch said:

You absolutely have your head up your ass if you can't admit that the public reaction to this isn't at least partly due to race.  

This is not to say that any single person (namely, you) criticizing Kaep is racist, but to take the other stance, you'd be claiming that not a single person criticizing him is racist.  

12 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

You absolutely have your head up your ass if you can't admit that the public reaction to this isn't at least partly due to race.  

This is not to say that any single person (namely, you) criticizing Kaep is racist, but to take the other stance, you'd be claiming that not a single person criticizing him is racist.  

Conversely, posters like yourself seem content to write it off as mean ole whitey gettin scared at the uppity negro.

It’s bullshit and condescending as hell.  It ignores the real issues, which is exactlywhatthe race card is played for.

22 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Cloak room is inevitable. If your answer is anything but acknowledgement of his free speech rights, the reasoning can only be cloaky.

There's some tangential stuff that isn't cloaky... but it also isn't interesting. As far as I'm concerned, Phlegm with Baggins and Jar-Jar won the thread. The rest of this has been an exercise in getting exercised.

2 hours ago, slorch said:

It’s bullshit and condescending as hell.  It ignores the real issues, which is exactlywhatthe race card is played for.

The real issue seems to be that not only do you not have any empathy for the real issue that his protest was trying to address, buy you seem intent to bitch and moan about it and play the long suffering martyr for the good fight against minorities doing something about perceived injustice. 

Your protestations are noted.   I wish you continue courage in your brave quest.

(What came first, the race card or slorch's umbrage?)

22 hours ago, Mileslong said:

So you think that police brutality is backed by the federal government? Why openly disrespect and bad mouth our country when police brutality is a local issue that should be eradicated. Why not organize local protests in cities where this keeps occurring in a regular basis?

Or is he a victim of personal oppression? Is the government oppressing him? In between him obtaining millions of course. Or is it the NFL that is oppressing him? Does he even know what he is protesting or is it a spoiled brat who is no longer in the spotlight and craves attention as much as he does money? I think I know

He certainly has the right to dump on the flag if he wants but NFL owners also have the right to not think he is worth the trouble and I have the right to think he is a POS

I don't recall saying any of that.  

5 hours ago, tantric superman said:

The real issue seems to be that not only do you not have any empathy for the real issue that his protest was trying to address, buy you seem intent to bitch and moan about it and play the long suffering martyr for the good fight against minorities doing something about perceived injustice. 

Your protestations are noted.   I wish you continue courage in your brave quest.

I’m not sure there were may people who actually disagreed with his cause. Almost none perhaps (of the sane). There were many who disagreed with his method of protest, completely separate from the cause and took offense to it for whatever personal reason. The police suddenly wasn’t the issue. The issue was ignored. The kneeling and the right to or not do so was the only issue covered. Sadly still is. 

If someone protests child molestation is bad by shitting in your front yard.........you may agree with his cause but you probably disagree with his methods. But if making people uncomfortable and creating division instead of unity is the goal rather than delivering your message, mission accomplish.

Thank goodness he got paid or it was all for nothing (sarcasm)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, tantric superman said:

Again, bullshit.

Who is out there saying blacks should get the shit kicked out of them by police, aside from some sociopathic freaks?

Fucking nobody.

Some old bullshit on Surly as in society..."That guy disagrees with my politics, so he hates me and any human decency!"  In reality, I just think his methods are complete crap and disingenuous as hell. I also disagree that he's guaranteed a job by the people at whom he shook his proverbial fist.   Fucking why?  That's so idiotic!  It's a workplace, not the Mall in Washington on his own time.

Edited by slorch

Wow it seems this thread is identifying some racists among us.
Let's face it.....the NFL paid a shit ton of money to keep information covered up about the collusion.
If you cannot see that you need your eyes checked.

The NFL paid him to go away. It was getting tiresome hearing about it.

I hope he signs a contract for the minimum and then gets fined for every stupid thing he does, like those pig socks, or wearing a fucking Che shirt to a press conference.

He’s a below average qb in a qb driven league. He probably started sitting on the bench because he got his feeling hurt about not starting.

Has anyone ever said anything to Marshawn Lynch about sitting on the bench during the anthem?
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

The NFL paid him to go away. It was getting tiresome hearing about it.

I hope he signs a contract for the minimum and then gets fined for every stupid thing he does, like those pig socks, or wearing a fucking Che shirt to a press conference.

He’s a below average qb in a qb driven league. He probably started sitting on the bench because he got his feeling hurt about not starting.

Has anyone ever said anything to Marshawn Lynch about sitting on the bench during the anthem?

Below average ?

You are an idiot.

He  led his team to a Super Bowl and here are his career stats....

ATT - 1692

COMP - 1011

COMP % - 59.8

YDS PASSING - 12.,271

72 TD'S

30 INT'S

RUSHING ATT - 475

YARD RUSHING - 2300

AVG YDS PER RUSH - 6.1

RUSHING TD'S - 13

69 GAMES PLAYED

58 STARTS

Hardly "below"average.

Try again.

4 minutes ago, sublime said:

And his offensive line declined to one of the worst in the league. So maybe that battered him good. 

That can certainly explain the drop from 2012 to 2013 but overall I'd argue that Kaepernick's decline made the OL look much worse.  Carlos Hyde had nearly the same YPC in 2016 as peak Frank Gore did in 2012 so blocking wasn't an issue there.  Also Blaine Gabbert was a significantly better QB in 2015 than Kaepernick.  Let that sink in...

3 hours ago, slorch said:

Some old bullshit on Surly as in society..."That guy disagrees with my politics, so he hates me and any human decency!" 

slorch, you are a good guy, and my comments about your post are pretty pointed and direct.  If you want to play the victim, which you are doing with gusto, go ahead.   This issue has more layers than a single employee doing something that hurts the brand of single entity.  If you sorund like the guys on facebook/twitte who just post about how no one at NASCAR ever kneels, goddammit, you are doing a good job.