$9.95 worth every penny

futureman

EJ has sold his soul to 7on 7 and trainers. Probably straight up on the payroll. 

247 finally got wise that EJ was compromised professionally,  yes, seems silly when you are talking about recruiting coverage. Ypud think it was just all clicks.

But id bet EJ got put in a position where he had to make a choice for 247 or his new masters, and he went with that 3 stripe life and Bobby booted his ass. 

Just now, NorLa Horns said:

EJ has sold his soul to 7on 7 and trainers. Probably straight up on the payroll. 

247 finally got wise that EJ was compromised professionally,  yes, seems silly when you are talking about recruiting coverage. Ypud think it was just all clicks.

But id bet EJ got put in a position where he had to make a choice for 247 or his new masters, and he went with that 3 stripe life and Bobby booted his ass. 

Some variation on "We're not going to fucking pay for you to go to Denver to write about a Hawaiian 7v7 team, because no one, especially Texas fans, clicks on that shit" wouldn't be shocking.

10 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

Nope 

I get the sense that E.J. is taking a pretty big risk. The 7on7 bubble may eventually burst. But it's seemed for a while that he was never really interested in Texas football or satisfied with covering it, so I guess this serves as his 'out'. Good luck to him.

Just now, satyanash said:

I get the sense that E.J. is taking a pretty big risk. The 7on7 bubble may eventually burst. But it's seemed for a while that he was never really interested in Texas football or satisfied with covering it, so I guess this serves as his 'out'. Good luck to him.

Who reads that stuff? It seems like a very self-contained family-and-friends bubble. Who else besides the kids on Next Level Lahaina or whatever actually give a shit who wins the Denver Pylon 7v7?

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

Similar to aau. As long as shoe companies continue to fund it, it'll remain. 

On 4/18/2019 at 10:33 AM, Machinator said:

Looks like there's something going on with EJ. Bobby Burton says he will make an announcement on Monday.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Board/21/Contents/EJ-after-dark-131305878/

Maybe Chip will have to pull his weight and justify his paycheck.  Whatever they do, dont promote Taylor Estes. She's terrible even if all she does is re-post social media crap

Bobby Burtons message on Mike and EJ:

As of today, Mike Roach will be replacing EJ Holland as our lead recruiting reporter.

Change is largely a good thing.

It may hurt a little at first, but ultimately, it's what's best for all involved.

Mike is highly qualified. He's the only person I offered the job to (or even interviewed) once I had decided to let EJ out of his contract. I'm confident that Mike is the right fit at the right time for this job.

He knows the ins and outs of recruiting, the people, the coaches and the recruits, and he has proven himself as a tireless worker again and again. A lot of times in the past couple of years, Mike has come out of his own pocket for travel to events (something I was unaware of at the time), yet he never, ever told me or even thought to ask me for money. He just wanted to be there so bad that he did it on his own.

That's the type of commitment I'd like to reward.

Mike cares immensely about the work that he produces and the integrity of it. He's truly willing to go the extra mile for the reader and I'll be surprised if you don't get that same feeling from him pretty quickly.

As for EJ, he asked to leave to pursue another opportunity for another publishing group that covers another school. His wife is expected to attend medical school in the Midwest and he would have had to relocate from Texas next year and was rightfully concerned that he couldn't do the job justice from there. EJ's been excellent and we certainly all wish him well. His last day will be this coming Sunday.

So let this be the first day of change.

Today, Mike is already on the road for spring ball at high schools. We hope to add another recruiting reporter on top of Mike by this time next week, too.

Thanks for your continued patronage of the site and the people who work to bring you the inside scoop on your Longhorns.

52 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Well, Roach is replacing EJ. They'll need a new part-timer. Probably some just out of college kid like Chris Hummer used to be for Horns247.

There is a pretty obvious candidate...definitely unemployed and has years of experience...also makes the best ribs this side of the Mississippi! Bobby its time to bring in the Hamm!!!

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Great news for Roach. Wonder whom they'll look to to replace E.J.

Burton is such a dweeb, "only person to interview" unnecessary comment. 

They should add a recruiting person for Houston but they will not. They have so much fat on that staff. Estes, FCB & Howe pretty much have the same team coverage role. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

Well, Roach is replacing EJ. They'll need a new part-timer. Probably some just out of college kid like Chris Hummer used to be for Horns247.

Lol. Chris Hummer is a national reporter now for 247. He’s not unemployed. I can speak with certainty that he won’t become a recruiting reporter.

• Fuck You 1

If anything, the Chris Hummer example is a good example for why Horns 247 would go back to the well there.  Try to run the same play again, because it was successful the first time.

Edited to add: I know this is what Tex was implying.  I'm basically just piling on Beetlejuice at this point.

Edited by Katfid54

It is beyond comprehension that anyone thinks that EJ provided any value whatsoever to recruiting.  Equating frequency of content to value is laughable. 

We will be much better off without that embicile embarrassing Texas athletics going forward. 

40 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

It’s:

1. Legitimately douchey to post how he wasn’t “happy” at 247 after Burton (say what you will about him) wrote a respectful going away message for him.  My opinion would change if EJ had really been screwed over by 247 about something, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.  Respect his decision ... lulz.

2. Funny that Burton’s version was actually more flattering to EJ (“they are relocating because his wife is going to medical school, and he found a great opportunity closer to where they will be living!”) than his own version (“I just wasn’t happy - whatevs - and in case you didn’t notice, I’ve also been mailing it in the last couple of months!”).  And even funnier that EJ apparently wanted to correct the record on that.

I am actually going to miss that ridiculous person.

All of this. EJ’s “announcement” was cringey as hell.