$9.95 worth every penny

futureman

• 4 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

So it's not Wescott manning the BON twitter? I assumed it was, since every third tweet includes some form of fan shaming/blaming. There are two limp dick, self-loathing longhorns at BON now? 

I think Will Curry has it most of the time. Definitely during games.

Not 995er per say but too good not to post...From Lotus Horn in regards to Urban Meyer

"A booster has reached out to his agent.

If and big if, there is a deal to be made it might happen. If it is possible this booster will pay Tom's buy out."

Gotta love a delusional message board "insider"

Wait there more

"This is very real. This particular booster was never a TH fan and wasn’t for his original hire.

Urban is available. Just like the Herman hire, fear of losing the Urban lottery may end up sealing Herman’s fate.

Trust me in this: if a Deal can be made there is no Mack Brown situation. Other boosters who just want new coordinators will jump the Herman ship in a heartbeat for Urban. Right now they think that is fantasy.

They may have their minds changed quickly.

This booster thinks he can “handle” Urban and thinks CDC is the AD that can keep him in check and not allow the “winning is the only thing” attitude to allow more murderers and wife beaters.

I’m not saying it’s happening. I’m saying a booster with the ability to make changes is talking with Urban’s agent.

So they will find out quickly if Urban is “retired” or just waiting for another opportunity."

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

giphy.gif

If you thought that was good...he responds to someone saying that had the same reaction...

"What is his track record at Florida?

He had little to no scandal except for reports he ignored complaints about a player who turned out to be a murderer.

He also had a horrible AD (Foley).

CDC could easily keep Urban in check and the Texas image clean. Urban needs a CDC as much as Texas needs an Urban."

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Not 995er per say but too good not to post...From Lotus Horn in regards to Urban Meyer.    "A booster has reached out to his agent.  If and big if, there is a deal to be made it might happen. If it is possible this booster will pay Tom's buy out.". 

Gotta love a delusional message board "insider"

Yeah, I've read a lot of LotusHorn's comments...  😆

It's not paywalled, so here's thread link...

https://247sports.com/college/texas/board/21/Contents/meyer-138745668/

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

https://247sports.com/college/texas/board/21/Contents/thread-locked-139278693/?page=1

an entire thread of Lotushorn being called fake news about some “inside info” on Herman being fired. Enjoy!
Holy moly. Two reactions to that thread:

1) As a Texas fan, I've only ever participated in hornfans, shaggy, then surly. I've rarely waded into the waters of sites like 247, and after that experience, won't again. Yikes.

2) The only really substantive thing contained in those 14 pages is that some staff changes have already been made, Huff and Carrington are hitting the trail, Tom is staying and Orlando is most likely retained.

I really hope that last point on #2 is wrong. We've seen this over and over during our 10 year stretch of futility where a coordinator clearly needs to go, but we decide to give them one more off-season to do their job well. It never ends well, and this won't either if we go that route.

When everyone on Twitter knows we're giving free plays to Baylor with our alignment and Todd can't figure it out, he's not the guy.

14 hours ago, texifornia said:

Looch just got dunked on by Dylan fucking Haines of all people

Cool Story Bro:  He sold my parent's house a couple of years back.  My mom chose him as their realtor because, "He's young and I felt sorry for him.  I wanted to help him out."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:

But didn't you hear? The site wars were over 10 years ago; just ask the Rotund One.

I know you're kidding, but in business, the one who thinks they won 10 years ago has already lost, which makes that even funnier.

Edited by OnAComputer

From The Athletic

Texas Takeaways: On what Tom Herman’s looking for in his all-important coordinator hires

By Kaelen Jones Dec 13, 2019comment-icon.png 10 save-icon.png

SAN ANTONIO — As Tom Herman concludes his third season, the coach understands Texas’ turnaround must be swift. Herman’s next steps will prove crucial to determining whether a complete program restoration will be possible in 2020. At the same time, Herman, while signing Valero Alamo Bowl footballs Thursday at a promotional event at The Club at Sonterra, spoke of being methodical in filling key staff positions.

It’s been eleven days since Texas fired defensive coordinator Todd Orlando and reassigned offensive coordinator Tim Beck — the most important of several changes.

“I’ve talked to numerous candidates on both sides of the ball,” Herman said. “Certainly in no hurry. Our signing class is great, and (we) want to finish that strong here in the next few days and then dive into finalizing some things with that (coordinators) search after the first priority, which is recruiting. But I’ve talked to some really good candidates, and it’s headed in the right direction.”

On Wednesday, UT can begin officially penning players to its 2020 class during the early signing period. Herman said he’s in no rush to announce new coordinators by then, and that he has yet to offer any candidates a contract. Perhaps they will be in place before the Longhorns’ bowl matchup on New Year’s Eve with No. 11 Utah.

“When it happens,” Herman said, “it happens.”

Herman appears to be moving through his search with precision and patience. Perhaps he’s waiting on potential candidates, such as USC’s Graham Harrell, to decide. Meanwhile, Longhorns fans have nearly lost patience with the state of the program.

Criteria for the new coordinators

Herman has three key principles in his coaching manual. First, coaches must be able to identify talent and prove themselves as elite recruiters. Secondly, they must develop their unit. Then, “a distant third,” is schematic acumen.

Beck, reassigned as the Longhorns quarterbacks coach through at least the Alamo Bowl, has proven himself in each of the first two categories. He’s been a key figure in UT’s recruiting efforts, and Herman has credited him for the development of junior quarterback Sam Ehlinger.

Offensively, Herman said he’s looking for someone who can take over the play calling so he can phase into a more CEO-type role in overseeing the staff and players.

“I felt like in the three years here that we’ve gotten better every year offensively,” Herman said. “But in order to do that, I needed to get more and more involved, and I think, quite honestly, it took me away from some things that were needed on a holistic level and things that I’m very good at.

“Having to spend that much time preparing an offensive game plan every week took and has taken too much of my time and energy in order to do the things necessary as a head coach, to do them at an elite level like I’ve been able to in the past.”

Still, Herman, who comes from a power-spread offensive background, said his input will still be felt on the offense, regardless of who’s hired.

Herman’s decision to fire Orlando, however, made sense considering each of the first two principles mentioned. Orlando hadn’t been as involved along the recruiting trail and the defense didn’t develop much over the course of the 2019 season. Herman was a bit more blunt about the decision when asked why he made the move.

“We were in the 90s and 100s of a lot of statistical categories,” Herman said. “And that’s certainly not championship-level defense and it’s not Texas-standard defense.”

UT finished 101st in total defense, 96th in yards per play allowed, and 126th in pass defense. Herman mentioned the defense wasn’t all that more encouraging during the 2018 season, ranking 60th in total defense, 55th in yards per play allowed and 110th in pass defense.

So what is Herman looking for in a new defensive coordinator? He prefers someone who can get his players to play fundamentally sound, swarm to the football and generate a better pass rush without needing to blitz secondary members so often.

Additionally, he’s looking for other key traits.

“I felt like we needed some freshness,” Herman said. “We needed some development and we needed to simplify a little bit so that the really good players that we recruited can play fast and without thinking.”

About the early signing period

Entering Thursday, the Longhorns boasted the No. 6 recruiting class in the country (No. 1 in Big 12), according to 247Sports. The group includes several highly regarded prospects, including five-star running back Bijan Robinson (Tucson Salpointe Catholic/Ariz.), four-star quarterback Hudson Card (Austin Lake Travis/Texas) and four-star defensive lineman Vernon Broughton (Houston Cypress Ridge/Texas).

In the wake of the staff shakeup, UT lost one recruit in four-star defensive lineman Van Fillinger (Draper Corner Canyon/Utah). But an overwhelming majority of the players affirmed their commitment.

Herman said his message to recruits has been “a much simpler discussion” than some likely imagine.

“Assistant coaches want to be coordinators, and coordinators want to be head coaches,” Herman said. “To think that you’re going to play for the same position coach and/or coordinator for your entire career, that’s pretty rare.

“The trust has to be in myself as the leader of the organization, the strength of the staff.”

The bigger question remains whether UT can maximize the wealth of talent it’s stockpiling. Herman thinks that, if players’ skills are fully maximized, scheme shouldn’t hamper the team’s success.

“We believe if you recruit at an elite level and you develop on and off the field at an elite level,” he said, “then the scheme — I don’t want to say it’s irrelevant, but it’s a very distant priority.”

Seniors expect to play in Alamo Bowl

Senior wideout Collin Johnson is still nursing a hamstring injury he aggravated Nov. 9 against Kansas State. Herman said he is hopeful that Johnson can practice next week, adding that Johnson hasn’t given Herman any indication he won’t participate in the Alamo Bowl if healthy.

Johnson would be among several of the Longhorns top senior players who decide to play their final collegiate contest. Receiver Devin Duvernay, defensive back Brandon Jones and defensive lineman Malcolm Roach each previously said they intended on playing in UT’s bowl game, too.

“As coaches, we certainly understand that some of these players have to make decisions that they feel are right for their future,” Herman said. “Once that decision is made, we support them.”

Johnson, Jones and Duvernay are considered to be potential picks in the 2020 NFL Draft. Johnson (6-foot-6, 220 pounds) opened the year as the top-rated senior receiver by Dane Brugler, The Athletic’s draft expert. Jones (6-0, 205 pounds) is ranked as Brugler’s No. 7 safety prospect heading into the postseason. Brugler has indicated Duvernay (5-11, 210 pounds), who finished the regular season as the nation’s leader in receptions (103) and fourth in yards (1,294), projects between the third and fifth rounds.

“We have always advised our guys to play in the bowl game,” Herman said. “One, to be able to travel and experience the bowl game. Two, to prove to the NFL how good a team player you are.”

While the senior players are expected to participate in the postseason, freshman running back Jordan Whittington’s season has come to an end. On Thursday morning, Whittington posted photos on his Instagram story sharing that he completed surgery in New York. Whittington was advised to undergo a follow-up surgery to alleviate some of the swelling and scar tissue from an operation he underwent for a sports hernia in September.

Whittington, a highly touted five-star recruit out of Cuero (Texas) High, appeared in one game as a true freshman. He made two receptions for 17 yards in the Longhorns season opener against Louisiana Tech, but never returned to full health to make an impact in 2019.

Edited by Sabalo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...