$9.95 worth every penny

futureman

1 hour ago, CurlyDumps said:

Shoney's

What is now a La Tapatia on 183 used to be a Shoney's and 6th grade Ricky GOT DOWN there. The funny thing about the Shoney's/Golden Corral/Sirloin Stockade's of the world is when they're gone, no one misses them. Nostalgia? Maybe. Real sadness? None. 

Also, Taco Bell is fucking terrible and I'll not back off that statement.

My wife loves Chipotle, but it's pretty bland food imo. Like Subway, every combination of ingredients tastes exactly the same. If you like that taste, you like Chipotle. 

Subway is the worst offender on the list. It has been determined in Ireland that their bread is in fact not bread. In California there's a CA lawsuit alleging their tuna is actually not tuna and is yet unidentifiable by a food lab. So, like, I get improper food handling, but creating things for consumption that maybe shouldn't be consumed feels like an automatic bottom tier ranking. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, texifornia said:

Damn, really? I ate too many of those in high school - it was the big after-surf move at the Pacifica Taco Bell.

taco5.0.0.jpg

I guess any remotely recent one I've eaten has been the inferior chalupa supreme.

Depending on what time you go there, it's either all families or stoners.

What is now a La Tapatia on 183 used to be a Shoney's and 6th grade Ricky GOT DOWN there. The funny thing about the Shoney's/Golden Corral/Sirloin Stockade's of the world is when they're gone, no one misses them. Nostalgia? Maybe. Real sadness? None. 
My wife loves Chipotle, but it's pretty bland food imo. Like Subway, every combination of ingredients tastes exactly the same. If you like that taste, you like Chipotle. 
Subway is the worst offender on the list. It has been determined in Ireland that their bread is in fact not bread. In California there's a CA lawsuit alleging their tuna is actually not tuna and is yet unidentifiable by a food lab. So, like, I get improper food handling, but creating things for consumption that maybe shouldn't be consumed feels like an automatic bottom tier ranking. 
Sirloin Stockade on North Lamar used to be where we had team dinners before our football games. Used to get the chicken fried steak with the salad and puke the lettuce up coming out of half time. I can't tell you how many times that became a regular thing. I kinda miss that I can't gorge and give two fucks like I remember of our team dinners at the Cow.
  • Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

This is quite the ill-informed take. Subway is garbage, but not for either of the reasons you list.

1. Their bread doesn't qualify for the bread tax break because it has too much added sugar (we'll get to that below). It still has half the sugar that McDonald's hamburger bun has. 

2. The tuna fish lawsuit is hilariously frivolous. C'mon man. Citing a publicity stunt lawsuit with no merits?

They entered the market as a "healthy" alternative to fast food burgers, but really just have very cheap processed deli meats loaded with fat and sodium, high sugar breads, and fatty/sugary dressings. On top of all that, the cheap lunchmeats and cheap veggies are pretty bland. The bread is usually fresh and tastes delicious (due to all the sugar probably).

The availability of salads/veggies makes it at least possible to get something healthy-ish to eat there. If you're not going to at least try to eat healthy at Subway, then why bother eat there at all? But if you are trying to eat healthy you're better off finding a local salad or sandwich joint with better quality, healthier choices, and tastier ingredients.

Chipotle's food is way higher quality than Subway, and tastes way better too. Could it be better flavored/more authentic ? Sure. But it's fast food marketed to the masses. No need to stray too far into the exotic spices. Yeah, they completely fucked up the food safety at multiple stores, but hopefully they learned their lesson (hah, yeah right).  I still eat Blue Bell, and their A/C leaked listeria directly into the giant cauldrons of Homemade Vanilla, in front of all the corporate food inspectors. It wasn't just forcing Rosa to come in while she's sick, so she could sneeze her norovirus into the cliantro-lime rice.

• Hook 'Em 3

21 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I always enjoy it when someone runs down Taco Bell. Challenge them on it even a bit and then they either readily admit that they secretly also crave it sometimes, or that their mother never let them eat anything but broccoli and salad as a child. 

I don't enjoy their new menu. So many things that I used to order are not available. 

20 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Ordered taco bell mid podcast last night. Zero regrets. My go to is #7 (quesadilla with crunchy taco) plus a quesorito and nacho fries

Calm down Geoff. :)

Freebirds is a billion times better based on queso alone

Fax, but regardless of the queso debate

20 hours ago, Fud said:

I'm not going to an American burrito joint for the queso. Freebirds has more options, Chipotle tastes better 

Do you even dip your burrito in queso bro?

19 hours ago, Scholz said:

I dissent.  The last 2 times I got queso from Freebirds it had approximately 2 lbs of salt/oz.  It was inedible.  Meanwhile Chipotle has that delicious queso blanco.  Fight me.

Scholz, proud sponsor of Chipotle! Next you'll tell us how great the cauliflower rice is :)

7 hours ago, Hornlover said:

Dude, prepare to have your mind blown, but a boneless wing is the exact same fucking thing as a chicken strip.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Hornlover said:

1. Their bread doesn't qualify for the bread tax break because it has too much added sugar (we'll get to that below). It still has half the sugar that McDonald's hamburger bun has. 

This is whataboutism. That their bread has enough sugar in it to deem it legally cake in Ireland stands on it's own. If you would like to posit that McDonalds burger buns are also cake, I would agree.

5 hours ago, Hornlover said:

2. The tuna fish lawsuit is hilariously frivolous. C'mon man. Citing a publicity stunt lawsuit with no merits?

That lawsuit is funny to me. Is it frivolous? Maybe, but we have no idea. I'm no lab tech, and those that are can correct me, but I don't believe you can send something to a food lab with the instructions to "find out what this is". It's a process of exclusion. Either way, it fit my argument so I used it. Due process and all that. 

The point with these, something you say later on, is for a "healthy alternative" to fast food to be subject to litigation regarding whether or not what they serve is actually food are their most egregious examples of consumer manipulation. It is not the only example, and I agree with the rest of what you said. 

How much did chipotle pay you for this post? I had their queso once and that was more than enough for me. Tastes like the bottom of the crockpot after its been sitting out for 7-8 hours, I never knew queso could be crunchy until I ate chipotle queso

depending on when you had it it was shitty then they re-did it.

had it on menu as a "limited time item" and got shit all over for it

then brought it back a while later with the current version thats absolutely ok

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Hornlover said:

This is quite the ill-informed take. Subway is garbage, but not for either of the reasons you list.

They entered the market as a "healthy" alternative to fast food burgers, but really just have very cheap processed deli meats loaded with fat and sodium, high sugar breads, and fatty/sugary dressings. On top of all that, the cheap lunchmeats and cheap veggies are pretty bland. The bread is usually fresh and tastes delicious (due to all the sugar probably).

The availability of salads/veggies makes it at least possible to get something healthy-ish to eat there. If you're not going to at least try to eat healthy at Subway, then why bother eat there at all? But if you are trying to eat healthy you're better off finding a local salad or sandwich joint with better quality, healthier choices, and tastier ingredients.

Chipotle's food is way higher quality than Subway, and tastes way better too. Could it be better flavored/more authentic ? Sure. But it's fast food marketed to the masses. No need to stray too far into the exotic spices. Yeah, they completely fucked up the food safety at multiple stores, but hopefully they learned their lesson (hah, yeah right).  I still eat Blue Bell, and their A/C leaked listeria directly into the giant cauldrons of Homemade Vanilla, in front of all the corporate food inspectors. It wasn't just forcing Rosa to come in while she's sick, so she could sneeze her norovirus into the cliantro-lime rice.

I think chipotle's problem isn't their food handling, it's their trying to get their vegetables/spinach from small organic/non-gmo farmers which are more likely to not irradiate their produce properly or at all. 

17 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

What did Bonanza ever do to you to ignore them so blatantly?

21 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Rankings of those places, all of which my dad called “The Feedbag” except for Golden Corral which was “The Happy Camper.”

1. Bonanza

2. Sirloin Stockade

3. Shoney’s

96. Golden Corral 

• 2 weeks later...

Kevin Ryan: Some site news on a Friday morning

We at 247Sports are very excited to announce that our Texas crew - Chip Brown, Taylor Estes, Nick Harris, Jeff Howe and Mike Roach - will be together on our network for the foreseeable future. The sight has been on an absolutely incredible run since the end of 2020, and we plan to continue to carry that momentum through 2021 and beyond. Several of them heard from other outlets over the last few months, but I am happy to say the team remains intact and they are ready to continue providing you with all the news/scoop/insight/features they can in the Texas market.

- Nick Harris was a part-timer for us in the past, but I'd like to congratulate Nick on earning a promotion and landing a full-time position with us. He will help Mike with football recruiting coverage and will continue to be the lead on basketball recruiting.

- Mike has signed a multi-year agreement and will still focus primarily on recruiting, but he will also help out with some team coverage as well. His contacts and relationships have been incredibly valuable. Don't worry - he'll still be at high school games every Friday night.

- Taylor and Jeff have also signed multi-year agreements to stay with 247Sports/ViacomCBS, and we are thrilled to have them. They will continue to provide outstanding team coverage, offer their insights and communicate with you on the board on a regular basis. Jeff is a well-respected veteran in the market and his voice is one that resonates with Longhorns fans. Taylor is a very dedicated team player who serves as the point guard for the team. She directs the traffic and makes sure we are all running the same play.

- Chip is already locked up for some time, but rest assured we have every intention of extending his deal long before his current expiration date. The things he brings to the site like the Morning Brew, The Insider and other content are valued by us and I hope they are valued by you as well. In addition, we are in the process of searching for a part-time contributor(s) to enhance our coverage during the upcoming football season.

Please join me in congratulating the team on jobs well done, and I hope you are all as excited about the future growth of the site as we are at 247Sports.

12 minutes ago, satyanash said:

We at 247Sports are very excited to announce that our Texas crew - Chip Brown, Taylor Estes, Nick Harris, Jeff Howe and Mike Roach - will be together on our network for the foreseeable future. The sight has been on an absolutely incredible run since the end of 2020, and we plan to continue to carry that momentum through 2021 and beyond. Several of them heard from other outlets over the last few months, but I am happy to say the team remains intact and they are ready to continue providing you with all the news/scoop/insight/features they can in the Texas market.

ugh

• Haha 5

43 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Shocked Jeff Howe signed an extension. I thought for sure Burton would poach him for inside texas

I'm not sure what Howe brings that isn't already covered by other staff members at IT, and I assume he's moderately expensive for whatever that field pays. Additionally, mroe employees means less profit to share. 

9 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Burton likes him but he would have been an odd fit at IT.. he just isn't snarky enough

I doubt this factors into burton's thinking. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I went glamping this summer as part of a 3 week road trip. Glamped at the gates of Zion National Park with my wife and 4 little ones. It was terrific, but yeah, no one should be confusing that with camping. It was basically like staying in a cabin. Would recommend though.
Glamping is about all I'll consider these days...and no it's not due to old fartiness, I got all the bugs and no ac/heat camping out of my system years ago. There is no shame in sleeping cool when it's hot or warm when it's cold..and having a real throne to pontificate upon.

A gem of an update from Bobby Burton.

Spoiler

Recruiting in the pandemic is, like everything else in the pandemic, completely off-schedule.

While Texas and many other schools across the country have started scheduling official visits for June, the NCAA has still not lifted the dead period. Schools are scheduling the visits in anticipation of the dead period being lifted.

The Horns have done the right thing and prepare the program in case the period is lifted. But there is no guarantee it will be.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Machinator said:

What’s fucking great about this is, having interacted with Holland in his own comfortable setting, he can’t handle anyone questioning him. He acts like he’s earned something, anything. I have zero doubt that his post was serious as he shilled for a trainer and then when he got run over from comments, he went back to the guy and whined about it. Just a pure loser. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, texifornia said:

PG's coach realizing that Roach will do aaaanything for a program that treats him like he's cool has been a consistent feature of the post-Holland era. 

“You mean if I suck Big Boys dick and give him a restaurant recommendation, that will take a year off his life, he will hype my average ass kids up like Grant Tisdale while shitting on a dude like Rondale Moore? Show me where to suck and I’ll tell him where he can get a bucket of nothing but fried chicken skins and ranch milkshakes”

9 hours ago, RGBIII said:

“You mean if I suck Big Boys dick and give him a restaurant recommendation, that will take a year off his life, he will hype my average ass kids up like Grant Tisdale while shitting on a dude like Rondale Moore? Show me where to suck and I’ll tell him where he can get a bucket of nothing but fried chicken skins and ranch milkshakes”

Someone needs to dig up that EJ Holland article from when he went and saw one of Moore's high school games and decided he was nothing special.

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Someone needs to dig up that EJ Holland article from when he went and saw one of Moore's high school games and decided he was nothing special.

It wasn’t just the article, that fails to tell the whole story. Equally important was after the article when he got questioned by the members of his board, passive aggressively and flat out overtly calling them stupid know-nothings. He then went on to mention in other articles about different players how they’re were more explosive than Moore. And of course suck off waddle. He spent a year being butt-hurt. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 2

44 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

-Holland eventually confessed that he was only passing time dealing with Internet sports idiots so he could get his serious career as a novelist going.

I have a vague memory of EJ saying something like this on a podcast when he was first hired, except he was saying he was going to be an astrophysicist or something like that and he said it with the same air of superiority you referenced.  It always made me laugh considering he’s not even smart enough to be good at one of the lowest common denominator jobs around.

But I do fully expect him to retire from being a 995er once his wife starts practicing as a doctor and he’ll be close to finishing his sci fi space novel for the next 30 years. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I know I’ve discussed it before, but I can’t help myself. When SLX took Roach and Holland to dinner, he had a few key takeaways in the aftermath:

-He gave them any option they wanted for a dining experience and said he’d pay for it. They chose either Applebee’s or TGIF.

you should post this every time EJ comes up because it makes me laugh every fucking time. Every aspect of it is chefskiss. 

• Hook 'Em 1