$9.95 worth every penny

futureman

[mention=397]immamac[/mention] and I are getting committed to getting the Surly Horns pod back on track now with at least weekly podcasts. May have a different structure of sorts but either way we are making it happen

I can pretty much talk about longhorns all day, just lmk if you want some hot takes with no poor flakes

Hummer: How real is NIL? Anonymous recruits in college football's 2024 class dish on collectives, contracts and more 

Interesting concrete numbers, if you're looking for Texas guys, Wingo, Owens, and Kern were our signees at this game

SAN ANTONIO — How much do incoming recruits earn from name, image and likeness (NIL) deals? It’s among the most speculated topics in college football, with rumors far outpacing actual information and context. With more than 100 of the nation’s best players gathered in San Antonio earlier this year for the All-American Bowl, 247Sports asked more than two-dozen blue-chip recruits about a variety of topics, including the engine of the recent disruption in the sport: Money and how it’s distributed.

“Everybody likes money, but it’s kind of the money?” a top-100 recruit said about what he’d change in college football. “I think people don’t play for the right thing in college football no more because they’re getting paid almost the same amount as NFL players, so it’s kind of the money.

“But I like money, so I ain’t going to say that.”

Recruits did say a lot about money in their conversations with 247Sports. To allow players to speak freely, 247Sports granted them anonymity to discuss the details of their contracts and how the NIL process works in college football recruiting. It’s an issue that’s largely been shrouded in secrecy given the fact that NIL contracts are not publicly disclosed — collectives are private entities — and are not available through public record requests, like coaching contracts are, at public schools.

Fifteen four- and five-star recruits disclosed to 247Sports either exactly what they’ll receive or around what they’ll earn at their school of choice. The values run the gambit from a few thousand a month to around a million a year.

Recruit 1: $350,000 a year

Recruit 2: $400,000 a year

Recruit 3: $120,000 a year

Recruit 4: $180,000 a year

Recruit 5: $120,000 a year

Recruit 6: $72,000 a year

Recruit 7: $75,000 a year

Recruit 8: $400,000 a year

Recruit 9: Around $1 million a year

Recruit 10: A few thousand dollars a month

Recruit 11: Between $600,000 and $800,000 a year

Recruit 12: Low-to-mid-six figures a year

Recruit 13: Around $200,000 a year

Recruit 14: $500,000 a year

Recruit 15: Around $150,000 a year

That’s how much blue-chip recruits can make — every player surveyed held a 91 rating or better in the 2024 Top247. Here’s what they had to say about how NIL works.

HOW THE CONTRACTS WORK

NIL agreements can vary greatly from school to school and collective to collective, but there were some commonalities in the responses when 247Sports asked players how their deals were structured.

Usually, the first year of a contract is guaranteed at a certain number. But there are often incentives for players to raise their NIL payments based on how they play. Conversely, a few players mentioned their NIL payments could go down if they don’t perform well. Beyond cash, players often also receive additional incentives like a leased vehicle.

“The way I have it, the first two years are 400 guaranteed, and after my sophomore year I can ask to renegotiate based on how I play,” Recruit 2 said.

“If you produce, you get bonuses,” Recruit 12 said. “Some schools do it differently, but that’s how ours does it.”

As for what players must do to earn the money, responses varied from appearing at charity events and social media posts to just being on the team.

“It’s a collective thing,” Recruit 6 said. “Just be part of the team, everybody gets it.”

Recruit 2 said that there were no off-field requirements tied to his pay.

“I think it’s just from the collective,” he said.

There are some schools, even top-25 programs, that do not aggressively hand out NIL dollars. One elite recruit who signed with an annual conference title contender said that it’s on the players to seek out potential deals.

They’re not handed to them as an incentive to enroll.

“We get NIL,” one top-100 player said. “We have to earn it, though. He’s not going to point us to people and say, ‘Oh, give him an NIL deal.’ They have to do their research on us to come give us NIL.”

As for what happens if a player chooses to enter the transfer portal — a commonality in this era — most recruits told 247Sports that their contracts would be void if they opted to leave.

MYTHS ABOUT NIL

Thirteen million dollars for a transfer portal class, $30 million for a recruiting class — you hear it all in the college football rumor mill, where posters like Sliced Bread can lead to national headlines.

But what’s real with NIL numbers and what isn’t?

You can go ahead and trash any thoughts that most recruits are getting paid millions annually to attend a school.

“People get paid to play,” Recruit 14 said. “But the numbers that you be hearing are outrageous. … People are just lying and pushing it past what it is.”

This isn’t to say that the numbers won’t approach a million a year for special players at specific positions.

Recruit 14 told 247Sports that he and several other All-American Bowl players discussed how some quarterbacks could command a million dollars a year on the open market.

As for the valuations made by outsiders, players had mixed responses about how accurate those are.

Multiple blue-chip recruits told 247Sports that the numbers they see are spot-on while others, like Recruit 1, said that his were way off.

“I’d say 50-50,” Recruit 6 said. “Speculation sounds better than whatever actually happens.”

There’s also an assumption out there that players always take the most money. But that isn’t always the case, recruits insisted. A pair of five-star recruits told 247Sports that they took less money to attend the school they signed with, which meant losing out on hundreds of thousands of dollars.

NIL is just one part of the equation as players make their decisions. Some will prioritize money. But others will go where they’ll be developed or simply want to be.

“My school wasn’t the school that offered me the most money,” Recruit 3 said. “A lot of schools just threw out money and stuff. But I’m not chasing money. I want to play and perform.”

For as many good things that come from NIL, there are horror stories out there about bad contracts from collectives or marketing agents.

Look no further than former Florida DT Gervon Dexter, who signed a $436,485 NIL deal with a speculative investment capital company in 2022 with the caveat that the company, Big League Advanced Fund, would get 15% of his NFL earning for the next 25 years.

That type of predatory deal, along with collectives not coming through on payments, is something that athletes are leery of.

One top-100 recruit told 247Sports the schools that made him the wariest were those who offered an open checkbook from the start.

“Schools just told me, ‘Give me a number and you can commit at that number,” that recruit said. “It was intriguing, but it kind of felt like a trap.”

As for when NIL comes up in conversations with schools and collectives, recruits said it can vary greatly.

Recruit 3 said that NIL money didn’t come up with any schools until his official visits, while Recruit 7 said that some schools just “throw it out there” very early in the process.

Some recruits were largely kept out of the process, too, by their parents and representation.

One five-star recruit told 247Sports that he’d been “domed” from the negotiations to allow him to focus on everything else.

60% off annual VIP membership! Get the latest football and recruiting scoop on your favorite college team today.

“You have to thread out the real, because people throw numbers at you a lot,” Recruit 11 said.

5 hours ago, Teryor said:

Hummer: How real is NIL? Anonymous recruits in college football's 2024 class dish on collectives, contracts and more 

Interesting concrete numbers, if you're looking for Texas guys, Wingo, Owens, and Kern were our signees at this game

Remind me tomorrow and I will address that article, but quickly, there is a lot of bullshit in there. Also, there are apparently multiple programs absolutely violating NIL rules that haven’t changed from day 1. Wow. 

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Remind me tomorrow and I will address that article, but quickly, there is a lot of bullshit in there. Also, there are apparently multiple programs absolutely violating NIL rules that haven’t changed from day 1. Wow. 

Yeah, I have never been worried about violating Texas Law or NCAA rules on NIL, the level of shit in there is insane to me. Texas is winning and not even fucking cheating that’s how god damned lame some of these other places are. 

The IRS still gives me the heebie jeebies though. 

5 hours ago, Teryor said:

i now have a total lack of understanding of what nil is, is not, should be, and should not be

it would be so much easier to read that with fish camp training which allows an instant translation: BAGS

36 minutes ago, immamac said:

Yeah, I have never been worried about violating Texas Law or NCAA rules on NIL, the level of shit in there is insane to me. Texas is winning and not even fucking cheating that’s how god damned lame some of these other places are. 

The IRS still gives me the heebie jeebies though. 

just keep separate sets of books

you are keeping separate sets of books, right?

/anakin-padme-meme

15 hours ago, Teryor said:

But there are often incentives for players to raise their NIL payments based on how they play. Conversely, a few players mentioned their NIL payments could go down if they don’t perform well. Beyond cash, players often also receive additional incentives like a leased vehicle.

“The way I have it, the first two years are 400 guaranteed, and after my sophomore year I can ask to renegotiate based on how I play,” Recruit 2 said.

“If you produce, you get bonuses,” Recruit 12 said. “Some schools do it differently, but that’s how ours does it.”

As for what players must do to earn the money, responses varied from appearing at charity events and social media posts to just being on the team.

“It’s a collective thing,” Recruit 6 said. “Just be part of the team, everybody gets it.”

BAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA IF A SINGLE WORD OF THIS IS TRUE I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE FELT BETTER ABOUT TOF STANDING WITH THE NCAA AND NIL RULES. LITERALLY THE SOLE DEFINITION OF WHAT YOU CANT DO....L O L

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, Teryor said:

But there are often incentives for players to raise their NIL payments based on how they play. Conversely, a few players mentioned their NIL payments could go down if they don’t perform well. Beyond cash, players often also receive additional incentives like a leased vehicle.

18 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

BAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA IF A SINGLE WORD OF THIS IS TRUE I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE FELT BETTER ABOUT TOF STANDING WITH THE NCAA AND NIL RULES. LITERALLY THE SOLE DEFINITION OF WHAT YOU CANT DO....L O L

Is this the kind of stuff the NCAA is going after Tennessee for? I assume based on these quotes that there will be more investigations. I guess it's just a question of if the govt allows the rules (and how soon the BIG10 and SEC leave the NCAA)

7 minutes ago, Viper said:

Is this the kind of stuff the NCAA is going after Tennessee for? I assume based on these quotes that there will be more investigations. I guess it's just a question of if the govt allows the rules (and how soon the BIG10 and SEC leave the NCAA)

Nope. That is what makes the NCAA such a laughing stock right now. 

The heart of the Tennessee investigation comes down to them flying a QB in for a meeting with their collective on a private jet owned by a booster. No one from the school itself was involved and this literally predated the national NCAA NIL guidelines anyway. It was during that wild west period. So even if the NCAA wanted to claim it would be a violation to do such a thing now it certainly was not then. The whole thing is a complete joke. 

You have kids being outright taken advantage of with predatory contracts that piss all over both the spirit and letter of the NIL regulations (state and NCAA both) not being investigated because then the NCAA might actually have to hand out a real punishment. Instead they are doing this smoke screen horseshit chasing after impermissible travel with both Tennessee and Florida State. 

• Hook 'Em 2

18 hours ago, closetojumping said:

We are ready for the teardown

12 minutes ago, immamac said:

It already does :)

There will be a way to navigate/filter based on it if that's what you are wondering.

You just living with a big old hard on aint ya?   

I remember first hearing about surly for the first time on the Horn after the lawsuit and split. 

Glad to see yall growing your platform. Hook em. 

9 hours ago, immamac said:

It already does :)

There will be a way to navigate/filter based on it if that's what you are wondering.

I noticed  Gerry mentioning player's OTF rating but didn't see a list of ratings on the website.

Edited by Sabalo

On 2/1/2024 at 1:30 PM, Sabalo said:

CJ is solid. Gerry is a natural.

Only advice I'd give CJ is to say in 5 words what he typically says in 25... he's verbose and then seems to lose his train of thought. Just spit it out, sometimes less is more. It's a sign when Bobby's response is "gotcha.." and then moves on to the next topic.

Having said that, he's not painful to listen to or anything. 

Edited by ChickenNuggets

55 minutes ago, ChickenNuggets said:

Only advice I'd give CJ is to say in 5 words what he typically says in 25... he's verbose and then seems to lose his train of thought. Just spit it out, sometimes less is more. It's a sign when Bobby's response is "gotcha.." and then moves on to the next topic.

Having said that, he's not painful to listen to or anything. 

He's like an AI version of Justin Wells.

• Haha 2

Khan Jr: Houston Confidential: Who’s recruiting the city best? We asked high school football coaches

Interesting to hear from Houston coaches given the heat map I think CJ Vogel made on Texas recruiting under Sark and how few Houston recruits we seem to land relatively

Last month, Houston was the center of the college football universe, hosting the final national championship game of the four-team College Football Playoff era.

But no matter what time of year it is, Houston is a key city in the sport’s landscape. The greater Houston area produces as much college football talent as anywhere in the country. Of the 351 Texas prospects ranked in the 247Sports Composite in the 2024 class, 99 are from the Houston metro area. Fifty-six of those Houston prospects signed with Power 5 programs, and at least 94 earned scholarships to FBS schools.

To get a sense of who recruits Houston the best and how the sport’s biggest changes are impacting the city’s recruiting dynamics, The Athletic spoke with eight high school coaches in every corner of the metro area, from Houston proper to the suburbs, on various topics. They were granted anonymity in exchange for their candor.

Coach 1: A high school head coach
Coach 2: A high school head coach
Coach 3: A high school assistant coach
Coach 4: A high school head coach
Coach 5: A high school assistant coach
Coach 6: A high school head coach
Coach 7: A high school assistant coach
Coach 8: A high school head coach

Which programs in the state do the best job recruiting the Houston area?
Coach 1: Texas A&M, Texas Tech and Texas. Texas A&M has done a pretty good job in the last few years of trying to lock Houston down.

Coach 2: Texas A&M and Texas. They all get around: Baylor, Texas Tech, TCU, UTSA, Abilene Christian, they’re all over Houston.

Coach 3: Texas Tech. Their coaches are always checking up (on recruits). They’re aggressive and going and getting ’em.

Coach 4: Rice, Baylor and TCU.

Coach 5: Coach (Willie) Fritz, as soon as he got to Houston, his guys were very visible all around the Houston area. It’s a difference, immediately, from what we’ve seen in the past. Rice is a lot more visible, too. Of course, Texas and Texas A&M are always going to be around, TCU, Texas Tech, Texas State, UTSA.

Coach 6: Texas, Texas Tech, TCU, Houston all come by. Each school has a different coach that is a really good recruiter who does a good job of staying in contact, whether you have (their caliber) players or not.

Coach 7: In the last cycle we’ve seen Texas, Texas A&M and Houston the most. Texas has gone above and beyond in the last 9-10 months to make sure the big guys in Houston stay in Texas.

Coach 8: UTSA and North Texas have done a great job. Houston has done a pretty good job, both the previous staff and the new staff.

Which programs would you like to see more of?
Coach 1: SMU, I think they’ve tried to lock down Dallas more. Houston (also), but they’ve done a better job of late since Willie Fritz came in.

Coach 2: Prairie View A&M and Texas Southern don’t come by as much.

Coach 3: Before GJ Kinne took over it was Texas State. In five years (at my previous school), I saw them one time. But since Kinne got there, they’ve been coming by. A&M didn’t come by as much under Jimbo (Fisher). They mostly only called on the phone. I guess they had better things to do than go by every school and probably just concentrated on what they were doing.

Coach 4: I’d like to see A&M more. I didn’t even know who the A&M recruiter was for my area (under Fisher), and I’ve had some A&M-worthy guys.

Coach 5: The one we haven’t seen a bunch of is Sam Houston.

Coach 6: When an A&M coach came through (recently), it was only the second time I’ve seen an A&M coach come through in four years. Georgia, Alabama, Oklahoma all come by here at least once a year, sometimes twice. Texas comes by here, and the rest of the state schools as well. So to have A&M an hour and a half away and not stop by was just ridiculous.

Coach 8: I haven’t seen Texas Southern or Prairie View come through. I don’t know if they just gave it up or what. It makes no sense.

How is the approach of Mike Elko and his staff different from Jimbo Fisher and his staff?
Coach 1: (The new staff) has been out there. They’ve focused more on the state of Texas, whereas before with Jimbo, they trended to more national recruiting. It sounds like they’re going less (recruiting) stars and trying to focus more on getting kids who love ball, quality kids. That better fits Elko’s personality.

Coach 2: I’ve seen Elko more than I saw Jimbo Fisher. I saw Elko a couple times (since December) whereas I met Jimbo Fisher one time in all the years that he was at A&M.

Coach 3: They’ve gotten out. (Running backs coach) Trooper Taylor came by recently and watched our offseason workouts. They’re going into schools a lot more.

Coach 5: It’s about the same from everything we’ve seen. Coach Elko came by in December to talk to us. It looks like the early returns are pretty good there.

Coach 6: The new staff is so much more personable. The (assistant) coach from the previous staff that (was assigned) our area, I felt had a kind of a big-timer approach. I don’t think Jimbo ever connected with the high school coaches. Their recruiting approach did not follow the traditional path … it was more about finding the who’s who, signing big-named guys and not truly evaluating them. I think Elko has a little more blue-collar approach and will connect and resonate with the high school coaches. When they came by (recently), they had a great approach.

Coach 8: The previous staff recruited us pretty hard. But I think the new staff probably has a better grasp on how to recruit the state of Texas and Houston than the previous staff did. I don’t think the previous staff, particularly the head coach, understood how it works here.

Which of the Group of 5 programs in Texas do the best job?
Coach 2: UTSA and Texas State do a great job. They’re really good about building relationships with kids and coaches. They’re active and always come by.

Coach 3: UTSA. They’re all over it. They always visit, they call, they have a good social media presence, they even send the kids old-school mail.

Coach 4: UTSA and Rice. Coach (Mike) Bloomgren and his staff do a tremendous job of building relationships. They stop by your school even if you don’t have anyone they’re interested in.

Coach 5: UTSA. Rice has been around a lot in the last year. Texas State has done a pretty good job since Kinne took over. You see them a whole lot more than you did before that. And it’s not a huge sample size yet, but since (Scotty Walden) got there, UTEP has been all over the place.

Coach 6: Rice and UTSA. I think Bloomgren does a tremendous job. (Jeff) Traylor’s staff, for a school at the G5 level, they’re working it. And they do it with a personable approach. Some schools, it’s more like they’re checking off the list and shaking hands because they have to and it’s not genuine. With UTSA, it feels genuine.

Coach 7: UTSA has done the best job around here. Rice, with (linebackers coach) Jon Kay knowing everybody, has done well. He’s not one of those guys who’s like, “Hey, I know you, so I’m not going to come by.” He still comes by and spends an hour, two hours, talking to coaches, expressing what they need and are looking for. North Texas is doing a good job as well, (special teams coach) Drew Svoboda recently came by and spent a couple of hours.

Coach 8: UTSA, North Texas and Rice.

UTSA’s Jeff Traylor, an East Texas high school coaching legend, remains an influential player in Houston recruiting. New UH coach Willie Fritz (right) will now be battling him for local talent. (Matthew Hinton / USA Today)
Which head coach in the state is the best recruiter?
Coach 1: (Texas’ Steve Sarkisian). He gets it. He can talk (to players), he knows what he wants. He has that charisma and he’s relentless.

Coach 2: Sarkisian does a good job. Joey McGuire does a good job. They try to be personable and get to know the kids and the coaching staffs.

Coach 3: Jeff Traylor and Joey McGuire are good. Those guys have been around Texas for so long. Willie Fritz is on a roll. I see pictures all over the internet of Willie at this high school, Willie at that high school.

Coach 4: Jeff Traylor. Personable, great all-around guy. Long term, I think it’ll end up being Willie Fritz. He’s a people person. I had heard nothing but great things about him and when I finally got to meet him, we sat and talked for about an hour and a half. He even offered me some advice as well.

Coach 5: Sark’s doing a good job. How much of that is actual recruiting and how much of that is because we can offer a lot more collective money? But that’s kinda the deal nowadays. But he’s getting a lot of kids.

Coach 6: I gotta say Joey (McGuire). Joey just makes you feel relaxed because he was one of us. He’s really genuine. Lots of energy.

Coach 7: Jeff Traylor.

Coach 8: Mike Bloomgren at Rice and Colby Carthel at Stephen F. Austin both do a great job. Bloomgren is the most visible to me. Also, I think Scotty Walden and the new staff at UTEP are going to do a great job.

Which assistant coaches in Texas stand out to you in recruiting?
Coach 1: (Texas special teams coach) Jeff Banks is the guy. From what I was told, they send Banks to see the top guys. (Texas safeties coach) Blake Gideon does a good job.

Coach 2: Paul Gonzales at TCU and Joe Price at UTSA. Roger Hinshaw at Houston Christian is a legend. Clay Jennings at North Texas as well.

Coach 3: Banks is so darn good at it. He was really good when he was at A&M and he’s really good at Texas. Joe Price, he’s really good about keeping tabs. Shawn Bell at Houston, who used to be at Baylor. He would stop by even if it wasn’t one of his (assigned) schools.

Coach 4: Joe Price at UTSA and (director of recruiting) Justin Owens at North Texas. They both do a great job of staying in contact and following up on players. Alex Brown, (general manager) at SMU, is also definitely up there.

Coach 5: Bradley Dale Peveto, who was at UTEP but is at Texas State now, he’s recruited the state well for years and years. Joe Price always does a pretty good job. Jon Kay at Rice is very visible and around.

Coach 6: Paul Gonzales at TCU has always been solid. He does his due diligence, is very transparent about, “I don’t know if we’ll (offer) him,” or “Hey, we really like him.” … Matt Powledge, Baylor’s (defensive coordinator) is also open and honest about where they are with guys. (Texas Tech running backs coach Justin Johnson), he’s an energy guy, does a great job with the kids. He’s always been real. AJ Milwee, Texas’ quarterback coach, has been great. Every time he comes by here, he’s spending a minimum of two hours and we’re just talking. Blake Gideon recruits here as well and is very good.

Coach 7: (Texas offensive line coach Kyle) Flood has done an amazing job. He’s been by here an ungodly amount of times, been on the (whiteboard). When (defensive line coach Bo Davis) was at Texas, he did a phenomenal job recruiting this area. (Baylor outside linebackers coach) Caleb Collins has done a fantastic job. He’s been by here religiously, the second-most behind Flood.

Coach 8: Shawn Bell over at Houston. I like Drew Svoboda at North Texas. Joe Price at UTSA comes to my school a lot.

Steve Sarkisian and his staff have helped Texas remain a major player in Houston. (Sara Diggins / American-Statesman / USA Today)
Which out-of-state program does the best job in Houston?
Coach 1: Utah. Morgan Scalley is the best out-of-state recruiter. He doesn’t wait. He offers guys who don’t have any offers who are ball players. If Scalley offers you on Friday, by Monday you have Baylor, TCU and a bunch of others coming back behind.

Coach 2: Oklahoma is always around. Oregon comes by a lot and they’ve done that for a while. LSU is always around, too.

Coach 3: Nebraska. Matt Rhule’s got them all over here. He hired Garret McGuire and (former UIL executive director) Susan Elza, all those Texas people.

Coach 4: Oklahoma and LSU are probably the top two. Arizona State does a good job in Houston as well.

Coach 5: You can’t knock what Georgia’s done. They’ve come in here and grabbed a couple of five-stars recently. Ohio State has done a really good job here in Houston.

Coach 6: Kansas. Jonathan Wallace, the running backs coach, is one of my favorite recruiters. Very honest, very personable, just has a good vibe to him. And the head coach (Lance Leipold) has been through, I really like him.

Coach 7: Oklahoma has been down here the most. They brought Brent Venables through. … (The head coach has) only so many visits and places he can go and people he can see. So when he takes time out of his day to stop by, it sends a powerful message. (Arkansas coach) Sam Pittman came by and sat for an hour and a half and just talked. It’s a great way to build a bridge and show the kids how important they really are to them.

Coach 8: Oklahoma brings it. I consider them Texas North. They send a lot of guys, they know where to go and they’ve always done a good job of getting Houston kids to go up there.

Have you seen more of Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Utah since they announced their move to the Big 12?
Coach 1: Arizona State has been here a lot. It used to be just (cornerbacks coach) Bryan Carrington but now all their position coaches come through. Arizona has come by, but Arizona State has been by more. I haven’t seen the Colorado staff at all (during the winter contact period).

Coach 2: Not really. Utah has always recruited here; (defensive coordinator) Morgan Scalley does a great job. Arizona State is here. But I haven’t seen a big increase (in those schools).

Coach 3: The two Arizona schools, they’ve been by (more often).

Coach 4: I love Deion (Sanders) and what he’s about, but I haven’t seen anyone from Colorado come to my school since he took over. I used to see coaches from Colorado come by before (Sanders), but not now. Arizona State, Carrington contacts me quite a bit. Utah, I’ve seen Scalley a whole bunch and also (cornerbacks coach Sharrieff) Shah.

Coach 6: Arizona did a good job of coming out. (Former defensive backs coach) Chuck Cecil has always come by here and did a great job before he moved into an off-field role. Utah has always come through. Arizona State came through with (Ra’Shaad) Samples, before they knew they were coming to the Big 12.

Coach 7: I have not seen Colorado at all. The DC from Utah (Scalley) has always recruited Houston well. I’ve seen Arizona a little bit. Bryan Carrington (from Arizona State) came by also.

Coach 8: Yes, especially Arizona State. I’ve seen them at my school every year I’ve been here. Utah has always recruited Houston; I’ve known Morgan Scalley for years. I haven’t seen Arizona much. I haven’t seen Colorado at all in the last year.

go-deeper
GO DEEPER

Recruiting confidential: High school football stars dish on NIL deals, arrogant coaches and more

How much will Texas’ move to the SEC affect the dynamics of recruiting in Houston?
Coach 1: I think it’s going to hurt A&M a lot because that was their one-up on Texas.

Coach 2: I don’t think it’ll affect it at all. The Texas and Texas A&M brands are so big. The top kids want to go there anyway.

Coach 5: With Houston’s proximity to the Southeast, I don’t think it’s going to change that much. SEC schools have always come down to Houston to try to get the top targets.

Coach 6: Those three letters, S-E-C, are a big deal. When you talk about a school that is where they are money-wise, brand power and you add the SEC to that recipe, I think it’s going to bode well for Texas. I think you’re going to see an uptick in Houston kids going to the SEC, even to the out-of-state schools, too. They can say, “Hey, we’re truly coming to Texas” (to play Texas and Texas A&M). So I could see some of those out-of-state SEC schools more than just dip their toe in Houston.

Coach 7: It’s gonna be hard for the University of Houston to get the big guys from the city of Houston. It’ll make it harder for them to survive in the Big 12. They used to get one or two or three developmental-type guys, like (former UH and current Houston Texans tackle) Josh Jones, a lot of those guys are gonna get eaten up by SEC schools.

How much has NIL changed your role in the recruiting process?
(Although NIL is often discussed during a recruitment, Texas state law prohibits high school athletes from monetizing their name, image and likeness, meaning they must wait until they are enrolled at their chosen college before cashing in.)

Coach 1: You have to discuss it with the kid and their parents. You have to be aware. It’s so unregulated, and every school is different, so it’s hard to compare. But you have to talk about it. We try to educate about financial literacy, taxes, stuff like that. If you don’t do it, somebody else will.

Coach 2: Not at all. College coaches don’t talk to me about NIL, they talk to the kids and the families. I have not had one conversation with a college coach about any kind of NIL offer.

Coach 3: We’ve had to deal with it here. We had a kid who was committed and started shopping himself around and got a lot more money. We have to talk these guys through the process. It’s a game-changer.

Coach 4: I talk to our kids about it. It’s a motivator for them to keep their grades up if they’re going to be the type of player to get an NIL deal. If the ability to make money (in college) doesn’t motivate you to do even better academically, then nothing else will.

Coach 6: My only communication with my kids is: I know it seems like a lot of money, but you’re going to be able to make that up tenfold at the next level on Sundays, so don’t make your decision based on that. Make the decision based on where you want to be. Don’t choose a school just because all of a sudden someone offered you more. Take all the money out and ask yourself, “Where would I want to be?” and let your heart guide you a little bit.

Coach 7: It’s made us talk more sincerely to our players about their reputation, their Twitter profile, that they’re putting on there, what kind of name they’re making for themselves and what kind of image they’re projecting. Before, it was like, “Hey, when you go to college, you want to make sure you keep your reputation clean, because eventually someone’s going to want to draft you.” Now, we’ve sped the whole thing up. Talking to people who have paid out NIL money, there were a lot of questions asked about who they’re paying. They want to make smart investments.

Coach 8: That’s for the kid and their parents to decide. I want to stay neutral as much as I can because that’s not my money.

• Hook 'Em 5