2019 NCAA Baseball Thread

Beau Vine

When’s the last time you saw an extra-innings game with a final score of 27-11? I’m guessing never. Illinois State battled back from a seven-run deficit at Belmont to tie the score 10-10, and the two teams traded runs in the ninth to force extras. After a scoreless 10th, the Redbirds exploded for 16 runs in the 11th inning to win a wild one. Joe Butler, Tyson Hays, John Rave and Joe Aeilts each drove in three or more runs for the Redbirds, led by five RBIs apiece from Butler and Hays. Belmont contributed to its own demise by issuing 15 walks to go along with ISU’s 16 hits. The 11th was not exactly a masterpiece, as the Bruins walked seven, hit three batters and committed three errors in the frame. But at least they stranded the bases loaded.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2019 at 10:21 PM, Beau Vine said:

Rice sucks moose cocks --  14 K's in a 2-hit shutout loss to Texas State.

Now 3-7 after a 25-5 midweek win over PVAMU.

They're now 6-7 after beating Baylor and TCU at Minute Maid and cougar high tonight.  Hopefully they're figuring it out just in time for OU's visit to Reckling this weekend.

Playing mid-week against the hated Noles, I come home to see UF down 0-6 to HalfAssU.  It is now 20-7 Florida.   Damn, ugly baseball, but bunches of fun for this Gator to watch. 

No. 11 is like Sisyphus, always moving great teams with large expectations up the Hill, only to fall back every year in important games. 

21 minutes ago, WBT said:

Oregon gets a walkoff HR in the 12th to beat Arizona State 5-4.  Arizona State had been the last undefeated team in D1.

I'm looking forward to watching ASU cornhole the UW here in Seattle in  a few week.

8 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

It looks like the PAC 12 is the best league so far. UCLA, Stanford, Oregon State, and Arizona State. Scares you to death.

Lots of strong teams there. As someone who travels west for business often, I love catching some PAC baseball games as it's an easy ticket, on grass while on grass and pretty good weather for the most part.

• 2 weeks later...

Lulz aggy

What the gif doesn't show is that the throw in from the RF apparently got away from the cutoff man which is why the runner initially stopped when rounding 3rd then restarted and ran home.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Horny Bull said:

We have our first #1 vs #2 regular season match up in 3 years (or 4, depending on the poll) with UCLA vising Stanford this weekend. 

Stanford takes game 1.  UCLA scored 2 in the top of the 9th to tie it but Stanford walked it off in the bottom of the 9th.

On 4/5/2019 at 9:34 PM, WBT said:

Lulz aggy

What the gif doesn't show is that the throw in from the RF apparently got away from the cutoff man which is why the runner initially stopped when rounding 3rd then restarted and ran home.

aggy talking shit about a midweek win followed by a series loss in games that actually matter in conference is the most aggy thing ever. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What a season it has been for MSU... and you to @Sbbruin. Heading into the final weekend of the regular season. MSU is playing La Tech to make up our lost Nebraska game earlier in the year (when it decided to be freezing in Frisco on March 3rd.. who would have guessed). Then finishing the season again South Carolina, one of the worst teams in the SEC. I've gotta actually hope the Aggies help us out by sweeping Arkansas..not likely. If they do we win the West.

Either way we have the most wins, best record against Q1, No loses outside Q1. and on our way to hosting a regional and likely record breaking super regional at our new baseball field with our 1st year head coach. Not to mention, one of the top 5 pitchers in the country in Ethan Small, an amazing freshman in JT Ginn, and one of the best hitters to ever play in college. Jake Mangum.  

SBBruin hope we can meet up in Omaha again, we have more than one pitcher this time. 

1 hour ago, msudawg said:

What a season it has been for MSU... and you to @Sbbruin. Heading into the final weekend of the regular season. MSU is playing La Tech to make up our lost Nebraska game earlier in the year (when it decided to be freezing in Frisco on March 3rd.. who would have guessed). Then finishing the season again South Carolina, one of the worst teams in the SEC. I've gotta actually hope the Aggies help us out by sweeping Arkansas..not likely. If they do we win the West.

Either way we have the most wins, best record against Q1, No loses outside Q1. and on our way to hosting a regional and likely record breaking super regional at our new baseball field with our 1st year head coach. Not to mention, one of the top 5 pitchers in the country in Ethan Small, an amazing freshman in JT Ginn, and one of the best hitters to ever play in college. Jake Mangum.  

SBBruin hope we can meet up in Omaha again, we have more than one pitcher this time. 

This Bruin team reminds me of the Dodgers with the depth.  And a staff ERA of 2.77 is sick.  But baseball is so damn fickle, who knows how it will shake out.  But this team is better than the 2013 team.  A rematch would be fun.

53 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

This Bruin team reminds me of the Dodgers with the depth.  And a staff ERA of 2.77 is sick.  But baseball is so damn fickle, who knows how it will shake out.  But this team is better than the 2013 team.  A rematch would be fun.

It is indeed. But i'll take my top three against your top 3. (I see Ryan Garcia moved to the friday night role  recently) 

(MSU) Ethan Small - 13 starts  1.73 ERA, 7-1, 78 IP, 132 K, 19 BB  .157 BAA 

(UCLA) Ryan Garcia - 9 starts, 1.27 ERA, 7-0, 64IP, 82 K, 18 BB . 161 BAA

(MSU) JT Ginn - 13 starts, 3.13 ERA, 8-3 , 69 IP, 87 K, 14 BB, .223 BAA

UCLA) Jack Ralston - 13 starts, 2.34 ERA, 9-0, 77IP, 78 K, 27 BB, .209 BAA

(MSU) Peyton Plumlee - 12 starts, 3.68 era, 5-3, 63.2 IP, 51K, 24BB , .205 BAA

UCLA) Jesse Bergin - 13 starts, 3.88 ERA, 5-0, 65 IP, 74 K, 24BB, .213 BAA

Especially when you compare the offenses. MSU Team BA .317 vs UCLA .294 

As I mentioned, Jake Mangum is breaking all kinds of records for his career and not by having a subpar season either.. hitting at .401 , 60 runs, on 93 hits with 20 being doubles. 

Edited by msudawg

20 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Fielding .982

Hitting .862 OPS

Pitching 2.56 ERA

Man...I remember when we had teams like that.

State is  Hitting  .893 OPS

Pitching 3.51 ERA

Fielding .973 

SBbruin, yall take care of Oregon this weekend and we will do whatever in the Sec tournament..We win 2 (2nd game likely against Vandy) and we may jump up to #2 overall seed.. if not we stay in the 3 role. I don't think UGA jumps us unless they win the whole thing (possible). But in the end all that matters is being ranked top 8 so we can host till Omaha (and maybe break some more attendance records). 

LSU on the road/neutral in non-conference games:

at Texas 8-1 L, 8-4 L, 7-6 L

at Northwestern State 3-1 L

at Southern 7-2 L

vs Louisiana in Metarie 6-5 L

Of course, none of this will matter, because the committee will hand them a home regional with a shitty 2-seed like McNeese or somebody.

Edited by Beau Vine