2020 ATH Mookie Cooper

thepop

3 hours ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

I’m not saying they haven’t.  I’m simply saying it could have been that easy for them and it would make sense.  It’s scarily similar to Rondale’s actually and we wished him the best.  

He seems like a good dude so why not give him the benefit of a doubt for the time being?  If he flips tomorrow, then yeah.  I’ll hop on the train just like the rest of us hopped on the train on South Austin’s mom.

This is basically where I'm at well. I can see his old coach pitching something along the lines of "we really, really need you here more than Texas does. And, you know, if we don't get some results soon, I might be out of a job. Not pressure you (of course), but you know how it is... Plus, we've got a bunch of your old teammates here. Can you at least open things back up and give us a little bit more of an honest, in-depth look?" Assuming said former coach is someone Mookie respects and looks up to, that might be hard to turn down.   Obviously, it would be pretty slimy to put that kind of pressure on a high school kid, but CFB coaches are gonna do CFB coach things. Especially when it comes to recruiting.

My real question, that we don't seem to have answer to, is whether he's still considering us. I REALLY hope he is, because I think he's a special talent. I think he could be an incredible weapon in Herman's offense. I also really hope this isn't a Marquez Beason type situation, because Mookie seems like a good kid (although good kids can be bought too). But if he commits to Illinois out of the blue in the next week or so, then we'll have a much better idea. I mean, the Beason situation was something else. That recruitment was so dirty that even aggy mostly kept their distance until they later when they got REALLY desperate for CB help. So I guess that tells you all you need to know about Illinois recruiting right now.

However, if people are going to consistently start that kind of thing with Texas, I'm not sure that right now is the time to do it. Pulling that shit with Herman enough to get him pissed... well, let's just say "he's definitely not Mack Brown" when it comes to that kind of behavior and leave it at that.

People on here are as quick to throw out the dirty recruitment excuse as aggy is the not secsecsec good line, and will go to the same heights of obvious bullshit doing so.

Kid is from St. Louis. Look at a map. He's got friends at Illinois. He's got a former coach there. He has far less competition fort playing time there. How you look at that situation and jump to "He'S bOuGhT!1!1!1" when a junior in high school changes his mind about going to Texas (not even that necessarialy, just decides to reevaluate), without any proof, blows my mind. He's 17(?). They tend to do impulsive shit like commit to Texas on a visit and then back off after a visit somewhere else. Get over it or go back to texags.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

People on here are as quick to throw out the dirty recruitment excuse as aggy is the not secsecsec good line, and will go to the same heights of obvious bullshit doing so.

Kid is from St. Louis. Look at a map. He's got friends at Illinois. He's got a former coach there. He has far less competition fort playing time there. How you look at that situation and jump to "He'S bOuGhT!1!1!1" when a junior in high school changes his mind about going to Texas (not even that necessarialy, just decides to reevaluate), without any proof, blows my mind. He's 17(?). They tend to do impulsive shit like commit to Texas on a visit and then back off after a visit somewhere else. Get over it or go back to texags.

lol, this is cute. Go look at the Beason and I. Williams recruitment then come tell us how bad of fans we are.

11 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Because it's Illinois, they've been buying players the past couple years. And it was a weird, sudden decommit after selling Marcus Washington on UT for a year. If it had been Mizzou or Purdue it'd have been different.

Edited by texifornia

15 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

All about context here.  I'm trying to be optimistic that this one is on the up and up.I really like Mookie - seems like a smart kid with a good head on his shoulders based his quotes and (I think?) an interview I watched a while back.  Plus, I think he's a special talent that would kill it here.

However, the fact that it's Illinois involved here makes me think I'm being naive about this. I don't know anything about Williams, but the Beason recruitment had all of the usual signs of underhanded, shady shit and then some. As last year's flagrantly shady recruitments go, Beason and Dylan Wright are in a class by themselves. And none of that even includes the discussion on how the hell Illinois is going to keep Beason eligible, given that he's barely semi-literate of below average commitment to academics. Because that's going to take an ever more astounding amount of rule "bending."

Well, at least we got this out of the way less than a month after he committed. So weird. Kid has been all Texas for more than a year. goes to Champaign, IL one time and opens it up? Have y'all ever been to Champaign? It's a shit hole in the middle of nowhere. Oh well, adios Mookie. 
303dd2c2912ea94e19407e2449c4f8af.jpg

• 1 year later...

Since this popped up, I got curious and hopped on to 247 and kept looking at the Texas class of 2020, and couldn't find this guy. Didn't realize he was committed to you guys for less than a month...back in spring of 2019 (from Feb 16, 2019, to Mar 8, 2019). that's almost 2 years ago.

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

Since this popped up, I got curious and hopped on to 247 and kept looking at the Texas class of 2020, and couldn't find this guy. Didn't realize he was committed to you guys for less than a month...back in spring of 2019 (from Feb 16, 2019, to Mar 8, 2019). that's almost 2 years ago.

Cool story.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

Since you popped up, I got curious and hopped on Google and kept looking at NCAA Championship lists, and couldn't find your team. Didn't realize you guys last won a  conference championship ... back in 1998 (when Texas beat you). that's almost 32 years ago.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Since you popped up, I got curious and hopped on Google and kept looking at NCAA Championship lists, and couldn't find your team. Didn't realize you guys last won a  conference championship ... back in 1998 (when Texas beat you). that's almost 32 years ago.

haha that is certainly a nice thing to hang your hat on, isn't it? :) it'll never get old for you. That's quite ok. Truth is truth.

I'm not sulking over the matter though, you see. So you guys shouldn't sulk over a guy you had committed for less than a month, two years ago, either. It's not a good look. Especially for the mighty Longhorns, is the gist of my comment here. Didn't mean to seem like I was salting an open wound.

Edited by PHLaggie

32 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

haha that is certainly a nice thing to hang your hat on, isn't it? :) it'll never get old for you. That's quite ok. Truth is truth.

I'm not sulking over the matter though, you see. So you guys shouldn't sulk over a guy you had committed for less than a month, two years ago, either. It's not a good look. Especially for the mighty Longhorns, is the gist of my comment here. Didn't mean to seem like I was salting an open wound.

I didn't see any sulking. It appeared to be an instance of "where are they now?" . 

I'm dumbfounded trying to figure out what possessed an aggy to wander over to a Longhorn message board, go to the recruiting forum, and pipe up about a recruit that has nothing to do with them? I remembered, belatedly, that I should never try to make sense of an aggy. It's pointless.

• Hook 'Em 1