Protest Songs

cactusflinthead

Movie Producers: "Hey, get those Rage Machine guys to do a song for this soundtrack. They're hot right now and Godzilla is going to need hard rock!"

RATM: (ring ring) "Hello?"

Movie Producers: "Can you guys put together a song for the Godzilla movie soundtrack? It's gonna be a BLOCKBUSTER!"

RATM: [Writes song about how Hollywood and consumer culture keep people stupid and distracted and are bullshit, talks about movies whitewashing history, expressly calls the movie "Godzilla" itself "pure muthafuckin' filler." Sends in tape to the executives.]

Producers: "Super!"

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Grandioso said:

Movie Producers: "Hey, get those Rage Machine guys to do a song for this soundtrack. They're hot right now and Godzilla is going to need hard rock!"

RATM: (ring ring) "Hello?"

Movie Producers: "Can you guys put together a song for the Godzilla movie soundtrack? It's gonna be a BLOCKBUSTER!"

RATM: [Writes song about how Hollywood and consumer culture keep people stupid and distracted and are bullshit, talks about movies whitewashing history, expressly calls the movie "Godzilla" itself "pure muthafuckin' filler." Sends in tape to the executives.]

Producers: "Super!"

The producers did not care what the song meant.

1 minute ago, JimmyJames said:

The producers did not care what the song meant.

I imagine someone listened to the first 20-30 seconds to make sure it was catchy, then they sent it to legal to make sure they could sneak it in to the soundtrack without having to put a parental advisory sticker on it. They probably didn't figure out what the song was about, if ever, until the single came out.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

Some selections from my protest songs playlist.

Racist Friend - The Specials

Your Racist Friend - They Might Be Giants

Let's Face Facts - The Masqueradors

Israelites - Desmond Dekker 

This is Why We Fight - Decembrists

House Un-American Blues Activity Dream - Mimi and Richard Farina

Burden of Shame - UB40

If There is a Hell Below - Curtis Mayfield

This is Not a Song, It's an Outburst - Rodriguez

I'd Love to Change the World - Ten Years After

A Change is Gonna Come - Sam Cooke

The Heart of the Matter - Rupert Hine

The Free Mexican Air Force - Peter Rowan

The Sadder But Wiser Girl For Me - Robert Preston

For Jefferson and Liberty - Oscar Brand

Badges - Minutemen

The Partisan - Leonard Cohen

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/2/2021 at 12:50 PM, TheStoicPaisano said:

I worked with one of the women who sings with them when she is not singing with her own band. She is one of the sweetest people I have ever run across. She is from Romania and had her first child not too long ago. She’s got a great soul and I am very proud of all the good she has been able to spread through singing. 

9 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Now I’m actually weeping because I forgot about it this year. I missed the anniversary by two weeks from this coming Tuesday. That was four days after my first vaccination shot. But goddamnit.

I’ve listened to that song a thousand times and never put the lyrics together.  I wasn’t alive for that, but right over my head.