NBA All Star Weekend Improvements

hobbes2702

Was talking to a buddy about this years all star weekend and we both agree that is just isn’t entertaining. At least in my opinion. 

What are some ideas y’all have for improving the weekend? 

Heres a couple I came up with that I think could help.

1. Old Man Game - Apparently this used to happen. Get players who have been retired for 10 or 15 years and have an old man game of basically hall of fame guys. May not be amazing but I think it would be pretty cool to watch those guys play, even though they won’t have to athleticism anymore. Imagine watching Iverson out there even at 45.

2. Cash bonus (something substantial, say a million each) to the players on the winning team of the all star game. Won’t make it highly competitive but I would think it would at least add a little bit, especially toward the end of the game.

3. Alternate broadcast. Show the game also on NBATV with a TVMA disclaimer. Every player mic’d up. Would be awesome to hear the trash talk between these guys, especially if idea 2 actually added some fire.

Thoughts on those? Any ideas y’all have?

they need to get those natural high flyers professional dunkers to do the dunk competition. a 6'8 240+ guy can only hang for so long. the lighter guys who get a ton of air and can do amazing things would be much better.

make the 3 pt contest on both ends of the court..and make it knock out rounds. 8>4>2>1 winner. this top 3 shit and all shoot by themselves is weird.

maybe a game of lightning played by both rosters for a 500,000. Make the all stars buy in to the game with 25,000 of their own cash. Show up with wads of 25k. Winner takes all

the skills competition and whatever that pop a shot was last night can scrapped for high stakes lightning

Edited by MNLonghornFUKM

2 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Was talking to a buddy about this years all star weekend and we both agree that is just isn’t entertaining. At least in my opinion. 

What are some ideas y’all have for improving the weekend? 

Heres a couple I came up with that I think could help.

1. Old Man Game - Apparently this used to happen. Get players who have been retired for 10 or 15 years and have an old man game of basically hall of fame guys. May not be amazing but I think it would be pretty cool to watch those guys play, even though they won’t have to athleticism anymore. Imagine watching Iverson out there even at 45.

2. Cash bonus (something substantial, say a million each) to the players on the winning team of the all star game. Won’t make it highly competitive but I would think it would at least add a little bit, especially toward the end of the game.

3. Alternate broadcast. Show the game also on NBATV with a TVMA disclaimer. Every player mic’d up. Would be awesome to hear the trash talk between these guys, especially if idea 2 actually added some fire.

Thoughts on those? Any ideas y’all have?

They used to do it and had a few of the old guys tear up their knees.   That puts quite a damper on things when it happens.     Plus there is the Big # series now that has many of those guys still playing.

I like the Old Man game as well as the idea for a cash bonus for the winners...

I wonder, though, if players might have more "motivation" if they had a skin in the game- If there was a leaguewide cash award for getting selected to the ASG, but it was all pooled and the winning team got 65% of it (or something).

Or, let the players openly bet on it.

Cut out all the bs. They're trying to drag 30m of entertainment out into multiple hours on the skills night. Do the whole thing in an hour tops. The skills challenge and 3 point guys better be sucking wind in the finals, they run each round so fast. This cuts down on all the interviews with rapper, actors, virtue signallers, etc.

3 point needs to be head to head. If I could handle it growing up on our Zenith console, I think a split screen on my current TV that's a zillion times bigger will be ok.

Dunk contest, go back to the old ways, if you miss a dunk it's a zero, sit down. Maybe people don't try as crazy of a dunk, but then maybe they have their shit together. And if they make it to the finals they're still going to go for it. Get multiple judges like Dr. J. Julius didn't hand out 10s for mediocre dunks.
I'd do away with props, extra people, etc. Just you a ball and a basket. Show me something new, there has to be something that hasn't been done. Can't do that? Then do something I've seen before, at a much much higher level.

The old guy games were awful. Some could shoot, some could do nothing, those knees earned their retirement. If you want to do something like that make it shooting only, horse or whatever, no dunks, just shooting. Then again you saw how bad they all shot the other night with ol man Curry.

How about a 3 on 3 with the top 6 rookies. 15 by 1s, 3s count as 2, make it take it. No subs. Ok take the top 12 and do 4 teams.

Celebrity games always suck. Yeah there might be a non athlete celeb or two that played division 2 or whatever, but its more often whatever network has the game is owned by megacorp, and on one of megacorps other networks they have that new show with that gay actor that they really need to keep in the closet, so lets have him do this sports thing, that will fool everyone. Or you have brat actor that somehow has a following, and he has agreed to sign on to so and so project if we get him in the celeb game.

AS game itself. Go back to conferences. Let the fans vote the starters, the coaches vote the rest, and the head coach can pick an additional player or two but not from his own team. Though I admit I do like seeing some of the lineups these drafted games produce.

Want to motivate the players? Losing team has to spend the first week after the season doing community service stuff.(oh but all professional athletes love doing that stuff, their leagues tell me so in commercial after commercial.)

Get a little crazier. Pick 17 peeps on each team. Three groups of five on each team, either they play full quarters each, or 5minutes each quarter with the clock stopping for that changeover to happen. 4thQ coaches can play whatever combo they want. The extra 2 are for injury but can play in the 4th if desired.

6 hours ago, PilotsError said:

I watch a lot of NBA, like tons. All star weekend is a time for me to get away and take a break. Doesn't matter to me what they do, I need the near week off.

Right, I'm not understanding the need for the game to be more than what it was yesterday.   Its an exhibition.   They will turn it up a little at the end but the goal is to have fun, put on a show and most importantly not get an injury that would effect the rest of your season.   A couple yrs ago, it had gone too far the other way.   People reacted negatively and the players adjusted getting back to more of traditional ASG style of play.   There is nothing wrong with the game now IMO............outside of the shitty musical performances

1 hour ago, d2o said:

Right, I'm not understanding the need for the game to be more than what it was yesterday.   Its an exhibition.   They will turn it up a little at the end but the goal is to have fun, put on a show and most importantly not get an injury that would effect the rest of your season.   A couple yrs ago, it had gone too far the other way.   People reacted negatively and the players adjusted getting back to more of traditional ASG style of play.   There is nothing wrong with the game now IMO............outside of the shitty musical performances

The game used to be about high flying dunks and rad shit like that. Now it's just watching a bunch of famous basketball players shoot three pointers. We already have a three point competition. The game is boring af. 

11 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

The game used to be about high flying dunks and rad shit like that. Now it's just watching a bunch of famous basketball players shoot three pointers. We already have a three point competition. The game is boring af. 

I'm confused were there not plenty of high flying dunks and rad shit last night?   Dame hitting 3-4 straight from 30 ft was pretty fucking rad to me.   The NBA game is now much more about 3 pt shooting so of course the ASG will reflect that more than previously but the game was always a glorified pick up game with a little more intensity as it gets closer to crunch time.    Its never gonna have playoff intensity and it shouldn't.    It shouldn't even have reg season intensity.  

Just now, d2o said:

I'm confused were there not plenty of high flying dunks and rad shit last night?   Dame hitting 3-4 straight from 30 ft was pretty fucking rad to me.   The NBA game is now much more about 3 pt shooting so of course the ASG will reflect that more than previously but the game was always a glorified pick up game with a little more intensity as it gets closer to crunch time.    Its never gonna have playoff intensity and it shouldn't.    It shouldn't even have reg season intensity.  

Dude they only combined for 342 points. There just isn't enough scoring. 

i'd propose the following changes to the dunk contest:

• 7-8 judges rather than 5.  should allow for more varied scores.
  • your score is lowered by one point for every failed attempt.  if miss your first dunk, the highest score you can get is a 9.  if you miss twice, an 8. 
  • you get three tries at a dunk.  if you can make one of them, you automatically get a 3 from every judge.
  • each round is 3 dunks rather than 2.  this would allow a contestant to still advance if they have trouble with one of their dunks.
  • only one dunk per round can incorporate props or other people.  the other two are all you and the ball.

14 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

i'd propose the following changes to the dunk contest:

• 7-8 judges rather than 5.  should allow for more varied scores.
  • your score is lowered by one point for every failed attempt.  if miss your first dunk, the highest score you can get is a 9.  if you miss twice, an 8. 
  • you get three tries at a dunk.  if you can make one of them, you automatically get a 3 from every judge.
  • each round is 3 dunks rather than 2.  this would allow a contestant to still advance if they have trouble with one of their dunks.
  • only one dunk per round can incorporate props or other people.  the other two are all you and the ball.

Agree with most of these.    Most importantly, there should be a penalty for missing.    I might even give one grace miss but if you miss 3-4 times or more there is no way in hell you should get a 50 when you finally make it.

The reason they still give guys 7-8s on missed dunks is to try and keep the contest close.     For instance, in the finals when DSJ couldn't make his first dunk in the finals, if they gave him 3s then the contest is over and all Diallo would have to do is make his dunks.  They gave DSJ 7s and he got 35.    Diallo then did something pretty basic which only got like a 45 or so.   Then DSJ came back and got a 50 on the next dunk and the final score was like 85-83.   Closer than it really was honestly.

I think maybe if you give them 3 maybe even 4 dunks each in the finals and throw out the lowest score that would help with that though.

I also think only having 4 competitors is limiting the contest.   I know it might take longer but I think the competition would be raised with more guys dunking.

Definitely agree with limiting/eliminating props.   They've gotten ridiculous with them lately.

Oh and I think they should get away from 7-10 scale.   Use decimals.    They give guys 50s now all the time just cause it was a good dunk.    Every good dunk aint a 10.   10's should be GREAT dunks!!

Edited by d2o

1 hour ago, d2o said:

Shit. Was. Boring.

Winning players already get 100K for winning, but sadly that amount of money is pocket change for the best 24 NBA  players. Guys like KD and Lebron make so much money every year, financial motivation would be difficult.

In line with the tattoo contest above, winners get to choose a tattoo that every loser has to get inked with. If that's a thujone style cartoon cock, so be it....shouldn't have slacked off on D the first 45 minutes.

I don’t think any changes will ever be made and it will only get more annoying and more Hollywood to attract millennials. I won’t be surprised if next year they don’t have a rapper and 9 shitty dancers do a song In between quarters and all they do is wave their arms around and go yaw yawww yaw yawww yuhhhh and then back pack boys comes out doing his arm dance swinging. All star game is gay af now.

All-Star Weekend isn't made or promoted for most of Surly.  It's an event which is targeted at the younger audience or Millennials.  I used to love the dunk contest, 3 point contest and the actual game and while there are some small stylistic differences, I realized as I got older that the events haven't changed all that much, I have.  I watched about 10 minutes in the 2nd quarter last night (and caught the last 5 minutes on replay) and it was simply shitty basketball.  It's all the same criticisms, nobody plays defense, nobody cares that much, etc, etc.  And it was pretty much the same in the 90's and aughts, I simply was a kid or young and cared more. 

ASW is boring to me now.  I can watch some of the 3 point contest.  The dunk contest is aight, but most dunks have already been created, and it really needs star power.  I used to actually like the skills comp, but I don't even know if they still have it.  The game sucks.... it's sort of always sucked (just like the pro bowl).  Most of us aren't the target audience so instead of complaining about changes which aren't profitable for the league nor interesting to them, better to just do something else....

Yea everything has always been the same as far as the game and side events. I guess the worse part is just the pre game music and singer and dancers and announcement of players taking up a half hour is what makes it a beating for me. Style of play and mix that with a all star game really makes the game worse than its ever been as 150 three pointers taken is just insane but the game and all the gay ass stuff is targeted at 10-25 year olds that soak it up, tweet about it, instagram story it, Facebook live it, snap chatting everyone about it etc. and it’s only going to get worse and worse every year. Like I said in the above post, if they think morons and kids and millennials will watch they will have a different singer and dancer out at every timeout just to make more money woth more viewers.

On 2/17/2019 at 6:39 PM, aggie08 said:

Just pick the 24 best players, for starters. Fuck conferences. There exists no world where Khris Middleton and D'Angelo Russel should justly make an All-Star team ahead of Rudy Gobert. 

This. And as for the dunk contest, i have several ideas that could revamp it, and i might come back here later when i have more time and get into that, but my god, it would be so easy to fix in so many ways, it's just plain laziness that it's still this "blah" every year. Thankfully Zion and Ja Morant will di something about that next year.