Larry Fedora joining Texas staff as an analyst

Machinator

5 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Like adding an analyst with CFB Head Coaching experience.  Fedora went a little crazy with his comments on CTE his last season at UNC if I remember correctly.

What mistakes did Fedora make at UNC that caused such poor seasons in 2017 and 2018?

They got crushed with injuries in '17: https://247sports.com/college/north-carolina/Article/Injury-Toll-Hit-UNC-Tar-Heels-Hard-in-2017-112128756/

Not sure why they stayed so bad in '18.

5 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Like adding an analyst with CFB Head Coaching experience.  Fedora went a little crazy with his comments on CTE his last season at UNC if I remember correctly.

What mistakes did Fedora make at UNC that caused such poor seasons in 2017 and 2018?

A combination of injuries, poor roster management and player development (most significantly, he couldn't find a good Trubisky replacement), being a below-average in-game coach, and he couldn't replace the really good assistants he had earlier in his tenure (Seth Littrell is the most obvious example).

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Great pickup - he had some ridic offenses at Ok State

They were not bad offenses per se, but they were some of the least impressive of the Gundy era.   Fedora left in 2007.   Most of the great OSU offensive performances you are thinking of probably came after that.  

I think this is huge for the program.  Herman has indicated he doesn’t want to call plays.  I think he did last year because he doesn’t trust Beck to do it. Combine that with Herman not wanting to fire anybody and this may be the next best thing - bring in an experienced offensive mind and see if him and Beck can somehow figure out a way to call plays.  Maybe we’ll see both of them in the press box next year.

32 minutes ago, Machinator said:

A combination of injuries, poor roster management and player development (most significantly, he couldn't find a good Trubisky replacement), being a below-average in-game coach, and he couldn't replace the really good assistants he had earlier in his tenure (Seth Littrell is the most obvious example).

but besides all that?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

wonder what the rationale for him taking that position is? i would imagine being totally burned out on all the bullshit a HC deals with and just getting back to the basics of coaching football is a big draw for some folks in his position...?

Probably still feels the urge to coach and this is a good place to do it with minimal pressure. Great place to live, rising program, and he's close to his brother.

53 minutes ago, Machinator said:

And Mack Brown, who had most of these same qualities on the downslide at UT, replaced HIM?  Interdasting.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Native Horn said:

And Mack Brown, who had most of these same qualities on the downslide at UT, replaced HIM?  Interdasting.

The irony was not lost on me. That said, Mack's initial staff at UNC is very good and they're doing work on the recruiting trail early on.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Machinator said:

The irony was not lost on me. That said, Mack's initial staff at UNC is very good and they're doing work on the recruiting trail early on.

I think Brown will be successful in Chapel Hill, at least for a little while. I think he has a lot of pride that was hurt pretty bad by the way things ended here. I am certainly not calling him a victim in all that, but I think that Brown realizes that there is no ghost of Darrell Royal equivalent in North Carolina and that he has the ability to retire as clearly the best coach in Tarheel history if things go well. Heck, with his 4th win this season he will become the all time winningest UNC head coach.

The fact that Fedora has already been announced in a QC role gives me some more confidence that Beaty will have something more than just a QC role.  Otherwise, they would've announced it already.  But how Herman is going to figure all that out is still a bit of a mystery, obviously.

Total speculation but I wouldn't be shocked if Drayton is gone. His twitter has been completely dead for over 2 weeks now. He's not following recruits, he's not tweeting anything, he's not liking anything. 

Hand has also been following a lot of RB recruits like he's taking over that recruiting effort. 

The lack of activity from Drayton is odd if he's staying on staff. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Total speculation but I wouldn't be shocked if Drayton is gone. His twitter has been completely dead for over 2 weeks now. He's not following recruits, he's not tweeting anything, he's not liking anything. 

Hand has also been following a lot of RB recruits like he's taking over that recruiting effort. 

The lack of activity from Drayton is odd if he's staying on staff. 

Drayton's twitter has 253 tweets all time. Has it not always been dead? Serious question.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Drayton's twitter has 253 tweets all time. Has it not always been dead? Serious question.

Drayton isn't as active as other coaches but he normally follows recruits, likes a tweet, or tweets something every now and then. I haven't seen any activity at all in over 2 weeks. There's at least something that tells me he's alive whether it's a follow, like or tweet. 

But you are right. He's not nearly as active as the other coaches. 

Edited by texasstrong12

2 hours ago, Here’s the deal said:

I think this is huge for the program.  Herman has indicated he doesn’t want to call plays.  I think he did last year because he doesn’t trust Beck to do it. Combine that with Herman not wanting to fire anybody and this may be the next best thing - bring in an experienced offensive mind and see if him and Beck can somehow figure out a way to call plays.  Maybe we’ll see both of them in the press box next year.

Are analysts allowed in the coaches booth on game day?

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Is Beaty still a possible analyst candidate for Texas?

Just saw this saying Beaty still a possibility...

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-look-to-hire-Larry-Fedora-David-Beaty-129149214/

"In addition to Fedora, Horns247 has learned former Kansas head coach David Beaty could join the Longhorns' staff as an analyst as well. However, as Horns247 columnist Chip Brown reported last week, Beaty is currently undergoing a contract situation with Kansas that could hold up his availability."

Edited by LTtxfan

14 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Just saw this saying Beaty still a possibility...

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-look-to-hire-Larry-Fedora-David-Beaty-129149214/

"In addition to Fedora, Horns247 has learned former Kansas head coach David Beaty could join the Longhorns' staff as an analyst as well. However, as Horns247 columnist Chip Brown reported last week, Beaty is currently undergoing a contract situation with Kansas that could hold up his availability."

I may or may not be married to a realtor that may or may not have shown a house to a certain coach from Kansas recently. I can confirm he didn't buy the house she may or may not have shown him. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1