Larry Fedora joining Texas staff as an analyst

Machinator

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Appreciate it, amigo.

After reading that, I wonder if Beatty would also come on for a season. He and Fedora would be stellar. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana

4 hours ago, Katfid54 said:

The fact that Fedora has already been announced in a QC role gives me some more confidence that Beaty will have something more than just a QC role.  Otherwise, they would've announced it already.  But how Herman is going to figure all that out is still a bit of a mystery, obviously.

Anwar says Beatty “is still working out contract issues”, but he’s likely to join once resolved. That could be interpreted a number of ways. As I understand it, taking a QC role does not impact contractual obligations from the school... so there wouldn’t be anything to negoatiate as it relates to him becoming an analyst. But if he were accepting a coaching position, that could be a cause for negotiation.

On the other hand, it could be any number of things totally unrelated to whatever position he is planning to take elsewhere

5 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

I think Brown will be successful in Chapel Hill, at least for a little while. I think he has a lot of pride that was hurt pretty bad by the way things ended here. I am certainly not calling him a victim in all that, but I think that Brown realizes that there is no ghost of Darrell Royal equivalent in North Carolina and that he has the ability to retire as clearly the best coach in Tarheel history if things go well. Heck, with his 4th win this season he will become the all time winningest UNC head coach.

Fourth win THIS season?  You’re definitely an optimistic feller.

1 hour ago, Par4 said:

I may or may not be married to a realtor that may or may not have shown a house to a certain coach from Kansas recently. I can confirm he didn't buy the house she may or may not have shown him. 

So what you’re saying is Beaty boned your wife? Got it.

we all appreciate her dedication to the UT football program.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, 6th Street said:

I think Mack can turn NC back into an 8-9 win program, but Clemson will be his new "scares you to death" program. 

That's about what I expect too. He'll win 8-9 games a season in a terrible division and lose to Clemson by 30-40 points.

42 minutes ago, Chad said:

That's about what I expect too. He'll win 8-9 games a season in a terrible division and lose to Clemson by 30-40 points.

Clemson will always crush him, but I believe that soon he'll be on par with a group fighting for the #2 spot in the entire ACC.

-Miami should be a tough game
-FSU sucks
-Soon he'll be ahead of NCSU
-One of UVA or Va Tech will suck and the other will be comparable
-Louisville is on the way down
-Boston College will be below UNC by 2020, if not 2019
-Syracuse should be ahead of UNC for at least a couple of years
-Notre Dame (that plays almost a full ACC schedule) will be better than UNC for at least a couple of year, but could see a dip again.
-Duke, without their QB, maybe drop below UNC as soon as 2019.
-Georgia Tech is currently on a down cycle, I believe.
-Pittsburgh will be below them and...
-Wake Forest will suck ass now that Mack is back in recruiting mode for a couple of years.

So really I could see 10 win seasons (including bowl games) as soon as the 2020 season. Especially if they get in on that transfer portal this off-season. The transfer portal could be a gold mine for Mack & Brewster this year and next.

2019 Season:
HOME to South Carolina (W)
HOME to Miami (W)
ROAD @ Wake Forest (W)
HOME to Appalachian State (L)
HOME to Clemson (L)
ROAD @ Georgia Tech (W)
ROAD @ Virginia Tech (W)
HOME to Duke (W)
HOME to Virginia (L)
ROAD to Pittsburgh (L)
HOME to Mercer (W)
ROAD @ NC State (L)

First year he could end up 7-5 going into a bowl game.

By second year I would expect at least 8-9 wins going into the bowl game and after that 9 to 10 wins/year.

2020 Season: 0 to 4 losses (NO Notre Dame, NO Syracuse, NO Louisville, & NO Clemson)
@ UCF
HOME to Auburn
HOME to Old Dominion
HOME to James Madison
@ Boston College
@ Duke
@ Miami
HOME to Ga Tech
HOME to NC State
HOME to Pitt
HOME to Va Tech
@ UVA

Edited by Napoleon

12 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Clemson will always crush him, but I believe that soon he'll be on par with a group fighting for the #2 spot in the entire ACC.

-Miami should be a tough game
-FSU sucks
-Soon he'll be ahead of NCSU
-One of UVA or Va Tech will suck and the other will be comparable
-Louisville is on the way down
-Boston College will be below UNC by 2020, if not 2019
-Syracuse should be ahead of UNC for at least a couple of years
-Notre Dame (that plays almost a full ACC schedule) will be better than UNC for at least a couple of year, but could see a dip again.
-Duke, without their QB, maybe drop below UNC as soon as 2019.
-Georgia Tech is currently on a down cycle, I believe.
-Pittsburgh will be below them and...
-Wake Forest will suck ass now that Mack is back in recruiting mode for a couple of years.

So really I could see 10 win seasons (including bowl games) as soon as the 2020 season. Especially if they get in on that transfer portal this off-season. The transfer portal could be a gold mine for Mack & Brewster this year and next.

2019 Season:
HOME to South Carolina (W)
HOME to Miami (W)
ROAD @ Wake Forest (W)
HOME to Appalachian State (L)
HOME to Clemson (L)
ROAD @ Georgia Tech (W)
ROAD @ Virginia Tech (W)
HOME to Duke (W)
HOME to Virginia (L)
ROAD to Pittsburgh (L)
HOME to Mercer (W)
ROAD @ NC State (L)

First year he could end up 7-5 going into a bowl game.

By second year I would expect at least 8-9 wins going into the bowl game and after that 9 to 10 wins/year.

2020 Season: 0 to 4 losses (NO Notre Dame, NO Syracuse, NO Louisville, & NO Clemson)
@ UCF
HOME to Auburn
HOME to Old Dominion
HOME to James Madison
@ Boston College
@ Duke
@ Miami
HOME to Ga Tech
HOME to NC State
HOME to Pitt
HOME to Va Tech
@ UVA

So you’re saying 2020’s their year? Hmm, where have I heard that before?

On 2/18/2019 at 12:00 PM, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

wonder what the rationale for him taking that position is? i would imagine being totally burned out on all the bullshit a HC deals with and just getting back to the basics of coaching football is a big draw for some folks in his position...?

On 2/18/2019 at 12:04 PM, Machinator said:

Probably still feels the urge to coach and this is a good place to do it with minimal pressure. Great place to live, rising program, and he's close to his brother.

Agree with Machinator, who also found this article that shows some Bama analysts moving up to other coaching jobs.....

https://247sports.com/college/alabama/Article/Tracking-Alabama-Footballs-off-the-field-staff-changes-128028255/

On 2/18/2019 at 1:30 PM, Xminus6 said:

The Analyst job doesn't affect his buyout from his previous contract like a coaching position would.

Also forgot to mention this great post that explains why Fedora might take an analyst job...

Fedora may be willing to take smaller salary as analyst at Texas until the N.Carolina buyout is finished.  Being an analyst allows him to sharpen his skills and football knowledge, with less stress for a year or two until he finds his next OC or Head Coach opportunity.

Edited by LTtxfan

On 2/18/2019 at 12:04 PM, Machinator said:

Probably still feels the urge to coach and this is a good place to do it with minimal pressure. Great place to live, rising program, and he's close to his brother.

Pretty good read on Lee Fedora.  The more connections to Texas high school coaches on our staff, the better: 

http://texashsfootball.com/lee-fedora-back-where-began-am-consolidated/

• Like 1

19 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Also forgot to mention this great post that explains why Fedora might take an analyst job...

Fedora may be willing to take smaller salary as analyst at Texas until the N.Carolina buyout is finished.  Being an analyst allows him to sharpen his skills and football knowledge, with less stress for a year or two until he finds his next OC or Head Coach opportunity.

Butch Jones only paid $35k as Analyst last year by Bama because he's still receiving Tennessee buyout money thru 2019 Season.

"Jones collected $2.81 million in buyout payments through the end of 2018, according to records obtained by The News Sentinel via a public records request. He’s due more than $2.4 million in buyout payments throughout 2019, according to the terms of his contract and taking his analyst salary into account."

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/college/university-of-tennessee/football/2019/02/18/ut-vols-butch-jones-buyout-alabama-analyst-salary-nick-saban/2905032002/

Edited by LTtxfan

On 2/18/2019 at 5:12 PM, Spider2YBanana said:

What does an analyst do, exactly? Breakdown film, etc? Sorry, I really don't know. Are they allowed to recruit if another guy is pulled off the trail?

Anwar:

I have been asked so much about the analyst position at Texas that I made flushing out those details for you my top priority this week.

Earlier this week, I reported North Carolina coach Larry Fedora accepted an analyst position at Texas. He flew into Austin last week and attended a staff meeting. After discussing the opportunity with his family, Fedora decided to take the job and will join Herman’s support staff.

Here is a little nugget for you – Fedora should be in Austin by the first week of March, according to my sources.

Okay, so what the heck is Fedora’s job, Anwar?

Typically, analysts do a lot of dirty work. They break down film, chase kids around campus and make sure players are in class, making playbooks, etc. Just think about what your first job looked like.

Fedora is going to do way more than that.

As a former coach, Fedora’s skills will be utilized more during the regular season. That is why he will be asked to do advanced scouting by always staying a week or two ahead. Some of his tasks will involve self-scouting. He will also have the task of scouting opposing teams.

I asked a source to give me an example and was given a scenario.

Herman could approach Fedora and say he heard Oklahoma is really good at running counter plays. Fedora could be asked to pull all the counter plays Oklahoma has run and analyze why the team is successful. After completing that task, Fedora could be asked to present his findings to Herman, or the entire staff.

Fedora will also need to compile scouting reports on opponents. Not a game plan, but a scouting report that entails the strengths and weaknesses of an opponent. Basically, share with the staff everything he sees on video.

The advantage for Texas is having a veteran coach share his expertise with Herman’s staff. Instead of getting that information from a young person who is learning on the job, Herman can hear an analysis from a former coach who is an expert in his profession.

Conversely, the advantage for Fedora is his buyout if worth over $12 million, and this analyst job does not affect that paycheck. Fedora will receive medical benefits as an analyst. In addition, Fedora gets to experience at least nine months of tossing ideas back-and-forth with Herman and discovering a different approach to coaching and running a program. Coaches attend clinics each year, while staffs often visit different programs to exchange ideas. Fedora’s new position is similar to those traditional experiences.

Additionally, Fedora will receive a break from the pressure of recruiting. Fedora can help Texas recruit players on campus (he is not allowed to travel). However, anything thing he contributes will be viewed as a bonus and not a requirement.

Two more analyst nuggets to pass along:

1. A person close to Herman told me Fedora was not hired under the guise of him replacing anyone on staff. During a staff meeting Fedora attended, I was told Herman made it clear to everyone the former coach will be an analyst and this position is not a job interview.

2. There is a possibility Herman will hire six or seven analysts, with three of those positions filled by former head coaches and at least three grad assistants. Former Kansas coach David Beaty is a candidate for an analyst position at Texas, but I do not currently have names of other coaches who could be in the mix. I will keep you posted.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Anwar:

I have been asked so much about the analyst position at Texas that I made flushing out those details for you my top priority this week.

Earlier this week, I reported North Carolina coach Larry Fedora accepted an analyst position at Texas. He flew into Austin last week and attended a staff meeting. After discussing the opportunity with his family, Fedora decided to take the job and will join Herman’s support staff.

Here is a little nugget for you – Fedora should be in Austin by the first week of March, according to my sources.

Okay, so what the heck is Fedora’s job, Anwar?

Typically, analysts do a lot of dirty work. They break down film, chase kids around campus and make sure players are in class, making playbooks, etc. Just think about what your first job looked like.

Fedora is going to do way more than that.

As a former coach, Fedora’s skills will be utilized more during the regular season. That is why he will be asked to do advanced scouting by always staying a week or two ahead. Some of his tasks will involve self-scouting. He will also have the task of scouting opposing teams.

I asked a source to give me an example and was given a scenario.

Herman could approach Fedora and say he heard Oklahoma is really good at running counter plays. Fedora could be asked to pull all the counter plays Oklahoma has run and analyze why the team is successful. After completing that task, Fedora could be asked to present his findings to Herman, or the entire staff.

Fedora will also need to compile scouting reports on opponents. Not a game plan, but a scouting report that entails the strengths and weaknesses of an opponent. Basically, share with the staff everything he sees on video.

The advantage for Texas is having a veteran coach share his expertise with Herman’s staff. Instead of getting that information from a young person who is learning on the job, Herman can hear an analysis from a former coach who is an expert in his profession.

Conversely, the advantage for Fedora is his buyout if worth over $12 million, and this analyst job does not affect that paycheck. Fedora will receive medical benefits as an analyst. In addition, Fedora gets to experience at least nine months of tossing ideas back-and-forth with Herman and discovering a different approach to coaching and running a program. Coaches attend clinics each year, while staffs often visit different programs to exchange ideas. Fedora’s new position is similar to those traditional experiences.

Additionally, Fedora will receive a break from the pressure of recruiting. Fedora can help Texas recruit players on campus (he is not allowed to travel). However, anything thing he contributes will be viewed as a bonus and not a requirement.

Two more analyst nuggets to pass along:

1. A person close to Herman told me Fedora was not hired under the guise of him replacing anyone on staff. During a staff meeting Fedora attended, I was told Herman made it clear to everyone the former coach will be an analyst and this position is not a job interview.

2. There is a possibility Herman will hire six or seven analysts, with three of those positions filled by former head coaches and at least three grad assistants. Former Kansas coach David Beaty is a candidate for an analyst position at Texas, but I do not currently have names of other coaches who could be in the mix. I will keep you posted.

Thank you

• Haha 1

On 2/21/2019 at 6:00 AM, LTtxfan said:

Butch Jones only paid $35k as Analyst last year by Bama because he's still receiving Tennessee buyout money thru 2019 Season.

"Jones collected $2.81 million in buyout payments through the end of 2018, according to records obtained by The News Sentinel via a public records request. He’s due more than $2.4 million in buyout payments throughout 2019, according to the terms of his contract and taking his analyst salary into account."

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/college/university-of-tennessee/football/2019/02/18/ut-vols-butch-jones-buyout-alabama-analyst-salary-nick-saban/2905032002/

If I had to guess, they're paid just enough to make them exempt employees.

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 11:25 AM, LTtxfan said:

And they sure need some time on the whet stone.   Fedora made the worst call I've seen in a few years.  UNC fair caught a punt at the 2 with about 15 seconds left in the half.  They could kneel out for half time instead.

1st Down, :15  quick out pass goes through defenders hands

2nd down, :12 shotgun formation, zone read, tackled for safety.  Thanks Larry

Edited by notre dame joe

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, SubliminalHorn said:

He should have told Tom to kick the FG the second time 

Or told him to keep an eye on the fucking clock in the 4th quarter.   I’m still fucking seething about how much time they wasted in the last 6-7 minutes of the game.  You get that luxury of letting the clock run down when you’re ahead by a couple of scores,  not behind.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Ole Miss: Larry Fedora is “being mentioned” for the Ole Miss head coaching job tweets  Brad Logan of the Jackson Clarion-Ledger. Before serving as head coach at North Carolina, Fedora was head coach at Southern Miss 2008-11 going 7-6, 7-6, 8-5, 12-2 in those four seasons.