Veep (final season) - March 31

Js1

3 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

What a great finale.  The comedy never fell off.   And the most brilliant part, I think, is how the writers subtly subverted the cynicism of the entire show with the mentions of two terms of Kemi and then Richard, the latter of whom brings peace to the Middle East.  We've been watching the hilariously awful sociopaths running the government on this show, but it's more about those people than an inevitability in our political system.   America will actually get through it in the end.   Loved it. 

I don’t know, it was good but It felt too dark for my taste. Think that caused it to be just one small level lower of funny than some of the other episodes. Still better than 99% of tv out there but I just can’t bring myself to think it was one of their greatest episodes. Good night great, but that is probably cause I’m a little sad it’s over.

Good catch on the eventual hope with kemi and splett but Selena selling out 100% to win and ending up all alone was kinda sad. Selena didn’t care for the daughter but still sad to see  the first daughter margarita celebrating at home during the wake. Selena never saw Gary again. Selena had no close confidants ever again. She had one term. Wasn’t there a line on the show that one termers don’t get a library? Or did I just imagine that? Or does she only get one due to the two term rule?

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

And that Jonah got his ass impeached.  

And speaking of one term, can VPs get impeached? Or do they have to be president to be impeached? So much trump shade thrown there, it was hilarious. But I’m guessing Something else bad must have happened to Selena which caused the one term and for Jonah to be temporary president/impeached.  Unless VPs can be but I heave no clue.

i liked it a lot but just felt hella dark, lot of viciousness in the cutdowns that I didn’t feel in other seasons 

Edited by achooloco

The vice president can be impeached just like the president.

Article 2, Section 4: "The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors."

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, achooloco said:

Good catch on the eventual hope with kemi and splett but Selena selling out 100% to win and ending up all alone was kinda sad. Selena didn’t care for the daughter but still sad to see  the first daughter margarita celebrating at home during the wake. Selena never saw Gary again. Selena had no close confidants ever again. She had one term. Wasn’t there a line on the show that one termers don’t get a library? Or did I just imagine that? Or does she only get one due to the two term rule?

Jimmy Carter has a library.

H.W. Bush has a library.

Ford has a library.

1 hour ago, PilotsError said:

Final five minutes on the show was fucking dark.  

I think the show did a good job over the course of all the seasons transitioning the audience's opinion of Selena from lovable narcissist to full blown sociopath. They just gave it full throttle in the last 5 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

so this is another one that i am way behind in finally watching 😁

it's funny. hysterically funny, JLD is incredible...but i just finished the POTUS resigning episode ('Crate") and almost peed myself laughing so hard at the bathroom scene. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

it made me go find this thread. good lord 🤣

the show is so funny, bur it's generally so rapid fire one-line-after-another there's not a lot of time to breath and lolol in between...but that scene was something else 🤣

whew, i don't know that i've ever laughed that hard at a tv show 🤣🤣🤣

anyway...JLD's wardrobe deserved an award itself. gorgeous.

• Like 1

so this is another one that i am way behind in finally watching
it's funny. hysterically funny, JLD is incredible...but i just finished the POTUS resigning episode ('Crate") and almost peed myself laughing so hard at the bathroom scene.
it made me go find this thread. good lord
the show is so funny, bur it's generally so rapid fire one-line-after-another there's not a lot of time to breath and lolol in between...but that scene was something else
whew, i don't know that i've ever laughed that hard at a tv show
anyway...JLD's wardrobe deserved an award itself. gorgeous.
Yeah the one liners are so stacked that it often gets funnier on the second viewing.

Veep continues to be #1 in my book in terms of the sheer artistry of insults/putdowns that were delivered.
  • Like 1

You also have to give the directors and director of photography a lot of credit.  Usually in comedy, either the writing and delivery are there or they aren't...no camera angle is gonna save you.  But there's so many hilarious scenes in Veep where somebody is mumbling something in the background, or somebody is throwing out an insult as they're walking away and you can't quite make it out (hence the captions), or turning a corner while talking and delivering a funny line.  The mockumentary comedies try and do this but it's still a little forced.  But the cameras on Veep...instead of focus in on joke/insult delivery, pan out to see how everybody responds...standard comedy shoot; they just sort of film it au natural.  And it works brilliantly 99% of the time.  That's how comedy works in real life, sometimes the way somebody else laughs at a joke halfway across the room is funnier than the person it was aimed at.  Anyway, really miss this show.  Really helped us get through 2019. 

NoCR/ but we're all lying if we say we didn't, at some point in the last 4 months, imagine what a walk-and-talk-and-insult scene would have played out like as Selina was being rushed out of the Capitol during a violent insurrection.  The panic from Gary and Amy, the calm demeanor Kent calculating their best odds of survival, Ben getting drunk with a hip flask like "Fuck it, this is how it all ends", Jonah naively giving tours to armed patriots because they told him they wanted to see the Standard Time exhibit inside the House Chambers and Uncle Jeff inexplicably pops up to tell him, "You arrogant sentient pustule...you've killed us.", and then they all turn a corner and think they're doomed.  But who should pop up?  Richard Splett, "Oh hello, ma'am.  If you'll just follow me, I have the tunnel system memorized from a civil engineering project I did as 4 year old Lego prodigy (takes off sportcoat to reveal badass Tac Vest and multiple weapons).  Should it come to it ma'am, I can shoot out way out of here.  Probably never mentioned I'm a proficient marksmen and I train Marine snipers on the weekends."  

And JLD somehow got sexier as the show went on.  She's more gorgeous now than she was on "New Adventures of Old Christine."  

Edited by Lobo

3 hours ago, APMP said:

Yeah the one liners are so stacked that it often gets funnier on the second viewing.

Veep continues to be #1 in my book in terms of the sheer artistry of insults/putdowns that were delivered.

Some artists use paint on a canvas, others use clay or musical instruments... Armando Ianucci works in layered, voluminous and hilarious insults/putdowns. 

I'm sure most Veep fans have seen it, but if you haven't, go watch "In the Loop" right now. It's basically proto-Veep, and it's fucking amazing.  (You'll also notice several future Veep cast members).

• 1 year later...
On 4/23/2021 at 2:47 PM, Beau Vine said:

I can rewatch this show 100 times, and probably will.  But the pre-jogging conversation, "Hey, do you move like Will?"  And the way that actor delivers the response absolutely fucking kills me.  That scene, when the Veep is speaking with the doctor and Catherine in hospital........and every fucking scene with Gary absolutely kill me.  I can't not cry.

• Haha 2