Surly Cricket Thread

APMP

Jeet Raval has to be one of the worst openers in test cricket today.  

Starc was sledging the shit out of him the over before he took his wicket saying shit like "Better run that one out mate.  Might be the last chance of your career."  Followed up with "Hey mate, Melbourne's great at Christmas especially since you're not going to be playing."

I mean I like some trash talk in sports, but Aussies have always been total pricks about it.

On 12/15/2019 at 1:38 AM, Fudge Nuggets said:

FYI, the willow.tv subscription finally pays off.  They have teamed up with hotstar to show the India / West Indies ODI at no extra charge through any existing willow subscription.

How much is the Willow subscription? I see the channel on my old Roku 3. 

Fantastic run chase by Shardul Thakur (17 from 6) to doom West Indies despite some good takes by Keemo Paul. It's the fighting Slingas in T20s next after the new decade starts.

22 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

How much is the Willow subscription? I see the channel on my old Roku 3. 

Fantastic run chase by Shardul Thakur (17 from 6) to doom West Indies despite some good takes by Keemo Paul. It's the fighting Slingas in T20s next after the new decade starts.

Streaming channel was $45 per year when I signed up back in September.  Xfinity wants $15 per month to add it to a current cable package.  You get more fixtures with the cable version, but not enough in my opinion to justify the cost.  If streaming willow continues to team up with hotstar then it’s really a no brainer. 

Forgot to add that I miss the seagulls at the MCG.  They added character but I can see they would be a huge annoyance to fans and players.
It's all fun and games until you get shit on.

By seagulls if you're a fan.

By Steve Smith if you're an opposing player.

By "integrity of the game" if you're Steve Smith.

It's the "summer" of Marnus.  203* in the third test against NZ.  Dude has come out of no where to be the best test batsman in the world this summer.

He may not have got a chance to break into the side if Jofra Archer hadn't beaned Steve Smith in the Ashes.  Probably safe to say he has ended Usman Khawaja's Australia test career.

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Anyone catch the ODI between AUS and India today in Mumbai?  Looks like AUS went in dry as India couldn't take a single wicket.

India got totally outclassed. Bowled out for 255 on a completely flat pitch, and then Warner and Finch completely tore the bowling attack apart. Bumrah and Shami got carted for more than 7 an over.

The entire top order fell to poorly thought-out shots. The bowling attack kept serving up half-volleys and didn't adjust their length until the 20th over. Complete bloodbath.

It did give us this nice frustrated Kohli-montage, though.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Nice effort by KLR and Iyer to take the first T20I against NZ. The bowlers are still getting worked, but NZ isn’t known for bowler friendly pitches/ grounds.  

Full replay of that match is available on ESPN+.

It was a good run chase. KL Rahul is learning to slot himself anywhere in the batting lineup. If he can continue to improve behind the stumps, Rishabh Pant better watch out.

I didn't realize Deepak Chahar was injured. I was looking for him to be in the playing XI. He's essential to lengthen the batting unit especially if India is batting first.

It was also good to see Kohli pull his head out of his ass and contribute for a change.  He has performed less than ideal recently.

It’s probably blasphemy to say this, but I wish Rohit Sharma would take over the captaincy.  Kohli makes some of the strangest moves at times.  Sharma’s MI squads seem to always be well prepared and know what to do.

3 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

It was also good to see Kohli pull his head out of his ass and contribute for a change.  He has performed less than ideal recently.

It’s probably blasphemy to say this, but I wish Rohit Sharma would take over the captaincy.  Kohli makes some of the strangest moves at times.  Sharma’s MI squads seem to always be well prepared and know what to do.

I don't think it's blasphemy, at least for the shorter formats. But that being said, in the last several matches Rohit's performance with the bat hasn't been to his standard either.

I'm watching the 2nd T20I live on ESPN+. It seems to be a Sky Sports New Zealand feed - not too bad. Rohit Sharma just got caught by the slip on the edge. Last match he got out for 7, this match he got out for 8. India is chasing 132, but the ball is starting to turn on the pitch. Hopefully they chase it down.

5 hours ago, APMP said:

Rahul and Iyer took it down without breaking a sweat

There were some missed direct hit, run out chances by the Black Caps. The wicket became less batting friendly as the match went on. Really, the Black Caps are hapless with their bowling attack missing Trent Boult and Lockie Ferguson. But that's how the sport is. India is missing Bhuvneshwar Kumar (but Mohammed Shami is filling in well). 

I hope India wins the 3rd T20I and then starts letting others get time in the last two T20Is including Kuldeep Yadav, Rishabh Pant, Navdeep Saini (who apparent has been severely jet lagged), and Sanju Samson. Pant and Samson especially because it's always good to have wicket keeping options warm with bat and glove, although KL Rahul has been stellar as of late.

17 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Sounds like the third T20 was a doozy. India win in the Super Over because Rohit Sharma is a bad man with a cricket bat 🏏 

Wish I watched it live. Mohammed Shami successfully defended 9 runs in the final over after he gave up a 6 on the first ball. He then went on to dismiss Kane Williamson and on the final ball where NZ required 1 run off of one 1 delivery, he bowled Ross Taylor to force the Super Over.

• 2 weeks later...

Good grief, I was just about to post about the comical batting of Pujara sitting at 11 runs off 80 balls with one ball left before tea break and the stupid fucker gets bowled on a ball that wasn't anything special.

Kohli to come in after the break.  Given his recent form, not a lot of optimism here. 

Edited by Fudge Nuggets

Kane Williamson returns the favor and also gets out for three.  If India can get a couple of more wickets fairly soon then they are right back in it.

And yeah, India's tail is absolute rubbish.  The openers aren't that great at the moment without Sharma (Shaw did good yesterday) and the middle is overrated.  Other than that, batting is fine 😎  Mix in a bowling attack that's missing Ishant Sharma, a Bumrah that's not on his A-game, no Bhuvi and it will be a miracle to get a draw.

Despite taking 5 wickets in the first session and two quick wickets to start the second session, India let NZ get right back in it.  India lead by 7 going into the second innings.

India's inability to clean up a tail haunts again.  How many more test matches would India have won over the last couple of decades with a tail destroyer like Mitchell Starc in the bowling lineup?

It's getting time for Kohli to relinquish the captaincy and take some rest, I think. We've now lost eight Tests since the South Africa tour, and Kohli's scored 38 with a paltry 9.5 avg. Let Rahul or Iyer captain the team for the upcoming ODI series, and give Shubman Gill the #3 slot in place of Kohli.

Edited by satyanash

I always felt Rohit Sharma would be the best capitan, but he’s “hurt” and isn’t expected back until the IPL starts up at the end of the month.  Guess that shows his priorities so maybe my assessment is wrong.  I would be ok with KLR or Iyer, but the numbnutts at BCCI will probably try to entice Dhoni to come back.

Edited by Fudge Nuggets
damn autocorrect