Surly Cricket Thread

APMP

• 2 weeks later...

Well, nothing going on in the greatest game until mid June at the earliest.  Might as well relive some history.

I'll start with a video on the West Indies teams from their glory days.  These were my all time favorites.

I watched this entire WC Tournament from a roadside Indian restaurant outside my condo in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia.  Me and the Indian fellows were in pure awe of Ponting's performance in the finals.

Carlos Brathwaite, remember the name!!!

Ball of the century:

I'm purposely leaving England out of this post because they are pure cunts.  So let's go with some South Africa heartbreak.  Lord knows there is plenty to choose from.

Sri Lanka hey day

New Zealand has never won fuck all, but a great finish here...

Ahhhh... let's give the Saffers a little love.  CSB, friend of mine from South Africa has a wife that worked in the hotel that the SA team stayed in night before.  She swears Gibbs was still in the bar pounding drinks at 3:00 in the morning the day of this match.

And finally, some of the absolute best test cricket ever played.  This single innings by Laxman and Dravid made teams scared as hell to enforce a follow-on.  Also note, that Australia team was freaking stacked.

What have you?

Edited by Fudge Nuggets
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

They got in a whopping 17.4 overs of play.  After a three hour delay of the start, they played about 10 minutes then 15 minute delay.  Played another 15 minutes another delay.  I gave up after that.

I hope the test winds up a draw due to rain and England misses the Test World Cup finals because of those points.  They are not likely to make it any way since Aus, India and NZ are likely to finish ahead of them; but England seems to lead a charmed life and the ECB stacks the deck in their favor them at every chance.

Lunch on day three and Windies are 159/3 and trail by 45 runs.  Holder took six wickets and Gabriel grabbed the other four in England’s first innings.  

In those same innings, Windies challenged six umpire decisions and FIVE were overturned.  The umpiring has been just shit so far in favor of the Poms, but what else is new?

Stumps at day three and Windies lead by 99 runs.  I was hoping Windies could have broken up the opening partnership in England's first ten overs of the second innings but they couldn't quite pull it off.  England batsmen had some pretty good leaves that just barely missed the stumps.

Hell of a first innings with the gloves and in the crease for Shane Dowrich.  Holder and Gabriel deserve the credit for keeping England in check, but Dowrich was also a key contributor for the Windies' having this lead.

With Root back, Denly gets dropped from the England side.  Yeah, no big shock there.

I would love to see the Windies smash Crawley's wicket for something like 2 - 5 to put some trepidation in his mind.  He was cocky AF after his "amazing" 76.

F England.  Go Windies!!!!!

"When I run up to the crease, that batsman, he wasn't a human... he was a target." - Michael Holding "The Whispering Death"

• 2 weeks later...

Welp, since the victory in the first test match the Windies have been thoroughly shit stomped. Bowling has been shit, batting is shit, fielding is shit. Other than that I guess it’s been ok. Looks like the team that won the toss is going to lose all three tests. 

My man Cornwall got to play the third test so that’s cool. 

Edited by Fudge Nuggets

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dream 11 IPL 2020 starts next Saturday.  It looks like the Willow app will be streaming it and since they are playing in UAE all the matches start around 9:00 Houston time instead of the God awful hours they normally start.

I'm pulling for the Delhi Capitals.  No idea why, other than last year they seemed to have a lot of young talent that was starting to come on.  Tired of the same old CSK and MI every fucking year.

But overall, as long as the cheat ass bastards from Chennai don't win it (and they look to probably finish near the bottom of the table); I really don't care.  Mainly I just want to see who from the young group of unknowns might start to rise up.

Edited by Fudge Nuggets

• 2 weeks later...

Hell of an ODI yesterday in the final match of the series between ENG and AUS.  Starc took wickets in the first two balls of the match but ENG behind a Bairstow century and some absolute shit death bowling by AUS bounce back to put up 302.

AUS looked like they were mailing it in when Labuschagne got run out to make it 5/75 especially with the woes of AUS middle order. 

Carey sitting on 9 gets caught at third man by Rashid on an absolutely stupid shot for the sixth wicket but wait, Archer was over the line for a NB so Carey survived. He goes on to put up a century and Maxwell does too with some absolute moonshots put in for good measure. 

Going into the last over AUS need 10 to win with Starc on strike and Cummins at the other end. In what has to be one of the most stupid decisions in captaincy history, Morgan brings in Rashid to bowl the last over even though both T Curran and Wood are available. 

Starc promptly knocks the first ball for six then clinches the win with a four.  AUS take the series 2-1 and give ENG their first ODI home series loss in five years.

ENG are lucky to avoid the white wash as AUS dominated Game 2 until their middle order went something stupid like 6/5 over a 7 over stretch. In all AUS probably outplayed ENG for the entire tour ever so slightly and they aren’t that great compared to some of their past teams. 

Apparently to watch the IPL on Willow you have to have a TV Everywhere subscription, whatever that is.  I caught the MI vs CSK match on a pirate website and the quality of play was atrocious.  I get it, these guys haven't played cricket in a long while but it looked like over half the players did nothing but sit on their asses and eat during the lockdown.  Bunch of fatties out there giving very little effort and fielding in particular was complete shit.

Maybe the quality will pick up when they start to knock off the rust or there is a match between two teams that half the players don't belong in an old folks home.

Hell of a match today at the Sharjah Driving Range Cricket Ground.  KXIP behind Mayank Agarwal's 106 off 50 and KL Rahul's 69 off 54 cruised to set a target of 224 to win for RR.  RR started off nicely with a nice knock from Steve Smith (50 off 27) and Sanju Samson went off with 85 off 42.  Still, when Samson got out they were still down 62 runs after the first ball of the 17th over.  At one point they needed 78 off 28 balls.

Until then Rahul Tewatia had been absolute ass with the bat.  At one point he was something like 7 off 18.  It was so bad Samson started to refuse singles just so he could stay on strike.  Never mind that bullshit, Tewatia went bezerker after Samson departed including five 6's against Cottrell in the 17th over.  RR chase it down and win it with three balls to spare in what is now the highest run chase in the history of the IPL.

Edited by Fudge Nuggets

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2020 at 4:06 PM, Fudge Nuggets said:

cricket.thumb.jpg.e0121680d9a3a2e03d181214748f2ae5.jpg

The caption that went along with this screen cap, "boys, we rolled em for 31 so we better get a 1400 lead just to be safe. U never know what they might knock up in the second innings."

At least Salunke picked up his run rate in the second innings...if your looking for positives.  :D

Kohli will only play in the first test in Australia because he wants to be back home for the birth of his child.  Because of the COVID quarantine restrictions he won't be able to make it back for the last three tests.  He is playing in the limited over matches before the tests.  

The tour is 4 tests and 3 ODIs and 3 T20s.  That's a long time to be in a COVID bubble.   

I think it is possible due to how the ICC decided to deal with pandemic-caused cancellations. Last I read, instead of assuming draws and awarding equal points, they are going to decide the standings based on a percentage of possible points won. India could easily drop out of the top 2 in terms of percentage of points won if they get hammered against Australia.

IND should make the finals but you never know until everything is done and dusted.  If AUS whitewash IND then ENG can sneak in if they win 3 / draw 2 or win 4 lose 1 in the five test series in India.  Odds of all that happening are very low but not impossible.

Or my math could be all fucked up, that's not out of the realm of possibility.

10 hours ago, APMP said:

I think it is possible due to how the ICC decided to deal with pandemic-caused cancellations. Last I read, instead of assuming draws and awarding equal points, they are going to decide the standings based on a percentage of possible points won. India could easily drop out of the top 2 in terms of percentage of points won if they get hammered against Australia.

5 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

IND should make the finals but you never know until everything is done and dusted.  If AUS whitewash IND then ENG can sneak in if they win 3 / draw 2 or win 4 lose 1 in the five test series in India.  Odds of all that happening are very low but not impossible.

Or my math could be all fucked up, that's not out of the realm of possibility.

I guess I forgot that the top two in the table play for the World Cup Test format. The good news is that Wriddiman Saha should be good to go, but will Ajinyka Rahane actually be able to step in and do a good job as acting captain when Kohli is on paternity leave? The good thing is that Rohit Sharma should be able to help out, although Rohit should focus more on his fitness and getting rid of his dad bod.

Edited by UDontKnow

International cricket season gets started again this week and I can't freaking wait.

From Thursday night to Friday morning we have India vs Australia ODI, West Indies vs New Zealand T20i and England vs South Africa T20i all starting up. Those tours plus a Pakistan tour of New Zealand get us to mid January then a month break before AUS and Bangladesh tour New Zealand that runs through end of March.

It's also starting to sound like the England / India tests are going to be moved to UAE due to COVID-19.  That probably helps England but not enough to take 4/5 tests - I hope.

On 11/17/2020 at 11:06 PM, UDontKnow said:

The good thing is that Rohit Sharma should be able to help out, although Rohit should focus more on his fitness and getting rid of his dad bod.

Rohit ruled out for the first two tests.  Funny how he can be full strength in the IPL finals and now is unavailable again.  Last year he couldn’t go for the ODIs and Tests against NZ but was going to be available for the IPL before it was postponed.  This guy cares more about Mumbai Indians than team India.  I’m tired of his shit.

9 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Rohit ruled out for the first two tests.  Funny how he can be full strength in the IPL finals and now is unavailable again.  Last year he couldn’t go for the ODIs and Tests against NZ but was going to be available for the IPL before it was postponed.  This guy cares more about Mumbai Indians than team India.  I’m tired of his shit.

Seems like Rohit is not available for the 1st ODI (tonight at 9:40 PM). 

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/19846/preview/1223955/australia-vs-india-1st-odi-india-in-australia-2020-21

India: 1 Shikhar Dhawan, 2 Mayank Agarwal, 3 Virat Kohli (capt), 4 Shreyas Iyer, 5 KL Rahul (wk), 6 Hardik Pandya, 7 Ravindra Jadeja, 8 Shardul Thakur/Navdeep Saini, 9 Yuzvendra Chahal/Kuldeep Yadav, 10 Mohammed Shami, 11 Jasprit Bumrah.

No love for Manish Pandey? I would send Rahul ahead of Shreyas and drop Hardik because I'm tired of his shit. The 5 bowlers I would go with would be Jadeja, Chahal, Kuldeep, Shami, and Bumrah. I like the spin twins over Shardul and Navdeep (who I think are interchangeable). One could make the argument to sit Kuldeep though. Also, will Rahul be good enough behind the stumps against this Aussie batting attack. If given the option, India should chase.

Australia: 1 David Warner, 2 Aaron Finch (capt), 3 Steven Smith, 4 Marnus Labuschagne, 5 Marcus Stoinis, 6 Alex Carey (wk), 7 Glenn Maxwell, 8 Pat Cummins, 9 Mitchell Starc, 10 Adam Zampa, 11 Josh Hazlewood.

Eyes will be on Marnus. But this lineup scares me as it is stout. 

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

image.thumb.png.19fac9f69c9f88310f9886ab8675cd13.png

8 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

If given the option, India should chase.

Not so sure about that.  In the last 10 years when AUS win the toss on home ground they have elected to bat 33 times and field 10 times.  Only twice have they elected to field at the SCG so it seems they prefer making the other team chase.

When visitors win the toss its pretty even at 22 times putting AUS in to bat and 23 times for the visitors to bat first.