Surly Cricket Thread

APMP

19 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Some fan on CricInfo made the interesting observation backed by numbers that it was easier for spinners to bag wickets with the new ball and as the ball got older, it was easier for the batsmen to score runs. The day is just under half completed, when will a new ball be issued?

New ball is available after each 80 overs in an innings and obviously at the start of an innings.

Note to Kohli - Pick Ashwin as your first bowler no what pitch condition or venue. Even if you think he gonna suck - you pick him.  Even if he misfires for a few games - you continue to pick him. He is a champion -he will always bounce back. Drop someone at random if you are struggling with this.  

With that said, never request a DRS is Ashwin is the only one asking for it. Just tell him no. Thats his only weakness as far I can tell. Hopefully Ashwin can work on that next now that he mastered the other aspects of cricket.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

They need to save these last two wickets for Ash.  He can be the fourth player ever with 10 wickets and a 100 in a test.

Wouldve been nice if he got it. But f the save the wickets plan. 

Nice win. Stocked for AMD pink ball game. Bumrah and Axar on home grounds. 

14 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Either two wins or a win and a draw are required in the last two matches for India to make the finals.  England can only advance if they win the last two matches.  Other than that, AUS sneaks in after ducking out of their last series against SA.

A possible wrench to your analysis above.

https://www.crictracker.com/india-in-danger-of-losing-world-test-championship-points-if-chennai-pitch-is-rated-poor/

Biggest problem with that squad is Kohli has the (Capt) and Rohit has the (vc).

KL Rahul
Rohit Sharma
Virat Kohli
Suryakumar Yadav
Rishabh Pant (wk)
Hardik Pandya
Washington Sundar
Axar Patel
Shardul Thakur
Deepak Chahar
Thangarasu Natarajan

There's my playing XI.  But I'm sure Captain Dipshit will play Shikhar Dhawan over KL Rahul and Yuzvendra Chahal over Axar Patel.  Hell, he might even put Iyer in over Yadav.

5 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Wat? (I guess it's fair because Sardar Patel was not from Ahmedabad, but damn did the name not last very long)

https://sports.yahoo.com/worlds-biggest-cricket-stadium-renamed-091401763.html

Well, not really - the name lasted since the 1950s. There are 2 stadiums in AMD, both named after Sardar.  

The second one was build in the 80s and just went complete teardown. They renamed it right before the first International game. But now the stadium is Modi and the surroundings are Sardar Patel Enclave.

Also, noticed they increased the listed capacity to 132k (from 110k) with this renaming - I bet thats with temp seating. Just so they can say biggest stadium  (of any type) in the world. Lol  

BTW, neither of the two are from AMD. Both are from Guj, and GCA owns the stadium. 

3 minutes ago, remoh said:

Well, not really - the name lasted since the 1950s. There are 2 stadiums in AMD, both named after Sardar.  

The second one was build in the 80s and just went complete teardown. They renamed it right before the first International game. But now the stadium is Modi and the surroundings are Sardar Patel Enclave.

Also, noticed they increased the listed capacity to 132k (from 110k) with this renaming - I bet thats with temp seating. Just so they can say biggest stadium  (of any type) in the world. Lol  

BTW, neither of the two are from AMD. Both are from Guj, and GCA owns the stadium. 

I believe the largest stadium in the world is/was the soccer stadium is in North Korea and sits 150K.  But then again it's NK, so who knows what the truth is. That football stadium in Sao Paulo was pretty big too. Nevertheless, it is the largest cricket stadium in the world and hopefully in time, it will have a history that rivals the likes of Wankhede - the Mecca of Indian cricket (to steal Michael Jordan's description of Madison Square Garden).

England all out for 112 in 48.4 overs is a bad ODI innings. 😆

Shubman is lost and might need a break from International Tests - hopefully after the series.

Pujara was probably too excited about his return to the IPL and forgot he needs to be in Test Mode.

Kohli is petty and mentally fragile. It's okay to build the partnership and let Rohit stay on strike. Really, it's fine Virat.

I don't have any expectations for Rahane as we all know how he plays spin. Pant needs to play like he did in Australia. Sundar will likely provide a decent amount of runs for insurance. Ashwin will have at least a half-century. No expectations from Axar with the bat as he did his job with the ball - maybe he goes full Ashwin since he's playing in his home stadium. But the way he spells his name incorrectly irritates me to no end. 

If you told me before the start of play that by stumps ENG would be all out, India would be within 13 runs of their total and a well set Rohit was still batting I would take that every time. 

You can’t win a test match on day 1, but you can sure as hell lose one. England going to find that out. Hopefully this winds up being an innings win. 

2 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

If you told me before the start of play that by stumps ENG would be all out, India would be within 13 runs of their total and a well set Rohit was still batting I would take that every time. 

You can’t win a test match on day 1, but you can sure as hell lose one. England going to find that out. Hopefully this winds up being an innings win. 

If it's an innings win you speak of, India will need a total between 350-400 at the end of the first innings. At the current run rate they should be in the neighborhood at the end of Day 2.

5 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Rohit kills it in these conditions. England deciding to play four fast bowlers on a pitch this dry was their undoing.