Surly Cricket Thread

APMP

9 hours ago, APMP said:

I think Axar, Ashwin, and Jadeja are must starts.

In India, for sure.  Next test series in South Africa you can't have three spinners but you might be able to carry two.  Jadeja gets the first spot because of his bat and gun fielding.  I think Axar would be the odd man out if you only use two.

Yeah, Indian bowlers weren’t fucking around as they bowl out the Black Caps for 62 in only 28 overs. After what happened the first test, you knew the pitch was going to be a minefield.

It’s not as bad as some of the pitches in last season’s England test series, but Ajaz Patel was getting over 4 degrees of turn by the 20th over yesterday.  Ashwin and Patel were up in the pavilion with raging hard ones when they saw that.  Looks like we’re headed for another three day or 3.5 day test at most.

Edited by Fudge Nuggets

New Zealand's Ajaz Patel became only the third bowler in test cricket history to take all 10 wickets in a single innings.  Well done.  Still didn't prevent the complete ass whipping as India won by 372 runs.

I also saw on the ICC website that the 2024 T20i World Cup will be jointly hosted by West Indies and USA.  It will be interesting to see where the sites are because it would be awesome to be able to go to a match.

15 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I also saw on the ICC website that the 2024 T20i World Cup will be jointly hosted by West Indies and USA.  It will be interesting to see where the sites are because it would be awesome to be able to go to a match.

there are 4 icc certified cricket stadiums in the USA (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_international_cricket_grounds_in_the_United_States). Not many options as of now, unless more get certified before then. 

See? butler with top score. Playing it like a t20-ish. Dont play it like a test, brits dont have that testament anymore. County cricket is a joke. 

back to India: welcome onboard ODI captain rohit and bye-bye captain Kohli. I am amazed BCCI was able to make this happen. 

Buttler - Woakes tried to pull an Ashwin - Vihari from last year and bat out the day to get a draw.  Alas, it wasn't to be as Woakes fell first and then Buttler after scoring 26 runs off 206 deliveries kicks over his own stumps.  After that it was all over but the crying and AUS take a 2-0 lead in The Ashes series.

England has been plain dreadful in this series.

Test matches can be so boring as you cant win over 5 days against a superior opponent. 

and then you do that over a 5 match series. 

wtf. Ashes should be played as 2 match series. England can play 5 match series against equal opponents such as Ireland and Afghanistan. Actually, those might prove difficult too for them, especially once Anderson retires. Who will take any wickets for them? 

It's their batting that is complete shit.  Over the last year or so their openers have averaged 22.  Twenty-fucking-two.  Their openers make India's shit middle order look like those great Aussie teams of the late 1990's / early 2000's.

On a spinning wicket, Rashid Khan and the boys would bowl these mopes out for < 100.

Edited by Fudge Nuggets

In the other Boxing Day test in South Africa, India is bossing the Proteas.  KL Rahul has a century (not out), Agarwal scored at a good clip and even Rahane is smacking the ball around.  Of course Kohli absolutely threw his wicket away on a horrible shot and Pujara got the golden duck.

Saffers are missing Nortje especially with Rabada out of form bowling at 130 kph instead of his usual 135 - 140 kph.

I don't know if this video will work for those without a Willow subscription, but Bumrah's last two wickets against South Africa today were unbelievable.  Hope the link works, if not BCCI should have it up after the match concludes.

https://www.willow.tv/videos/d4-bumrah-2wickets-sa-vs-ind-streaming-online-1st-test-india-tour-of-south-africa-2021-22

India win the first test by 113 runs at Centurion Super Park which is South Africa's "fortress".  They were 21-2-3 and had won the last seven at the ground heading into this test.  So in this calendar year India breached the Gabba fortress, beat England at Lords and took care of the Saffers at Centurion.

Good win for India. 

t20 franchise cricket has now definitely put test cricket on life support, if it wasnt there already. 

- players in their prime retiring from test: de qock, shakib (on the verge, not official yet). 

- no new test cricket countries. Afg and ire are newest test countries in name only. No existing teams will schedule them cuz of opportunity cost. Not having them part of wtc doesnt help. 

- only big3 have resources to subsidize test cricket. I think England is on it way out. Hard to get new fans with piss poor performances. 

- India’s love with test cricket will also fade if team doesn't continue to win. It is after 70 years that Indian teams are winning overseas consistently. So it seems to be healthily supported, but India is mot a test loving country per se. Very few attend tests outside the big 4 metros. 

On 12/30/2021 at 6:59 PM, remoh said:

Good win for India. 

t20 franchise cricket has now definitely put test cricket on life support, if it wasnt there already. 

- players in their prime retiring from test: de qock, shakib (on the verge, not official yet). 

- no new test cricket countries. Afg and ire are newest test countries in name only. No existing teams will schedule them cuz of opportunity cost. Not having them part of wtc doesnt help. 

- only big3 have resources to subsidize test cricket. I think England is on it way out. Hard to get new fans with piss poor performances. 

- India’s love with test cricket will also fade if team doesn't continue to win. It is after 70 years that Indian teams are winning overseas consistently. So it seems to be healthily supported, but India is mot a test loving country per se. Very few attend tests outside the big 4 metros. 

It doesn't help that one needs to be either filthy rich or unemployed to be able to attend the entirety of a Test match.

12 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

India well on their way to losing the second test after some shitastic batting and anemic bowling to start SA's last innings.

But hey, Bangladesh whooped the shit out of NZ in NZ in their first test.  That was surprising.

Fuck yeah. Go 🐅!

king kohli will be back for final test and win it all. 

We have an intriguing test match going on at Newlands in Cape Town.  India led by just 13 runs at the end of the second innings and have extended the lead to 70 runs with the loss of two wickets at stumps on day 2.  Tomorrow could be a great display of test cricket; India going for their first ever series win in South Africa with their first ever win at Newlands.  Going to be tough as South Africa bowlers are playing out their minds this entire series.

Pathetic batting from India and some questionable DRS have put SA in the driver's seat going into day 4 tomorrow.  They require only 111 runs with eight wickets in hand.  Keegan "Right Handed Brian Lara" Petersen should see them over the line just after lunch at this rate.

Elgar was given LBW on a ball that hit him 2/3 the way up the leg pad, but DRS said it was missing high.  Fucking bullshit, even SA umpire Erasmus said "That's impossible."  Kohli and Ashwin absolutely lost their shit after the reversal and went to the stump mic to express their disdain.

post_image_2d96d92.thumb.jpg.c0b92224a221c643d6636bc335b27e37.jpg

Pant atoned for his brain fart in the second innings of the previous test with a red-ink century.  Kohli added a lackluster 29, Mr. Extras scored 28 and no one else broke double digits.  Fucking awful when outside one guy and extras the other 10 batsmen combine for 70 god damn runs.

Kohli steps down as test captain.  That's one step, now need to shit can Pujara and Rahane.

I'll be forever thankful to Mafioso Rahane for what he did as interim captain last year in Australia, but he's such a deadweight on the team.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/virat-kohli-steps-down-as-india-test-captain-1297096

Unfortunately I dont see good stock of test cricketers coming out (all young uns just wanna play IPL). So any replacement for the big3 need a lot to be proven (though I dont think Kohli is in any danger of being dropped - but Pujara and Rahane are likely out for next series).

Jury still out on iyer. Vihari is best of the bunch. SKY might not have the patience for test. Maybe we move some of the opener candidates a bit down the line like shaw, gill, or mayank. But all of them are suspect and not proven yet. India might flounder a bit before coming back strong again. Hopefully tests survive for this to happen. 

But biggest concern is —- who the hell is gonna be test captain?

rohit? Most likely? But he is not fit/you g and misses a lot of matches - might want to continue going for split captaincy  

pant? Most likely to play all tests and most locked up his place in all conditions?

ashwin? cant always play him in SENA conditions where we only can 1 spinner  Jadeja (and maybe even Axar as he develops as a batsman) may be preferred  

bumrah? Probably not given he has played 3 tests in india and 24 outside  

kl? Not sure if he has even locked his place in test yet. 

• 3 weeks later...

Langer resigns as corch of Australia.  Rumors abound he may head over to England.  Nothing surprises me any more, but good grief an Aussie going to coach the Poms just doesn't sound right.

I assume Ponting will have first dibs on the AUS coach position.  Love what he's done for the Delhi Capitals and think he would make AUS even better than they already are.

• 3 weeks later...

Damn good test match going on in Christchurch between the Black Caps and the Proteas.  Lunch break of day 4 and South Africa has a 303 run lead but only 3 wickets in hand and NZ just took the new ball.  Will Young had an unbeevable catch at the boundary an over before the lunch break to keep NZ in it.

NZ needs one more wicket then they can mop up the last two pretty cheap.  Give this NZ batting line up a target under 350 with four full sessions I think they can do it.  Not many matches (if any?) at the Hagley Oval have gone the distance so not sure how the pitch will hold up on day 5 and SA does have one of the most dangerous spin bowlers in their arsenal with Maharaj.

This is what test cricket is all about.

India ass blasts Sri Lanka as expected.

After scoring 175 runs not out, Jadeja took 5 wickets in the first SL innings who were all out for 174 (i.e. Jaddu outscored them by himself).  India made Sri Lanka follow on and bowled them out for 178 with Jaddu taking another 4 wickets.  India win by an innings and 222 runs in the third day.

So, 175 runs not out in the only batting innings and 9 wickets in two SL innings... yeah, Mr. Ravindra Jadeja was named Man of the Match.