Surly Cricket Thread

APMP

Seems the bowling crew listened to @APMP.  Other than Duckett the Dwarf, India's bowling attack made minced meat out of the rest of England's lineup.

I figured England would have the lead by lunch on Day 3, but the bowlers left India with a 126 run lead going into the third innings.  What a turnaround.

Edited by Fudge Nuggets

The scorecard shows Jaiswal retired hurt, Ashwin left the team due to a family emergency... will India have enough warm bodies to finish up this test?
That's the big question, especially because 4th innings Ashwin was likely going to be the lead bowler. I'm expecting an earlier than usual (before tea) declaration from India so that the weakened bowling crew has enough time to get 10 wickets.

Or India could screw it up again and be all out before lunch... who knows.

I think India bat and bat and bat as long as they can to make England's fielders stand out there in the field and wear themselves out.  Also, I'm not sure Bazball has ever batted a full day.

Jadeja's bowling will be the key.  Hopefully he won't give up a ton of needless no balls as he often does.  It's borderline criminal how many times he oversteps.

Edited by Fudge Nuggets
  • Hook 'Em 1

Going through the espn commentary, it seems Jaiswal capped it off in the 85th over.  Three sixes in a row off grumpy old fart Jimmy Anderson... treated the pensioner like a donkey.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Now let's turn out a rank bunsen burner pitch for the next match and seal the series.

Was that a product of the pitch? England looked truly lost batting in that second innings.
The pitch was not ideal for batting, but it wouldn't explain the extent of England's collapse. I think a lot of it also had to do with India's spin dominance and England's lack of experience playing in such conditions. It got away from England at the end of Day 2 when they couldn't make their dominant position count.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

In non-India news, Australia defeated New Zealand for about the billionth time in a row in a really good test match.  NZ were cruising along in their second innings but went from 286/5 to 372 all out.  That gave them a 279 run lead facing a shaky Australia batting with a full session left on day three.  Things couldn't go much better for the Kiwis as they took four wickets for just 34 runs and finished day 3 with a 200 run lead.

Things started good enough for NZ on day four, taking Travis Head's wicket while still maintaining a 190 run lead.  The ball before that, they dropped a fairly easy catch of Mitch Marsh.  In came Alex Carey who has done fuck all for the better part of the summer.  He and Marsh combine for a 140 run partnership; Marsh scored 80 runs before getting out and Carey was still batting when Pat Cummins knocked in the winning rooms... leaving Carey at 98*... I don't think Carey minded much.  The drop of Marsh proved fatal in the end.