Surly Cricket Thread

APMP

KLR, Gill, Pant and Siraj come into the side for the Boxing Day test.  Prithvi, Saha, Kohli and Shami out.  Shami with confirmed wrist fracture is done for the rest of the tour.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/cricket/india-in-australia/india-vs-australia-shubman-gill-kl-rahul-rishabh-pant-get-ready-for-boxing-day-test-wriddhiman-saha-prithvi-shaw-set-to-be-benched/articleshow/79823981.cms

Sounds like there is thought being given to bringing in Jadeja into the side to replace Vihari.  I like this idea if for no other reason he can bowl some overs and try to take a bit of the workload off Bumrah. 

With Pant and Jadeja at least you have two left-hand bats which was sorely missing in the first test.  Problem is both lefties are likely to bat in consecutive order in the lineup so kind of defeats the right/left combo idea - really wish India had a left-handed batsman that could go in the top four (preferably top 3).  I guess you could move Pant up to 5th and KLR at 6th.  Likely to see something like:

Gill
Agarwal
Pujara
Rahane
Pant
KL Rahul
Jadeja
Ashwin
Yadav
Siraj
Bumrah

No idea if Yadav or Siraj bats 9th, but in the grand scheme it doesn't matter.

18 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

AUS a/o for 195.  Good bowling and much improved fielding over the last test.  Loves the way Siraj played.

Hope Mayank's wicket isn't a foreboding for this batting innings. India has it in them to win this test if they quit screwing the pooch.

Edited by UDontKnow

After Australia's second innings is over, they have a lead of 69 runs (nice). 

But I am scared. Rahane needs to emphasize to all batsmen that it's Day 4, play to hold one's wicket, no risk taking to avoid run outs, and methodically climb to 70. Hoping to avoid another batting meltdown on what is likely a deteriorating wicket. India should win this. 

15 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Gill's scored more in just this quick knock than Mayank Agarwal has scored in his last four innings combined.

What a disappointing series from Shaw and Agarwal, India needs two different frontline openers ASAP.

Who would your openers be for the final Test match?

9 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Gill / Rohit will open the last two tests of the series.

Abandoning the righty lefty opening combo? Eh, it can work.

9 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Hum jeet gaye.

Lagaan hum jeet gaye on Make a GIF

3 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Hoping it's KL Rahul + Shubman Gill. Maybe throw in Rohit Sharma as well, depending on how confident they are in Pujara.

Is this your playing XI for the next test?

KL Rahul, Shubman Gill, Cheteshwar Pujara, Ajinkya Rahane, Rohit Sharma, Rishabh Pant, Ravindra Jadeja, Ravichandran Ashwin, Hanuma Vihari (as batting all-rounder), Mohammad Siraj,   Jasprit Bumrah

(Umesh Yadaw is doubtful for the next Test match due to calf injury)

Just now, Fudge Nuggets said:

We haven’t had lefty / righty opener for either of these first two tests.  Hell, we didn’t have a single lefty period for first test.

My bad. I stupidly believed Agarwal was L handed.

Bigger question is if Umesh can't go for the third test, who do you bring in to replace him?  I guess a lot of that decision would be based on where they play the third test as there are questions about Sydney being available due to COVID restrictions.  If it is played in Sydney then another full-time spinner to complement Ashwin might be the best move.  I'm not sure who is available in the bubble though.

Mayank has to go.  I'm also about done with Pujara's stupid ass as well.  Rohit takes Mayank's spot, bring KLR as the other opener and let Gill go at 3 or have Rohit / Gill open and let KLR take the 3 spot?

If Warner comes back for AUS then the last two tests of this series should be amazing.

17 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Bigger question is if Umesh can't go for the third test, who do you bring in to replace him?  I guess a lot of that decision would be based on where they play the third test as there are questions about Sydney being available due to COVID restrictions.  If it is played in Sydney then another full-time spinner to complement Ashwin might be the best move.  I'm not sure who is available in the bubble though.

Mayank has to go.  I'm also about done with Pujara's stupid ass as well.  Rohit takes Mayank's spot, bring KLR as the other opener and let Gill go at 3 or have Rohit / Gill open and let KLR take the 3 spot?

If Warner comes back for AUS then the last two tests of this series should be amazing.

If you drop Pujara in addition to Mayank, would you play Saha? And if so, would you allow him to keep wicket? (all assuming that only the current players in the bubble are available)

Third test will be played at SCG as planned.  Upon further reflection I don’t think Rohit is going to slide into the playing XI for this test because  he hasn’t played since the IPL finished.  I guess Saini will fill in for Umesh (if he’s ruled out) and KLR could take Mayank’s spot.  Other than that, don’t mess with it.

19 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

What would be the reason for playing Saha?  Pant has his spot for now.

I didn't realize there were other batsmen available outside the initial Test squad. I figured the ODI and T20 players would have gone home after completing their national team duties.

As awful as Mayank has been, Prithvi is 10x worse.  There’s no choice other than sticking with Mayank at this point unless Hardik Pandya was available and slot Pujara into an opener role.  Even that would be a desperation move so roll with Mayank and figure we’ll lose at least one wicket in the first five overs.

Kyle Jamieson is just owning PAK at the moment.  This is following absolute shit bowling by PAK during their time with the ball - the 64 extras was really impressive.  Three Kiwis reached 100 and Williamson went for 238.  Looks like NZ is going to wrap this up today, they lead by 260 and PAK has already lost 6 wickets.

Edited by Fudge Nuggets