Surly Cricket Thread

APMP

1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

Good lord, what have I woken up to?

This pitch might be a greater monstrosity than the one in Chidambaram.

This Test match might be over in two days!

FWIW, both Kohli and Root seemed to put more blame on the pink ball's tendency to skid. I don't know if a pink ball test has ever been played on such a rank turner before.

Test finished in 5.1 sessions. Crazy!

How long will the second AMD test last?

Might as well rest Bumrah, Ishant, and Washington. And play Hardik, KL, and Mayank. We need more batsman and fewer bowlers. 

Super lol @ England playing 3.5 seamers and 1.25 spinners on this pitch. Though they ended up with a proper 1.5 spinners (even if temporarily) by end of the game. 

1 hour ago, remoh said:

Test finished in 5.1 sessions. Crazy!

How long will the second AMD test last?

Might as well rest Bumrah, Ishant, and Washington. And play Hardik, KL, and Mayank. We need more batsman and fewer bowlers. 

Super lol @ England playing 3.5 seamers and 1.25 spinners on this pitch. Though they ended up with a proper 1.5 spinners (even if temporarily) by end of the game. 

This pink ball Test was the shortest Test match in a long time: https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/1253038-1253038

The next Test match does not appear to be a pink ball Test, so maybe it will be longer if the ball is truly at blame: https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/england-tour-of-india-2020-21-1243364/india-vs-england-4th-test-1243387/live-cricket-score

It's good for the squad to get a longer break. Test matches are grueling. I for one, am ready for some white ball cricket and will be especially stoked when the action shifts to Pune.

Hope all is well with him. On one hand it is strange because he is in his hometown (of course there is the issue of the bio-bubble). On the other hand, he will hardly feature in this final Test as the pitch has shown to be a rank turner. But he is still the squad's #1 death bowler and he needs to be played in every single white ball fixture.  

19 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Sundar bags Stokes, the danger man! There is still time to join Team Sundar. The kid will be the future top all-rounder for India! Play him more in all formats!

We will see. I am not sold on him yet.. his body of work in first class / tests it too small for me to make a call on him. I do want him to succeed though. 

12 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Good day for India.  Not as dominant as last two tests, but not far off.  I would probably rate it a 75% India 25% England kind of day.

Need to bat out the day tomorrow and hopefully a bit on day three as well.

How is it 25% England? Because of the Gill wicket? They batted terribly... the score is very subpar for a first day pitch given that they played 7 bats (and only 3 bowlers). 

I would rate it 95% India. 

Edited by remoh

Maybe KL Rahul should have gotten the call instead of Shubman Gill.

Good that Cheteshwar Pujara will have a break after this Test. I don't like him much at the #3 spot. He's better at #4 and can farm the strike with Rishabh Pant.

Would be really great if either of Rohit or Kohli start clicking.

9 hours ago, remoh said:

How is it 25% England? Because of the Gill wicket? They batted terribly... the score is very subpar for a first day pitch given that they played 7 bats (and only 3 bowlers). 

I would rate it 95% India. 

I was being very generous. Although still shitty, England batted better than the previous two tests and showed better intent by using their footwork.  That was totally absent in the pink ball test.

2 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Let Pant drop a triple ton, then the comparisons to Sehwag can begin.

So what you are you saying is...  Karun Nair is more like Sehwag than Pant!?!?!?!!

All I am saying Pant is fun to watch like Sehwag. Dont think a benign statement like that requires a triple ton - cuz thats like only 2 Indians ever.

1 minute ago, remoh said:

3 wickets. 5 balls. Washington 96*. 😝 

Stupid, greedy Axar cost Sundar his maiden Test ton and very well an innings victory. I don't care how good he has been this tour, that is absolutely unacceptable. If I were the captain, I would be chewing his ass out right now. India could have easily doubled England's 1st innings total - they were in rhythm and well on their way. 

Now Axar must redeem himself by taking a 5-for and not by leaking boundaries, Siraj style.

50 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Stupid, greedy Axar cost Sundar his maiden Test ton and very well an innings victory. I don't care how good he has been this tour, that is absolutely unacceptable. If I were the captain, I would be chewing his ass out right now. India could have easily doubled England's 1st innings total - they were in rhythm and well on their way. 

Now Axar must redeem himself by taking a 5-for and not by leaking boundaries, Siraj style.

Explain how he was greedy. That statement makes no sense. 

He did indeed make a stupid mistake- but if anything he was being non-greedy. He wanted to keep Sundar on strike. 

1 minute ago, remoh said:

Explain how he was greedy. That statement makes no sense. 

He did indeed make a stupid mistake- but if anything he was being non-greedy. He wanted to keep Sundar on strike. 

He was greedy trying to take a single (even if it wouldn't be credited to his runs scored). This is Test cricket and when your team is in the lead, that kind of risk is boneheaded. Given how well the two were rotating the strike, it didn't matter who would start on strike in the following over. I just hope it doesn't play a pivotal role in the final outcome.

On to the WTC Final against NZ.  One match for all the marbles, draw is a shared trophy.

Impressive knock by Sundar, just too bad the last two batsmen couldn't put up any resistance so he could get his century.  Washi needs to be moved up the order.

Edited by Fudge Nuggets

My dumbass went to bed early last night so I could get up and get a small fill of cricket this morning.  Plan was to get up at 4:00am and see the last hour and half of play.  Got up, checked the score and saw England were already down 8 wickets and trailing by 25 or so runs.  I actually found myself hoping England could put up a stand and get a lead of at least 30 just to prolong the day.  Instead I got to see a total of five balls as Ashwin knocked down the last two wickets. 

Stupid Poms.

4 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

My dumbass went to bed early last night so I could get up and get a small fill of cricket this morning.  Plan was to get up at 4:00am and see the last hour and half of play.  Got up, checked the score and saw England were already down 8 wickets and trailing by 25 or so runs.  I actually found myself hoping England could put up a stand and get a lead of at least 30 just to prolong the day.  Instead I got to see a total of five balls as Ashwin knocked down the last two wickets. 

Stupid Poms.

😆 

On 3/7/2021 at 11:43 PM, UDontKnow said:

Well, this aged well.

Fuckboi took three wickets and only gave up 23 runs.

Starting a tour with 4 test match series is too much emotion/intense. T20 matches after that is very very anti climactic. 

I think the Aussie tour schedule was much better - tests at the end. The already decided whiteball series only add to the drama/emotion. 

5 hours ago, remoh said:

Starting a tour with 4 test match series is too much emotion/intense. T20 matches after that is very very anti climactic. 

I think the Aussie tour schedule was much better - tests at the end. The already decided whiteball series only add to the drama/emotion. 

Agreed. India's stakes for the Test series were extremely high. It would have been deflating not to make it to the Test final. 

I'm okay with the opposition winning the initial match only to lose the remaining. I'm not so sure that will happen with the remaining T20 fixtures given that India is not at full strength. 

Need Rohit and Bumrah back (Rohit deserved rest and Bumrah won't return until the ODIs). Not sure how long it will take for Shikhar Dhawan to get into form. Will Suryakumar get an opportunity next match (if so, who gets dropped? Dhawan? Rahul?) I would even venture to include Manish Pandey in the squad as he bats in decent partnership with Iyer, but maybe that's more appropriate for ODI.

Kohli is turning into Aloo circa 2003 as the captain who talks big but is unable to back it up. I'm so fed up with Kohli, but that fat drunk Shastri will never drop him from the playing XI.