Surly Cricket Thread

APMP

On 3/10/2022 at 8:44 PM, remoh said:

My prediction: IPL will expand to 20+ teams, 6 month season in the next 2 decades. Most IPL players will only play in the IPL given the longer season. 

Your prediction essentially signals the death knell for longer forms of cricket - and Test cricket would be the first to go.

I guess the IPL is up next two weekends from now. I'll just have to root for competitive matches since I don't have a natural allegiance to any IPL team. 

AUS choked away a win against PAK with some shitastic fielding and mind blowingly dumb captaincy moves by Cummins.  They bowled out PAK in their first innings for 148 in just over 50 overs then took a 506 run lead into the final innings with basically two full days to bowl them out.  Only took 7 wickets in the last two days.  Fucking losers.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I’ve watched exactly zero overs of this fake, rigged ass shit.  Biding my time for some international matches to start up again.  They still play those, right?

Ipl is more balanced competition that most international games. Too bad you dislike it. I used to also, but now I’ve changed my mind over the past couple of years. IPL is the future of cricket. 

9 minutes ago, APMP said:
On 4/27/2022 at 6:37 PM, remoh said:
Gujarat Titans… team of destiny?

Yes.

Maybe not as much lately. They dont like a championship team at all (or never did), but they did chase down all improbable scores. However, they have difficulty chasing modest totals - couldnt be bothered against Mumbai. 

43 minutes ago, remoh said:

Ipl is more balanced competition that most international games. Too bad you dislike it. I used to also, but now I’ve changed my mind over the past couple of years. IPL is the future of cricket. 

I used to love the IPL but the blatant match fixing got too absurd.

Good lord, what a horrible year for Cricket Australia.  Andrew Symonds is gone.

So within just a couple of months they lost The King, Rod Marsh and now Symonds.  Marsh was done with cricket before I started following it, but Warne and Symonds were front and center of the greatest team since the 1980's West Indies.

Can someone please put Ricky Ponting and Steve Waugh in bubble wrap / quarantine?

• 2 weeks later...

If I remember in time and don't have anyting else going on I might find a pirate website to watch the final.  Don't care who wins but I'll probably pull a little bit more for Gujarat since they have Ashwin and another former DC player in Hetmyer.

DC need to shitcan Pant as captain and maybe they can live up to their potential.  His batting stats have also been ass since he took over the captaincy last year.

If I remember in time and don't have anyting else going on I might find a pirate website to watch the final.  Don't care who wins but I'll probably pull a little bit more for Gujarat since they have Ashwin and another former DC player in Hetmyer.
DC need to shitcan Pant as captain and maybe they can live up to their potential.  His batting stats have also been ass since he took over the captaincy last year.
Ashwin and Hetmeyer are on Rajasthan.

Likely the most attended cricket match in Indian history.

Rajasthan Royals won the toss and chose to bat, setting up possible Miller Time/Tewatia fireworks in the chase.

Let's go Titans.

Why on earth would you choose to bat first in a T20 match?  Other than match fixing I'm coming up with nothing.
Dew or slowing wicket for Ashwin/Chahal I guess.

Jos out is huge Titans on top right now.

Dew usually comes in later in the match and aids the team batting.  Another reason to bowl first, but the point about the spinners may have some merit.  I just think any perceived advantages of batting first are far outweighed by the known advantages of batting in the second innings.

Dew usually comes in later in the match and aids the team batting.  Another reason to bowl first, but the point about the spinners may have some merit.  I just think any perceived advantages of batting first are far outweighed by the known advantages of batting in the second innings.
Yeah I was thinking about dew slowing the outfield. I suppose another reason could have been the old adage of getting runs on the board in a final.

Professional chase from the Titans. Can afford to take it easy in the face of dot balls when you're chasing 131. The best team won the trophy.

• 1 month later...

AUS bitch slapped the poor little Sri Lankans by 10 wickets.  AUS only needed 10 runs in their second innings.

Last year the Galle pitch gave up runs o'plenty.  This test, not so much as spinners bamboozled batsmen throughout.  Travis fucking Head took 4 wickets for AUS in the SL second innings.  Lyon took nine for the match.

India has to be happy on Stumps after Day 2 as they managed to get to 416 with Jadeja and the tail order. Jadeja gets his ton and Bumrah proceeds to do his best impression of Yuvraj Singh versus Stuart Broad. Seriously no one saw that coming from Bumrah and that too in a Test match! He had the highest strike rate of all. England also gifted 40 extra runs including 14 no balls! 

India is halfway done with the English first innings and managed to get Joe Root out. Again it's Bumrah with the 1st 3 wickets. Hard to predict how Day 3 will go because of continuing rain in Edgbaston, but India remain in great position. England have to win this Test match just to draw the series - sucks to be them!

Bumrah set the all time record in test match history for runs in a single over off asshole Broad.  Bumrah tonked him for 35 runs 😀😀😀

I wonder if the Poms were a bit overconfident after the way they thrashed the Kiwis?  Well so far it looks like daddy has taken off his belt and is giving junior a straight hiding.

Edited by Fudge Nuggets

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Asia Cup going on.  India vs Pakistan starting up in about 15 mins.  Fucking Kohli still hanging around and they brought Karthik out of the old folks home to keep wicket.  No Bumrah either with back injury.  Thankfully no Shaheen Shah Afridi for Pakistan either.

https://live.cricstream.me/india-vs-pakistan-live/stream-1

• 1 month later...

King Kohli is back. 

Need to rest Ashwin from T20I forever. He is a terrible fielder and not athletic enough for T20I.  

I having a growing disappointment for KL Rahul. He rarely does well in pressure situations. Not sure why he is VC and thus an automatic selection over Hardik. 

Edited by remoh
  • Hook 'Em 1

So yeah, that last over... was pretty mental.

Need 16, lose two wickets, get a single off one ball and two off another.

AND STILL WIN!!!!  SUCK IT PAKISTAN!!!

espncricinfo commentary:  https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/icc-men-s-t20-world-cup-2022-23-1298134/india-vs-pakistan-16th-match-group-2-1298150/ball-by-ball-commentary

Great summary from TGC: 

The Queen is dead.  The King is BACK!!!

Shitty quality video of the last over but better than nothing until the pros get their shit posted.

That leave by Ashwin on the first ball he faced was Mr. Cool personified.

Bhogle's "What have you done Mr. Nawaz" was the funniest thing since Shannon Gabriel's ill-fated hoik led to "Whyyyyyyyyyy did he do that?"

Edited by Fudge Nuggets

• 2 weeks later...

Does any team choke worse than South Africa in cricket world cups. They’re worse than aggy. Unbelievable how they failed to qualify for the semis. But then again, maybe them qualifying would be the unbelievable thing now. 

what are the odds for india-pak final? Would be epic. Both teams will be under so much pressure. Probably can win with a score of 130. 

i guess I wouldn’t mind an eng-nz final either (if it is anything like the odi wc 19 final - best finals ever). 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I barely follow the IPL any more and sure as shit never followed the Big Bash League in Australia, but how the living fuck is this possible?

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/big-bash-league-2022-23-1324623/sydney-thunder-vs-adelaide-strikers-5th-match-1324628/full-scorecard

Sydney Thunder were bowled all out in 5.5 overs for 15 runs, three of those coming from extras.  Five ducks in the innings. I have to guess the majority of Sydney’s team are on the AUS test team playing against South Africa?  Feel sorry for any dumbass that bought a ticket for that shit.