Surly Cricket Thread

APMP

3 hours ago, APMP said:
13 hours ago, satyanash said:
That should do it. Very unlucky dismissal for Kane Williamson.

That's the one cricket rule I would change. I would make it so that there is no fluke run out in that situation.

Or tell the guy to stay in his crease until the ball passes the wicket?  I agree that fluke run outs like that suck, but the off-strike batsman does have a way to avoid it.

3 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I guess technically India can overtake Australia if Australia goes brain dead and loses to SA and India take care of business against SL.  I don't want to have to face the Crumpet Munchers on that dastardly Edgbaston pitch again.

South Africa is as useful as tits on a bull in this World Cup, so is Lanka (although the two teams that have absolutely no business being here are currently playing). You would think India learned several lessons from the previous tilt against the Wankers. There is also an outside chance that India ends up playing in Manchester for the semis. In any case:

Image result for crumpet gif

I don't know how many trees there are in Pakistan, but they must have a world class left-arm fast bowler growing on every one of them.  Good grief, Afridi went off today.

India produces right handed batting gods, Pakistan produces left handed fast bowling ones. It is known. If not for partition the combined powers would have won every world cup in the past 40 years.

5 minutes ago, APMP said:

India produces right handed batting gods, Pakistan produces left handed fast bowling ones. It is known. If not for partition the combined powers would have won every world cup in the past 40 years.

Shakib and Mustafizur would be good additions to the all no-partition team as well.

India and Australia have matches tomorrow that could potentially determine who the topper is. With the four teams proceeding to knockout being Australia, India, England, and New Zealand, what are the semifinals: #1 vs #4 and #2 vs #3? or #1 vs #3 and #2 vs #4???

43 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

India and Australia have matches tomorrow that could potentially determine who the topper is. With the four teams proceeding to knockout being Australia, India, England, and New Zealand, what are the semifinals: #1 vs #4 and #2 vs #3? or #1 vs #3 and #2 vs #4???

SFs are #1 vs. #4 and #2 vs. #3.

Unless we beat SL and the Proteas upsets Australia, we'll play England on Thursday at Edgbaston.

3 hours ago, satyanash said:

SFs are #1 vs. #4 and #2 vs. #3.

Unless we beat SL and the Proteas upsets Australia, we'll play England on Thursday at Edgbaston.

Still should aim to beat Lanka and hope that India win the toss and bat first in Birmingham.

I will go to my grave saying the farce of a coin toss should be eliminated in cricket when one side has a definite “home ground” advantage.  The away side should automatically be given the choice to either bat or field since the home side typically tailors the pitch to maximize its team’s chances.

Now if there was a situation with no home field advantage such as Australia playing against England on the subcontinent then they can use a coin toss.

4 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Still should aim to beat Lanka and hope that India win the toss and bat first in Birmingham.

The only way the SF pairings can change is if India beats SL and SA beats Team Sandpaper.  In that case it would be India vs Black Caps and Aus vs Eng.  SA isn’t winning their match unless Aus rest key guys like Starc, Warner, etc.  Since they have already been off an extended period I don’t see that happening.