Alita: Battle Angel

ajax

Fucking amazing. I don't care what the critics say. Go see it.

Nobody is better at making epic movies than Cameron (who produced). He's the best at it and this is imo Rodriguez's best movie.

The action is so well choreographed and brutal. This is the most violent PG-13 I've ever seen. Every fight scene is depicted clearly but is filmed with a lot of visceral energy. 

The motorball sequences were especially impressive.

Rosa Salazar has a ton of charisma as Alita. The entire cast was great: Christoph Waltz, Jennifer Connelly, Mahershala Ali, Jackie Earle Haley.

It wasn't perfect. I didn't buy the romance in the movie and they shoild have established the ultimate villain some more. Those are minor gripes though.

Here's a cool short on how they used technology from the movie to build prosthetics for a little girl.

Edited by ajax
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, MillerEP said:

Saw it last night, went in with no real expectations. The theatre was nearly empty and we walked out of the theatre very pleasantly surprised. I have a feeling this will be a cult classic, that finds more success once it's left theatres.

This is America.  Speak American.

• Like 2

I saw it tonight. Went in blind, had no idea who was in it, directing, plotline anything. Very entertained. The cast was fucking amazing.

How has nobody mentioned Jennifer Connelly? Smokeshow at damn near 50.

I agree that the love story was contrived, but I also think they tried to squeeze too much in at once. About half way through I thought it would have made a great series on Netflix or Amazon. 

Yeah I feel like this movie was wrecked by critics and word of mouth, but it was pretty damn entertaining and a fun watch.  As said above it'll have a cult like following after it gets digitally released, and maybe just maybe they'll do the same thing they did with Pacific Rim and make a sequel based on what it does worldwide over the US.

Also, my only gripe was the 30 seconds of Moon Battle.  Give me 5 minutes of that and it makes the movie so much better.  Matter of fact, make the sequel mostly moon battle.

• 4 months later...

I guess since I am an old fart now, I gave it a little less glowing report card. It was an enjoyable flick, overall but I don't know that I would watch it again. More like a 6/10 for me. The actors did a good job with their roles but the story was just OK.

• 9 months later...

Overall, great movie. Loved the story, the only gripe would be the actor that played Hugo. Needed a better cast there.

Salazar was fantastic as Alita, everyone else was great. The action and cgi was incredible, and i liked the story

change hugo and change some of the obvious sets that were set in the streets (looked too fake) and u have one of the best films of the year imo

• 2 years later...

Was reading an AskReddit yesterday, "Which movie is in most desperate need of a sequel?" and this was one of the more highly-voted options. I literally hadn't heard of the movie.

Found out I could watch it on VOD for free, so I did.

Like the rest of you: Blown away, loved the amazing action scenes (Rodriguez remains king), wanted more. Loved the way they used CGI to make the Uncanny Valley work to its advantage.

And, good news: They do want to do a sequel. Sworn to do it as of two days ago. Yay! https://screenrant.com/alita-2-james-cameron-robert-rodriguez-promise-oath/ It sounds like the kind of thing they both really want to do.

• Haha 1