do you replace the tires on your vehicle with the same brand/type?

Gil Bang

My car is due for tires.  It came with Goodyear Eagles, but I'm considering switching.  Michelin maybe?  

In the past, I've tended to replace car tires with the same OEM tire. Trucks, no, I usually go with something else, but I can't explain why.

My particular car also came with Pirelli as OEM, but the reviews say that they are noisy. 

Thoughts?

11 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

My car is due for tires.  It came with Goodyear Eagles, but I'm considering switching.  Michelin maybe?  

In the past, I've tended to replace car tires with the same OEM tire. Trucks, no, I usually go with something else, but I can't explain why.

My particular car also came with Pirelli as OEM, but the reviews say that they are noisy. 

Thoughts?

For years I replaced the tires on my vette with the tires they came with (Goodyear),  but when Chevy went to using Michellin Pilot Sport (?) tires as OEM, I tried them and was very pleased.  They provided much better performance and much higher mileage than the Goodyear tires.

Sometimes you've got to experiment.  Read up on various suitable replacements and if you are comfortable with them, roll those dice.

Never. In some cases the OEM replacements are priced significantly higher than comparables. I assume because of people who just automatically choose OEM replacements instead of researching alternatives. In the case of our cars, OEMs were Dunlop and Bridgestone and both were garbage.

I currently run Continental and Pirelli on our vehicles. No issues with either.

1 hour ago, Bigpoppapump said:

Got a WRX, replaced mine with Michelin Super Sports. Best upgrade I've done to the car.

Agreed - I did the same thing when I had a WRX a few years ago. Problem is I was spending so much time driving in traffic that I hardly ever got a chance to take advantage of it....might as well have been driving a Corolla or some shit 90 percent of the time.

Edited by Bat Guano

I'm here for the Michelin gangbang as well, but from what the guys at Discount tell me some of their recent tires don't wear very well.  I've had to replace a few 60K tires at 40K.

But now I'm a truck guy, 14K miles on the OEM Goodyears and I can't wait to replace them. . .well, except for the cost.

2 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

I'm here for the Michelin gangbang as well, but from what the guys at Discount tell me some of their recent tires don't wear very well.  I've had to replace a few 60K tires at 40K.

But now I'm a truck guy, 14K miles on the OEM Goodyears and I can't wait to replace them. . .well, except for the cost.

I do trust the guys at Discount to shoot straight, but I wonder if those are maybe their passenger car tires?  I've not run into their tires not hitting the warranty numbers.  I run the LTX M/S 2 on the wife's SUV and the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on my car.  Very satisfied with both.  I just wish they would make the X-Ice tires in bigger sizes so I could run those in the winter.  Not impressed with the Blizzaks on my car right now.  I had the X-Ice on my last car and they were finominle.

just popping in to a tire thread for the requisite mentioning of Discount Tire providing exceptional service.  Picked up a nail in the original Hankook's in my F150 and went ahead and got the road hazard protection when I had them patch it.  Picked up another nail too far to the edge to patch and they put a new tire on.

When the other three wear out I'll replace them with Michelins.

My local Discount was exceptionally good at scratching wheels and shearing off lugs last time I had a set put on. So that was nice.
You had a rare occurrence or a hater. Place is great but just too crowded. Costco and discount are the only places I enjoy/don't mind going to. The crowds suck though

You had a rare occurrence or a hater. Place is great but just too crowded. Costco and discount are the only places I enjoy/don't mind going to. The crowds suck though
Probably true although it's not the first time I've dealt with incompetence there. They do get rave reviews here though so it can't be all bad. Just like everywhere else, it's luck of the draw who gets assigned to your car.

I haven't checked out Costco yet for tires, but will next time.

14 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

If you want supple, high performing compounds, they're gonna wear fast. 

In terms of marginal cost over they're useful life, it's not that significant.  And you'd want to replace the tires before dry-rot sets in.

Totally worth the premium.

BTW the Pilot Super Sport are an old model.  They're still kept in production in some sizes due to homologation of some recent cars. But more or less they've been replaced by the Pilot Sport 4 and Pilot Sport 4S line

I've always done Mich, and that's currently what's on the wife's car right now, but my Tahoe came with Bridgestone H/L Alenza Plus and I have to say I am pretty impressed with them. The ride is excellent and there's a lot less road noise than even my wife's car (with the Mich tires) but that might be also partially attributed to the car itself. When these wear out I'll probably go back to Michelin, but I will definitely have to think about it harder than I have previously. They are priced about $9 more than comparable Michelins, so price is a wash.

24 minutes ago, Llano Estacado said:

^
Does Edmond’s or anyone track that?

Have to think it’d be some combination
F150
Accord
Subaru Outback
Yukon/Tahoe

Maybes and wildcards:
Lexus IS
BMW 3 series
Jeep Wrangler
Some Minivan
Ram, cause weird dodge people

I would think F150 guys are lifers. 

Accord drivers drive accords because it meets their needs at a certain time in their life. 
Same with SUV's like Tahoes.  

58 minutes ago, Llano Estacado said:

^
Does Edmond’s or anyone track that?

Have to think it’d be some combination
F150
Accord
Subaru Outback
Yukon/Tahoe

Maybes and wildcards:
Lexus IS
BMW 3 series
Jeep Wrangler
Some Minivan
Ram, cause weird dodge people

I think this is pretty accurate.  I'm on my third F-150 with my first one bought in 2001.    I was tempted at one time to go to Toyota, but ended up getting a good deal on my second one during model year close out season in October of that year.   Tundra's are crap with gas mileage as well.

But I have to say RAM has really picked up it's game the last couple of years.  I've seen more of them on the roads around the state.   But their resale value still is subpar compared to Ford.  It might take a few more model years and FC/RAM to prove themselves before the resales go up.  I've  window shopped and looked on line and comparable RAM packages to Ford's offerings, and you do indeed get more for your bucks with RAM.  But they need to prove what's under the hood and the trans is worth it in the long term.  That's were RAM in past has dropped the ball on top of what looked nice and shinny inside (like door panels )go to crap in short time.  

The correct answer is the only time you SHOULD replace tires with like make is if you are replacing only two tires and not four.  As from a resale standpoint, non matching tires decrease the resale value of a vehicle. Otherwise buy what you think is best after a little bit of research, and current incentives.

On 2/19/2019 at 8:58 AM, Okie State said:

Never. In some cases the OEM replacements are priced significantly higher than comparables. I assume because of people who just automatically choose OEM replacements instead of researching alternatives. In the case of our cars, OEMs were Dunlop and Bridgestone and both were garbage.

I've definitely found this to be the case. This is true whether the OEM tires are worth having (rare, but does happen) or not.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll take some random internet advice because I know nothing about tires and I'm cheap.

I need 4 new tires for my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

OEM are Goodyear Fortera HL P245 70R17

Sams total, installed w/ roadside  $ 755

Discount Tire installed w/ roadside $790

I'm not firm on replacing w/ OEM and open to suggestions.  HELP!