Texas @ Rice Game Thread

Horny Bull

41 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

It looks like TJ surgery has served Quintanilla well - touching 97 last night when he was around 88-90 pre-TJ.  Looks like he had some pretty severe command issues though in the Northwoods League last year.  

Well, that and he is a pretty good friend of my son (UT soph, they both pitched together on a few pre-HS teams).  Regularly plays phone games with him.

This is really the reason.

Cole's dad is good people, BTW. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

3-1 all on the road starting 2 FR arms, a Sophomore, and several FR bats. 

Pierce is probably pleased with that start. 

I know it’s earlt this year, but Pierce just seems like he’s a damn good manager based on last season and this start. When good coaches in any sport come in, you see them elevate the whole roster.  I think we’re seeing that with Pierce. He’s been dealing with less than perfect rosters these two years and is getting the team to play a high level. Will be really fun to see what he can do when he’s got his roster of guys in here.

Good to see the Zubia factor get unleashed. 

Rehabbing Ridgeway will be Pierce's Shugart story this year.  I'm guessing Ridgeway is going to get a lot of opportunities early.  Looks like 1-1.5 innings should be the right amount for a return to an effective Ridgeway.  And if not the others look to be able to pull up the slack.  Hopefully the first 4 batters Ridgeway shows up from now on.

9 hours ago, zork said:

Good to see the Zubia factor get unleashed. 

Rehabbing Ridgeway will be Pierce's Shugart story this year.  I'm guessing Ridgeway is going to get a lot of opportunities early.  Looks like 1-1.5 innings should be the right amount for a return to an effective Ridgeway.  And if not the others look to be able to pull up the slack.  Hopefully the first 4 batters Ridgeway shows up from now on.

To me he needs to be used similarly but not exactly how Parker Joe was used last year. Because of his sinker he can be very useful in situations where you need to get out of a jam. He doesn't have the stuff for extended outings. 1 inning should probably be his max.

1 minute ago, chase25 said:

To me he needs to be used similarly but not exactly how Parker Joe was used last year. Because of his sinker he can be very useful in situations where you need to get out of a jam. He doesn't have the stuff for extended outings. 1 inning should probably be his max.

yep.  it was great to read/hear him getting out of the bases loaded jam.  that is Pierce showing confidence.  would have been perfect if he had only let him do that one extra inning after that.