Survivor: Edge of Extinction

Chuckie Finster

Premieres tonight.

ManuTribe1.png

Kama1.png

Joe, Aubry, Kelley Wentworth, and David Wright return and there's a new twist for this season:

In Survivor: Edge of Extinction, castaways dealt a torch-snuffing blow at Tribal Council are in for a shock. During the usual walk of shame, they’ll be presented with the option of either continuing to play the game in a desolate location called Extinction Island or end their experience. If they choose Option A, they’ll have almost nil in the way of food and shelter — and no idea of when and how they can rejoin the fun and vie for the $1 million.

Edited by Chuckie Finster

1 hour ago, texashorne said:

Looking forward to this season, but not sure how I feel about a person being voted off and they still have a chance to return and win. Reminds me of the OU game now with the CCG. 

It's basically the same model that all competition based reality shows are going to now. Big Brother has the battle back comp, Top Chef has last chance kitchen, etc. 

Survivor needed to do something to shake things up.  The show had gotten a little repetitive.  Same rewards, same challenges, etc.  I like the idea.  It will be interesting to watch people come back in the game that were backstabbed.  Might actually even change the way people play and who they vote off, knowing they might come back in with a vengeance.  

45 minutes ago, texashorne said:

I like the premise this season alot. Their are 2 seasons per year, so they are in perfect position to have a traditional game once, and do something off the cuff in the other. 

Reem is a character and I'm glad she is sticking around. 

she may not be.  alone in the rain and dark with no food or shelter?  it would be tough for any of the players to stick it out in that challenge.  i definitely think an older player is better adapted than a younger one though, so hopefully she does come back.  and this time hopefully doesn't take everyone's laundry down to the beach to sun dry.

3 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

she may not be.  alone in the rain and dark with no food or shelter?  it would be tough for any of the players to stick it out in that challenge.  i definitely think an older player is better adapted than a younger one though, so hopefully she does come back.  and this time hopefully doesn't take everyone's laundry down to the beach to sun dry.

I've always wondered with exile island and now this if there is a producer and camera crew with them 24/7. Obviously they can't chat with them but they aren't actually "alone". It would be a mind fuck for sure but not as bad as it would be if they just left you there and didn't come back for days. 

I just don't quite see how these teams are anywhere close to be balanced.  The men on Team Joe are so much more athletic as a whole, even with having 4  to the other teams 5 (which could be argued that having one less deadbeat is better anyway).  I think Wentworths team is going to get ravaged until a swap happens.  

I just don't quite see how these teams are anywhere close to be balanced.  The men on Team Joe are so much more athletic as a whole, even with having 4  to the other teams 5 (which could be argued that having one less deadbeat is better anyway).  I think Wentworths team is going to get ravaged until a swap happens.  

Based on recent seasons,that will happen within two weeks.

I felt bad for him until he hedged with his choice post-tribal.  Granted, it could have been overplayed for effect but, otherwise, what a puss.  You get voted off at tribal and have a second chance.  It should take all over about .5 seconds to jump at the opportunity to "go left".  

Glad Wentworth stayed.  More redhead shots plz.

15 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I felt bad for him until he hedged with his choice post-tribal.  Granted, it could have been overplayed for effect but, otherwise, what a puss.  You get voted off at tribal and have a second chance.  It should take all over about .5 seconds to jump at the opportunity to "go left".  

I didn't watch past the break to see if they gave us what his choice was but wasn't he tight with mama figure Reem? Do they put him on the same island or another secluded location?

9 hours ago, El Diablo said:

I didn't watch past the break to see if they gave us what his choice was but wasn't he tight with mama figure Reem? Do they put him on the same island or another secluded location?

His choice wasn't shown.  I hope this Extinction Island thing is done correctly.  It's going to be lame if more than one is able to return at the same time - i.e. a group of six returns in Week 7.  They'd be a natural (bitter) alliance and knock off those that haven't been voted out.

2 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

His choice wasn't shown.  I hope this Extinction Island thing is done correctly.  It's going to be lame if more than one is able to return at the same time - i.e. a group of six returns in Week 7.  They'd be a natural (bitter) alliance and knock off those that haven't been voted out.

Hopefully extinction island will be a 1-on-1 fight to the death each week. Lone survivor rejoins the herd wearing the skins of the defeated as clothing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

i never felt bad for him.  that was the smart choice as a tribe.  they just need to win.  also, his response when he was voted out: "good luck winning any challenges".  i literally laughed out loud. like he was helping. how delusional.  but i agree with you, the hemming and hawing and praying to jesus at the end.  it should be a slam dunk, no brainer decision. the lack of conviction is telling.

41 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

i never felt bad for him.  that was the smart choice as a tribe.  they just need to win.  also, his response when he was voted out: "good luck winning any challenges".  i literally laughed out loud. like he was helping. how delusional.  but i agree with you, the hemming and hawing and praying to jesus at the end.  it should be a slam dunk, no brainer decision. the lack of conviction is telling.

This. Sorry but if you go on Survivor without knowing how to swim well then you shouldn't be surprised that you are going to get sent home early. The way they were building it up I was for sure he was going to pull a Michael Jordan on the ring toss and hit like 5 in a row. Um, nope. 

I assume he stays in the game and next weeks show starts with a one on one comp vs. Reem to see how stays. 

5 hours ago, JimmyHoffa said:

I assume he stays in the game and next weeks show starts with a one on one comp vs. Reem to see how stays. 

There are no 1v1 challenges this year.  The beach will fill up with those voted out and then they will all compete to get back in at a certain time.

21 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Wait.  Which one is from Baylor?

Lauren, the one who found the idol.

13 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

How do we know this?  

I just looked it up. Looks like basically everyone that gets voted out will stay there (if they decide to stay in the game)

I will spoil the rest for those that don't want to know about the specific details of how it all will work. No names or anything just how it's set up-

Spoiler

Every player voted out of the game will have the option of going to Extinction Island, where they’ll wait for two chances to get back in the game, at the merge and at the end.

What will they do on Extinction Island? Sit around, and perhaps behave terribly to encourage others to quit.

Anyone can leave Extinction Island whenever they want, but they can also stay for the length of the entire game, doing nothing except waiting. They won’t compete in challenges, or go to Tribal Council—at least not at first.

Eventually, after the merge, all of the players on Extinction Island will form the jury, meaning theoretically, there could be a 15-member jury and a final three. (There are a few spoilers if you want to know what possibly happens, and those spoilers include names of people.)

And yes, that means every single Survivor contestant might still be on the show on day 39.

On February 28, 2019 at 8:44 AM, JimmyHoffa said:

This. Sorry but if you go on Survivor without knowing how to swim well then you shouldn't be surprised that you are going to get sent home early. The way they were building it up I was for sure he was going to pull a Michael Jordan on the ring toss and hit like 5 in a row. Um, nope. 

If there is a 1 on 1, Reem will kick his ass.

edit. Just read spoiler. Could get interesting on the extinction island thing.

Edited by EastTexan

3 hours ago, EastTexan said:

If there is a 1 on 1, Reem will kick his ass.

edit. Just read spoiler. Could get interesting on the extinction island thing.

i agree, it could get very interesting.  so interesting in fact that they might consider making it a separate show, like top chef's last chance kitchen.  there is some drama on the island,  testimonials, etc, but covering it takes away air time from the drama and testimonials of the real game.  

17 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

i agree, it could get very interesting.  so interesting in fact that they might consider making it a separate show, like top chef's last chance kitchen.  there is some drama on the island,  testimonials, etc, but covering it takes away air time from the drama and testimonials of the real game.  

Does CBS produce additional survivor content for their paid service? I would think more interviews and additional scenes would get super fans to join. 

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Does CBS produce additional survivor content for their paid service? I would think more interviews and additional scenes would get super fans to join. 

i don't know that they have a pay site at all. 

Did anyone else notice that the sand the girl buried her idol in seemed wet?  didn't seem very smart to me.  it also didn't look like she put a shell or rock or any kind of marker over it to show her later where she buried it.

On 3/2/2019 at 7:07 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Yes they do through CBS All Access-

https://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/

I was worried Wentworth was getting voted out last night. Lauren's body is insane and I have no idea why they wanted to keep Wendy. Speaking of if I was in her tribe and she did what they show she does on the preview for next week I would have lost my shit. 

survivor is no place for nonconformity.  she is the odd one out.  kind of like natalie from last season.  she just didn't fit in.  on top of her turrets, she has a bum ankle, strange misplaced chicken sympathy, dishonesty regarding the stolen flint.  I'm surprised at the last vote.  he was the strongest physically.   that tribe is a dumpster fire.  merge cant get here soon enough.

survivor is no place for nonconformity.  she is the odd one out.  kind of like natalie from last season.  she just didn't fit in.  on top of her turrets, she has a bum ankle, strange misplaced chicken sympathy, dishonesty regarding the stolen flint.  I'm surprised at the last vote.  he was the strongest physically.   that tribe is a dumpster fire.  merge cant get here soon enough.

It appears they’ve given up on keeping the tribe strong and are just going to target threats until the merge. She’s such an oddball there’s little chance she wins. I’m guessing the swap will be soon. This is a rout so hopefully it’s next week. I kind of like all the swapping they do now. It keeps everybody on their toes.

14 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

It appears they’ve given up on keeping the tribe strong and are just going to target threats until the merge. She’s such an oddball there’s little chance she wins. I’m guessing the swap will be soon. This is a rout so hopefully it’s next week. I kind of like all the swapping they do now. It keeps everybody on their toes.

I hate all the swaps because it is the direct reason that tribes don't worry about trying to stay strong any more.  Why should they when all you have to do is survive two votes and things will be shaken up?

1 hour ago, WBT said:

I hate all the swaps because it is the direct reason that tribes don't worry about trying to stay strong any more.  Why should they when all you have to do is survive two votes and things will be shaken up?

I get that side of it, but they seem to do that anyway.  I guess it's my way of giving in to the new Survivor strategy.  The game has changed so much since Richard Hatch that I guess if it's going to be a free for all cluster fuck, I'm on board with it being a COMPLETE cluster fuck.  Mix them up.  Don't let anyone get comfortable.  

1 hour ago, WBT said:

I see it both ways.

As for their reason for doing it? Easy produced drama and story line. And probably also to avoid all the non athletic people (and women to a lesser degree) from getting voted off early and leaving only alpha males. 

That said I watched a couple of the first season episodes' on whatever platform has them and holy hell were they boring. It was shocking to see so much air time being given to people just laying around camp doing nothing.  

40 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

did anyone else think it was odd that the girl that found the idol last week never even thought to bring it to tribal? i still think it's lost.  she buried it so close to the shore, i think the tide got it.

He doesn't address what would happen if an idol is lost, but this was interesting to me.  I don't know if I was ever aware of this

Jeff Probst tells EW. “Let’s clear this up for fans and future players: When someone finds an idol, it is their idol, regardless of whether they hide it in their personal bag or bury it in the sand. An idol can never be taken from you. So, if another player discovered an idol that had already been found and then ‘hidden’ in the sand, they could not use the idol, nor could they re-hide it or destroy it.”

Interesting. Presumably then, if someone happened across Lauren’s idol and didn’t realize it belonged to someone else, they would be gently informed by a producer on the beach that the idol had already claimed. But while someone cannot claim an idol that has already been found — even if it has been re-hidden — that doesn’t mean they can’t attempt to gain intel or advantage from their discovery.

“They do have some fun strategic options that could still help them in the game,” notes Probst. “For instance, they could place the idol back where they found it and use their spy techniques to see who returns to that spot. Now they know who has an idol. Or, they could waltz into camp and say ‘Look what I found?’ Sooner or later the rightful owner would have to claim it and now it’s out in the open, thus reducing its impact.

“Or, you could choose to go to individual players and secretly ask them if the idol belongs to them. If you strike gold, you now only have valuable information, and you might have a new alliance.”

These are but a few of the choices players who stumble across a found idol could utilize, and, notes Probst, “I’m sure there are future players already thinking of a dozen other ways you could use this information for maximum advantage.”

2 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

He doesn't address what would happen if an idol is lost, but this was interesting to me.  I don't know if I was ever aware of this

Jeff Probst tells EW. “Let’s clear this up for fans and future players: When someone finds an idol, it is their idol, regardless of whether they hide it in their personal bag or bury it in the sand. An idol can never be taken from you. So, if another player discovered an idol that had already been found and then ‘hidden’ in the sand, they could not use the idol, nor could they re-hide it or destroy it.”

Interesting. Presumably then, if someone happened across Lauren’s idol and didn’t realize it belonged to someone else, they would be gently informed by a producer on the beach that the idol had already claimed. But while someone cannot claim an idol that has already been found — even if it has been re-hidden — that doesn’t mean they can’t attempt to gain intel or advantage from their discovery.

“They do have some fun strategic options that could still help them in the game,” notes Probst. “For instance, they could place the idol back where they found it and use their spy techniques to see who returns to that spot. Now they know who has an idol. Or, they could waltz into camp and say ‘Look what I found?’ Sooner or later the rightful owner would have to claim it and now it’s out in the open, thus reducing its impact.

“Or, you could choose to go to individual players and secretly ask them if the idol belongs to them. If you strike gold, you now only have valuable information, and you might have a new alliance.”

These are but a few of the choices players who stumble across a found idol could utilize, and, notes Probst, “I’m sure there are future players already thinking of a dozen other ways you could use this information for maximum advantage.”

never knew that.  what a stupid rule.  in my mind if you hide an idol and someone else finds it, it's your fault for hiding it poorly.

18 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

never knew that.  what a stupid rule.  in my mind if you hide an idol and someone else finds it, it's your fault for hiding it poorly.

Agree, but I assume their reasoning is to keep people from rummaging through other peoples shit 24/7.