2020 Ryder Cup

smwhorn

• 7 months later...
On 2/20/2019 at 7:29 PM, Surly Bevo said:

I know not necessarily an indicator of success or failure but a guy who was 3-7-1 as a player being Captain seems underwhelming.

Playing well doesn't necessarily make you a good captain, or manager - then again who knows in golf, when the pros have 1 team event every year

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2019 at 12:12 PM, 4th&Five said:

Buying tickets next week. 

Hope it went better for you then it did for me.  What a complete pile of shit this entire Ryder cup ticket lottery turned into.  Lots of folks are pissed at the pga of America for the complete misrepresentation and lack of transparency of the whole process.  I’ll probably get some tickets on the secondary market, but I’m pissed, thought it was a done deal a week ago.  Would love to know the inside story, crooked as shit I’m sure.  Anyone else get screwed today?

• Like 1

Hope it went better for you then it did for me.  What a complete pile of shit this entire Ryder cup ticket lottery turned into.  Lots of folks are pissed at the pga of America for the complete misrepresentation and lack of transparency of the whole process.  I’ll probably get some tickets on the secondary market, but I’m pissed, thought it was a done deal a week ago.  Would love to know the inside story, crooked as shit I’m sure.  Anyone else get screwed today?

I did not try but a buddy of mine got screwed as well. He is not happy to say the least.

glad the PGA of America chose to play the Ryder Cup on a links style course in the U.S.  🙄

i have very little faith we'll win wherever it's played, but i wish they'd try to give us some advantage.

as far as players, i just hope Kevin Kisner gets a spot.  i think he'd be nails in this event.

11 hours ago, HeHateMe said:

that was a massive goat rodeo.  you send out codes to people to buy tix but don't make anyone use the codes to get in line to buy tickets, meaning anyone could have as many windows open as they wanted.  i stayed on just to see how long i would be in the waiting room and i finally got through an hour and forty five minutes after they went on sale.  everything was sold out.  i'll watch on tv.

• 1 year later...

top 6 players automatically qualify for the U.S. team.  right now, those six are:

DJ, Bryson, JT, Brooks, Morikawa, and Xander.

Stricker gets 6 captain's picks.  Spieth is up to No. 11 in points.  he's a slam dunk pick.  P. Reed is No. 7.  should be a lock given his Ryder Cup rep, but what about team chemistry?  i don't think anybody likes him.

Phil just moved up 36 spots to No. 16.  a few more good showings at the U.S. and British Opens, and Phil may fuck around and find himself on the team.

i think Will Zalatoris - who doesn't have full member status on the tour, yet - is gonna be picked.  he's No. 18 in points.  his last three majors:  T6 (U.S. Open); 2 (Masters); T8 (PGA).

i'm hoping Scottie's strong Dell Match Play performance gets him over the hump.  he's No. 15 in points.

https://www.rydercup.com/rankings

If you have the option of not having Reed on the team, you take it.  Nobody wants to spend 5 hours with that prick.  The top guys should get together and tell Stricker to leave him off, similar to what happened with The Dream Team and Isiah Thomas.

• Hook 'Em 2

20_RC_FullColor-BadgeOnly .svg
Sept. 21-26, 2021 Whistling Straits, Kohler, WI

U.S. TEAM RANKINGS    (Last Updated: May 24, 2021)

RANK                                             PLAYER POINTS

1. Dustin JOHNSON                   16,119.15
  2. Bryson DECHAMBEAU.          14,753.06
  3. Justin THOMAS.                     13,958.61
  4. Brooks KOEPKA                      12,989.095
  5. Collin MORIKAWA                   11,874.776
  6. Xander SCHAUFFELE             11,291.19
  7. Patrick REED                             9,791.99
  8. Tony FINAU.                              9,517.26
  9. Daniel BERGER                          8,920.26
  10. Webb SIMPSON.                       8,745.29
  11. Jordan SPIETH                          8,040.25
  12. Billy HORSCHEL.                       7,730.22
  13. Patrick CANTLAY                      7,298.73
  14. Harris ENGLISH                         6,737.28
  15. Scottie SCHEFFLER                  6,733.24
  16. Phil MICKELSON.                      6,575.5717
  17. Sam BURNS.                             6,065.2318
  18. Will ZALATORIS                         5,911.8519
  19. Max HOMA                                5,763.7820
  20. Jason KOKRAK.                         5,556.4521
  21. Gary WOODLAND.                    5,390.6022
  22. Ryan PALMER.                           5,241.6323
  23. Matthew WOLFF.                      5,066.2024
  24. Kevin KISNER                            4,843.5225
  25. Kevin NA                                    4,779.96
  26. Stewart CINK.                           4,682.16
  27. Matt KUCHAR                           4,632.5928

Spieth up to #9 now. Got to be the first pick if it happened today.

In the #7  - #12 list, I think you leave Reed at home but other than that, it's a hard argument to make against any of them. Maybe Horschel because you just never know when he's going to self combust but he's been playing great golf lately plus the match play win. Maybe Webb because as of now, he's not playing much golf dealing with the neck injury but by all accounts, he's an amazing teammate with a ton of experience. Finau lacks the killer instinct. I guess? Lot of tough decisions to be made in order for a Zalatoris, Scheffler, or Mickelson to make it in.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think if Stricker had to pick today it would be  - Jordan, Patty Reed, Cantlay, Berger, Webb & Scottie, and I'd be happy with that. I also know that I'm wrong because Finau is a likely pick, but they'd better put him out early on Sunday because he isn't going to win that Cup coming in late and having to close it out.

11 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

id take lefty over reed and scheffler 

I couldn't pick Lefty; after he changed equipment the week of the Ryder Cup - like 2004, that just showed that what he really cares about is money. No telling what he could show up playing this time. Maybe he'll switch to Cobra to get some of those shitty drivers that BDC uses.

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, maninblack said:

That should move Kiz somewhere around 18

Kiz and Harris English have to be given serious consideration. English has been playing really well. Kiz now has this timely win and has a strong match play record. 

Edited by Jive Turkey

2 hours ago, hookem48 said:

I don't care if Reed steals everyone's wallet, that dude is on the team.

If he’s not an automatic qualifier you, at the least, have to consider if anyone would actually want to play with him.  Maybe just pair him with Bryson and make the rest of the team happy that they don’t have to play with either of them?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jive Turkey said:

Kiz and Harris English have to be given serious consideration. English has been playing really well. Kiz now has this timely win and has a strong match play record. 

An adam scott missed 4 footer may be why kisner ends up on the team. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

An adam scott missed 4 footer may be why kisner ends up on the team. 

Man, if Adam Scott could putt he would be one of the greatest players of his generation.  As it is, at least he had one major. 

59 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

If he’s not an automatic qualifier you, at the least, have to consider if anyone would actually want to play with him.  Maybe just pair him with Bryson and make the rest of the team happy that they don’t have to play with either of them?

that dude plays with more balls than the rest of the American team combined and they all know it.

Ryder Cup Decisions Should Be About More Than Who’s Hot & Who’s Not

Spoiler

Every two years at this time of the summer, like clockwork, we collectively start spewing scalding hot takes on whether Player A is really the 12th-best American golfer and “deserves” to be part of the Ryder Cup team or whether Player B is really the better fit for the squad. Of course, it took a global pandemic to push that clockwork back an extra year this time.

The latest take session swirling around is a debate over the potential assets of Wyndham Championship winner Kevin Kisner, who outlasted five others in a two-hole playoff Sunday afternoon.

Kisner is a fan favorite – the type of guy we’d all like to play a six-man E-9 with, while consuming plenty of cold beverages and laughing over the massive number of bets being offered. He’s the guy who made famous the line, “This ain’t no hobby.” Essentially, he’s one of us, if only we trash-talked better, backed it up more frequently and rolled in tons of putts all the time.

All of those things – his intensity, his match-play record, his ability to mesh with any teammate – are terrific reasons for U.S. captain Steve Stricker to think about naming him to this year’s roster. And there’s no doubt that if Kisner wasn’t already under consideration, then he certainly is now.

What I don’t like about him is that he’s the same guy who earlier this year said, “I’m not going to win at Bethpage Black or Torrey Pines.” The unsubtle insinuation is that those are bombers’ tracks and he is decidedly not a bomber. We can debate exactly where this year’s host course Whistling Straits ranks among the big-boy courses, but here are two inarguable facts: It played over 7,500 yards when it hosted the PGA Championship six years ago, and Kisner missed the cut that week.

Neither of those things should impugn him or his prospects of making the team, by any means, but it does underscore a bigger point here: Too often these wildcard selections have been based on who “deserves” it or what is “right” or what “should” be done. Essentially, most U.S. team decisions over the years have frequently paralleled the popular vote. Maybe they aren’t made specifically to draw the least amount of criticism, but that’s been a definitive pattern.

Which is ironic, considering they all tend to draw a healthy dose of criticism by week’s end.

To simplify: These picks shouldn’t be about rewarding the players who won tournaments or those who accumulated the most ranking points outside of the guys who qualified.

The only consideration should be naming players to the team who are best equipped to help win. That’s all.

Three years ago, other than a few moans about Phil Mickelson’s presence, then-captain Jim Furyk’s four extra picks were widely lauded, as if they were all no-brainer selections. Maybe they were, and maybe all of this is Monday morning quarterbacking, but a few weeks later, his team arrived at Le Golf National and quickly realized that it barely had any players who were fit for the course.

This should be an especially understandable concept for the game’s growing number of fans who also bet the sport on a weekly basis. From course yardage to type of greens to past results, we regularly study which players are suited for specific courses. When the Ryder Cup comes around, though, we tend to let our personal biases take over and instead offer our suggestions based on intangibles like mindset and grittiness.

None of this, once again, is to suggest that Kisner couldn’t – or won’t – be a valuable member of this year’s team. Personally, after the currently qualified top-six of Collin Morikawa, Dustin Johnson, Bryson DeChambeau, Brooks Koepka, Justin Thomas and Xander Schauffele, I’d have Jordan Spieth, Patrick Reed, Daniel Berger, Jason Kokrak and Sam Burns as my first five right now, with Kisner perhaps the final front-runner in a crowded group that includes Patrick Cantlay, Harris English, Webb Simpson, Tony Finau, Scottie Scheffler, Billy Horschel and maybe even Mickelson.

What I disagree with is the tired suggestion that these picks should identify the “hot” players who have been faring the best leading up to the three-day competition. That might be a sensible strategy on the surface, but I’d counter with this: Exactly seven days before winning Sunday’s playoff, Kisner lost a whopping 7.86 strokes to the field with his approach shots in Memphis.

The point is, “hot” doesn’t last. Results vary wildly from week to week, so a mid-August victory hardly has any bearing on late-September success.

With a record half-dozen wildcard selections, the thought process shouldn’t simply be about who’s best or who’s hot. It’s about preparing the entire lineup.

Sure, the captain and his cadre of cohorts need to be flexible and adjust as necessary, but there should be a plan in place when making each of these decisions.

Maybe Kisner could play the steady influence in fourballs to Koepka’s aggressiveness in the most no-nonsense pairing since the days of Ben Hogan. Perhaps Kokrak’s length off the tee and alpha-dog persona make him a natural foursomes partner for Johnson. And yes, we can assume that Spieth will be named to the team no matter what, but a pending four-session partnership with good buddy Thomas could render him even more of a lock.

These are the little tricks which, when we’re trying to decipher why the Europeans have edged the Americans more in recent years than vice versa, we can point to and see a difference. If we’ve learned anything over these past two decades, it’s that having the higher-ranked players on the roster and being the obvious betting favorite ahead of time repeatedly have no impact on the final outcomes.

The latest debate – until another candidate shoots up the leaderboard in a few days and starts a new one – is about whether Kisner should be a part of this team, with only a few more weeks to decide the captain’s picks. Some will suggest that he owns the perfect mindset; others will insist that he’s not a great course fit. I agree with each of these assessments, as noted above.

Really, though, we should be asking better questions – and hopefully, these are questions that Stricker is currently contemplating with his cabinet members.

Why should a specific player be on this roster? How will he help the team win? With whom will he play in partnered matches? What definitive role will he play?

Even though this is a team of all-star golfers, it’s not an all-star team. This isn’t about simply naming the best – or most deserving – players to the roster and letting them enjoy the spoils.

The goal is to win, of course. Like any team trying to win a championship, attaining that goal will require planning, preparation and proper decision-making.

I was listening to a recent No Laying Up podcast and they were saying that the Euros were laughing at our team pairings. The Euros have left us in the dust in the use  of analytics. I hope Stricker and his support staff have embraced it and expanded their toolbox. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Fuck Reed.  If you have the option to leave him off you take it.  Good for team morale.

team morale is already in the crapper with the whole Brooks and Bryson circus (assuming that feud is real).  may as well add Reid into the mix.  at least he will win some points. 

19 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Fuck Reed.  If you have the option to leave him off you take it.  Good for team morale.

Morale didn't seem to be an issue 2016 Ryder Cup.  If he is playing well and helping the team win, I don't think morale will be an issue.  Do other tour members like him less now than in 2016?  I don't know.

21 minutes ago, Hate said:

Morale didn't seem to be an issue 2016 Ryder Cup.  If he is playing well and helping the team win, I don't think morale will be an issue.  Do other tour members like him less now than in 2016?  I don't know.

I think, and judging from your username I think you probably agree, that it is healthy to have a few athletes on your personal hate list.  I fucking hate Patrick Reed.

1 hour ago, Revolution512 said:

I think they’ll have to weigh who will want to pair with Reed. Tiger took that on last time, not sure that person exists. Jordan and JT will likely be together again. Bryson and Reed could be lethal cheating together

the official following Reed and BDC is gonna need to have head of rules on speed dial.