2020 Ryder Cup

smwhorn

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Supposedly Morikawa and Schauffele are good friends and a likely pairing... 

Also possibly Cantlay/Xander pairing ??

Forgot about below post -- Thx for this goes to @Jive Turkey 

Jive Turkey:  "last President's Cup was cool because Tiger was the captain and it was at Royal Melbourne.    Cantlay was nails there.  he and Xander were a good pairing."

Glad Scottie made it. Hope he plays well. 

When was the last time 2 Horns played? Kite and Crenshaw? Crenshaw and Leonard? 

Alright - looked it up. Kite and Crenshaw played together in '81, '83 and '87. Crenshaw's last appearance was '95 - Leonard's first was '97. 

Also - in Leonard's first two appearances ('97, '99) the captians were Kite and Crenshaw respectively. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Hate said:

Jordan and Scottie would make a great pairing for alternate shot. Jordan would benefit from the length and being in the fairway.

If Jordan has his way, he’ll team with JT. But I do hope Stricker and his team use analytics to determine pairings, and not just which guys are friends (although that should still be relevant).

Before he announced the captain’s picks today, he did thank the analytics staff.  So that team is in place and will hopefully be a factor in pairings. I have no idea if Jordan and JT make a good team based on the analytics. They might. But if they don’t, I hope they aren’t paired just because they’re buddies and that’ll make them happy. 

Edited by Jive Turkey

Spieth/Thomas were 3-1 at the 2018 Ryder Cup.  they beat Casey/Hatton, Poulter/Rahm, and Poulter/McIlroy (lost to Fleetwood/Molinari).  i expect to see that team again.  i would think the analytics match up based on their relative strengths.  but i don't fucking know.  maybe they're just good together.

Edited by Jive Turkey

Jordan and JT post wins - they were our only good pairing in Paris. They are also good personality fits.  Xander and Cantlay were the best pairing at Royal Melbourne.I think you play those 2 pairings all sessions.

After that... who knows...

Scottie and Colin - good length from Scottie, best iron play in the game from Colin.

Berger and Brooks. Good short game matched up with good off the tee

DJ and Finau - complimentary games, complimentary demeanor.

Bryson and English - because that's all that's left

• Haha 1

Bryson-Morikawa should be the third pairing.  They are the best driver and iron player in the world, respectively, by a country mile and you might as well pair those advantages together. The difference in strokes gained off the tee between Bryson and 2nd on the list is the same as between 2nd and 18th. The difference in strokes gained approach the green between Morikawa and 2nd on the list is the same as between 2nd and 17th.

English's strength is his short game and I would pair him with Brooks.  

DJ-Finau is fine, which would leave Scheffler-Berger who are kind of a poor man's Bryson-Morikawa.

For Friday foursomes, I would play Jordan-JT, Xander-Cantlay, Bryson-Morikawa and DJ-Finau.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Reed is a fucking psychopath. We all know that any tweet saying he should be playing is a burner account for he or his wife (she's been caught in the past)  and then he likes them. 

Why is he hated again? 

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/32177937/patrick-reed-likes-tweets-disparaging-captain-steve-stricker-ryder-cup-snub

On 9/8/2021 at 3:55 PM, alincoln said:

Bryson-Morikawa should be the third pairing.  They are the best driver and iron player in the world, respectively, by a country mile and you might as well pair those advantages together. The difference in strokes gained off the tee between Bryson and 2nd on the list is the same as between 2nd and 18th. The difference in strokes gained approach the green between Morikawa and 2nd on the list is the same as between 2nd and 17th.

English's strength is his short game and I would pair him with Brooks.  

DJ-Finau is fine, which would leave Scheffler-Berger who are kind of a poor man's Bryson-Morikawa.

For Friday foursomes, I would play Jordan-JT, Xander-Cantlay, Bryson-Morikawa and DJ-Finau.  

Play Bryson only in Fourball, not Foursomes

Fourball is played during the morning sessions, while foursomes are played in the afternoon. Sunday’s matches are straight-up match play.  In Fourballs, each captain picks four teams of two. Both players on each team play their own ball, so four balls are in play every hole. Each team takes the lowest of its two scores on each hole, and the team with the lowest score per hole wins that hole. If the scores are tied, the hole is halved.

Foursome matches are where it gets to be a little confusing. Captains pick four teams of two again, but the instead of each player playing his own ball, each two-man team plays one ball per hole, and players take turns hitting until the hole is complete. In other words: alternate shot.

Edited by LTtxfan

18 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Patrick Reed 'likes' tweets disparaging captain Steve Stricker over Ryder Cup snub

Steve Stricker's at-large picks for his U.S. Ryder Cup team did not include Patrick Reed, one of the few American players with a winning record in the competition that has frustratingly seen Europe capture nine of the last 12 events.

The decision drew plenty of complaints on social media and a good bit of support for Reed, the 2018 Masters champion who has been dubbed "Captain America'' and relished his role in the U.S. Cup competitions.

Several of the tweets were critical of Stricker, one referring to him as a "coward,'' and others basically chiding the captain for leaving Reed out. Reed or whoever runs his Twitter account "liked'' more than a dozen of those tweets, including the ones that were disparaging of Stricker.

r906671_944x531_16-9.jpg&w=570&format=jp 

r906667_904x509_16-9.jpg&w=570&format=jp 

Last month, Reed was hospitalized with bilateral pneumonia and said at the Tour Championship his life was in danger. He was able to play -- he tied for 17th in the Atlanta -- but was forced to drive from his home in Houston to Atlanta because doctors feared flying would be difficult on his lungs.

"Patrick Reed ... that was a very, very difficult call,'' Stricker said. "Kind of lost sleep over that one. He's a tremendous competitor. He brings a lot of match-play golf. His record at the Ryder Cup is pretty darned good. It was a very difficult call. It was just the uncertainty of his health and really the lack of play that led to our decision down the stretch.''

Reed has a 7-3-2 record in three Ryder Cup appearances, with three singles victories. But none of his team victories came without Spieth, who played all four team matches in France with Justin Thomas.

Reed went 1-2 in France and was 1-3 in Melbourne at the 2019 Presidents Cup.  

Edited by LTtxfan

44 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Who should make Team Europe for the 2021 Ryder Cup? | On The Charge Report

So projected last 3 picks are:   

• Sergio,
  • Poulter
  • Shane Lowry (if he falls out of Top 9 spot)

Justin Rose and Henrik Stenson are possibly the last two that don't make Team Europe... 

(Many other experts still expect "Rosy" to find a spot  on Team Europe though)

DAMN GOOD TEAM

Edited by LTtxfan

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Here are some of the Tweets Patrick Reed liked on Wednesday: 

ESPN’s Bob Harig reported that some of the Tweets Reed liked expressed disdain for Stricker, one even calling him a “coward.” Now some of those Tweets don’t show up in his liked section.  😂😂😂

Edited by LTtxfan

6 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Bryson is top 20 in strokes gained putting. 

Third best on the team after English and Xander.  If that is suspect putting, we are fucked.  Morikawa can't putt but he will put it closer to the pin than anyone else in the world.

Edited by alincoln
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

I’m not a fan of Bryson/Morikawa being paired together. Bryson is too erratic off the tee and both are suspect putters. I understand wanting to pair them together and being at home may help both as the pressure will be less.

I think we will see Spieth/Scheffler at some point

I think if we see Spieth/Scheffler it's likely only because JT isn't playing well or needs rest for whatever reason. I think that's our best pairing.

I would love to see Scheffler paired with someone fiery like... Well, JT or Spieth. 

finding the right pairing for Bryson is so crucial because, when he's on, he can just dominate a course.  

this is all on Stricker.  i'm sure not many guys want to team with Bryson, but somebody has to do it.  let the analytics staff figure it out.

just looked at Bryson's 2018 Ryder Cup results:  0-3.  but here's the thing, Furyk only played him in the alternate shot matches.  WTF?  that was so damn stupid.  that's the worst format for him of the two.  he should have only played in the fourballs so he could focus on his own game and try to go low.  but that didn't happen.  Bryson paired with Phil in one alternate shot and Tiger in the other one.  they got crushed in both, 5&4.

maybe Harris English is the guy for Bryson in fourballs.  Harris can be steady Eddie and keep the team in holes while Bryson crushes drivers any time he can (and at 7,500 yards, he should be able to do that a lot) and racks up birdies.