2020 Ryder Cup

smwhorn

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS

Practice Days

Tuesday, September 21
Ryder Cup Practice Round
9:00 AM forward
Players may practice at any hole during these times and may or may not play all holes.

Wednesday, September 22
Ryder Cup Practice Round
9:00 AM forward
Players may practice at any hole during these times and may or may not play all holes.

U.S. Junior Ryder Cup Team Exhibition 
1:00 PM – 5:00 PM

Thursday, September 23
Celebrity Matches
8:45 AM - 12:30 PM
9-hole scramble featuring celebrities from the United States VS. Europe.*

Ryder Cup Practice Round
10:00 AM - 2:00 PM

Pre-Opening Ceremony
3:00 PM – 4:00 PM

Opening Ceremony
4:00 PM – 5:00 PM

This ceremony marks the official start of the 43rd Ryder Cup and will feature live music, anthems and Team introductions. All spectators with a Thursday ticket are invited to attend this event located in the Dye Plaza.

*Competition will be played on holes 1, 9, and 10-18 and may be subject to change.

Match Days
Starting times as listed are considered approximate, and are based on the assumption that there are no delays, inclement weather, etc.

Friday, September 24
Morning Matches (Foursome)
7:05 AM, 7:21 AM, 7:37 AM, 7:53 AM

Afternoon Matches (Fourball)
12:10 PM, 12:26 PM, 12:42 PM, 12:58 PM

Play concludes at approximately 6:30 PM

Saturday, September 25
Morning Matches (Foursome)
7:05 AM, 7:21AM, 7:37 AM, 7:53 AM

Afternoon Matches (Fourball)
12:10 PM, 12:26 PM, 12:42 PM, 12:58 PM

Play concludes at approximately 6:30 PM

Sunday, September 26
Singles Matches
11:04 AM – 1:05 PM (11 minute intervals)

Play concludes at approximately 4:55 PM

Winning Team Trophy Presentation
Approximately 5:00 PM

The Winning Team Trophy Presentation Ceremony will take place on the 18th Green immediately following the end of play on Sunday, September 26.

TELEVISION COVERAGE

Friday, September 24
Live Broadcast, GOLF 7:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Featured Matches, RyderCup.com & Official Ryder Cup App 7:00 AM - 6:00 PM

Saturday, September 25
Live Broadcast, GOLF 7:00 AM - 8:00 AM
Live Broadcast, NBC 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Featured Matches, RyderCup.com & Official Ryder Cup App 7:00 AM - 6:00 PM

Sunday, September 26
Live Broadcast, NBC 11:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Featured Matches, RyderCup.com & Official Ryder Cup App 11:00 AM - 5:00 PM

• Hook 'Em 2

Weather may possibly be a little wet and windy for this Ryder Cup... that's what Europe Team is hoping for.

“If it’s a darts fest, we have got no chance,” McGinley says. “I mean that, we have no chance. If there’s a 30-mph wind and squally showers, as we call it in Ireland, and it becomes a bit of a dogfight, I’m much more liking our chances in that case. You look at the performances of Patrick Cantlay and Bryson DeChambeau in the darts fest that the [FedEx Cup] playoffs were. Every one of those events was a darts fest of soft golf courses with soft greens and virtually no wind.

“You look at how much the Americans revel in those conditions—warm, humid, ball flying miles. The Americans eat those conditions up. The golf course could certainly give us a chance. I’ll be watching that weather forecast very, very closely.”

On 9/17/2021 at 12:09 AM, Hate said:

I could actually see the pairing working out.  Neither one would want to hit a bad shot so they can't be blamed if they lose.  It may just be a genius move if Stricker has the balls to do it...he doesn't.

we're starting with alternate shot on Friday morning.  Bryson shouldn't be within 500 yards of the teebox for alternate shot.  there's no way in hell he should be playing any alternate shot matches.  he should sit both of those out and only play fourballs.  the dude is a lone wolf who marches to the beat of his own weird drummer.  the fact that he only played in alternate shot matches in France in 2018 is an indictment of how bad Furyk was.  Bryson got destroyed in both matches 5 & 4.

pairing Bryson and Brooks reeks of pairing Tiger and Phil.  just a disaster waiting to happen.  but, if Stricker wanted to do it, fourballs would be the way to go.  but as @LTtxfan mentioned above, if Brooks' wrist is an issue, playing him in fourballs may not be wise.

i am sooooo curious about the pairing.  Spieth/Thomas is the only lock i can think of.  Cantlay/Xander seems like a lock, but Xander and Morikawa are buds.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Gotta love the attitude of Berger and Scottie. Matches the intensity Spieth and Thomas bring to these. We’ve all been waiting on the leadership change amongst the players, it’s finally here.

yep. hearing Scottie say that he shed some tears when he found out he made the team is a good thing.  it means something to him.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

The course setup will really favor bombers. Advantage ‘merica

not sure if serious - the advantage averages out to be about 4 yards/player, including the 10 yards deficit that Poulter has as the shortest hitter on either team 

Spoiler

Avg driving distance (PGA stats/Euro tour stats)
USA
Bryson 323.7
DJ 312.9
Brooks 310.7 (if healthy)
Xander 307.6
Scottie 305.0
Finau 305.5
JT 303.9
Cantlay 302.8
Berger 296.0
Jordan 299.5
English 299.4
Morikawa 295.2

Euro

Rory 319.3
Sergio 309.4
Rahm 309.0
Casey 303.9
Viktor 302.2
Fleetwood 300.8
Lowry 299.6
Hatton 299.0
Wiesberger 297.3
Westy 294.1
Fitzpatrick 293.5
Poulter 285.2 - the only outlier, and he has historically risen to this event

we're starting with alternate shot on Friday morning.  Bryson shouldn't be within 500 yards of the teebox for alternate shot.  there's no way in hell he should be playing any alternate shot matches.  he should sit both of those out and only play fourballs.  the dude is a lone wolf who marches to the beat of his own weird drummer.  the fact that he only played in alternate shot matches in France in 2018 is an indictment of how bad Furyk was.  Bryson got destroyed in both matches 5 & 4.
pairing Bryson and Brooks reeks of pairing Tiger and Phil.  just a disaster waiting to happen.  but, if Stricker wanted to do it, fourballs would be the way to go.  but as [mention=3553]LTtxfan[/mention] mentioned above, if Brooks' wrist is an issue, playing him in fourballs may not be wise.
i am sooooo curious about the pairing.  Spieth/Thomas is the only lock i can think of.  Cantlay/Xander seems like a lock, but Xander and Morikawa are buds.

And that’s fair too. But that was before BDC bulked up and started crushing drives the way he does now. His length off the tee could be really helpful to some of the other players in alternate shot.

3 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

pairing Bryson and Brooks reeks of pairing Tiger and Phil.  just a disaster waiting to happen.  but, if Stricker wanted to do it, fourballs would be the way to go.  but as @LTtxfan mentioned above, if Brooks' wrist is an issue, playing him in fourballs may not be wise.

Bryson was playing in Europe in 2018 at a course intentionally designed to favor the Euros and we got shellacked that week. I wouldn't use that as a data point for this week. We probably need at least a couple of points out of him to win - same with Koepka. I have little faith in the last few captains picks - if they play well then awesome - but we shouldn't expect much out of them. We need our best players to play well to win - that is true of every Ryder. 

On 9/17/2021 at 12:14 AM, ztejas said:

If we are sitting two of the best 10 players in the world until singles we are going to get fucked up the ass. I don't care how douchey they are we need at least one of them if not both to play well throughout this thing to have a shot. 

This doesn’t make a lot of sense no matter the metric. 

Yes they have their two legends in Poulter and Garcia. Westwood is barely above .500 after all these years and a consistent loser in singles. What’s so scary? Rory is 11-9-1 in his career, .500 in singles. Casey 4-3-5. Rahm, Fitz, Hatton all currently have losing records.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Our shitty track record over the past 25 years?

You could make the same comment you just made about so many of these that we either lost or barely won. 

The point is, clearly talent or OWGR rank has proven to be useless. So you better find the guys mentally ready to go, that this means something too. So again, if they struggle early I’d sit both of their asses.

4 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

The point is, clearly talent or OWGR rank has proven to be useless

I wouldn't say that at all. But we can agree to disagree. 

3 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

Stricker presser right now.  He said he most likely won't pair Bryson and Brooks.  He said the 6 guys who automatically qualified had a group dinner, and Bryson and Brooks got along.  They've agreed to put their beef on hold.

Glad they put their fake beef on hold. Although watching people freak out about playing either of them at any point has been entertaining.

8 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

Gotta love the attitude of Berger and Scottie. Matches the intensity Spieth and Thomas bring to these. We’ve all been waiting on the leadership change amongst the players, it’s finally here.

Yeah, I'm excited for new blood for USA -- hope Harris English let's some personality show.

Finau might be a real sleeper in this Ryder Cup 🙏🙏🙏

3 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

Agreed. Scottie makes a ton of birdies. 

I've read somewhere that Scottie makes a lot of sense in 4-ball because of his ability to make a ton of birdies...

I still think Koepka needs to start out Friday afternoon in the 4-ball matches -- let's see how healthy he really is and keep him confident by playing his own shots tee to green.

Question:  

I know that partners have to agree on which type golf ball they play in Foursomes, but what about 4-Ball??

Example -- In 4-Ball, could 1 USA player use a Titleist and his partner use a Bridgestone golf ball ??

For the new folks...

Foursomes:  Foursomes is a form of team match or stroke play covered under Rule 22 in the Rules of Golf.

“(Foursomes is) a form of match play or stroke play where you and a partner compete as a side by playing one ball in alternating order on each hole. You and your partner must alternate in teeing off to start each hole.”   This format is also known as alternate shot.

Four-ball:   Four-ball is also a form of team match or stroke play, and it is covered under Rule 23.

“Four-Ball is a form of play (in either match play or stroke play) involving partners where you and your partner compete together as a side, with each of you playing your own ball, and your side’s score for a hole is the lower score of the two of you on that hole.”  This format is also known by other names, such as low ball or best ball.

57 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Finau might be a real sleeper in this Ryder Cup

I think Finau and Scottie are the two flex golfers. They could play all of the Friday and Saturday matches and could be paired with any of the other guys. They’re both easy going. They’re both long hitters who can make tons of birdies in four balls but can still keep it in play in alternate shot.  I bet we see each of them with different partners each day. 

• Like 1

Ball type might offer early hints as to some possible pairing options in Foursomes??? 

Ryder Cup 2021: The clubs Team USA will use at Whistling Straits

By E. Michael Johnson         September 19, 2021

1632018751702.jpeg

Sam Greenwood

Like the squad itself, the equipment in the bags of the 2021 U.S. Ryder Cup team is an interesting mix—not just in terms of varying companies and models but in set makeup as well.

By the numbers, Titleist has the most golf balls, wedges, putters and hybrids in play (the only two, used by Patrick Cantlay and Jordan Spieth). TaylorMade has the most drivers, fairway woods and irons). Still, other than Titleist in balls and wedges, it is far from a dominant count. Ping, Callaway, Cobra, Srixon all got some call, as did Bridgestone in golf balls and smaller companies such as Artisan (wedges) and SIK (putters). There also are three clubs from Nike in the bags despite the company exiting the equipment business in the summer of 2016.

The below is what was in the bag at year-end for the players. Is it possible some things could change for Whistling Straits? Of course. But for now this is a good look at the gear the U.S. side will likely use in Wisconsin.

Daniel Berger

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

Driver: TaylorMade SIM, 9 degrees

3-wood: TaylorMade SIM2 Max, 15 degrees

Irons (3): Callaway Apex 16; (4-PW): TaylorMade MC Forged 11

Wedges: Callaway Mack Daddy Forged (50, 56 degrees); Callaway Mack Daddy 4 (60 degrees)

Putter: TaylorMade Spider X

Patrick Cantlay

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Driver: Titleist TS3 (Mitsubishi Diamana ZF 60 TX), 9.5 degrees

3-wood: Titleist 915F, 15 degrees

Hybrid: Titleist TS2, 21 degrees

Irons (4-9): Titleist 718 AP2; (PW): Titleist Vokey SM7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7 (52, 56 degrees); Titleist SM8 (61 degrees)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5

Bryson DeChambeau

Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro (LA Golf Axis Blue 60 X), 5.5 degrees

3-wood: Cobra Radspeed Prototype B, 10 degrees

5-wood: Cobra King Speedzone Tour 13.5 degrees

Irons (4-5): Cobra King Prototype Utility; (6-PW): Cobra King Forged Tour One Length

Wedges: Artisan prototype (47, 53, 58 degrees)

Putter: SIK Pro C-Series Armlock prototype

Harris English

Driver: Ping G400 (Mitsubishi Kuro Kage XD 70), 9 degrees

3-wood: Ping G400, 14.5 degrees

Irons (3): Ping G410 Crossover; (4-9): Ping Blueprint; (PW): Ping Glide 3.0

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (52, 56 degrees); Ping Glide Forged (60 degrees)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale HoHum

Tony Finau

Driver: Ping G425 LST (Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Limited 70 TX), 9 degrees

3-wood: Ping G400 Stretch, 13 degrees

Irons (3): Nike Vapor Fly Pro; (4-PW): Ping Blueprint

Wedges: Ping Glide Forged (50, 56 degrees); Titleist Vokey SM8 60 degrees

Putter: Ping PLD Anser 2

Dustin Johnson

Ball: TaylorMade TP5x

Driver: TaylorMade SIM Max (Fujikura Speeder 661 Evolution 2.0 X), 10.5 degrees

5-wood: TaylorMade SIM2 Max, 18 degrees

7-wood: TaylorMade SIM Max, 21 degrees

Irons (3-PW): TaylorMade P730

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 (52, 60 degrees)

Putter: TaylorMade Spider Tour IB

Brooks Koepka

Driver: TaylorMade SIM2, 10.5 degrees

3-wood: TaylorMade M2 (2017), 16.5 degrees

Irons (3): Nike Vapor Fly Pro; (4-PW): Srixon ZX7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 (52, 56 degrees); Titleist Vokey SM4 TVD (60 degrees)

Putter: Scotty Cameron by Titleist Newport 2 SLT 10

Colin Morikawa

Ball: TaylorMade TP5

Driver: TaylorMade SIM (Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Limited 70 TX), 8 degrees

3-wood: TaylorMade SIM, 14 degrees

5-wood: TaylorMade SIM2, 19 degrees

Irons (4): TaylorMade P770; (5-6): TaylorMade P7MC; (7-PW): TaylorMade P730

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 (50 degrees); Titleist Vokey SM8 (56, 60 degrees)

Putter: TaylorMade TP Juno

Xander Schauffele

Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

Driver: Callaway Epic Speed D (Graphite Design Tour AD BB 7x), 9 degrees

3-wood: Callaway Epic Speed D , 15 degrees

7-wood: Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero, 20 degrees

Irons (4-PW): Callaway Apex TCB

Wedges: Callaway Jaws MD5 (52 degrees); Titleist Vokey SM6 (56 degrees); Titleist Vokey SM8 (60 degrees)

Putter: Odyssey O-Works Red 7 CH

Scottie Scheffler

Driver: Ping G425 LST (Fujikura Atmos Black Tour 7x), 9 degrees

3-wood: Nike VR Pro, 15 degrees

Irons (3): Srixon ZU85; (4): TaylorMade P7MC; (5-PW): TaylorMade P7TW

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 (50, 56 degrees); Titleist Vokey SM8 WedgeWorks (60 degrees)

Putter: Scotty Cameron by Titleist Super Rat prototype

Jordan Spieth

Driver: Titleist TSi3 (Fujikura Ventus Blue 6X), 10 degrees

3-wood: Titleist TS2, 15 degrees

Hybrid: Titleist 818 H2, 21 degrees

Irons (4-9): Titleist T100; (PW): Titleist Vokey SM8

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 (52, 56 degrees); Titleist Vokey prototype (60 degrees)

Putter: Scotty Cameron by Titleist 009

Justin Thomas

Driver: Titleist TSi2 (Mitsubishi Diamana ZF 60), 9 degrees

3-wood: Titleist TS3, 15 degrees

5-wood: Titleist 915Fd, 18 degrees

Irons (4): Titleist T100 (2019); (5-9): Titleist 620 MB; (PW): Titleist Vokey SM7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7 (52 degrees); Titleist Vokey SM8 (56, 60 degrees)

Putter: Scotty Cameron by Titleist X 5

Edited by LTtxfan
typo

10 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

I've read somewhere that Scottie makes a lot of sense in 4-ball because of his ability to make a ton of birdies...  I still think Koepka needs to start out Friday afternoon in the 4-ball matches -- let's see how healthy he really is and keep him confident by playing his own shots tee to green.

Question:  I know that partners have to agree on which type golf ball they play in Foursomes, but what about 4-Ball??

Example -- In 4-Ball, could 1 USA player use a Titleist and his partner use a Bridgestone golf ball ??

Just saw on Golf Channel ticker that this year's Format is now 4-Ball matches in the mornings (Fri/Sat),  and Foursomes matches are in the afternoon (Fri/Sat).

So I would send Koepka out Friday morning on one team, and send Bryson out Friday morning on another team.  In the Friday afternoon Foursome matches, I would definitely consider sitting Koepka and Bryson.  

Maybe the 4 who don't play Friday morning come from these five players:   Morikawa, English, DJ, Finau, and Berger

Edited by LTtxfan
typo

13 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Question:  

I know that partners have to agree on which type golf ball they play in Foursomes, but what about 4-Ball??

In fourball, you play your own ball, whatever you want, doesn't matter what your partner is playing.

Pretty sure fourball uses the same rules as stroke play here - the ball type/brand you start with, you have to use throughout the round - so if you start with a 2020 Titleist Pro V1, you have to use a 2020 Pro V1 throughout and can't switch to a 2021 Pro V1 or AVX.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

In fourball, you play your own ball, whatever you want, doesn't matter what your partner is playing.

Pretty sure fourball uses the same rules as stroke play here - the ball type/brand you start with, you have to use throughout the round - so if you start with a 2020 Titleist Pro V1, you have to use a 2020 Pro V1 throughout and can't switch to a 2021 Pro V1 or AVX.

Thx... figured that was the case.

Bryson's ball preference has to be a lot different from most of the other USA players.  That's why imo 4-Ball makes more sense for Bryson...

30 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

You can look at the US pods and see the pairings

yeah, here's how they went out today. 

Spieth/Thomas will play all 4 matches on Friday/Saturday.  Bryson/Scottie should play both fourballs.

i would imagine Cantlay/Xander play all 4 matches on Friday/Saturday.  i could see Morikawa/DJ going all 4, as well.  depends on Morikawa's back.

Finau should play all 4 matches on Friday/Saturday.  Brooks depends on his wrist.  Berger and English seem very flexible.  this group could really be mix and match.  whoever is hot will keep playing.

Edited by Jive Turkey
  • Like 1

Yeah Morikawa back, Brooks wrist, and liability of Bryson in Foursomes makes it easier to predict pairing for matches.

Here's one option:

Day 1   Fourball

• Bryson/Scottie
  • Brooks/Finau
  • Cantlay/Xander
  • Thomas/Spieth

Day 1   Foursomes 

• Berger/English
  • DJ/Morikawa
  • Cantlay/Xander
  • Thomas/Spieth

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Ball type might offer early hints as to some possible pairing options in Foursomes??? 

Ryder Cup 2021: The clubs Team USA will use at Whistling Straits

By E. Michael Johnson         September 19, 2021 

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/ryder-cup-2021-clubs-usa

New article on golf ball compatibility for Foursomes...

Potential Ryder Cup pairings based on which balls players play

September 21, 2021    By GolfWRX, PGATOUR.COM

https://www.pgatour.com/equipmentreport/2021/09/21/potential-2021-ryder-cup-pairings-based-on-players-golf-balls-titleist-bridgestone-taylormade-callaway.html

God after listening to BDC’s interview I almost had to pull over to throw up. He simply can’t help himself but go down his bingo card where he mentions these every time.

* swing speed
* gettin my ball speed to 200
* distance
* how hard he works out
* check out my social media and watch my journey
* a lot of people aren’t nice to me on social media but a lot of people love me

“Well that’s all great Bryson but I asked you if you had played this course before”

He and brooks are poison and I don’t see how the Euros don’t beat our asses again. They all care about winning the Ryder cup, guys like Bryson and brooks could care less about winning it, that is unless if caused them to get more likes on Instagram.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Golf can work however you want it to work.  We gave a guy a 10 shot lead over some of the field in the playoffs.

One is how a tournament is set up one is changing a fundamental rule of the game. You play your ball as it lies. Unless it's on the green. 

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

If we want a competition with best on best, you don’t change the equipment for one week.

It's a golf ball. Tiger won, how many majors with Nike clubs and balls? Like you said it's best on best - I think they can figure it out for one round.