2020 Ryder Cup

smwhorn

3 hours ago, dcar00 said:

have to give it to stricker.  he played it well.  he knew these 3 were the weakest guys all week.

I thought Finau would take it to Poulter.

easy to play them last knowing it was over, would have been very interesting what he would have done if it would have been closer

16 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

I thought Spieth played pretty well all week. The only player that was off on the US squad was Berger to me. Granted the broadcast was complete shit so hard to tell 

He couldn't buy a putt. And at some point lip outs become a self fulfilling prophecy. 

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

DJ is definitely sauced in this USA Team interview session right now on Golf Channel... 

Here's the full thing. It's phenomenal. Starts at 12:00 so about 30 mins long. For everyone that enjoyed watching this week I'd recommend - puts a nice bow on things. 

Main takeaway: this group fucks. Gotta go win one overseas but I like our chances. 

7 hours ago, dcar00 said:

pretty crazy that of the 3 wins in singles that Euros had 2 were from their 2 oldest players.

Well, it's Westwood and Poulter playing in what is almost certainly their last RC. They would have rather died on the course than lose, especially Poulter. That's the message they're sending to the younger generation of Euros, and why the US had better keep their shit wired tight or else they're gonna be in for a rude comeuppance in Italy in 2023.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

I thought Spieth played pretty well all week. The only player that was off on the US squad was Berger to me. Granted the broadcast was complete shit so hard to tell 

This. Spieth just couldn't buy a putt but otherwise, his game was solid. He also went up against Rahm/Garcia twice and that Fri/Sat Rahm/Garcia was unreal. Berger was really the only dud. 

Spieth still has one of the best records on the team outside the rookies despite his singles record and some of you are already claiming he shouldn't be on the next team. Lulz.

2 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Well, it's Westwood and Poulter playing in what is almost certainly their last RC. They would have rather died on the course than lose, especially Poulter. That's the message they're sending to the younger generation of Euros, and why the US had better keep their shit wired tight or else they're gonna be in for a rude comeuppance in Italy in 2023.

The younger generation of Euros better come quick because there are 8 Americans who didn't make the American Ryder team (Horschel, Reed, Simpson, Burns, Na, Kokrak, Homa and Zalatoris) who are ranked above half the Euros who made the Euro Ryder team.

3 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

He wouldn’t have been on this team if it hadn’t been postponed a year. Lots can change between now and 2023. 

Exactly, kind of early to be claiming someone should or shouldn't be on the team in 2 years. 

Also, Harris, Scottie, and maybe Tony and Berger don't make this team if the cup wasn't delayed a year. That's not unique to Spieth.

4 hours ago, alincoln said:

The younger generation of Euros better come quick because there are 8 Americans who didn't make the American Ryder team (Horschel, Reed, Simpson, Burns, Na, Kokrak, Homa and Zalatoris) who are ranked above half the Euros who made the Euro Ryder team.

hasn't it been that way most of the time? just the way the world rankings work.

the key is to look at Euros who are in college in the US right now and playing well.  I think it is no coincidence that Rahm and Hovland are 2 of their best players.

there was some false sense of security with the Euros after the back to back complete drubbings we took in 04 and 06.  those teams were awful with Phil trying to control everything and Tiger really focused on Jack.

if Medinah(yes i know Brookline) doesn't happen its 10-11 since 1979 with many 1 point, 2point type victories.  since they added all europe this was going to be a 50/50 type deal, which was the point.  GBI didn't have enough people to compete.

have the Euros been better over the last 30 years? yes, they won a bunch of the close ones, to their credit, but it was never as far off as it appeared.  I do believe the euros want it more because they don't get the worldwide recognition like the US PGA tour guys.

Our guys chase Jack, Tiger, Watson, Palmer, etc.  Thats the US bar. majors and PGA victories.  we just need to out-talent them and make sure we are really getting our best players out there.  I don't think our team room is ever really going to be like the Euros but it can get close and that should be good enough.  Stricker is right. If you want to win, make sure they prepare for the course, don't do stupid shit like pair Tiger with Phil, and let these guys play golf.

1 hour ago, dieucla98 said:

Exactly, kind of early to be claiming someone should or shouldn't be on the team in 2 years. 

Also, Harris, Scottie, and maybe Tony and Berger don't make this team if the cup wasn't delayed a year. That's not unique to Spieth.

Agreed.  Glad to have a lopsided ass kicking victory but let's tap the brakes on this (or any other) team dominating again in/for however many years.  So much can change in golf in a short amount of time.  Great GREAT victory to be celebrated and hopefully everyone stays healthy. 

The more Euros that leave for the US at 18 and end up living here, marrying Americans and having American kids, the better for the US Ryder Cup team.  The Ryder Cup ultimately becomes a competition between Euro immigrants to the US and US born players.  Sergio and Rahm were speaking to each other in American English during the Ryder Cup rounds. Hovland almost has an American accent.  

1 hour ago, alincoln said:

The more Euros that leave for the US at 18 and end up living here, marrying Americans and having American kids, the better for the US Ryder Cup team.  The Ryder Cup ultimately becomes a competition between Euro immigrants to the US and US born players.  Sergio and Rahm were speaking to each other in American English during the Ryder Cup rounds. Hovland almost has an American accent.  

7F72A15B-0973-4521-A36F-36E0AD011CEC.gif

Guido Migliozzi will be on the 2023 European Ryder Cup team for sure.  with the matches in Italy, he'll either qualify or be a captain's pick. he had a T-4 at the U.S. Open this year.  he's only 24.  currently ranked 67 in the world.  dude can play and will get better.

not sure what went wrong with Francesco Molinari, but you know he's gonna work his ass off to be on that team in 2023.  dude was 5-0 in 2018.  two Italians on the team would be cool.  the atmosphere needs to be jacked up.  and we need to bitch slap them on their home soil.

21 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

Guido Migliozzi will be on the 2023 European Ryder Cup team for sure.  with the matches in Italy, he'll either qualify or be a captain's pick. he had a T-4 at the U.S. Open this year.  he's only 24.  currently ranked 67 in the world.  dude can play and will get better.

not sure what went wrong with Francesco Molinari, but you know he's gonna work his ass off to be on that team in 2023.  dude was 5-0 in 2018.  two Italians on the team would be cool.  the atmosphere needs to be jacked up.  and we need to bitch slap them on their home soil.

well you can't have a rider cup in Italy without having a Guido on the team...