2020 Ryder Cup

smwhorn

On 8/17/2021 at 2:33 PM, TonyTexas said:

I was listening to a recent No Laying Up podcast and they were saying that the Euros were laughing at our team pairings. The Euros have left us in the dust in the use  of analytics. I hope Stricker and his support staff have embraced it and expanded their toolbox. 

i need to go find this. sounds very interesting.

Sutton pairing Tiger and Phil in 2004 because he wanted to teach them a lesson about teamwork was the height of stupidity.

7 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

I think, and judging from your username I think you probably agree, that it is healthy to have a few athletes on your personal hate list.  I fucking hate Patrick Reed.

Absolutely and I understand.  But he has come up big in the Ryder Cup before and he is just the kind of Ugly American we need...even if not the one we deserve. 

Morikawa, DJ, and these 3 are officially qualified.  Finau currently sits in 6th and would get the final auto selection today, but Xander and Spieth are right behind him and could pass him.  Either way, these 8 will be on the team.  So now looking at 4 spots.  P Reed's health issues might keep him out.  who knows.

Edited by Jive Turkey

Assuming Morikawa, DJ, Xander, JT, Dechambeau, Koepka, Finau, Jordan, I'd fill it out with:

- Reed - gag, but he wins.

- Cantlay - consistently good all year, Top 25 in 15 of 22 tournaments.

- Scheffler - probably some Texas bias, but 3 straight Top 8 finishes in majors and match play performance this year (fuckstomped Poulter and Rahm) are plus.  

- English - streaky, but when he's on, he's money.

If Reed can't go, put Kisner in there.  Tempted to go with Kisner over English, but like the upside of English more.

23 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

Patrick Cantlay grabs the sixth auto spot.

starting to wonder if Patrick Reed will be ready to go.  he's missed the last 3 events.  we'll see if he plays in Atlanta this week.

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/patrick-reed-returns-tour-championship-after-battle-pneumonia

Curious to see how well he plays.

Also, I was listening to the Fred Couples show on the golf channel on the ray-dee-o and Couples said if Reed is healthy enough to play he is a lock and should be on the team.  Called it "an absolute no-brainer" or words to that effect.  I was surprised truthfully about how adamant he was about it.

Edited by smwhorn

On 8/24/2021 at 5:46 PM, sidis said:

i went to 2018 ryder cup in paris.

holy shit, every single player on the team besides jt and webb fucking simpson completely shit the bed that weekend.

especially dj.  he got his ass smoked all weekend.  completely shit the bed.

I went in 2004 in Detroit (so your humblebrag is a million times better) - and talk about shitting the bed, the US sucked. Euro's won the fourball matches 6-2. and the singles 7.5-4.5. Tiger went 2-3, Phil 1-3 (and fucking Hal Sutton put them together on Friday and they went 0-2). 
I love Oakland Hills, but 30,000 people chasing 4 matches (Friday/Saturday) is a clusterfuck, watching the PGA there in 2008  was a much better experience (except the thunderstorm & Harrington winning)

42 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

I went in 2004 in Detroit (so your humblebrag is a million times better) - and talk about shitting the bed, the US sucked. Euro's won the fourball matches 6-2. and the singles 7.5-4.5. Tiger went 2-3, Phil 1-3 (and fucking Hal Sutton put them together on Friday and they went 0-2). 
I love Oakland Hills, but 30,000 people chasing 4 matches (Friday/Saturday) is a clusterfuck, watching the PGA there in 2008  was a much better experience (except the thunderstorm & Harrington winning)

yeah, le golf national was actually pretty friendly for the huge crowds relatively speaking but it still just sucked chasing four matches at any time with a billion other people.  after that, i decided ryder cup was off the list of in-person events because it just isn't worth it.  despite the entertainment of it, match play in general really isn't worth it to attend live other than early rounds where there's enough matches to have numerous holes at once.  if tiger is playing, it can actually be nice as all the morons create seismic events creepily following every step he takes around the course so the other matches are pretty up close and personal.

• Hook 'Em 1

Our caddie at WS brought up several things I hadn't thought about.  #1.  While looking at the stands we notice the stands at 18 were pretty small.  He said very few matches make it to 18 and they were thinking about alternating 1-10 as starting holes so fans could sit on 9 or 18 and see something.  

#2.  He said the home team captain sets the pin and tee positions.  He said if the US was ahead, he'd set the pins easy to keep the birdies rolling but if the US was behind, he would set them hard to slow down the Euros.  

3 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

If it was this weekend I’d be all for Na but with a 3 week layoff I’d take Scottie. 

I think Na has a higher ceiling but his floor concerns me.

Either way I'm not going to expect much from the 12 spot. If they play well it's gravy.

10 minutes ago, pops said:

Na is peaking. Tough to leave him off. 

He's also older and has had some better highs on tour. 

I think Scottie is a great golfer with a bright future but I'd like to see him win a couple before going into the highest pressure environment in the game. 

Who knows - maybe they both make it. 

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

Scottie already has twice as many top 10’s in majors than Na. That tells me more about performing in pressure events than a Sony open win. 

and he seems to be a damn good match play guy.  can make tons of birdies.  I'd go with Scottie.

any history of Na at WS?  could be a horses for courses type of decision.

2 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Scottie already has twice as many top 10’s in majors than Na. That tells me more about performing in pressure events than a Sony open win. 

C'mon man. Don't be misleading. Scottie has 4, Na has 2. That doesn't move the needle much for me. Scottie is 21st in the OWGR and Na is 24th. That carries more weight imo.

I'm not super opinionated either way. Na is hotter at the moment and has a few wins in the past couple years. Scottie is overall the better golfer. 

Like I said - I wouldn't expect much from either of them. Anything we get from our 12th spot is a bonus. 

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

C'mon man. Don't be misleading. Scottie has 4, Na has 2. That doesn't move the needle much for me. Scottie is 21st in the OWGR and Na is 24th. That carries more weight imo.

I'm not super opinionated either way. Na is hotter at the moment and has a few wins in the past couple years. Scottie is overall the better golfer. 

Like I said - I wouldn't expect much from either of them. Anything we get from our 12th spot is a bonus. 

I think his point was Scottie has much less time on tour and he's already got twice as many as Na with many fewer chances.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I think his point was Scottie has much less time on tour and he's already got twice as many as Na with many fewer chances.

I'm aware what point he's making but when both guys have less than 5 it isn't that compelling. Scottie also has a habit of hanging around in majors and not really contending. Not that Na has ever seriously contended for a major. 

24 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm aware what point he's making but when both guys have less than 5 it isn't that compelling. Scottie also has a habit of hanging around in majors and not really contending. Not that Na has ever seriously contended for a major. 

well Scottie has 4 top 10's in the last 7 majors(2 years worth) plus a final appearance in the match play this year.

Na has missed 4 cuts in the last 7 majors along with 2 top 15's at the masters and was 1-2 in the match play. 

sure if Scottie had 4 over the last 16 years like Na has 2 over the last 16 years I'd be in agreement.

to your point its the 12th guy but Scottie has a way better chance of birdie-ing some euro into bolivian than Na IMO.

• Hook 'Em 1