The Highwaymen - Netflix Film - Woody, Costner

Don Johnson

Super stoked for this.  In my days at UT, I found a book about Bonnie and Clyde at Half Price Books and went down the rabbit hole of reading books about this era of gagsters and criminals, John Dillinger, Baby Face Nelson, Machine Gun Kelly, Barker-Karpis Gang, etc.  Public Enemies was one of my favorite books but I wasn't the biggest fan of the movie.  This movie though looks pretty solid.  

Definitely doesn't appear to glamorize Bonnie and Clyde.

Frank Hamer's (Costner) family has to feel a little redemption, after his portrayal in Bonnie and Clyde.  Note from that film:

The film strays furthest from fact in its portrayal of the Texas Ranger Frank Hamer as a vengeful bungler who had been captured, humiliated, and released by Bonnie and Clyde. In real life, Hamer was already a legendary and decorated Texas Ranger when he was coaxed out of semi-retirement to hunt down the duo; indeed he had never seen them until the moment he and his posse ambushed them near Gibsland, Louisiana on May 23, 1934.[30] In 1968, Hamer's widow and son sued the movie producers for defamation of character over his portrayal and were awarded an out-of-court settlement in 1971.[31]

Edited by Don Johnson

On their way home to Van, Texas after eloping to Louisiana my grandparents stopped to pick up a hitchhiker, which wasn't unusual in those days.  My grandmother always claimed that the next day the Van Zandt County Sheriff arrived to interview them because he claimed they had unwittingly given a ride to a member of the Barrow Gang, which had split up in different directions after a bank robbery.  I've tried to reconcile the wedding date with a history of Bonnie & Clyde, but never could.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, justinjc7 said:

Public Enemies was one of my favorite books but I wasn't the biggest fan of the movie.  This movie though looks pretty solid.  

Agree.  Burroughs' book is terrific, but I was disappointed in Mann for all the factual liberties he took in the movie, esp. given his reputation for realism.  I understand why he structured the movie the way he did, but it bothered me that he had Nelson getting killed in a shootout before Dillinger died.  Someday, a director is going to do an accurate portrayal of the shootout that left Nelson mortally wounded after he killed Cowley and Hollis, and it will be amazing.  That event is one of the most badass shooting incidents involving law enforcement in the 20th century.   

4 hours ago, justinjc7 said:

John Dillinger, 

My family used to vacation at this little lake fishing place in the north woods of Wisconsin. I got to visit the "Little Bohemia" lodge where the FBI had a shootout with Dillinger, walls still hav ethe bullet holes in this. Thought it was the coolest thing as a kid. 

Beginning in 1922 Hamer, as senior captain of the Texas Rangers, led the fight in Texas against the Ku Klux Klan. During his long career he saved fifteen African Americans from lynch mobs. The story of his battles to protect blacks in Texas was unknown until the 2016 publication of John Boessenecker's biography of Hamer.

In 1930 Hamer and a handful of Rangers protected a black rape suspect from a mob of 6,000 in Sherman, Texas. He personally shot and wounded two of the mob's leaders and forced the lynchers to flee the courthouse. However, the mob set fire to the courthouse and the prisoner died in the raging inferno. Hamer thus became the first and only Texas Ranger to lose a prisoner to a lynch mob.

e8001cd8b71f23351582f37ab1325483a8967020

I really want to know more about this story.   Hamer’s wife being accused of murdering her ex is intriguing.

https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth126101/m1/1/

they didn’t like Hamer killing the guy.  

G. McMeans of Odessa, former state ranger and sheriff of Ector County was killed in a pistol battle with Frank and Gus Hamer of Snyder here this afternoon.   McMeans was shot thru the heart while he and Frank Hamer were clinched. Frank Hamer was shot through the left shoulder and left thigh, but is not fatally wounded.  

The battle which is said to be an outgrowth of the Sims-Johnson case at Snyder, took place in the City garage where McMeans and the Hamers met by chance.  All were on their way to Baird to attend the trial of a murder case growing out of the killing of Ed Sims, McMeans brother-in-law, at Snyder a year ago by his wife and her brother, Johnson.  

Frank Hamer’s wife is the widow of Ed Sims, with whose death she was charged jointly with her brother.  The trial of the brother was transferred to Baird.  

Frank Hamer, his wide, Gus Hamer, and Johnson and his wife were on the way by automobile to Baird.  McMeans, in an automobile driven by an employee, H.E. Philips, drove in the garage to purchase gasoline, and found the Hamer pair there. 

Ten shots were fired in the battle.  Seven revolvers, two automatic pistols and three repeating rifles were taken from members of the two parties.  

• Like 1

Beginning in 1922 Hamer, as senior captain of the Texas Rangers, led the fight in Texas against the Ku Klux Klan. During his long career he saved fifteen African Americans from lynch mobs. The story of his battles to protect blacks in Texas was unknown until the 2016 publication of John Boessenecker's biography of Hamer.
In 1930 Hamer and a handful of Rangers protected a black rape suspect from a mob of 6,000 in Sherman, Texas. He personally shot and wounded two of the mob's leaders and forced the lynchers to flee the courthouse. However, the mob set fire to the courthouse and the prisoner died in the raging inferno. Hamer thus became the first and only Texas Ranger to lose a prisoner to a lynch mob.
e8001cd8b71f23351582f37ab1325483a89670205204c98f70b0969b059da2ce.jpg

Seems like he needed that BAR.

Wow, this thing had a much different cast when it was originally conceived. 

Around 2005, producer Casey Silver began to develop The Highwaymen an original pitch from John Fusco that once had Paul Newman and Robert Redford poised to play the veteran Texas Rangers who put an end to the violent robbery spree of Bonnie and Clyde.

The project had been a long-time goal of Fusco's to portray Texas Ranger Frank Hamer in the proper light of history. Fusco researched extensively in Texas and became friends with Hamer's son, the late Frank Hamer Jr. By 2013, the project was under development at Universal Pictures.

On 2/21/2019 at 11:21 AM, Pato del Muerto said:

The Bermuda Gold jewelry shop in grapevine always made a show about how Bonnie and Clyde robbed the place, which was a bank back then. Including having the bullet riddled car outside during grape fest. So, ya know, close to home. Go mustangs. 

The last two Texas Hwy patrolmen they killed were at Dove rd and hwy 114. Enough was enough so ambush here we come.....

Edited by Turkleton
  • Like 1

My uncle, COL Charles Crawford,  was the Assistant Adjutant General of the Texas National Guard in the 1930's and knew Hamer and Manigault. (This was before the Rangers were put under the DPS.)  I can remember Charlie and my Dad talking about those days and recall specifically the name "Manigault" being mentioned--mostly because it sounded odd for a name and I couldn't tell if was all one name or a first and last name.  This would have been in '60 or '61 because Charlie died in '62.  Charlie may have had some of the weapons taken from Bonnie and Clyde's vehicle, but I don't recall that for sure.  He did have a BAR in the hall closet.  The Beatty/Dunnaway ('68) movie really made them famous --they had been known for sure but not at all like Dillinger, Baby-Face, et al.  

Hamer wrote an autobiography, I'm Frank Hamer; I got a copy in the 1980's at Powell's Books in Portland.  The Bossenecker (?) book is a 'warts and all" narrative and well worth reading.  At one point Hamer went to LA for some reason and Roy Rogers asked him for his autograph.

Mrs. Idahorn's nephew, Josh, had some very minor role in the production are for the Costner movie, perhaps because his folks owned some property less than a mile from the ambush site.  Since credit sequences can now last for hours, maybe his name will appear.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2019 at 9:17 PM, atomheartbevo said:

I really want to know more about this story.   Hamer’s wife being accused of murdering her ex is intriguing.

https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth126101/m1/1/

they didn’t like Hamer killing the guy.  

The tagline of that paper is amazing. "Only Paper in Stonewall County."

What makes it next level is the fact that it omits "The." It's as if the editor of the paper is some guy whittling on his porch and is smugly daring you to try and get Stonewall County news somewhere else. 

• Haha 1